monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

hightor

Sun 26 Mar, 2017 07:12 am
@Builder,
What do you think? Clinton may have been unappealing but at least she wasn't unqualified. And she wouldn't be laying waste to the EPA, treating Mexico as an enemy, glorifying Putin, or stuffing the courts with judicial neanderthals. Not an ideal choice, but not a difficult one at all.
Builder

Sun 26 Mar, 2017 07:13 am
@hightor,
The EPA was compromised already, and so was HRC.

Given crappy alternatives, the people chose the best of the worst, for mine.

Can't really call it democracy, but it hasn't been such for the longest time.
farmerman

Sun 26 Mar, 2017 07:20 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Those pictures remind me of the time when, as a teenager, we were chased from a "END THE WAR IN VIETNAM" rally by these guys in hrdhats, who represented the "Silent majority" , Spiro Agnews sturm troopers.

We have so many times to be "proud of"
jcboy

Sun 26 Mar, 2017 07:45 am
Razz

izzythepush

Sun 26 Mar, 2017 08:22 am
Quote:
President Trump's former national security adviser, Michael Flynn, discussed removing from the US a Muslim cleric wanted by Turkey, according to ex-CIA director James Woolsey.

Turkey accuses the cleric, Fethullah Gulen, of orchestrating last July's failed coup.

In a video interview, Mr Woolsey told the Wall Street Journal he was present at a discussion about removal methods beyond the legal extradition process.

Mr Flynn disputes Mr Woolsey's account.

The meeting took place last September at a New York Hotel.

Those present included Mr Flynn, then an adviser on national security to the Trump election campaign, the son-in-law of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, and Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu, according to the WSJ (paywall).
Mr Woolsey, then also advising the Trump campaign, admitted he might not have heard "some kind of caveat" because he arrived late for the meeting.

But he told the WSJ: "There was serious discussion of finding some way to move Mr Gulen out of the US to Turkey.

"You might call it brainstorming. But it was brainstorming about a very serious matter that would pretty clearly be a violation of law."

He went on: "It was a serious and troubling discussion but it did not, repeat not, in my portion of being in the room, rise to a level of being a specific plan to undertake a felonious act."

In a later interview with CNN, Mr Woolsey called the meeting "suspicious" and "concerning", saying: "I felt I needed to say something to somebody, but was it a clear plot that they were going to seize him? No."

A spokesman for Mr Flynn, whose consulting company Flynn Intel Group carried out work for the Turkish government, disputed Mr Woolsey's version of events.

"At no time did Gen Flynn discuss any illegal actions, non-judicial physical removal or any other such activities," he said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39391911

Just to confirm a few facts before the wilfully ignorant try to run off on a tangent about Al Qaida leaders being sheltered in the USA. Erdogan was swept to power by conservative Islam. The army lead attempted coup was secular, not condoning it in any away, but Erdogan's crack down post coup is fascistic and dictatorial.
0 Replies

hightor

Sun 26 Mar, 2017 08:32 am
@Builder,
Quote:
The EPA was compromised already, and so was HRC.

What do you expect? Everything's "compromised" in the name of profit in this corporatist hell hole. The whole enterprise is a tottering tower of denial built over a morass of ignorance and greed.
Quote:
Can't really call it democracy...

Why not? Do you think that the "voice of the people" is something sacred, that our "leaders" are special, or that voting is anything more than an affirmation of subservience or a stamp of approval?
0 Replies

layman

Sun 26 Mar, 2017 09:15 am
@Walter Hinteler,
You forgot to tell the story of who's being hit, and why, eh, Walt?

These black-clad, masked thugs, with gas masks, are anti-Trump rioters who, among other acts of violence, spray gas in Trump supporter's faces (hence their gas masks, to protect themselves from their own noxious fumes).

Quote:
Nancy Chase, who held a sign reading “Grandmothers for Trump,” told an SFGATE reporter that she was there to show support for the president “in a positive way.”

“I’m not looking for violence,” she said. “These people just want to fight. They are anarchists in black, and it’s not what we are about. I just want to stand up for liberty.”

David Tomes, another pro-Trump marcher, told the Bay Area newspaper, said “this is the most immature and disgusting display of human interaction."

Berkeley Police Officer Byron White said 10 arrests were made: one for resisting arrest, four for assault with a deadly weapon, including a dagger, and five for battery. About seven medical evaluations were made on the scene. None of the injured wanted to be taken to the hospital.

Chakko said among the other items police confiscated at the rally were metal pipes, bats and two-by-fours.

“A group of people carrying bricks were detained and the bricks were confiscated,” he said

Berkeley Police Officer Byron White said 10 arrests were made: one for resisting arrest, four for assault with a deadly weapon, including a dagger, and five for battery. About seven medical evaluations were made on the scene. None of the injured wanted to be taken to the hospital.

Chakko said among the other items police confiscated at the rally were metal pipes, bats and two-by-fours.

“A group of people carrying bricks were detained and the bricks were confiscated,” he said.

Berkeley was not the only city that reported clashes between demonstrators.

Six people protesting a Trump rally in St. Paul, Minn., were arrested on felony riot charges after they lit fireworks inside the Minnesota State Capitol and fled, police told the Associated Press. About 400 people attended the St. Paul event, and about 50 showed up to protest it. Some other minor scuffles between the dueling demonstrators were quickly defused.

Metal pipes, bats, 2 x 4's, pepper spray, bricks, fireworks? Sound familiar? The are the same implements of destruction these same thugs used to do over $100,000 is damage and extensive personal injury to Trump supporters in Berkeley a month or so ago, when Milo's talk was cancelled due to their violence, eh?
0 Replies

giujohn

Sun 26 Mar, 2017 09:17 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

It wasn't racist at all. It was a joke, and it was funny. There is no need for thinking people to themselves succumb to the nonsensical group think paradigms of contemporary progressives. That stuff is for folks like Blatham (at least when it suits him to make a point in his propaganda). Happily he does have a sense of humor and summons sufficient hypocrisy to occasionally let humor and common sense to trump this nonsense.

And if I had posted that where she said, "I once slept with a black guy", the liberals here would have been on me like stink on a monkey.

So is this racist...Why do blacks hate taking aspirin? Because they don't like picking out the cotton.

Or is it funny?
hightor

Sun 26 Mar, 2017 09:27 am
@giujohn,
Quote:
And if I had posted that where she said, "I once slept with a black guy", the liberals here would have been on me like stink on a monkey.

First thing, I doubt anyone would've been scandalized. But more importantly, why do you even care what liberals say? And why are you so sensitive to racial and ethnic references? This isn't the first time I've seen you begging the mods to censor someone for using an ethnic slur or raising an issue of nationality. You tough guys are always going on about how the snowflakes are all so concerned about being "politically correct" and here you are functioning as a study hall monitor. "Teacher, Johnny used the "n" word!" Who cares?

Quote:
So is this racist...Why do blacks hate taking aspirin? Because they don't like picking out the cotton.

Or is it funny?

Neither. Black people aren't relegated to cotton plantations anymore so it just makes the teller sound like an ignoramus.
layman

Sun 26 Mar, 2017 09:37 am
@jcboy,
They made sure to pick a real flamer to represent them, eh?
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 26 Mar, 2017 09:48 am
@hightor,
I disagree with your friend. Pence is very far to the right on any metric and he's far more aligned with the Koch crowd and though the religious right supported Trump, there support for Pence will only be stronger. Because Pence is much more presentable and disciplined than Trump, he will appear a more normal sort of President/leader. He is far more dangerous as a rep of movement conservatism than Trump was and he's far less likely to do/say the sorts of things that will alert Americans to the extremism of the modern party.

The only benefit would be getting rid of the Bannon crowd and Trump himself.
blatham

Sun 26 Mar, 2017 09:50 am
@farmerman,
Where were you then, farmerman? I recall the "hard hat riot" in New York very well. Those were ugly times.
cicerone imposter

Sun 26 Mar, 2017 09:57 am
@blatham,
These are all the lies the Trump administration told this week.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.teenvogue.com/story/lies-trump-administration-fbi-nsa/amp
His approval rating tells the story, even if Trump supporters keeps their blinders on.
McGentrix

Sun 26 Mar, 2017 10:00 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
One of the things you guys keep doing is trying to change the subject and discuss something else instead of the topic that you don't have the right answer for. Comparing illegal immigration to other crimes is a red herring. Stop that.

I'm not sure how to address your objection. If I "change the subject" it may be to question the basis of your argument. In this case I was responding to:
McG wrote:
You'll turn your eyes away from rape and murder because then you'd see that your shitty liberal attitude is responsible for thousands upon thousands of deaths, rapes and other violent crimes every year.

See, I could accuse your side of the same thing with relation to gun violence and the way you guys will "turn you eyes away from gun violence and firearms accidents because then you'd see that your shitty conservative attitude is responsible for thousands upon thousands of deaths from shootings every year." But I wouldn't. Because "your attitude" is not responsible for gun violence. No more than liberals' attitudes are responsible for crimes committed by illegal immigrants. It's not the fact that someone broke the law to arrive here that causes him to commit a crime. I think immigration status should be treated as a "secondary offense", the way seat belt laws are sometimes applied.

Thing is though that we have the 2nd amendment. Add in an amendment to the Constitution that allows for foreigners to cross the border when and how they please and then you can make such a comparison.

In the mean time, you are saying that you approve of the rise in violence being perpetrated by illegals in this country. We will just have to disagree on that. I think one crime by an illegal is 1 too many. You are willing to overlook it and that is the shitty attitude I am talking about.

I just hope that no one here has a family member that gets violated by an illegal. It's just a matter of time though.
hightor

Sun 26 Mar, 2017 10:02 am
@blatham,
Yeah, I can agree with what you're saying. At this point Trump is still an outlier; whether he really captures the GOP is yet to be determined. But Pence might not have the automatic support of the "missing voters" who gave Trump his close victory. He doesn't seem to garner (or desire) the same degree of adulation. He's a conservative, a nasty religious one, but he's not a fascist.
0 Replies

layman

Sun 26 Mar, 2017 10:04 am
@McGentrix,
We need more MS-13 gangstas here, eh? They might get lonely without more of their kind to pal around with, ya know? The border patrol should be abolished, I tellya! It's RACIST!!

http://viralcircus.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/hchUxTI.jpg
hightor

Sun 26 Mar, 2017 10:04 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
You are willing to overlook it and that is the shitty attitude I am talking about.

I'm not "overlooking" anything. If someone commits a serious crime and gets convicted, they do the time. If they're an illegal, they get deported. That's what I mean by treating it as a "secondary offense".

Quote:
I just hope that no one here has a family member that gets violated by an illegal.

That's what I don't understand. I hope no one here has a family member victimized by anyone — I don't get why it's somehow worse if the perp was here illegally.
cicerone imposter

Sun 26 Mar, 2017 10:06 am
@layman,
According to Gallup, Trump's approval rating sits at 41%.
layman

Sun 26 Mar, 2017 10:09 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

According to Gallup, Trump's approval rating sits at 41%.

Heh. Yeah, so?
0 Replies

layman

Sun 26 Mar, 2017 10:14 am
Here they are being trained to embrace the values embodied in the U. S. Constitution, I betcha:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/iSN2NZ1IDwA/hqdefault.jpg
0 Replies