monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

izzythepush

Wed 29 Mar, 2017 10:15 am
@thack45,
That's not the video I've seen doing the rounds.

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 29 Mar, 2017 10:30 am
@izzythepush,
I have visited Moscow, and has an a2k acquaintance, Sergei, who give me a tour of his city after my visit to the Tretyakov Gallery. I also visited the Kremlin and GUM department store. Did the cruise from Moscow to St Petersburg. Visited the Hermitage and St Catherine's Palace.
While in Havana, Cuba, met Oleg from Moscow, and a woman who was at Floridita bar, and I took her picture with her camera with Ernest Hemingway's statue sitting at the end of the bar.
Would love to return to Cuba for another visit. We know Hiroshi Robaina who owns one of the largest tobacco farms in Cuba. We also have friends at Nactional Hotel and some restaurants.
Their cigars are world class, and so are their prices. My buddy and I have indulged in $50 cigars.
Baldimo

Wed 29 Mar, 2017 10:34 am
@Blickers,
How much more wrong can you be. Sure there was a grandfather law, but the ability to keep that status was very very slim. The "If you like you plan you can keep it..." lie, was indeed a lie and politifact said it was the lie of the year in 2013. They even explain why it was the lie of the year.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2013/dec/12/lie-year-if-you-like-your-health-care-plan-keep-it/
izzythepush

Wed 29 Mar, 2017 10:40 am
@cicerone imposter,
Cuba is not Russia, and in any event the people are not the same as the rulers.
cicerone imposter

Wed 29 Mar, 2017 10:50 am
@izzythepush,
As a matter of fact, Cubans like Americans. Many of their cars are 1950s US autos. When we are there, everybody is friendly to us. Even though they are poor by world standards earning around $20 a month, most people seem happy. They have two currencies; one for locals and the other for tourists. Many things they buy are subsidized by the government.
I should add that my buddy and I have traveled all over Cuba. The reason we are able to is simply that my buddy speaks fluent Spanish. We have visited most of the big cities.
Things have improved after Raul took over the government. We were advised not to talk politics in Cuba.
Most bars have live music. We have our favorite bars in the cities we visit.

Blickers

Wed 29 Mar, 2017 11:28 am
@Baldimo,
Quote Baldimo's article on "you cankeep your doctor":
Quote:
No one knows exactly how many people got[cancellation] notices, because the health insurance market is largely private and highly fragmented. Analysts estimated the number at about 4 million (and potentially higher), out of a total insured population of about 262 million.

That was less than 2 percent, but there was no shortage of powerful anecdotes about canceled coverage.

2 percent of the existing insurances covered being cancelled because they could not meet even the reduced standards the ACA required for existing insurance policies-those existing policies did NOT have to meet the same standards the ACA policies did-is not a significant number, sorry. Even your article admits that.

One thing that needs saying: Before the ACA, there were a lot of crappy health care policies out there. Policies with super high deductibles and little coverage-even emergency room care was not covered. Employers, especially those who paid low wages, bought them because that way they could say they offered a health care plan. But when somebody really needed it, they had little applicable coverage. The ACA allowed existing policies a break and did not require them to meet the standards the ACA policies had-but they wouldn't allow junk policies to take the place of the ACA policies. Those small amount of cancellations were mostly those junk policies, and 4 million cancellations out of 262 milion people covered is essentially minuscule.
McGentrix

Wed 29 Mar, 2017 11:43 am
@Blickers,
I never had a high deductible health insurance until obamacare came along. Never even knew they existed.
revelette1

Wed 29 Mar, 2017 11:44 am
@McGentrix,
Yeah right.
izzythepush

Wed 29 Mar, 2017 11:55 am
@McGentrix,
Lick, lick, slurp, slurp, grovel, grovel.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Wed 29 Mar, 2017 11:55 am
http://consjournal.com/russia-goes-public-on-obama-secrets-that-happened-during-president-obamas-terms-in-office/
0 Replies

izzythepush

Wed 29 Mar, 2017 11:56 am
@cicerone imposter,
I'm sure they do, and that's probably because only the nice ones like you make the effort to go there.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Wed 29 Mar, 2017 11:58 am
@Blickers,
Quote:
2 percent of the existing insurances covered being cancelled because they could not meet even the reduced standards the ACA required for existing insurance policies-those existing policies did NOT have to meet the same standards the ACA policies did-is not a significant number, sorry. Even your article admits that.

That has nothing to do with the fact that more people lost their insurance than Obama admitted would when he and the DNC were pushing the ACA. They still listed it as the lie of the year. He lied, he didn't say some would lose their plans, he said you could keep your plan if you liked it. Liking your plan didn't take into effect that govt regulations would make it impossible to keep your plan. It was a lie and he was called on it.

Quote:
One thing that needs saying: Before the ACA, there were a lot of crappy health care policies out there.

According to who? You? Since when do you get to tell people their plans are crappy? If they liked them it was their issue, not your issue to change.

Quote:
Policies with super high deductibles and little coverage-even emergency room care was not covered.

Do you have any stats or facts to back this up? I'm sure there were plans offered with no emergency services, and that should have been someones choice if they wanted that type of coverage or not.

Quote:
Employers, especially those who paid low wages, bought them because that way they could say they offered a health care plan. But when somebody really needed it, they had little applicable coverage.

Once again, do you have any facts to back this up? You are spouting more of the same BS propaganda that was used to push the ACA. What percentage of people had these types of insurance plans?

Quote:
The ACA allowed existing policies a break and did not require them to meet the standards the ACA policies had-but they wouldn't allow junk policies to take the place of the ACA policies.

No they didn't. They had such narrow confines of change that it was impossible to make a slight change to the policy without cancelling the policy.

What you call "junk policies" is a personal opinion and more ACA propaganda. In fact if a policy didn't have BC coverage, it was considered junk, even though the people who held the policy didn't want or require insurance for something that couldn't happen to them. It defies the logic of what insurance is for.

Quote:
Those small amount of cancellations were mostly those junk policies, and 4 million cancellations out of 262 milion people covered is essentially minuscule.

More ACA propaganda. Going by Obama's and other DNC members words, no one should have lost a policy they liked. It didn't meet an artificial standard set by the govt, so they were junk? Of course I have to remember we are dealing with a group of people who think they know what is better for me than I do.
Baldimo

Wed 29 Mar, 2017 12:07 pm
@McGentrix,
The insurance plan I had prior to the enacting of the ACA had a $1000 max out of pocket per person and $2000 for a family. I had limited but free visits to mental health professionals and all the other bells and whistles I wanted on my insurance plan, to include a really cheap price, $240 a month for the entire family. Queue the ACA and my plan lost the free but limited visits for mental health and added a BC plan but also doubled my out of pocket costs and doubled what I paid per pay period. I went from $240 a month to $520 a month. My labs for blood work went from costing $35 to $140 and my office visits went from $20 to $35 a visit. It hasn't gotten very much better in the couple of years since then either.

I'm still waiting for my $2500 a year in savings and my refund check because my insurance company was screwing me... Rolling Eyes

In fact I wonder if anyone here ever got one of those checks? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
izzythepush

Wed 29 Mar, 2017 01:20 pm
Quote:
President Donald Trump's Mexican border wall may be delayed as Republicans consider putting its funding on hold.

Senator Roy Blunt said cash for the wall would be left out of a spending bill that must pass by 28 April to avert a partial government shutdown.

His remarks came on Tuesday after Mr Trump requested a supplemental funding bill to include money for the wall along with military programmes.

But Mr Blunt signalled Mr Trump's request could complicate negotiations.

"All of the committees, House and Senate leaderships, are working together to try to finalise the rest of the FY17 bill," said Mr Blunt, a senior member of the Appropriations Committee and his party's leadership.

"My guess is that comes together better without the supplemental."

He added that the supplemental funding could be dealt with "at a later time".

Mr Trump had proposed $1.5bn (£1.2bn) for his wall through Congress as part of the spending bill, which funds federal agencies to the end of the current fiscal year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39434413
0 Replies

izzythepush

Wed 29 Mar, 2017 01:24 pm
Quote:
Two anti-abortion activists who secretly recorded conversations with Planned Parenthood have each been charged with 15 felonies in California.

David Daleiden and Sandra Merritt filmed undercover videos of themselves trying to buy foetal tissue, California Attorney General Xavier Becerra said.

The pair created a fictitious bio-research firm and used fake identities for meetings with the healthcare group.

Prosecutors say their actions invaded people's privacy.

"The right to privacy is a cornerstone of California's constitution, and a right that is foundational in a free democratic society," Mr Becerra said.
"We will not tolerate the criminal recording of confidential conversations."

Planned Parenthood is a non-profit group that provides reproductive health services to mostly lower-income Americans. Some of its clinics perform abortions.

According to the charges, Mr Daleiden and Ms Merritt engineered meetings with staff from Planned Parenthood and StemExpress, a California company that provides blood and tissue for medical research.

They allegedly taped people without consent 14 times between October 2013 and July 2015.

The pair face a charge for each individual secretly recorded, and a further count of criminal conspiracy to invade privacy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39435826
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Wed 29 Mar, 2017 01:24 pm
0 Replies

hightor

Wed 29 Mar, 2017 01:42 pm
As far as the ACA goes, I know it's left a lot of people really frustrated — mostly upper middle income people who get no subsidy and carry a huge deductible.
I don't blame this on the law; I blame it on politics. It was a fifteen hundred page bill which took over a year to put together and another year to get up and running — barely. In a functional democracy the problems with the law would have been studied, assessed, and addressed. But in the USA the last thing the opposition wanted was for the bill to succeed. So immediately the lawsuits began, the funding was disrupted, and many states refused to expand Medicare or do anything to make the plan function as it was supposed to. "Great!" conservatives will say. But they really shouldn't condemn the law. It would be more appropriate to brag about their party's role in causing its failure.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Wed 29 Mar, 2017 02:14 pm
Johnny Rotten: '...a dead dog would have beaten Hillary....'

http://radio.com/2017/03/29/the-who-roger-daltrey-brexit-hillary-clinton/
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 29 Mar, 2017 02:14 pm
@Baldimo,
Anyone, even those without insurance, must be treated at emergency rooms.
https://www.acep.org/news-media-top-banner/emtala/
McGentrix

Wed 29 Mar, 2017 02:21 pm
@Baldimo,
I worked for Blue Cross for a few years. You'd be surprised how bad their employee insurance is, but it wasn't horrible. We had a co-pay but no dental or vision. As I left, they had just started pushing out the HMO idea. Next job had awesome insurance. Global company, cared about employees. Next couple were all HMO's always hunting down least expensive best coverage. Wasn't until my current job that they switched insurance from what I thought was going to be a sweet plan to this high deductible ****. Little bait and switch on me, but c'est la vie. They will pay me not be on company plan if I can find something better... which I can't thanks to Obamacare.
0 Replies