monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

McGentrix

Wed 1 Mar, 2017 07:20 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
9:24pm... "Radical Islamic Terrorism"

Yes. It was known that he was going to use the phrase in the speech. That was part of the reporting.

Do you mention this because it makes you happy in some manner?

I will admit that it did a lil bit.

2 reason's;

1> It's good to see a world leader call a peach a peach.
2. It made me think of you and the good times we have.
giujohn

Wed 1 Mar, 2017 07:23 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Quote:
Now if you were in the MSM we'd have to say you're an enemy of the 63 million people who voted for our illustrious President

"enemy " is really a stupid loaded word for the almost 70 million who did NOT vote for him.

Hey old man...I said that, not orally...

And where the hell are you getting 70 million?...70 million Gracie??? Not even close...Try 65.8 million.

Olivier5

Wed 1 Mar, 2017 07:27 am
@giujohn,
So Trump is the enemy of 65.8 million people?

Kill or depose the guy.
giujohn

Wed 1 Mar, 2017 07:28 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

giujohn wrote:

madamyes1999 wrote:

I agree with former Pres. Bush who recently affirmed his belief in a strong, independent free press. Its not a good thing that Pres. Trump is encouraging the public to disbelieve the press. Its harmful to our democracy. No one should only trust 1 or 2 news sources that they agree with. I think its good to get news from a wide variety of sources and keep an open mind. I read the NYT, WSJ, NY Daily News, Star Ledger, Time mag, The Atlantic mag, PBS, CNN, NBC, BBC America and FOX. A fully informed electorate is essential to maintaining a successful and well functioning democracy imho.

I'm intelligent enough to know when the news is being reported or when Im seeing fake news/propaganda. When Trump sends the 82nd Airborne to shut down a broadcast station or confiscate a printing press I'll agree the 1st Amendment is in danger. But calling the crap coming out of CNN/MSNBC fake news will not topple or endanger this republic.

Remember, it's only free speech when they do it.

Well said.
0 Replies

revelette1

Wed 1 Mar, 2017 07:31 am
@McGentrix,
There appears to be a conflict between Trump using the term and his National Security advisors beliefs concerning using that term.

Quote:
At an all-hands meeting of the National Security Council on Thursday, Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster said jihadist terrorists aren't true to their professed religion and that the use of the phrase "radical Islamic terrorism" doesn't help the US in working with allies to defeat terrorist groups, an official present at the session confirmed to CNN.

The phrase is unhelpful because terrorist organizations like ISIS represent a perversion of Islam, and are thus un-Islamic, McMaster said, according to a source who attended the meeting.

source

I guess, Trump discarded his own Security council view.
McGentrix

Wed 1 Mar, 2017 07:32 am
@blatham,
The issue was that he used it for every single speech. Without it his "uh"s became distracting. It appeared that he was incapable of giving a speech without it.
giujohn

Wed 1 Mar, 2017 07:33 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

So Trump is the enemy of 65.8 million people?

Kill or depose the guy.

Typical LEFTIST bigotry...As a true lover of America, I would never never call for the death of a President...Even Obama...only scum would do that. You should be banned from this forum...If it were a fairly run forum.
revelette1

Wed 1 Mar, 2017 07:36 am
Fact Check: Trump’s Address to Congress
layman

Wed 1 Mar, 2017 07:37 am
@giujohn,
I just gave this post a thumb's up, John, something I rarely pay any attention to. Nice post.
McGentrix

Wed 1 Mar, 2017 07:41 am
@revelette1,
You do see the difference between an all-hands meeting and a closed door meeting, right?
0 Replies

Olivier5

Wed 1 Mar, 2017 07:43 am
@giujohn,
And what about free speech, then?
McGentrix

Wed 1 Mar, 2017 07:45 am
@revelette1,

Look t that, they found 5 points to quibble about. Must mean the rest of the speech was rather factual. Guess that's going to hurt some feelings.
McGentrix

Wed 1 Mar, 2017 07:48 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

And what about free speech, then?

I do believe even talking about the killing of a US president on the internet is an investigative offense. Do not be surprised if you get a knock from Interpol about it.
Olivier5

Wed 1 Mar, 2017 07:50 am
@McGentrix,
Most welcome. Maybe they can help.
0 Replies

layman

Wed 1 Mar, 2017 08:01 am
@McGentrix,
The left is gunna have trouble trying to spin this as a terrible address.

But I encourage them to continue with their self-destructive methods.

Most Americans, republican and democrat, are going to like what they heard (or at least most of it). They will not be urging their elected representatives to refuse to work with Trump, but instead to obstruct him by every possible means, honest or not. Democrats want to get re-elected too, even if the left-wing doesn't give a ****.
0 Replies

hightor

Wed 1 Mar, 2017 08:11 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
...they found 5 points to quibble about.

I like that — "quibble" — he was exposed as stating untruths. Nothing to "quibble" about.

Quote:
Must mean the rest of the speech was rather factual.

It doesn't mean that at all. If you speak in generalities about "a renewal of the American spirit" (whatever that even means) you can't really get 'fact-checked".

Quote:
Guess that's going to hurt some feelings.

Can you explain that statement? You mean his supporters want to hear more whoppers? I think most people want their president to make factual statements. I'd be thrilled if he issued a coherent speech filled with verifiable facts and detailed plans on how he'll implement his agenda. For christ's sake, that's why we've been criticizing him — for repeating well-worn lines and making colossal misstatements! It won't 'hurt my feelings" if he cleans up his act.
layman

Wed 1 Mar, 2017 08:25 am
@hightor,
Maybe you can tell us all how much this speech proved that Trump is moronic, insane, inarticulate, clueless, and incapable of effective leadership, eh?

Sure, that line is quite "shopworn" but it still retains some entertainment value.
0 Replies

layman

Wed 1 Mar, 2017 08:31 am
It's kinda awesome to hear some 53 year-0ld, 450-pound guy, who is laying on the couch where he sleeps in his mom's basement with a laptop on his stomach, tell us how incompetent the multi-billionaire Donald Trump is, doncha think?

In between sentences he is yelling at his mom "No, I can't come up to get it. You know I can't climb stairs anymore. ****, I can't even fit in the staircase. That aside, I am busy with the crucial task of informing people on A2K about what a sorry loser Trump is. Just keep cookin up those 25-lb bags of rice and hauling them down here everyday, mom. Or else I won't love you anymore."
0 Replies

McGentrix

@hightor,
No, I think quibble is appropriate here as they are using the "facts" that better support them rather than the President.

Like this one for example>
Quote:
Trump said the U.S. has spent $6 trillion in the Middle East and “with this $6 trillion we could have rebuilt our country.” The amount spent so far is $1.7 trillion, according to the Defense Department.

Their "facts" are true, but so are Trumps. "What?! Are you drunk or something?" No. They are cherry picking facts based on the story they want to tell.
Brown University has other facts that you might want to look at.
Quote:
As of August 2016, the US has already appropriated, spent, or taken on obligations to spend more than $3.6 trillion in current dollars on the wars in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan and Syria and on Homeland Security (2001through fiscal year 2016). To this total should be added the approximately $65 billion in dedicated war spending the Department of Defense and State Department have requested for the next fiscal year, 2017, along with an additional nearly $32 billion requested for the Department of Homeland Security in 2017, and estimated spending on veterans in future years. When those are included, the total
US budgetary cost of the wars reaches $4.79 trillion.

Yeah, $4.79 trillion isn't $6 Trillion, but it's also not the $1.7 trillion that factcheck uses either. See how "facts" can be different though? When you cherry pick your "facts" you lose credibility and I like what factcheck does. I just wish they had factcheckers checking their facts sometimes.

Especially when their very next quibble states
Quote:
He cherry-picked the findings of a recent report, saying it found immigration costs U.S. taxpayers “billions of dollars a year.” The report said immigration “has an overall positive impact on long-run economic growth.”

THEY JUST DID THE SAME THING! Thus, I say quibble.

Next
Quote:
As evidence of the poor economic “circumstances we inherited,” the president said “94 million Americans are out of the labor force.”

That’s true as far as it goes

Let me repeat their last bit there... That’s true as far as it goes Why did they feel the need to continue from there I have no idea.

The rest of their stuff is even worse. Complaing about things being vague and such nonsense. I thought they were FACT chackers, not political opinionists. They lose more credibility when they do these sorts of things. Either check facts or don't but at least be honest to yourselves.

giujohn

@layman,
layman wrote:

I just gave this post a thumb's up, John, something I rarely pay any attention to. Nice post.

High praise...Thank you. When faced with a post that is thoughtful and devoid of acrimony, even if I don't agree with a certain point of view, I too can be equally eloquent and measured.

That's what is lacking with the far left.

The reason they are desperate to sink Trump at any cost is they would have to admit that "progressive" (I'm sad to see them co-opt that word) idealogy is a failure and admit to it's death. They then will be a living anachronism.

0 Replies