monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 04:55 am
Michael Gerson on Trump's hero
Quote:
When Donald Trump recently laid a wreath at the tomb of Andrew Jackson, the 45th president was sending a message by choosing a hero.

It is difficult to imagine that this selection was the result of vast reading in presidential history. [difficult -> impossible, adds me]

...George Washington had viewed swagger as a moral failure. Jackson made it an American political virtue. His movement, quite literally, broke china at the White House. It essentially created the idea of congressional party loyalty. It devalued civility. In all these ways, we still live in Jackson’s America.

Jackson was a large, complex figure. (The best starting point to learn about him is Jon Meacham’s “American Lion,” which is brilliant in everything except its reverence for its subject.) But it would be typical of Trump to admire Jackson, not only for his virtues, but for his vices, too. Jackson was the first president who made dueling, gambling and horse-racing parts of his public persona. He was prickly, demanding and mercurial. He was no stranger to sexual scandal. His opponents regarded his presidency as unimaginable, until he beat them.

But Jackson’s vices were not merely personal. Many of the Founders had been internally conflicted slaveholders. Jackson was not one for psychic struggle. Meacham recounts that Jackson once authored an “Advertisement for Runaway Slave” that offered $50 for the return of the slave “and ten dollars extra, for every hundred lashes any person will give him.” Such attitudes were not disqualifying in Jackson’s America.
WP
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 05:01 am
Quote:
Trump adviser Flynn paid by multiple Russia-related entities, new records show
WP

One gets the notion that there were so many in the Trump circle who were involved in making money in or via Russian (and prior USSR territories) that none of this seemed odd. And perhaps it all would have had much less political import if Russia hadn't inserted themselves into the election in order to help Trump.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 05:06 am
Quote:
Soon after Charla McComic’s son lost his job, his health-insurance premium dropped from $567 per month to just $88, a “blessing from God” that she believes was made possible by President Trump.

“I think it was just because of the tax credit,” said McComic, 52, a former first-grade teacher who traveled to Trump’s Wednesday night rally in Nashville from Lexington, Tenn., with her daughter, mother, aunt and cousin.

The price change was actually thanks to a subsidy made possible by former president Barack Obama’s Affordable Care Act, which is still in place, not by the tax credits proposed by Republicans as part of the health-care bill still being considered by Congress.
WP
Damned hair-splitting fake news purveyors.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 06:06 am
@blatham,
At first, yesterday, the White House White House suggested British agents could had helped former President Barack Obama spy on Donald Trump. (Sean Spicer echoed a claim originally made by an analyst on Fox News that GCHQ spied on Trump Tower during the US election.)

But now, today, the White House has assured the UK Government it will not repeat allegations that GCHQ spied on Donald Trump, in a bid to avoid a major diplomatic row. (Theresa May's official spokesman would not confirm whether the administration had offered an apology, but did indicate Mr Spicer had been told not to raise the claims again.)
farmerman

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 07:28 am
@Walter Hinteler,
he is totally insane
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 07:41 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Yes, I saw that Spicer had made the suggestion about Brit involvement. I don't know what the **** Tillerson is up at as head of State but this is his area and Trump's PR crowd just took a dump all over Rex with that one. Does Tillerson even care? I doubt it. He seems too be playing some other game involving money.

What a mess. A year ago, who would have imagined the US would fall so low and lose so much respect in the world?
Walter Hinteler

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 07:48 am
@blatham,
Trump's 'Irish proverb' confuses the internet on St Patrick's Day
Quote:
[...]
So how exactly did a poem, whose author we know nothing about, end up being quoted by the president of the United States as an Irish proverb?

Cody Keenan, a speechwriter for Obama, may have hit on the most likely theory:
http://i.imgur.com/pSE4guK.jpg
And indeed, when you google “famous Irish proverb” the poem is included in the top two sites.

So, long story short: the proverb isn’t a proverb, it’s a poem. It’s probably not Irish, given no one in Ireland seems to have heard of it, but we’re not sure where it came from.
djjd62

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 07:58 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
I think that "The Onion" reporters should be in the White House press corps. If Breitbart is there, we need the Onion.

i loved this from a few days ago

‘I Have Four Young Children,’ Says Kellyanne Conway In Most Disturbing Public Statement To Date

http://images2.onionstatic.com/onion/5650/6/16x9/800.jpg

http://www.theonion.com/article/i-have-four-young-children-says-kellyanne-conway-m-55548
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 08:11 am
Results. Government programs should show results. Still, it's necessary to have compassion - that is, to be compassionate.
Quote:
When Mick Mulvaney was a member of Congress, the South Carolina Republican, a founding member of the right-wing House Freedom Caucus, developed a reputation for almost comical radicalism. Now he's Donald Trump's budget director, where he's proving his critics right.

Just this week, Mulvaney said he believed that the Obama administration "was manipulating the numbers" on unemployment, which is bonkers. Soon after, the OMB chief was caught brazenly lying -- twice -- about basic details surrounding the health care debate.

Yesterday, Mulvaney extremism came into even sharper focus.
Before the Thursday's press briefing got fully underway, White House Office of Management and Budget Director Mick Mulvaney defended cuts to community programs, like Meals on Wheels, which provides meals to homebound, often elderly, individuals.

Quote:
"We can't spend money on programs just because they sound good and great," Mulvaney said. "Meals on Wheels sounds great. Again that's a state decision to fund that particular portion to it. To take the federal money and give it to the states and say look we want to give you money for programs that don't work. I can't defend that anymore."

Trump's budget director added that cutting assistance to struggling seniors is "one of the most compassionate things we can do," telling skeptical reporters, "You're focusing on recipients of the money. We're trying to focus on both the recipients of the money and the folks who give us the money in the first place." He pointed to programs such as Meals on Wheels as initiatives that are "just not showing any results."

The point of Meals on Wheels is to provide food to the low-income elderly. I'm honestly not sure what kind of "results" Mulvaney is looking for...
Benen

He's not looking for "results". That's a cover story for gutting social programs which, regardless of their moral merits and their actual results (poor and elderly people not starving, not beset by the worst sorts of daily life travails). He does not give a damn about such things.

I really can't believe these people. I can't comprehend this level of disregard for the suffering of his fellow citizens. And I don't think he or those like him are autistic. I think they are so driven towards the punitive that they are effectively evil people.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 08:18 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Good God. These people are so incompetent they can't even get something like that right. It's almost mesmerizing how stupid Trump and his team are.
0 Replies

revelette1

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 08:20 am
I honestly don't think I can keep up with any more of Trump and relevant events, it is depressing me more each day, and scaring me even more to wonder how it is all going to end up. I can't imagine how anyone can still support this administration. I am a bit addicted to this forum, but somehow, I have to take a small vacation from the political part of this forum. I realized it yesterday after my last post.
blatham

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 08:32 am
Hightor sent me a link to an extraordinary piece by Gopnik of the New Yorker. It is long and it's scholarly, just so you know. But it will be worth the time of some here, I think. This is the final graph.
Quote:
“Illiberalism” is the permanent fact of life. Moments of social peace and coexistence, however troubled and imperfect, are the brief miracle that needs explaining, and protecting. In this way, Mokyr’s vision of a revolution made by hand retrieves the best side of the Enlightenment, and Voltaire as he really was. An easily overlooked aspect of Voltaire’s thought was the priority it gave, especially in his later life, to practice. Watchmaking, vegetable growing, star charting: the great Enlightenment thinker turned decisively away from abstraction as he aged. The argument of “Candide” is neither that the world gets better nor that it’s all for naught; it’s that happiness is where you find it, and you find it first by making it yourself. The famous injunction to “cultivate our garden” means just that: make something happen, often with your hands. It remains, as it was meant to, a reproach to all ham-fisted intellects and deskbound brooders. Getting out to make good things happen beats sitting down and thinking big things up. The wind blows every which way in the world, and Voltaire’s last word to the windblown remains the right one. There are a lot of babies yet to comfort, and gardens still to grow.
NYer
0 Replies

hightor

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 08:39 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The guy is so dense. No wonder he was attracted to this ancient Irish proverb that he's "heard for many years":
Quote:
Always remember to forget the friends that proved untrue...

Now how exactly does one "remember to forget" something? Try it sometime.

Donald's lucky, though — if he needs to bring former feckless friends to mind (I suspect there are quite a few of them) he can always subject himself to the waterboard treatment — total recall, I'm told.

Hey Donald, remember Mitt Romney?
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 08:41 am
@revelette1,
By all means, rev. Now and again, I do the same. After the election, I was pretty much a mess for two weeks. Why even bother? was my feeling and mental state. Trump! How was it even possible? Cruz would have been almost as unimaginable. The only individual I saw as sane in that bunch was Jeb. It took the full two weeks for me to reach a point where I could decide to continue watching and studying the US. That's when I decided to start this particular thread.

But take a break. This is tough. Get yourself settled and reinvigorated. But then come back and/or find some local way you can contribute to fighting back against this stuff.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 08:54 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Political correctness: how the right invented a phantom enemy

It's a very good history of the thing and everyone ought to read it. I have yet to bump into a conservative on boards like this one who use the term (and almost all of them do use it in a deeply unreflective and cliched manner) who knows this history.

Another example is this thread. Because I and others contributing are not Americans, it is not "politically correct" for us to speak negatively about Trump or modern US conservatism. And aside from nationality, just the continuing criticism and satirization of Trump or conservatives violates most right wing contributors' sense of the "politically correct". We offend and we ought not to, they seem to believe and insist. .

I have no argument with the likely origin of the term politically correct. It arose from an adverse reaction by many people to the politicization of many cultural and social issues by folks who wished to impose their ideas of group identity and values on others, and often to replace existing social and religious norms. Such behavior is very human, as are other forms of intolerance. However they are far from the best manifestations of human nature. The term was indeed a pejorative label applied to ideas and opinions whose advocates were then using the political process to reshape our values, use of words and national policies, often in an authoritarian manner. Indeed the debate continues. Much of the "politically correct" agenda has been incorporated into the fabric of our lives, and increasingly often with adverse side effects which have raised the opposition to them and the intensity of the associated debate both in America and in Europe.

In my view the United States was founded on the principles of individual liberty and limited government - principles fundamentally antithetical to the group identities and values Blatham so favors, and for which he so incessantly advocates for a country not his own.

I do however reject Blatham's sly and self-serving effort to deflect reaction to his odd and obsessive commentary on internal affairs of another country which have no relation or connection to his own life in Canada, by pretending it has anything to do with his supposed right wing war on political correctitude.

That is false. It is instead a question of good manners, self restraint and normal discretion. Debate and discussion here ranges over many topics in many countries. In general most of us restrain our commentary on events in other countries to general comments on trends, major unfolding events and likely outcomes. Most stop short of intrusive advocacy involving matters in which they have no standing (in the legal sense) or direct involvement. Blatham takes intrusive advocacy and intense criticism in the affairs of another country and people to an extreme. I find this offensive. I have a regard for my country as likely Blatham does for his. I have fought for mine and watched good friends lose their lives doing so with me. I find his behavior contemptible.

Indeed this stuff appears to occupy a major portion of Blatham's time and energy. My impression is he, for a time, was pursuing some sort of a career in it, perhaps before his return to Canada. Surely there must be something else of interest to occupy him in his Canadian home.
farmerman

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 09:19 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
I do however reject Blatham's sly and self-serving effort to deflect reaction to his odd and obsessive commentary on internal affairs of another country which have no relation or connection to his own life in Canada
I have no idea why you should feel that these clips are unfair or somehow invalid because they are being reprted by a corrspondent from the North. Most all com from our own "free Press" or the Tweetster himself. I dont have to be Italian to b able to comment on th art of Caravaggio do I?. What predident Tweet does will affect the entire planet.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 09:22 am
@georgeob1,
So we non-US-members should keep silent when Sweden, Germany, the EU, NATO etc is attacked, not only by US-members of A2K but e.g. by the President of the Unites States of America (of German ethnicity, which he thought to be Swedish at first)?
blatham

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 09:40 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
I have no argument with the likely origin of the term politically correct
Oh, I suspect that's not really true. I very much doubt you'd sign on to the historical analysis of what was going on pre '87 and which led to the campaign we're talking about - the role of Olin and his foundation for example and the influence and consequences of the Powell Memo which preceded that.

Quote:
It arose from an adverse reaction by many people to the politicization of many cultural and social issues by folks who wished to impose their ideas of group identity and values on others
Like women getting the vote. Like blacks being allowed to sit anywhere on the bus. Like kids preferring weed to Scotch. Like a burgeoning interest in other religious traditions. Like a rejection of trust in institutions such as the CIA or the US military. Like a growing awareness and civic engagement in what corporations were up to re products (tobacco, pesticides). Like an investigation into alternate political schemes and values. Like a growing questioning of and disgust with US militarism in the world. Like more open sexual mores. Etc. I mean, how dare they?

Quote:
Such behavior is very human, as are other forms of intolerance.
You ain't getting away with that one. Intolerance of intolerance was and is the thing. We will not tolerate blacks near us, in our swimming pools, at our restaurant, in our barber shop. Yeah, well tough luck, bub.

Quote:
I do however reject Blatham's sly and self-serving effort to deflect reaction to his odd and obsessive commentary on internal affairs of another country which have no relation or connection to his own life in Canada, by pretending it has anything to do with his supposed right wing war on political correctitude.

That is false. It is instead a question of good manners, self restraint and normal discretion.

The only voices that criticize my engagement with US politics are those on the right. This is nearly absolute. And that IS because of what I say, argue, bring to such discussions. So it is clearly not a matter of manners and discretion (which are completely arbitrary and culture-bound notions in any case). If I was Stephen Harper commenting here and speaking positively about these issues, that is, speaking in alignment with your beliefs and preferences, I would be welcomed by you.

So, as I think everything you've argued here to be poopish, my behavior is not likely to change (that's understated but you'll get the drift).

But perhaps you ought to think of this thread as a radio station, BLAT-FM. Turn the dial, george.
blatham

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 09:51 am
@blatham,
And as to career wishes... I don't think I'd want to work for a newspaper nor a campaign. I'm far to lazy and undisciplined and people would yell at me. But if I ever received an invitation (rather unlikely at this point) to try out with a writing team working on the Simpsons or Colbert or the Onion or some such, I would immediately drop the spoon of gruel and tell my dying mother to feed herself and I would be away in a shot.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Fri 17 Mar, 2017 09:56 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I'm not sure that the "attacks" to which you referred really occurred. In any event few or none of them reached the degree of intrusive partisanship which Blatham issues against the U.S. A., it's politics, people and traditions, on almost hourly basis. I don't doubt that the frequency and intensity of his stuff has inspired other to imitate him. I would like to see less of it.

I'm not at all opposed to an objective discussion of events and the issues attending them - I think our dialogue on issues confronting the EU over the last few years is a good example. That's a far cry from taking sides in an issue in which one has no standing or involvement; taking sides and constantly criticizing the intentions, motives and beliefs of those one opposes on matters in which he has no involvement.

The U.S. Is a member of NATO and has good standing to address compliance with the treaty and associated commitments for military readiness by members. The evident fact is that all of the NATO members, the U.S. included, have allowed that readiness to lapse. Moreover as the EU becomes more sovereign the status of NATO ( a treaty among sovereign states) relative to it becomes clouded. That too is an issue of mutual interest.