monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Sun 19 Mar, 2017 09:30 am
From Brian Beutler
Quote:
What Trump Might Do When He Realizes He’s Losing

What if Jimmy Carter had been a dimwitted madman?

No other alternate history would better illuminate what the next 1,404 days of President Donald Trump’s term have in store for us. But Carter was an intelligent, if politically bumbling (mis)manager, which is why comparisons between Trump and Carter, though compelling, don’t quite compute.

The chief popularizer of Trump-as-Carter analysis is leftist political scientist Corey Robin. In a fascinating essay earlier this year, he argued that Trump, like Carter, became president and will likely fail as president because the current order within his party is unwinding. Where Carter came to power before Democrats were prepared to make the transition from Ted Kennedy liberalism to Clintonian centrism, Trump is the avatar of ascendant, unabashed white nationalism, overtaking a sclerotic party still dominated by movement conservatives.

But differences mount from there, chief among them the fact that Trump is at bottom an unwitting agent of anyone who flatters him, until such time as they betray him. Where Carter’s bumbling technocracy fizzled out in a somewhat orderly way, Trump’s autocracy of dunces won’t necessarily conform to historical prologue.

There is an argument underway on the right over whether Trump is being led astray by his courtiers or is working in sync with them on an agenda that they lack the skill and public support to pass. We have no clear sense of what an erratic man like Trump will do if the agenda fails; and if he is by and large a poorly served dupe, we don’t know how he’ll react when he finally realizes it.

...Faced with roadblocks in every direction, and loath to become another Carter, it is unnervingly plausible to imagine him turning to the military levers of power over which he exerts singular control, and unleashing hell.
New Republic
layman

Sun 19 Mar, 2017 10:01 am
Trump talks about Schumer, CNN, Baldwin, O'Reilly, Warren, and others:

blatham

Sun 19 Mar, 2017 10:06 am
From Ed Kilgore
Quote:
Zut Alors: Bannon’s Taste for Franco-Fascists

In the background of the daily political grind, there has been a back-and-forth battle of narratives over Trump’s senior strategist Stephen Bannon. The reason is pretty obvious: He (and his protégés in the White House) is the living link between Donald Trump and a netherworld of previously marginal people known as “nationalists” or “populists” or the “alt-right.” Trump supporters naturally want to mainstream Bannon, and his former bailiwick at Breitbart, as much as possible, while excluding entirely from the charmed circle of real influence the white-identity-politics types and open racists who are so present on social media and other gathering points for the mogul’s most avid fans.

So it’s of more than passing interest when Bannon himself tells the story (via The Wall Street Journal’s Michael Bender) of his own radicalization. When financial markets collapsed in 2008, Bannon, then just your average investment banker with a taste for conspiracy theory filmmaking, watched helplessly as his elderly father authorized a panic sale of stock in the company he served for many years, AT&T. None of Bannon junior’s Wall Street buddies went to jail for the betrayal of people like Bannon senior, and thus was born Stephen Bannon as a “divisive political firebrand.”

It’s a sad and heartwarming story. But a counter-narrative stubbornly keeps emerging of Bannon’s intellectual interests having as big an impact on his political thinking as that single incident in 2008. And two examples involve French writers from that country’s royalist and often racist authoritarian Right...
NYMag
layman

Sun 19 Mar, 2017 10:20 am
@blatham,
Steve Bannon ROCKS!
georgeob1

Sun 19 Mar, 2017 10:25 am
@saab,
saab wrote:

Seeking objective fact without bias .....why are then scientists fighting about this and that with and without facts?

Exactly ! Scientists, like the rest of, us are human beings with all the frailties, appetites and perversities of our common human nature. Through their training, the disciplines of their specialties and unfolding dialogues with their peers, scientists attempt to overcome these things and usually do.

However the history of science is replete with very human behaviors and limitations. William Thompson, (Lord Kelvin) was one of the great creators and synthesizers of modern physics. He developed, among many other things, modern Thermodynamics and the absolute temperature scale, named after him, as well as the mathematics of heat transfer and early electronics. Despite that, just a decade or so before the first evidence of the limitations of Newtonian mechanics began to emerge and even become quantified by Lorenz, he expressed his scorn for the findings of early Scottish geologists, who speculated correctly, based on repeatedly observed findings, that the earth was billions of years old. Thompson "proved" that a few million was the limit because a sun powered by gravitational forces couldn't possibly last any longer. He was wrong on both counts.
layman

Sun 19 Mar, 2017 10:26 am
@layman,
Ya know, I've posted excerpts from printed stories about (with quotations from) Bannon; videos of serious lectures he has delivered, and a link to one of the (many) documentaries that he has written and produced in this thread.

No one has offered a word of comment. I'll bet no cheese-eater paid the least bit of attention to any of it. They don't want to see first-hand what Bannon advocates. They just want to cling to the deluded narrative that they get from the media, and make all judgments based on that biased, dishonest portrait of him as some kind of skinhead.

They can't handle the truth.

America First, Baby!
blatham

Sun 19 Mar, 2017 10:30 am
Quote:
Paul Ryan Begs Conservatives Not to Thwart His Boyhood Dream of Immiserating the Poor

Paul Ryan has been obsessed for his entire adult life by the single-minded goal of reducing distribution from the rich to the poor. But Ryan, who worked as a political aide before running for Congress himself, is savvy enough to recognize that social Darwinism is not a promising basis for a national platform. And so, when he burst onto the national scene, he positioned himself as an earnest, thoughtful policy wonk whose primary interest was in saving the country from a fiscal crisis. Subsequently, when the facts began to catch up to him, Ryan made a huge deal about his allegedly deep commitment to poverty, a messaging ploy that worked quite well. But, in an uncharacteristic fit of candor, he burst out today to National Review editor Rich Lowry, in support of his plan to cut spending on Medicaid, that “We’ve been dreaming of this since you and I were drinking out of a keg.”
NYMag

And looking at photos of this fellow, how has it never dawned on me before that he would be so perfectly cast as Inspector Javert

http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/blogs/the_slatest/2015/10/22/paul_ryan_officially_a_republican_candidate_for_speaker_of_the_house/153955360-rep-paul-ryan-listens-during-the-vice-presidential.jpg.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.jpg
0 Replies

camlok

Sun 19 Mar, 2017 10:31 am
@blatham,
Do you mean the 911 stuff that explains why people who voted Trump, which led to the Trump Muslim ban, were duped by the biggest lie to ever hit planet Earth?

The singular event that is the describing background for every single thing discussed here in this thread? The connections are inextricably linked.

9-11 cannot be discussed here in any way, shape or form when again, please, be honest with yourselves, all has flowed from 9-11.

I could understand your point, IF the US government story had any measurable level of veracity. ZERO does not indicate any level of veracity.

Where are the blatham considered and thoughtful arguments that usually flow on so many varied topics?

A brilliant scientist, after a two year study, informs us that the whole US government story of 911 is a lie and, I can't believe I am saying this, I can't believe that I have to say this to sentient adults - people still cling to the ludicrous notion that these various events are disconnected.
layman

Sun 19 Mar, 2017 10:31 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Thompson "proved" that a few million was the limit because a sun powered by gravitational forces couldn't possibly last any longer. He was wrong on both counts.

Right George, and this claim greatly upset Charles Darwin, who believed it refuted his evolutionary theory.

Kelvin was presuming that the Sun was "burning" it's gaseous composition by means of ordinary combustion. As it turns out, it is atomic fusion that generates the Sun's energy, not combustion.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 19 Mar, 2017 10:39 am
@camlok,
Yes, I do mean that conversation ought to be engaged in elsewhere.
camlok

Sun 19 Mar, 2017 10:39 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Science means always seeking objective fact without bias. That's good enough for me.

That is not remotely close to what the unmentionable US institution, the National Institute of Standards and Technology did, ie. "seeking objective fact without bias" and for you to suggest that that is your standard is ludicrous beyond belief.
blatham

Sun 19 Mar, 2017 10:44 am
The New Yorker's David Remnick on Chuck Berry (how much do I love Remnick? A lot.)
Quote:
Never has the anxiety of influence been captured so openly, and so vividly, as in the standoff between Chuck Berry and Keith Richards, when they rehearsed Berry’s song “Carol” in St. Louis thirty years ago. To watch Berry bully, instruct, and, finally, cajole Richards into getting things right is as unforgettable for the viewer as it was humbling for the veteran of the Rolling Stones. Watch it here Not that Richards was unaccustomed to the dynamic. Years before, Richards had dared to strum Berry’s guitar—the big Gibson ES-355—when Berry was out of the room. Berry returned and shouted, “No one touches my guitar!” and belted Richards in the mouth. Now Richards was getting the hard-ass treatment, even as he was trying to put together an all-star concert to celebrate Berry’s sixtieth birthday.

“Every time him and me got in contact, whether it’s intentional or not, I end up getting wounded,” Richards said. “Chuck has his own way of showing his appreciation.”
NYer
layman

Sun 19 Mar, 2017 10:46 am
@camlok,
Give that 9/11 conspiracy **** a rest, willya Cammie?:

Quote:
“A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject.” (Winston Churchill)

No one listens, ya know?
camlok

Sun 19 Mar, 2017 10:46 am
@blatham,
Quote:

With not a scintilla of the blatham Plato like colloquy to suggest why?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sun 19 Mar, 2017 10:50 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

The New Yorker's David Remnick on Chuck Berry (how much do I love Remnick? A lot.)
Quote:
Never has the anxiety of influence been captured so openly, and so vividly, as in the standoff between Chuck Berry and Keith Richards, when they rehearsed Berry’s song “Carol” in St. Louis thirty years ago. To watch Berry bully, instruct, and, finally, cajole Richards into getting things right is as unforgettable for the viewer as it was humbling for the veteran of the Rolling Stones. Watch it here Not that Richards was unaccustomed to the dynamic. Years before, Richards had dared to strum Berry’s guitar—the big Gibson ES-355—when Berry was out of the room. Berry returned and shouted, “No one touches my guitar!” and belted Richards in the mouth. Now Richards was getting
hard-ass treatment, even as he was trying to put together an all-star concert to celebrate Berry’s sixtieth birthday.

“Every time him and me got in contact, whether it’s intentional or not, I end up getting wounded,” Richards said. “Chuck has his own way of showing his appreciation.”
NYer

Berry and Jerry Lee Lewis had real fights over which one would close the show.
0 Replies

farmerman

Sun 19 Mar, 2017 10:55 am
@blatham,
I am amazed at how guys like Beutler can sound almost Shakespearean when making these doomsayings regarding Trump and his effects on the worldwide political ecosystem. GAWDAMM.
thack45

Sun 19 Mar, 2017 11:00 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

I read that last night and it really got me thinking about the future...

This administration is just 78 days old, and in that time it has proved to be a perpetual motion machine of sorts, cycling through, roughly: comment/news reports/accusation/news reports/defense/news reports/accusation/defense/news reports/comment... and so on.

Given that the president is keen to impulsively advance information he gathers from 'news' organizations that tend to report from speculative and inflammatory angles, intentionally snubs social grace and decorum, and demonstrates an absolute minimum reverence for the office he now holds, I don't envision this machine slowing down.

While his more fervent, rabble-rousing supporters may gobble all this up, apparently willing to follow the carrot all the way to the edge of the cliff with unquestioning loyalty, they're hardly a majority. So for the rest of us – the White House and GOP included, how long can we sustain this unending display of finger-pointing, peddling of fear and paranoia, and schoolyard taunting?

One year from today, the administration will be 443 days old. If everything (quite plausibly) stays as it is, a year from now, what we have witnessed in this less than three months old presidency will have happened another four and a half times – in one year!

I admit I'm playing with numbers for dramatic effect, but also to help demonstrate some perspective. In just 78 days, the fatigue is already evident, and the cracks are already showing. If the White House continues on this trajectory for much longer, something substantial will happen. As to what that might be, I've theorized enough for now, so I'll just say that the simplest way to right this ship would be for the president to go wholey and completely against his nature. So simple. So far from easy.

Also, I think Ari Fleischer was being incredibly generous
georgeob1

Sun 19 Mar, 2017 11:01 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Hard not to notice the alt right authoritarian overtones here. I'm slightly tempted to venture off in a riff about the Bannon-like psychodrama of the evolution of this dark underside of Blatham's psyche, and the drives that move him to spend much of his life searching favored magazines for material to paste here in pursuit of these obsessions.

However, I thought twice and poured a second cup of coffee.
blatham

Sun 19 Mar, 2017 11:01 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
I am amazed at how guys like Beutler can sound almost Shakespearean when making these doomsayings regarding Trump and his effects on the worldwide political ecosystem. GAWDAMM.

I've been a fan of Brian Beutler for a long time. He's one of the many great writers who have emerged from Josh's patronage at TPM. These young dudes and dudettes are all over the place now.
0 Replies

camlok

Sun 19 Mar, 2017 11:08 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Hard not to notice the alt right authoritarian overtones here. I'm slightly tempted to venture off in a riff about the Bannon-like psychodrama of the evolution of this dark underside of Blatham's psyche, and the drives that move him to spend much of his life searching favored magazines for material to paste here in pursuit of these obsessions.

However, I thought twice and poured a second cup of coffee.

Indeed, georgeob1. The notion, that solid proof that the US government conspiracy theory is one gigantic lie from beginning to end, should be hidden from everyone's view is an exceedingly strange concept to advance. Orwellian in fact.

After you finish that second cup, please refrain from the "riff about the Bannon-like psychodrama of the evolution of this dark underside of Blatham's psyche" and offer your comments on the facts and the science surrounding Professor Hulsey's stunning findings, and I reiterate for those that might be a bit slow on the uptake - the US government story about the events of 9-11 is a fiction.

The NIST report on WTC7 is 100% wrong! Scientists, real scientists cannot perform a years long study and be 100% wrong.

Where do we go from here, honest, upstanding citizens of the world?