monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 08:50 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Indeed. For example, in the bedroom the level of immorality ought to be approximately equal for either party.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 09:50 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
For example, in the bedroom the level of immorality ought to be approximately equal for either party.
Would you mind to verify "approximately"? What about "thy desire shall be to thy man"? And the "ruling of man over woman"?
Heretic Atheist that you are!
0 Replies

georgeob1

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 09:55 am
The whole Russian issue is illusory. Russia is more or less what it has been for centuries in relation to the rest of the world: a not-quite-European state spanning a (still) huge area in Eurasia with a broad frontier with the Mongul, Persian and Arab worlds and civilizations, and ambitions in Asia that episodically create trouble for it with Japan and/or China. It remains a sometimes hard to understand collection of contradictions and remotely threatening possibilities.

Russia today is the world's largest exporter of petroleum, not so much because of its rich supply and productive efficiency, but rather because the rest of its economy doesn't work very well, and it needs the revenue to sustain its government - even in a down market for its products.. Its internal economy is smaller than that of just California; its population is declining; and it faces extraordinary population and cultural pressures from the South.

As long as the West can preserve the independence of Ukraine, It really doesn't matter much for our security what Putin does, or doesn't do. As for the rest, we and the rest of the Western world still face a number of real threats and Russia may well play a useful role in their resolution.

The notion that, after sitting back supinely as Putin reassembled parts of the former Czarist/Soviet empire in Armenia Chechnya, Ceimea and now the Donbass region of eastern Ukrane, our Democrat "leaders" are suddenly aroused by a supposed Russian hacking of our election doesn't pass the laugh test. It is a delusion meant to help them hide fron the evident fact that they and their hapless candidate Clinton lost the election themselves. That the supposed "hack" merely revealed added evidence of their own corruption of the election process merely adds sauce to their self-serving neurotic motivation. The country has suffered no injury.

In keeping with all that, the current tempest over AG Sessions' innocent response to Sen Al Franken's trick question at a confirmation hearing is equally ludicrous. I particularly enjoyed Sen Chuck Schumer's call for a resignation, after his earlier assertions that the then sitting AG Lynch's exposed clandestine meeting with Bill Clinton just before the resolution of an ongoing FBI investigation of Cinton corruption at the State Department somehow "Didn't Matter" amidst calls for her recusal.

The Democrats lost the election and haven't yet figured out why and what to do about it. In the interim they are desperately trying to distract themselves and others from the consequences of their defeat, and to prevent those who defeated them from governing. It won't work, and a little patience and persistence on the part of the majority will prevail.
McGentrix

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 10:00 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

The whole Russian issue is illusory. Russia is more or less what it has been for centuries in relation to the rest of the world: a not-quite-European state spanning a (still) huge area in Eurasia with a broad frontier with the Mongul, Persian and Arab worlds and civilizations, and ambitions in Asia that episodically create trouble for it with Japan and/or China. It remains a sometimes hard to understand collection of contradictions and remotely threatening possibilities.

Russia today is the world's largest exporter of petroleum, not so much because of its rich supply and productive efficiency, but rather because the rest of its economy doesn't work very well, and it needs the revenue to sustain its government - even in a down market for its products.. Its internal economy is smaller than that of just California; its population is declining; and it faces extraordinary population and cultural pressures from the South.

As long as the West can preserve the independence of Ukraine, It really doesn't matter much for our security what Putin does, or doesn't do. As for the rest, we and the rest of the Western world still face a number of real threats and Russia may well play a useful role in their resolution.

The notion that, after sitting back supinely as Putin reassembled parts of the former Czarist/Soviet empire in Armenia Chechnya, Ceimea and now the Donbass region of eastern Ukrane, our Democrat "leaders" are suddenly aroused by a supposed Russian hacking of our election doesn't pass the laugh test. It is a delusion meant to help them hide fron the evident fact that they and their hapless candidate Clinton lost the election themselves. That the supposed "hack" merely revealed added evidence of their own corruption of the election process merely adds sauce to their self-serving neurotic motivation. The country has suffered no injury.

In keeping with all that, the current tempest over AG Sessions' innocent response to Sen Al Franken's trick question at a confirmation hearing is equally ludicrous. I particularly enjoyed Sen Chuck Schumer's call for a resignation, after his earlier assertions that the then sitting AG Lynch's exposed clandestine meeting with Bill Clinton just before the resolution of an ongoing FBI investigation of Cinton corruption at the State Department somehow "Didn't Matter" amidst calls for her recusal.

The Democrats lost the election and haven't yet figured out why and what to do about it. In the interim they are desperately trying to distract themselves and others from the consequences of their defeat, and to prevent those who defeated them from governing. It won't work, and a little patience and persistence on the part of the majority will prevail.

As there is no way I could say this any better, I am just going to ride Georgeob1's coat tails and add my name as a signature to his efforts. Thank you George for continually putting better words down to explain many situations far better than I would be able to do. Now I have to reply to Blatham's post....
revelette1

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 10:06 am
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
No, it means if I click I am tossed to your site, and in some cases down one re time I have left.

You will look it up sometime? You have gotten snottier since I first liked you.

Please read about paywalls.

I suppose I don't understand exactly why you seem upset over this. I have agreed to cite the source of any link I leave. Sorry to be snotty. Usually any link I use (except if I am in some kind of debate and want to leave for a particular point) is an article which can be read on any headline news site. I just pick out the ones I find interesting or pertinent to the thread. So, you really don't have to click on my links, you could find it if you feel it is good enough to use for your monthly allotted articles. (didn't know how to phrase it.)

BTW, I kind of had an idea what it meant by your description of the problem you have when you go NYT or other sites. I did too until I got windows 10 and Microsoft edge. However, I looked it up. Your support of paywalls is admirable. Me, if I can get something free, I kind of do it.
izzythepush

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 10:09 am
The BBC website has a bit of video on the Russian Media's reaction. I can't post it here, but here's the link.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-39157854

Quote:
Trump should back Sessions says Russia media

Donald Trump has attacked what he described as a "total witch hunt" against Attorney General Jeff Sessions, who has now stood aside from an investigation into Russian interference in the US election.

The BBC's Steve Rosenberg in Moscow examines how Russian media is reacting to the story.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 10:20 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

I'll respond here as well.
That's not the case (other than in right wing media land). The consensus actually is, as hightor suggests, that we have no way of discerning whether it was consequential or not.

If there is no way to discern whether it was consequential or not would make it inconsequential. Take a look back at Superbowl 51. Edelman made an AMAZING catch in a drive late in the 4th quarter that went on to score a touchdown and eventually win the Superbowl. Was his catch influential in the game? Yes, it helped stoke up the team and keep a drive alive and will live on through the ages as one of the most amazing Superbowl catches ever. However, in the overall scheme, was that one catch consequential to the Patriots winning the game? Probably not. Brady was on fire the second half of the game. The catch happened and the Patriots won. Not because of that one catch though.

blatham wrote:
Quote:
Do you feel that the political culture in the US could actually get more unstable than it has been since 9/11/01?
This is a very odd demarcation point re "stability". Though it was tragic (I was in tears that morning) the actual consequences were not nearly so profound as the financial collapse. And the event itself did not create some significant inflection point where partisanship was suddenly made more extreme. One could make a good case that the SC's involvement in the 2000 election not only made a significant change in the partisan divide but that it demonstrated a clear divide already in place.

I am sure we could trace back party divides to George Washington. But the amount of hatred spewed towards W was a new thing in American politics. Yeah, people complained about Carter and Reagan and Bush 1 and Clinton, but the utter hatred and contempt brought forth at the beginning of the information age was a new thing. 24 hour news cycle needed fodder. Then we were attacked and the country came together for like an hour (yeah I know it was longer, I use hyperbole for effect) and then the split worsened. The Patriot Act and heightened security and endless war divided the nation further. Then Obama and the Presidency that will be looked back on by historians as one of the worst blunders in history. Yeah, 9/11 was the start of the great schism in American politics.

blatham wrote:
Quote:
This is the thing that pisses me off about the whole Russian hacking thing.
Russia's hacking IS important for all the obvious reasons. But it isn't the relevant matter now facing the US (and other nations as well) which is Russia's moves to destabilize western democracies and to create disunity between them. Hacking is merely one tool they use to that end.

As to computer system security, the Iranian enrichment program that was targeted (by the US and Israel, almost certainly) with the Stuxnet worm, was an isolated system. The consensus is that the virus was inserted via a thumb drive. So isolation isn't going to mean security in any absolute sense. Further, that Iranian system compared to the US government was the size of a thimble compared to 20 dump trucks which makes isolation illusory. And, as we know from decades of experience now, bad-actor tech types can fairly quickly get the best of the security systems that even the biggest and most wealthy tech firms have in place with huge staffs dedicated to security.

I don't mean to say that the US or any government ought not to look for ways to increase security. Obviously they must. But I doubt the key problem here is insufficient funding put towards this.

Thumb drives can be easily disabled across a vast array of computers. So can any kind of non-work related activity. An isolated network is more than possible and is not like in the movies. 90% of systems are hacked through social hacking than computer hacking. Train people and keep them up to date and hacking goes away. Unfortunately the Govt can not hire only smart, capable people to work for them so they will always be susceptible to attacks.

Make me CIO of the US Govt IT dept and I can say that within 5 years, it will be unhackable as long as I am allowed to make the rules and do not need to have some kind quota system or hiring freeze. A very large budget will also be necessary.

I've seen the computer systems the government uses and the people running the IT dept. It's sad. So sad.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 10:25 am
@revelette1,
I'm sorry I called you snotty. I was frustrated - you aren't actually a snotty person at all.
revelette1

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 10:38 am
@ossobucotemp,
Oh, no, you called it, I was being a bit snotty. My nose was slightly out of joint and it showed. Anyway, friends again I hope.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 10:41 am
@georgeob1,
Perhaps, the view from some thousand miles away from Russia is different to that from Europe.
Your view, George, is similar to that of thousands of so-called "German-Russians", who support Putin and want the old days back.
It differs from those who go to Russia frequently. And from Russians, who "fled" their home-country (as well as of the majority of the "German-Russians").

For instance, we do think that it matters what Putin does and doesn't do.
And the independence of the Ukraine has been already destroyed - but Putin's followers (or by him, depending whom you believe).
georgeob1

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 10:47 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I' m a good deal more familiar with these aspects of the matter than you appear to recognize. I stand by the strategic assessment I provided nonetheless.

What has your country done about that Walter? It often appears that Germany is Europe's principal psychologically dependent, but unwitting facilitator of Putin's ambitions, along with our former hapless and inept President - and his supporters here who are now- suddenly =alive to the prospect, but obviously doing so only for the self-serving reasons I indicated.
0 Replies

giujohn

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 11:19 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
What the **** will the Democratic party and all the little snowflakes, not to mention all the A2K leftist trolls, do when Trump wins in 2020?

Probably they'll do what all the right wing faggots did after Obama beat Romney — analyze what went wrong and begin to rebuild their political
movement.

Here is another example of this individual, representative of the true nature of those on the lefts bigotry when he uses racial epithets synonymous with the word nigger and now using slurs placing homosexuals in a negative light...Only a complete waste of human skin...A piece of ****, would use these terms and he needs to be purged from this forum.
Olivier5

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 11:26 am
George's geopolitical smarts can be summed up as the capacity to utter a long string of clichés that were already tired during the 70's.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 11:35 am
@revelette1,
Yes, friends again!
0 Replies

hightor

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 12:02 pm
@giujohn,
Quote:
Here is another example of this individual, representative of the true nature of those on the lefts bigotry when he uses racial epithets synonymous with the word nigger and now using slurs placing homosexuals in a negative light

Kid, you're pathetic. Not only can you not format a post properly — you can't even copy and paste. Here's your "quote" of my statement:
Quote:
Probably they'll do what all the right wing faggots did after Obama beat Romney — analyze what went wrong and begin to rebuild their political movement.

If you refer to my post ( # 6,375,628), you'll see I used the term "FLAGGOT", a term I coined to describe people like you.

Funny that you should be such an evangelical for political correctness — "Oh my gracious sakes, that horrible individual called me a hurtful name!" I don't believe in hate speech anyway. Suck it up, kid.
giujohn

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 12:13 pm
@hightor,
Uh huh, yeah, riiiight...More like a typo. First you had no idea the word spearchucker was a racial slur now you are coinning you own words...You must think we are as stupid as you sound. No one's buying it. Those who resort to these type a invectives demonstrate imaturity and a room temperature IQ...So I keeping with the coinage of new terms, your name hence forth is Mr. 72.
cicerone imposter

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 12:21 pm
@giujohn,
Quote:
a room temperature IQ

I like that! LOL
Debra Law

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 12:21 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

georgeob1 wrote:

The whole Russian issue is illusory. . . .

As there is no way I could say this any better . . . .

LOL

You guys should take your comedy show on the road.

Trump's ties to Russia, not illusory.

Tillerman's ties to Russia, not illusory.

Ross's ties to Russia, not illusory.

Looks like the tip of a Russian iceberg colliding with an unstable ship.

cicerone imposter

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 12:25 pm
@Debra Law,
Quote:
Your actions in recent months have demonstrated a disturbing double standard for the treatment of sensitive information, with what appears to be a clear intent to aid one political party over another. I am writing to inform you that my office has determined that these actions may violate the Hatch Act, which bars FBI officials from using their official authority to influence an election. Through your partisan actions, you may have broken the law.
The double standard established by your actions is clear.
In my communications with you and other top officials in the national security community, it has become clear that you possess explosive information about close ties and coordination between Donald Trump, his top advisors, and the Russian government — a foreign interest openly hostile to the United States, which Trump praises at every opportunity. The public has a right to know this information. I wrote to you months ago calling for this information to be released to the public. There is no danger to American interests from releasing it. And yet, you continue to resist calls to inform the public of this critical information.
By contrast, as soon as you came into possession of the slightest innuendo related to Secretary Clinton, you rushed to publicize it in the most negative light possible.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 01:01 pm
The BBC on Pence's hypocrisy.

Quote:
Is Pence a hypocrite? - Anthony Zurcher, BBC News, Washington

Cue the "lock him up" chants by Democrats still raw over Republicans who excoriated Hillary Clinton amid the private email story in 2016.

As with Mrs Clinton's case, there are now concerns that Mr Pence did not rigorously comply with government archiving and open-records guidelines.

There are a few key differences between the former secretary of state and current vice-president, however. Where Mrs Clinton used her own private email server, Mr Pence - just like your grandparents - relied on an America Online account.

There is no evidence that Mrs Clinton's email was illegally accessed, while Mr Pence's account was hijacked by hackers who sent out correspondence to the governor's contacts saying he was stranded in the Philippines and in urgent need of money (to be wired to the hackers, of course).

Although Mr Pence did use his AOL account for messages about state security and discussions of FBI correspondence, there currently are no allegations he dealt with highly classified information. Mrs Clinton had at least some top secret information on her server.

Still, it seems that while Mr Pence was throwing rocks at the Democratic nominee last year, he was living in a digital glass house.

His successor as governor, Eric Holcomb, declined to release an unspecified number of emails from Mr Pence's account, stating that they contain sensitive or confidential information, including that related to homeland security.

But former US President Bill Clinton's adviser Paul Begala said Mr Pence was guilty of "staggering" hypocrisy.

"I'm trying to choke down the vomit," Mr Begala told CNN. "I'm sickened. It's too spectacular. Irony has not only died, it drank a gallon of antifreeze, climbed to the top of the Washington Monument and threw itself off.

"There is no more irony in America."

Indiana law does not prohibit the use of a private email account.

But the legislation is generally interpreted to mean that communications related to official government business must be retained for public records, according to the Indianapolis Star, which broke the story.

Government transparency campaigners say Mr Pence's AOL account missives would not have been automatically recorded for public record-keeping purposes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39148306