monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

layman

Mon 10 Apr, 2017 05:59 pm
@Lash,
The planes aint.
jcboy

Mon 10 Apr, 2017 06:16 pm
Trump could have done more damage to that airfield if he had just purchased it and run it as a business!
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 10 Apr, 2017 06:17 pm
This is a must read.

It is vitally important to understand how the Federalist Society has weaponized the American judiciary to forward conservative movement ideology.
Quote:
THE CONSERVATIVE PIPELINE TO THE SUPREME COURT
With the Federalist Society, Leonard Leo has reared a generation of originalist élites. The selection of Neil Gorsuch is just his latest achievement.
By Jeffrey Toobin

...The students did start the Federalist Society from scratch, but it is less clear that tremendous courage was required. Within just a few years, the group was embraced and funded by a number of powerful, wealthy conservative organizations, which eventually included foundations associated with John Olin, Lynde and Harry Bradley, Richard Scaife, and the Koch brothers. “The funders all got the idea right away—that you can win elections, you can have mass mobilizations, but unless you can change élites and the institutions that are by and large controlled by the élites, like the courts, there are limits to what you can do,” Amanda Hollis-Brusky, a professor of politics at Pomona College and the author of “Ideas with Consequences,” a study of the Federalist Society, said. “The idea was to train, credential, and socialize a generation of alternative élites.”
NYer
layman

Mon 10 Apr, 2017 06:26 pm
@blatham,
I don't know who Leonard Leo is, but he's obviosly an American hero, it that's true.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Mon 10 Apr, 2017 06:27 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I will add in self defense that I didn't always agree, stat or ever, with what Bob Wells said. Usually he explained, we could vary and grumble. I trust him on Hickenlooper.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Mon 10 Apr, 2017 06:52 pm
@blatham,
Bob worked in Child Services and I am guessing knew Hickenlooper through that.
layman

Mon 10 Apr, 2017 07:02 pm
@blatham,
I predict right now that the Supreme Court will issue a scathing rebuke to the cheese-eatin ninth circuit courts who think that they, not the president, are the in the branch with the authority to set immigration policy.

I also predict that they will, from here on, prohibit any circuit court from attempting to makes its orders "effective nationwide." The over-reach is simply beyond the pale.
0 Replies

layman

Mon 10 Apr, 2017 07:26 pm
Yeah, it kinda shows, eh?

Quote:
General Zaher al-Sakat tells Richard Spencer that he was ordered three times to use chemical weapons against his own people in Syria - but he could not go through with it.

As chief scientific officer in the army's fifth division, he ran chemical weapons operations in the country's southern Deraa province, where the uprising began in March 2011.

Gen Sakat says he was ordered three times to use chemical weapons against his own people, but could not go through with it and replaced chemical canisters with ones containing harmless bleach.

Gen Sakat believes chemical weapons have now been used 34 times, rather than the 14 occasions cited by international intelligence agencies.

He also claims to have his own intelligence that the Syrian president is evading the terms of a Russian-brokered deal to destroy his chemical weapons by transferring some of his stocks to his allies – Hizbollah, in Lebanon, and Iran.

He also insists that all such orders had to come from the top – President Assad himself – despite insistent denials by the regime that it has never used chemical weapons.

Gen Sakat spoke to The Sunday Telegraph last week, his first interview with a western newspaper, as Mr Assad confirmed for the first time what he and much of the rest of the world already knew – that regime possessed a huge arsenal of chemical weapons, and the delivery systems to go along with them.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/syria/10325193/Syria-Assad-regime-ordered-me-to-gas-people-but-I-could-not-do-it.html
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Mon 10 Apr, 2017 07:29 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Snort, things scramble, I agree for at least awhile with Finn.

I don't know re Lash, whom I used to engage sometimes.

She shut me off because I defended her, liking her as being an ok person when we met, my offense being that I was too personal on a2k, mentioning it years later in when some other person didn't like her, that I knew her and liked her.

Honey, you were in my house. She reported me when I defended her on something. The mods did not mind. She has been to my small house, liked it.

Jesus.

I remember her wanting to move to New Mexico.
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 10 Apr, 2017 07:35 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

You've no idea of what a "World War" means.

You have no idea what 'proxy' means.
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 10 Apr, 2017 07:41 pm
@layman,
Not trying to be argumentative, but the turn-around on replacing the strip is much more problematic in wartime. The US and Russia are loaded with loaners for all terrorists, varied and sundry.
layman

Mon 10 Apr, 2017 07:49 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
Not trying to be argumentative...

Well, you seem to be advocating some kinda "iconclastic"stance, without any real basis, and without it being clear what you're advocating.

Is your position that the strikes didn't do enough damage, and that we should have bombed multiple sites, that it?
Lash

Mon 10 Apr, 2017 07:53 pm
@layman,
I think the exercise was a meaningless, incredibly expensive piss in the wind.
layman

Mon 10 Apr, 2017 07:59 pm
@Lash,
Well, you're welcome to that view, but world-wide, it's definitely a minority view.

Is is your position that we should have done absolutely nothing, just like Obama did? Or is it that we should have bombed the living hell out of Assad and his entire air force and thereby avoid a "meaningless exercise?"
McGentrix

Mon 10 Apr, 2017 08:22 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Well, you're welcome to that view, but world-wide, it's definitely a minority view.

Is is your position that we should have done absolutely nothing, just like Obama did? Or is it that we should have bombed the living hell out of Assad and his entire air force and thereby avoid a "meaningless exercise?"

That's a fair question, what should have been our response?
McGentrix

Mon 10 Apr, 2017 08:28 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

This is a must read.

It is vitally important to understand how the Federalist Society has weaponized the American judiciary to forward conservative movement ideology.
Quote:
THE CONSERVATIVE PIPELINE TO THE SUPREME COURT
With the Federalist Society, Leonard Leo has reared a generation of originalist élites. The selection of Neil Gorsuch is just his latest achievement.
By Jeffrey Toobin

...The students did start the Federalist Society from scratch, but it is less clear that tremendous courage was required. Within just a few years, the group was embraced and funded by a number of powerful, wealthy conservative organizations, which eventually included foundations associated with John Olin, Lynde and Harry Bradley, Richard Scaife, and the Koch brothers. “The funders all got the idea right away—that you can win elections, you can have mass mobilizations, but unless you can change élites and the institutions that are by and large controlled by the élites, like the courts, there are limits to what you can do,” Amanda Hollis-Brusky, a professor of politics at Pomona College and the author of “Ideas with Consequences,” a study of the Federalist Society, said. “The idea was to train, credential, and socialize a generation of alternative élites.”
NYer

Did Camlock hijack Blatham's account? Now he's going on about "secret organizations" and infiltrating the Supreme Court.

Everyone knew Trump would be President when Gorsuch was in college and that he would become a Supreme Court nominee. Just common knowledge.
Lash

Mon 10 Apr, 2017 08:54 pm
@layman,
I remember watching an early episode of The West Wing, first time the president had a scene in the Situation Room. We'd suffered some pretty serious provocation, and the military advisors informed the president that there were routine, pre-planned retaliations--the enemy knew what to expect and this is how we do things.

The retaliation is commensurate with the 'infraction,' and I feel that this is probably similar to actual events. So Trump approves spending a few million in a display of ...power? What was our goal? What did we achieve?

It would be useless for me to talk about what I'd do without knowing what really happened in Syria. We'd have to agree on the infraction first, but I think the pre-planned wink and nod retaliation is bullshit. This half-assed never-ending killing is just a pretty ******* expensive chess game that I pay pretty dearly for, but have no say in.

Is this about Iran?

Is it about an embattled president in another sectarian civil war gassing his opposition?

What makes my country arbiter of world behavior and the global janitor? Btw, who's going to bomb us for all the murders around the world that we've committed? Droned and bombed children are just as dead as gassed children.

Anyway, Obama bunted on Iran and left his mess for the next guy. I'm not sure how bad things are re Iran. Will they use nuclear capability to hit Israel? How close are they? Would they really use nukes? What strings are our allies pulling behind the scenes?

Is this solely about the Russian pipeline? Let them have it. We should have moved to other energy sources already.

If it was just gassing, I'd stay home and keep my money and soldiers home. Period. Let France or the UN handle it. We have children in this country who need safe drinking water.

I'm pretty confident that's not in line with your thinking. What would you do?

Btw, if I warned Iran and had evidence they were preparing nuclear strikes against any allies despite my warning, everything would be on the table. No half-measures.

layman

Mon 10 Apr, 2017 09:05 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
I'm pretty confident that's not in line with your thinking. What would you do?
Well, personally, I be all favor of a complete "shock and awe" attack on Damascus, every line of communications they have (radar towers, radio towers, internet lines, satellites, etc.) concommitant with an attack on every government building in every major city every military base of any kind, etc.

That should autta learn em, I figure.

Trump turns out to be kinda a cheese-eater who settles for a "measured" reponse. Well, that's better than nuthin. The messge was sent. If they wan't another message, they'll get that, too.
0 Replies

Lash

Mon 10 Apr, 2017 09:06 pm
@McGentrix,

I'd like to hear what you'd've done.
McGentrix

Mon 10 Apr, 2017 09:10 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I'd like to hear what you'd've done.

Well, I am not the one that said

Lash wrote:

I think the exercise was a meaningless, incredibly expensive piss in the wind.

However, I'd have talked with my military advisers and the Joint-Chiefs of staff and then launched 59 Tomahawk cruise missiles at the airport in Syria where the mission left from.