monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

giujohn

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 02:26 pm
@glitterbag,
If you think for one nano second that between the US, UK Canada, Australia we don't spy on each other, you are terminally naive. And if you think that somewhere within the US government there isn't a faction that would use a contact in British intelligent to bug Trump, you're an idiot.
giujohn

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 02:30 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
and don't understand why he still hasn't been impeached B

That's because your understanding of the constitution is severely retarded.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 02:33 pm
@camlok,
Quote:
"And on top of that, the US has never once extended those rights to any of the hundreds of millions it has subjugated, IN OTHER PEOPLES' COUNTRIES, under the myriad brutal, right wing dictators that it has installed, worldwide, despite,

despite its loud and obnoxious crowing and braying about how it advances democracy and freedom around the world."

The US can't "extend" the Constitution to any other nation unless they become another state of the US, which they don't want and we don't want. We can encourage they setup their own Constitution and we hope they favor freedom instead of oppression, but humans are humans and they will do what they do.

Your anti-US propaganda not-withstanding, can you imagine a system where the USSR was the leader of the communist world? Are you clapping or crying?

0 Replies

old europe

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 02:41 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
But now, today, the White House has assured the UK Government it will not repeat allegations that GCHQ spied on Donald Trump, in a bid to avoid a major diplomatic row. (Theresa May's official spokesman would not confirm whether the administration had offered an apology, but did indicate Mr Spicer had been told not to raise the claims again.)

Just now, at the press conference with Merkel:

Quote:
Trump Offers No Apology for Claim on British Spying

WASHINGTON — President Trump refused to back down on Friday after his White House aired an unverified claim that Britain’s spy agency secretly monitored him during last year’s campaign at the behest of President Barack Obama.

Although his aides in private conversations since Thursday night had tried to calm British officials who were livid over the claim, Mr. Trump made clear that he felt the White House had nothing to retract or apologize for. He said his spokesman was simply repeating an assertion made by a Fox News commentator.

“We said nothing,” Mr. Trump told a German reporter who asked about the matter at a joint White House news conference with Chancellor Angela Merkel. “All we did was quote a certain very talented legal mind who was the one responsible for saying that on television. I didn’t make an opinion on it.” He added: “You shouldn’t be talking to me. You should be talking to Fox.”

[...]

Or, as Spicer put it, the President wasn't making any claims at all, he "was just reading off media reports."

Apparently, making lunatic unsubstantiated statements, blaming others for the content of those statements and refusing to apologize to those insulted is now the bar for acting presidential.
cicerone imposter

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 02:51 pm
@old europe,
Trump has single handedly reduced the US presidency into a joke.
old europe

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 03:30 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:
While the Constitution explictly says Naturalization, you wouldn't have a need for naturalization without immigration. Why it was ever understood that they are different things is the odd part.

How about a scenario where a colony broke loose, declared independence, and then was faced with the issue of determining which of the people living within the borders of the new nation would or wouldn't become citizens, and whether the power to do so should rest with the federal government or with the individual states?

But historical reasons nonwithstanding, the Constitution doesn't list the power to regulate immigration as one of the enumerated powers of Congress. Which is what you've been claiming.

Baldimo wrote:
Which powers are you thinking would be revoked by sticking to the Constitution?

None. I don't think you can stick to a literal reading of an 18th century document, and try to solve 21st century problems with that. The Supreme Court obviously has the right to interpret the Constitution, and thereby, implicitly, grant powers to the legislative and executive branches. Even if those powers are not explicitly enumerated in the Constitution. I'm very much in favor of the Living Constitution approach, and I'm glad to see that you are, too.

Baldimo wrote:
According to you and other open borders advocates

You're making a lot of assumptions here, aren't you?

Baldimo wrote:
It was on an observation based on your comments in other threads and your lack of understanding of how the US govt works.

I'm not sure you in a very good position to evaluate other posters' understanding of how the U.S. government works. Seeing as you made a demonstrably false claim about the enumerated powers of Congress, just a couple of posts ago.

Should we all assume you're not really a U.S. citizen?
0 Replies

saab

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 04:00 pm
@cicerone imposter,
According to the news in the Guardian - for me at 22:58 Friday night
Your wellbehaving president refused to shake hands with Chancelor Merkel during the press conference.
The DAnish paper said, that Trump is going to be much harder with Germany and EU as USA has been so treated so unfair by EU and Germany.
Good night......sleep well if you can.
ossobucotemp

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 04:23 pm
@izzythepush,
Yeah, saw that.
Then went grocery shopping.
Together they paste up as an odd slice of life, maybe not unlike being on the moon.
0 Replies

layman

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 04:24 pm
The Eurotrash is has gotten completely out of control in this thread. Not to worry, though. Trump will be nuking them all soon.
thack45

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 04:27 pm
@layman,
With any luck, Slim Pickens style
layman

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 04:31 pm
@thack45,
Major Kong ROCKS!

cicerone imposter

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 04:48 pm
@saab,
This nightmare will pass.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 04:50 pm
@layman,
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6a/Little_boy.jpg

"Git along Little Boy -- er, dogie!"
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 04:53 pm
https://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/16422446_1151488938252642_837312895347537846_o.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&strip=all
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 05:04 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
In any event few or none of them reached the degree of intrusive partisanship which Blatham issues against the U.S. A., it's politics, people and traditions, on almost hourly basis.

I am completely flabbershmoodled by how much you miss in what I write or include here, george. There have been many times I have wondered, seriously, which of us is actually more fond of America: its politics, its people and its traditions.

Let's start with Randy Newman. I'm not sure you even know who this guy is. And he is an international treasure. And boy is he a creature of America. I'm not sure at all how many Americans working in the arts I have brought into this thread, lauding what they are up to and, I think, implying pretty explicitly that these Americans are exceptionally worthy of attention because of delight they give us - delights given worldwide. And then there's the writers. Almost every one of these I bring here as worthy are Americans.

I get on with people quite easily and tend to love folks wherever I am. I've spent a lot of time in the US, surely 100 times over the border - to ski, to visit, to marry...and I lived there for a decade. I loved it. We'll just skip the swirling-eye-ball nuttiness easily found in Texas but I got on with Texans just fine. Both my wives are Americans, both still dear friends, both have come to visit me up here over the last year. And I visit them and love their families (now my families). My daughter has dual citizenship, has lived in the US for more than 2 years and she's presently in Austin with an American engineer who is courting her. So that's the me and the American people thing you mentioned.

Traditions? You got a lot of really good ones and a lot of really bad ones. I can have both those thoughts in my mind at the same time.

Politics? As one of my witty (they both are) wives said to me one time she caught me masturbating, "Ay, there's the rub".

The US has its huge clodhopper foot all over the ******* world. There's a national myth, held by some, that America deserves, in fact is morally obligated, to dominate everybody else and spread its goodness and superior wisdoms. I'm not on board.

And conservatism is moving in a direction (it started in a bad place with Burke and is heading fast for the right field fence) which makes me want to kick it in the nuts. There's a reason why American humorists (and look what America has produced in humorists! but this is true with humorists everywhere) they are almost all liberals. Almost no exceptions. There's something in that which tells us quite clearly that conservatives are dangerous people.

Quote:
I don't doubt that the frequency and intensity of his stuff has inspired other to imitate him. I would like to see less of it.

That you would like to see "less of it" has been understood here for some time. Unless you can enlist the aid of Rick Perry for a state-wide, all at the same time mass prayer (because apparently God is getting deaf) you may not get your desire.
blatham

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 05:06 pm
@hightor,
Versailles MUST BE maintained. The people need something and someone to look up to.
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 05:24 pm
@giujohn,
Quote:
If you think for one nano second that between the US, UK Canada, Australia we don't spy on each other, you are terminally naive. And if you think that somewhere within the US government there isn't a faction that would use a contact in British intelligent to bug Trump, you're an idiot.

If we had ham we could have ham and string beans, if we had string beans.
All your verbal self abuse is a nice try at making a case. The only thing you need to concern yourself with though is FIND SOME EVIDENCE THAT THAT PRES TWEET WAS BUGGED. "Presumed guilty" is really not our way, (Shouldnt an ex cop know that??)
jcboy

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 05:28 pm
@farmerman,
I really shouldn't read political articles at the gym. It's become quite clear that 4 years from now, the life of the average white Trump voter will not have improved and maybe will have gotten noticeably worse. However, the lives of the "enemy" (minorities, Others) will be much worse and they will claim that's progress.
0 Replies

camlok

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 05:28 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
The only thing you need to concern yourself with though is FIND SOME EVIDENCE THAT THAT PRES TWEET WAS BUGGED. "Presumed guilty" is really not our way,

A character like you couldn't be made up for the zaniest of comics, farmerman.
0 Replies

farmerman

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 05:29 pm
@old europe,
Quote:
Apparently, making lunatic unsubstantiated statements, blaming others for the content of those statements and refusing to apologize to those insulted is now the bar for acting presidential
I recall a much simpler time when "plausible deniability" was as weird as presidential regimes got
0 Replies