monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Sun 11 Dec, 2016 04:56 am
@RABEL222,
Quote:
Which since he is president elect will happen about as much as Bush 43 was contradicted. Trump lies 80% of the time but the media wont point it out.

There's a lot of variation in how different news entities treat this present disregard for facts and truthfulness. And even in how any particular news entity does this, article to article or day to day.

But the news operations are facing a problem (or a new and extreme level of a problem) which their standard operating procedures and conceptions are not well-equipped to deal with. Still, many of the best of them are now dealing in a much more serious way with what they and we are facing. In my lifetime, I've have never seen anything like this level of challenge to an incoming president and his administration.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 11 Dec, 2016 05:02 am
"Wow" here is a euphemism for "I've never seen anything so ******* insane and dangerous in my whole ******* life"
Quote:
At this point in a transition, a president-elect is usually delving into intelligence he has never before seen, and learning about C.I.A. and National Security Agency abilities. But Mr. Trump, who has taken intelligence briefings only sporadically, is questioning not only analytic conclusions, but also their underlying facts.

“To have the president-elect of the United States simply reject the fact-based narrative that the intelligence community puts together because it conflicts with his a priori assumptions — wow,” said Michael V. Hayden, who was the director of the N.S.A. and later the C.I.A. under President George W. Bush.
whistling past the swastikas on the wall
blatham

Sun 11 Dec, 2016 05:23 am
A few key graphs from a NY Times editorial this morning
Quote:
Donald Trump understood at least one thing better than almost everybody watching the 2016 election: The breakdown of a shared public reality built upon widely accepted facts represented not a hazard, but an opportunity.

The institutions that once generated and reaffirmed that shared reality — including the church, the government, the news media, the universities and labor unions — are in various stages of turmoil or even collapse. Because Mr. Trump himself has little regard for facts, it was easy for him to capitalize on this situation...

...But it also turns out that when everyone can customize his or her own information bubble, it’s easier for demagogues to deploy made-up facts to suit the story they want to tell.

That’s what Mr. Trump has done. For him, facts aren’t the point; trust is. Like any autocrat, he wins his followers’ trust — let’s call it a blind trust — by lying so often and so brazenly that millions of people give up on trying to distinguish truth from falsehood. Whether the lie is about millions of noncitizens voting illegally, or the crime rate, or President Obama’s citizenship, it doesn’t matter: In a confusing world of competing, shouted “truths,” the simplest solution is to trust in your leader. As Mr. Trump is fond of saying, “I alone can fix it.
I, your Pharaoh, voice of the Sun God, alone can fix it
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 11 Dec, 2016 05:26 am
Jesus. I'd forgotten this statement during the last election from one of Romney's aides
Quote:
“We’re not going to let our campaign be dictated by fact-checkers.”
blatham

Sun 11 Dec, 2016 06:16 am
Quote:
“Given [Trump's] proclivity for revenge combined with his notorious thin skin, this threatens to result in a lasting relationship of distrust and ill will between the president and the intelligence community,” said Paul Pillar, former deputy director of the CIA’s Counterterrorism Center.

U.S. intelligence officials described mounting concern and confusion about how to proceed in an administration so openly hostile to their function and role. “I don’t know what the end game is here,” a senior U.S. intelligence official said. “After Jan. 20,” the official said, referring to Inauguration Day, “we’re in uncharted territory.”

Pillar added: “Everything Trump has indicated with regard to his character and tendencies for vindictiveness might be worse” than former president Richard Nixon, who also had a dysfunctional relationship with the intelligence community.
The man's a great leader. Incredible leader. It's amazing.

What the hell are these people up to? Maybe the corporate/power/wealth links around Trump's team with Russian oil/power/money are leading to all this. Maybe Trump, Bannon, Tillerson, the Kochs, McConnell etc really do not believe citizen democracy is a viable way to organize a nation and instead believe that the world is a jungle where only the strongest and most vicious survive. Maybe Trump and his people see the intel agencies as they see the press, as institutions which must be brought under control because they stand as threats to Trump's dominance. Maybe aspects of each of these. Whatever is going on, it is a level of authoritarianism that is worse than Nixon. Far worse.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 11 Dec, 2016 06:55 am
Let's try and remember this. It does seem rather important.
Quote:
In the past, Bannon has repeatedly expressed his affinity for the technique of Nazi propaganda filmmaker Leni Riefenstahl, whose work in the 1930s glamorized the rise of Adolf Hitler. “One time we were in the office, and he said, ‘I want to be the Leni Riefenstahl of George Bush,’ and I was horrified,’” Jones said. (Jones said Bannon later amended his remark to say he wanted to be the Riefenstahl of the GOP.)

..The Reagan documentary drew the attention of conservative provocateur Andrew Breitbart, who later called Bannon the Riefenstahl of the tea party movement. The pair fell into each other’s orbits.
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-bannon-influences-20161209-story.html
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 11 Dec, 2016 07:07 am
Looks like Ha'aretz pay wall is back up, damn. But take a look at this.
Quote:
Education Ministry Set to Bar Breaking the Silence From Israeli Schools
Directive seeks to stop groups whose activity 'undermines the very legitimacy of state entities' from addressing students, but it's unclear whether state can legally sanction principals who invite leftist veterans' group into their schools.

http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-1.758000

The nation's education ministry wishes to prevent veterans groups who voice opinions on settlement policies which Netanyahu's government does not like from speaking to students. Which I think is pretty much as cool as putting Ms DeVos who sees the educational system as a means of "advancing God's kingdom" as head of America's educational system.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 11 Dec, 2016 07:19 am
Quote:
Another climate-denying nominee will be named Friday for a key environmental position in the Trump administration, multiple sources are reporting.
Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-WA) will likely be tapped to lead the Department of the Interior, which oversees all of the U.S. public lands, including forest management, the Parks Service, and fossil fuel extraction.
McMorris Rodgers is strongly in favor of developing the United States’ fossil fuel resources. She has also opposed federal ownership of public lands and voted to make it more difficult for the president to create national monuments. McMorris Rodgers is the author of a bill that would have directed the Department of the Interior to sell off federal lands in Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, and Wyoming.
Yahoo!

Good thinking! God put the natural world there so big corporations could suck it up and then poop the vile unnecessary stuff into tailing ponds. Or maybe into the grand canyon which is being wasted on asian people with cameras and gay bird watchers.
0 Replies

Frugal1

Sun 11 Dec, 2016 07:21 am
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 11 Dec, 2016 07:25 am
Josh Marshall can be very succinct:

Quote:
Makes Sense
Trump's administration ends up being made up of plutocrats, right wing extremists and generals. Basically, exactly what you should have expected, unless you were stupid.
Frugal1

Sun 11 Dec, 2016 07:34 am
@blatham,
And very wrong.
0 Replies

Frugal1

Sun 11 Dec, 2016 07:35 am
http://truthfeed.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/TRUMP-OBAMA-00887-01-800x416.jpg
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 11 Dec, 2016 07:36 am
If you are going to read anything today, make it this Jon Chait piece. I'm excerpting just one small bit that I haven't seen noted elsewhere.

Quote:
Trump, McConnel, Putin, and the Triumph of the Will to Power

...It is true that the CIA, like intelligence agencies in several other allied countries, fell for Saddam Hussein’s bluff that he still had weapons of mass destruction. But the overheated claims of imminent danger, and the ticking bomb of a nuclear program, came not from the CIA’s own analysts but from political pressure exerted by Dick Cheney and the Bush administration, which insisted the CIA’s hesitant conclusions should be discounted because the agency was allegedly filled with doves blind to the real danger only Cheney’s true believers could detect. Trump’s statement is a replication of that same debacle, substituting his own politicized judgments for the analysis of career staff. Cheneyism helped discredit the agency, and Trump is exploiting that discredit in order to impose more Cheneyism.
power is everything to these people. It's the only thing.

About bloody time someone brought up the big lie in the middle of Trump's claim re CIA and Iraq.
0 Replies

Frugal1

Sun 11 Dec, 2016 07:53 am
http://www.washingtonstarnews.com/hppt://www.washingtonstarnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/trumpandflag.png
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 11 Dec, 2016 07:55 am
Interesting piece by Mike Tomasky (long time New York beat reporter. In their youthness, he and Greg Sargent worked together at the Village Voice) on Guiliani's explosion of craziness which has gone unrewarded by Trump
Quote:
He had always had a major nasty side. We all know that. But this Rudy, this convention-speech Rudy, this Trump-is-a-great-man Rudy, this throw-the-Clintons-in-jail-and-by-the-way-Hillary-is-dying Rudy; there was something about this Rudy that was different. “How Rudy got here is a mystery that has rocked his alumni network,” says one member thereof. But I have watched Giuliani since I covered his mayoralty, and I think it’s not such a mystery at all — if you understand it the right way. And that way is in basic New York City geographic-resentment terms. Giuliani and Trump versus Hillary was white-ethnic Brooklyn and Queens versus the Manhattan snoots. It’s an old conflict that doesn’t have much resonance in today’s New York — Clinton won more than 80 percent of the vote in the Queens
assembly district that includes Astoria, where (on TV) that Ur-Trump-voter Archie Bunker used to live. But it’s deep in the bones of both men, and watching Trump unfurl those particular ancient grudges on the national stage seems to have energized Giuliani.
under the bus and NY City buses can be filthy this time of year, believe me
Blickers

Sun 11 Dec, 2016 08:11 am
@blatham,
Not sure about that analysis. Trump's old man might have gotten rich building middle class housing developments in Brooklyn and Queens, but Trump early on became the very epitome of Manhattan wealth, he was all over the social scene of Manhattan in the 80s, complete with cocaine parties. And while Hillary's folks did all right with Hillary's father the commodities trader, Bill Clinton was the poor Irish kid in Little Rock, Arkansas and then the somewhat scandalous lower class suburb of Hot Springs, (where it was estimated that over half the population on any given night was lying next to someone they were not married to-this is decades before co-habitation became respectable).
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 11 Dec, 2016 08:11 am
Let me make an edit to that post right above.

Tomasky's piece on Giuliani is really terrific. Highly recommended. Here's an example...
Quote:
Which culminated naturally in this year’s speech. It wasn’t so much that Giuliani took a long walk off a short Alex Jones-Infowars pier, though there was some of that, with respect to Hillary and Benghazi. It was that every quality that once made Rudy a compelling speaker was gone. I’ve seen him give lots of speeches — as a candidate in 1993, especially, when I followed him around all over the city; and then, budget presentations and State of the City addresses. He could cajole, he could persuade, he could inform; as noted, he could be funny.

But in Cleveland, all was buried under an avalanche of bluster and bile. Reprinting the mere words here can’t begin to convey the shocking impact of the way Giuliani shrieked them. At one point he name-checked the four Americans who’d died in the Benghazi consular attack; and he said, reasonably enough, “May they rest in peace.” But the scowl on his face as he spit out the words was chilling. At another point he called Trump, this fraudster against his “university” students and stiffer of small businesspeople and scam artist against his own “charitable” foundation, a man with a “big heart” (twice!). He “loves people. All people!” He’s just screaming now: “From the top! To the bottom! From the middle! To the side!” He was so swept up, so discombobulated, that as he said the word “top,” he bent over and pointed down below his knees, and as he said the word “bottom,” he pointed above his head.

Remember that Mario Cuomo line, about how politicians campaign in poetry and govern in prose? This was cave painting.
0 Replies

Frugal1

Sun 11 Dec, 2016 08:35 am
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cy6DTfZWIAA9Ji-.jpg:large
0 Replies

Frugal1

Sun 11 Dec, 2016 08:48 am
http://truthfeed.com/video-julian-assange-confirms-russians-not-responsible-for-wikileaks-documents/40873/

VIDEO : Julian Assange CONFIRMS Russians NOT Responsible for Wikileaks Documents
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 11 Dec, 2016 08:53 am
It's interesting how some questions carry within themselves a ton of answers.

When a reporter telephoned David Duke recently to discuss the alt-right movement, Mr. Duke wasted little time with a question of his own: "Are you Jewish?"
0 Replies