monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

giujohn

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 08:09 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Clinton was impeached for lying to Congress about a bj in the Oval Office and now we will watch the Republicans twist themselves into pretzels making up excuses why it was no big deal for Sessions and the other Trump goons to discuss the future with what St. Reagan called the evil empire. I worked for DOD for 32 years, and if I met with the Russians to discuss anything I would have been fired, then face trial for sedition, but apparently the Trumpster thinks he can out strategize the Russians.

Well certainly in your job as a GS-4 clerk typist for some obscure division at the DOD typing requisitions to procure more requisition forms, you deservedly so should be charged if you were communicating with the Russians...But please don't compare yourself to a US Senator doing the business of the US Congress.
layman

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 08:20 am
@giujohn,
Even the Washington Post felt compelled to acknowledge the following, eh?

Quote:
Current and former U.S. officials say they see Kislyak as a diplomat, not an intelligence operative.

Steven Hall, former head of Russia operations at the CIA, said that Russia would have been keenly interested in cultivating a relationship with Sessions because of his role on key congressional committees...Sessions’s membership on the Armed Services Committee would have made him a priority for the Russian ambassador.

Michael McFaul, a Stanford University professor who until 2014 served as U.S. ambassador to Russia, said he was not surprised that Kislyak would seek a meeting with Sessions.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/sessions-spoke-twice-with-russian-ambassador-during-trumps-presidential-campaign-justice-officials-say/2017/03/01/77205eda-feac-11e6-99b4-9e613afeb09f_story.html

Sessions may have spoken to some russian tourists on the street which HE DID NOT DISCLOSE, eh? Investigation is needed!

0 Replies

McGentrix

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 08:20 am
Session's is today's lefty punching bag, eh? It's fun watching how the tides turn based on who's bone is being chewed.

I'm not going to defend Sessions but I will defend the process. He gave a specific answer to a specific question as required by the letter of the law. If there is one thing everyone should have learned from Martha Stewart and Bill Clinton is to only answer the very bare minimum and do so honestly.

If you actually believe that Sessions was lying because he was working a deal with the Russians for a case of vodak or whatever you believe it to be, ask yourself why. What reason could he possibly have?

I'll go ahead an answer for you. He had no reason because it didn't happen.
layman

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 08:24 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

I'm not going to defend Sessions but I will defend the process.

Right, because no defense is needed, eh, Gent:

In a statement issued Wednesday night, Sessions said he “never met with any Russian officials to discuss issues of the campaign. I have no idea what this allegation is about. It is false.”
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 08:26 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Session's is today's lefty punching bag, eh? It's fun watching how the tides turn based on who's bone is being chewed.

I'm not going to defend Sessions but I will defend the process. He gave a specific answer to a specific question as required by the letter of the law. If there is one thing everyone should have learned from Martha Stewart and Bill Clinton is to only answer the very bare minimum and do so honestly.

If you actually believe that Sessions was lying because he was working a deal with the Russians for a case of vodak or whatever you believe it to be, ask yourself why. What reason could he possibly have?

I'll go ahead an answer for you. He had no reason because it didn't happen.

Top Republicans call on Sessions to recuse himself from Russia investigation
Washington Post - ‎1 hour ago‎
Top Republicans said Thursday that Attorney General Jeff Sessions should recuse himself from federal investigations of whether Russia interfered in the 2016 presidential election

Hmm. I didn't know the top Republicans were lefties.
layman

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 08:28 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Top Republicans said Thursday that Attorney General Jeff Sessions should recuse himself from federal investigations of whether Russia interfered in the 2016 presidential election.

Sessions has repeatedly said he would recuse himself in any case that calls for it. No one has to "call for it," especially at this stage. Sessions is not personally "investigating" anything. FBI field agents are doing that, and they are reporting to congress.
0 Replies

hightor

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 08:37 am
@McGentrix,
Good, I'm glad he wasn't working on a deal. Maybe you missed blatham's post earlier and this story:

Quote:
The Washington Post contacted all 26 members of the 2016 Senate Armed Services Committee to see whether any lawmakers besides Sessions met with Kislyak in 2016. Of the 20 lawmakers who responded, every senator, including Chairman John McCain (R-Ariz.), said they did not meet with the Russian ambassador last year. The other lawmakers on the panel did not respond as of Wednesday evening.

So yes, ask yourself, "What reason could he possibly have?". There could be all sorts of possible reasons, some sinister, some completely innocent. That's why further investigation is needed.

Quote:
If you actually believe that Sessions was lying (...)

I might've given him the benefit of the doubt but for the recent observation of one of our astute A2K commentators;

Quote:
When a politician (...) opens their mouth, you should assume they are lying. Every single one. No exceptions.
blatham

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 08:37 am
Sessions appears to have said two things:
Quote:
“I have been called a surrogate at a time or two in that campaign and I did not have communications with the Russians.”
That was in response to Franken's question. But he did have conversations with Russians.

Then, after conceding that he did speak with the R ambassador, his office said that Sessions
Quote:
“did not consider the conversations relevant to the lawmakers’ questions and did not remember in detail what he discussed with Kislyak.”

Quote:
Why would Sessions talk to an official with the Russian government? Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.) noted overnight that she’s been on the Senate Armed Services Committee for a decade, and she’s never had any reason to call or meet with the Russian ambassador. What’s more, the Washington Post talked to 20 senators who were on the committee in 2016 – from both parties – and not one of them had communicated with the Russian ambassador.

Sessions, however, had two separate meetings. He says the communications were “superficial” and unimportant, but we have no idea if that’s true. We also don’t know why he’d take steps to conceal conversations that were anodyne.

It’d also be interesting to know if Sessions had other routine meetings with the Russian ambassador prior to 2016, or if this was unique to last year’s election period.
Benen
And one can ask why, if Sessions couldn't remember what he talked about, how he can stipulate he didn't talk about X or Y.
revelette1

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 08:40 am
AG Sessions : 'I will recuse myself' if necessary

revelette1

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 08:43 am
Obama Aides Left a Trail of Intelligence on Russian Efforts

0 Replies

hightor

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 08:46 am
Quote:
When the audience gave Carryn Owens, Chief Owens’s widow, a standing ovation, Mr. Trump added, “Ryan is looking down right now, you know that, and he’s very happy, because I think he just broke a record.” He was referring, presumably, to the length of the applause.
(...)
In fact, the comment offered a useful peek into the president’s psyche: When he imagines a deceased veteran gazing down from heaven at his widow, the president and the assembled Congress, he sees that veteran measuring the length of his own ovation, and patting himself on the back for breaking a record. In other words, when asked to take the perspective of someone who has “laid down his life for his friends, for his country, and for our freedom,” Mr. Trump assumes that what would gratify such a person is the same thing that gratifies him: adulation.

So tacky!
I wonder if he really believes that the dead are viewing us from above?
izzythepush

@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
Hmm. I didn't know the top Republicans were lefties.

Anyone left of Hitler is a Lefty. That's the logic of Trump's lapdogs.
0 Replies

blatham

@edgarblythe,
That's Chaffetz and McCarthy, so far. There will likely be more. But whether his recusal will actually mean much. It depends how the JD under him behaves and what their real intentions are. The pressure to not dig deeply or to suppress damaging data found will be intense. It will only be someone out of the partisan loop who we ought to look to for the facts in this.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 08:48 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
AG Sessions : 'I will recuse myself' if necessary

We'll see. But he's given himself an opening that is barn-door size here.
layman

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 08:49 am
@blatham,
Quote:
Why would Sessions talk to an official with the Russian government?

Already asked and answered by Ambassadors to Russia and CIA officials.

And then, of course, there's this.

Quote:
Sessions last year had more than 25 conversations with foreign ambassadors as a senior member of the Armed Services Committee, including the British, Korean, Japanese, Polish, Indian, Chinese, Canadian, Australian and German ambassadors, in addition to Kislyak.

Why would he talk to the Polish ambassador?

Isn't that country next to Russia!!??
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 08:51 am
@hightor,
I didn't even want to mention that. How far down this guy will go and how far his fans will follow him scares the hell out of me.
0 Replies

revelette1

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 08:51 am
@blatham,
I agree. However, I don't think this Russian stuff is going to go away, nor should it by any means.
layman

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 08:54 am
This just in!

On July 24, 2016, Sessions was seen driving his car in the vicinity of the Russian Embassy!!
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 09:00 am
@revelette1,
No, it isn't going away. It's far too important and too obvious and the oppositional relationship that Trump and crowd are pushing only motivates journalists to dig in deeper.
0 Replies

layman

Thu 2 Mar, 2017 09:01 am
More breaking news:

It has been discovered that, when he was a college student, Sessions took a course on the russian language!!!!!

And that aint even the half of it. Reliable sources say that in 2006, Sessions' brother-in-law travelled to Russia for two whole weeks!