monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Sat 25 Mar, 2017 03:23 am
Quote:
California’s clean-air agency voted on Friday to push ahead with stricter emissions standards for cars and trucks, setting up a potential legal battle with the Trump administration over the state’s plan to reduce planet-warming gases.
NYT
If you live in California, do what you can to support the state in this fight. This is a no-brainer as corporations (and those who speak for them as lobbyists) do not give a goddamn about anything other than profits.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 25 Mar, 2017 03:55 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
What is that you are manufacturing in Germany that you need a 3 year apprenticeship?
Ivanka Trump will visit some apprenticeship centres/schools and get informed about our dual education system when she's in Germany preparing the G-20 summit.
roger

Sat 25 Mar, 2017 03:58 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I'm happy they found something for her to do.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 25 Mar, 2017 04:01 am
@roger,
I wonder, if her apartment in the WH is offered on Airbnb during the period of her absence.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 25 Mar, 2017 04:21 am
Trumpland, where fantasies and lies fall all about like gentle snow crystals
Quote:
“Look, I’m a team player,” Trump said of the Republican Party. “I’ve played this team. I’ve played with the team. And they just fell a little bit short, and it’s very hard when you need almost 100 percent of the votes and we have no votes, zero, from the Democrats. It’s unheard of.

In 2009, the Senate voted for Obamacare without a single GOP vote.
In 2010, the House voted for Obamacare without a single GOP vote.
blatham

Sat 25 Mar, 2017 04:32 am
Draining The Swamp notes from all over.
Quote:
Packed into a ritzy Washington hotel ballroom, a meeting of nearly 1,500 bankers momentarily turned into a pep rally. Be proud of being a banker and of the industry’s record profits, the speaker implored the assembled. In fact, he urged, it’s time to ask Congress for help so the industry can do even better.

“I don’t want a seat at the table. I want the table,” James Ballentine, chief lobbyist of the American Bankers Association, told the crowd.

After spending years humbled by the fallout from the financial crisis, the banking industry is suddenly feeling emboldened. Attendance at the annual association gathering jumped 50 percent this year as bankers sense a rare opportunity with the election of Donald Trump and Republicans’ control of Congress to upend dozens of regulations put in place after the financial
meltdown.
WP
The banks are good guys. Those who regulate banks are the bad guys. What could be more obvious?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sat 25 Mar, 2017 04:32 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Quote:
156 IQ for Trump
And I understand that Frederick Douglas was the proctor for the tests

The only people I've met outside of A2K who even know their IQ score are sad losers who don't have any academic qualifications at all. If you include the semi literate barely coherent ramblings of some idiots on A2K then I can only conclude the IQ test is seriously flawed.

It doesn't seem to be a measure of intelligence at all but of gobbiness and wilful ignorance. When historians look over Trump's presidency the one thing they won't be saying is how smart he was.
izzythepush

Sat 25 Mar, 2017 04:51 am
@blatham,
Analysis from the BBC's North American correspondent.

Quote:
The AHCA was the first major piece of legislation pushed by the White House and the Republican-controlled Congress, a key political test early in the president's term, when he should be at the height of his power and party cohesion at its strongest.

In spite of all of this, Mr Trump, Mr Ryan and the Republicans running Washington could not get the job done.

For Republicans Friday wasn't just bad. It was a disaster.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39388815<br />
Builder

Sat 25 Mar, 2017 04:56 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
When historians look over Trump's presidency the one thing they won't be saying is how smart he was.

Historically, they'll be looking at why there were only two possible candidates, out of 337 million people.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 25 Mar, 2017 05:02 am
@izzythepush,
Yes, a disaster it was. But sane and knowledgeable people saw it coming a mile away. The CBO scoring was broadly predicted. Ryan's long pretense of having the mechanisms in place to produce anything like a superior bill was observed and noted by many as pretense with math that was either left unstated or was just full of mis-statements and incoherence. The attacks on Obamacare were, almost entirely, directed towards fostering anger and hatreds which the GOP correctly presumed - if they did this propagandist con long enough and loud enough - would bear electoral fruit. They wanted the Dem out of office and a Republican in office and everything followed from that.

And they are still running this con as we can see from McConnell's statement yesterday
Quote:
Obamacare is failing the American people and I deeply appreciate the efforts of the Speaker and the president to keep our promise
to repeal and replace it,” McConnell said. “I share their disappointment that this effort came up short.”

These really are terrible people. Power is everything to them. Honesty means nothing - it's an impediment.
0 Replies

farmerman

Sat 25 Mar, 2017 05:13 am
@layman,
we understand that costs are still a function of "Free Market economy". Thats not health care, thats just a different way to support insurance companies. Ive become a real zealot of single payer like its done in countries far more civilized than us.
health Care does not equate with just insurance.I agree that Obamacare needed major fixing to adjust the emans of defining the risk pool. IT DOES NOT NEED TO BE THROWN UNDER THE BUS, Thats just stoopid , petulant, nyah nyahism that both sides ngage in to stick it in the eyes of the other side of the aisle.

AND WE, like the dumbass cattle we are, are quick to join a side and buy into their beliefs like a fuckin religion.

Im a Dem at heart but I became a GOP about 10 years go, just so I could have my vote count in the primaries, thats all. Im part of an interstate environmental "class" to jam it up Trumps ass to forbid him from trashing the Clean Water ACt by allowing new mine wastes ND TOXINS from entering our streams that eve spent almost 60 years finally cleaning up .(I remember, as a kid, when many of our streams and rivers caught fire). Now , president Tweets wants to turn th clock back 100 years.

Im a gun totin, economically conservative, environmentally active, socially liberal, socialized medicine GOPer.

Im, thank god, just over the board enoughto NOT be a compleat ideologue like many of the right and left on A2K.

PS, if you reaaalllly believe Trump has a 156 IQ, I have some Louisiana bayou land you may be interested in.

blatham

Sat 25 Mar, 2017 05:14 am
Ministry of Truth Announcement! Winston Smith! You are not watching your screen!
Quote:
I never said repeal and replace Obamacare — you’ve all heard my speeches — I never said repeal it and replace it within 64 days,”

...[but] it’s not true that Trump never said he would repeal and replace Obamacare in the early days of his administration.

Indeed, the then-GOP presidential nominee declared a week before Election Day that he would ask Congress to hold a “special session” to “immediately repeal and replace Obamacare,” which he vowed to do “very, very quickly.” Repealing and replacing Obamacare was also listed as part of Trump’s 100-day plan.
Politico
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 25 Mar, 2017 05:16 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Im a gun totin,

As for myself, I'm a moderate. I have a holster.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Sat 25 Mar, 2017 05:21 am
@layman,
Hey clown look at your hero tremendous style:

blatham

Sat 25 Mar, 2017 05:21 am
From Sean Spicer yesterday
Quote:
"Democrats will crawl back once the system fails on its own," he said. "The people that stood with Nancy Pelosi today understand the system is going down and the higher costs are on their shoulders, not ours."
Politico

Again, note how this is put in terms of domination/submission. What the **** is wrong with these people?
0 Replies

Builder

Sat 25 Mar, 2017 05:30 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
You're being played.
blatham

Sat 25 Mar, 2017 05:55 am
Ezra gets this exactly right.

Quote:
Donald Trump promised to be a different kind of president. He was a populist fighting on behalf of the “forgotten man,” taking on the GOP establishment, draining the Washington swamp, protecting Medicaid from cuts, vowing to cover everyone with health care and make the government pay for it. He was a pragmatic businessman who was going to make Washington work for you, the little guy, not the ideologues and special interests.

Instead, Trump has become a pitchman for Paul Ryan and his agenda. He’s spent the past week fighting for a health care bill he didn’t campaign on, didn’t draft, doesn’t understand, doesn’t like to talk about, and can’t defend. Rather than forcing the Republican establishment to come around to his principles, he’s come around to theirs — with disastrous results.

Democrats don’t like this bill. Independents don’t like this bill. Conservatives don’t like this bill. Moderates don’t like this bill. All the energy behind the American Health Care Act is coming from inside the GOP congressional establishment — and now from Trump himself.
Vox
But let's note that the populism Ezra talks about in the first graph which Trump pitched through the campaign isn't something we ought to imagine Trump really believed or cared about. He said what he thought people wanted to hear. That's it. Were his promises empty? Sure. He has continually demonstrated a near complete absence of any formulated political philosophy and he has, as Rubio said in the primaries, a history of being "a con man". If he does have any coherent political theories, we'll never know it because he is a con man and will say what he thinks people want to hear, not what he may have in his noggin.
Fil Albuquerque

Sat 25 Mar, 2017 06:03 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:

You're being played.

I know little Donny meant huge not "yuge", big league, not "biggly" etc...that was not the point. The way he brings the wording together is so tacky he deserves the mockery 10 fold.
Builder

Sat 25 Mar, 2017 06:03 am
@blatham,
Quote:
If he does have any coherent political theories, we'll never know it because he is a con man and will say what he thinks people want to hear, not what he may have in his noggin.

I'm more than impressed with his affirmative action on paedophilia.
0 Replies

Builder

Sat 25 Mar, 2017 06:05 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
The way he brings the wording together is so tacky he deserves the mockery 10 fold.

We could play this game with HRC's key phrasing as well.

Do you have some actual critiques that matter here?

Bearing in mind that I'm not overly impressed with Trump as a president, but he's a long way forward from what was possible with the alternate prez.