monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

layman

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 06:06 am
@gungasnake,
I haven't ever really followed all the various theories about who (all) conspired to kill JFK.

That said, I've always assumed LBJ was probably behind it. That's just the way he rolled. All he ever wanted in life was to be President.
gungasnake

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 06:08 am
@gungasnake,
Roger Stone apparently comes to the same basic conclusion:

https://www.amazon.com/Man-Who-Killed-Kennedy-Against/dp/1626363137
0 Replies

gungasnake

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 06:10 am
@layman,
I gave my copy of McClellan's book to my brother after I finished it and he had friends wanting to borrow it but several had to put it down after about sixty pages as they were getting freaked by it.
blatham

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 06:17 am
From Michael Gerson
Quote:
As the ideologist in Trump’s inner circle, Bannon is a practitioner of Newt Gingrich’s mystic arts. Take some partially valid insight at the crossroads of pop economics, pop history and pop psychology; declare it an inexorable world-historic force; and, by implication, take credit for being the only one who sees the inner workings of reality.

For Bannon, it has something to do with “the fourth turning,” or maybe the fifth progression, or the third cataclysm. At any rate, it apparently involves cycles of discontent and disruption. Lots of disruption. Across the West, as he sees it, the victims of globalization — the victims of immigration, free trade and internationalism in general — are rising against their cosmopolitan oppressors. Institutions will crash and rise in new forms. And this restless world spirit takes human form in . . . Nigel Farage and Donald Trump.

Like many philosophies that can be derived entirely from an airport bookstore, this one has an element of truth. The beneficiaries of the liberal international order have not paid sufficient attention to the human costs of rapid economic change. (Just as the critics of internationalism have not paid sufficient attention to the nearly 1 billion people who have left extreme poverty during the past two decades.)
WP

I hadn't made the smart connection between Bannon's internal self-aggrandizement and that airport bookstore style of 'scholarship' before but it is right on the money. Back in the 90s, Gingrich was pumping out this sort of crap all the time with book titles or chapter headings such as:
- The Five Pillars of American Civilization
- Renewing American Civilization
- Windows of Opportunity
- Personal Strength
- Entrepreneurial Free Enterprise
- The Spirit of Invention and Discovery
- Five Core Principles
- Three Big Concepts

I'd go on but then you and I would likely throw up.
0 Replies

layman

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 06:22 am
@gungasnake,
Jackie Kennedy knew the bastard:

Quote:
Jackie Kennedy believed Lyndon B. Johnson was behind the 1963 assassination of her husband President John F. Kennedy. In the sensational tapes recorded by the First Lady months after the President’s death, broadcast by ABC, Kennedy revealed her belief that Johnson and a cabal of Texas tycoons orchestrated the murder of her husband by gunman Lee Harvey Oswald. Kennedy, who later became Jackie Onassis, claimed that the Dallas murder was part of a larger conspiracy to allow Johnson to become American President in his own right....They have been stored in a sealed vault at the Kennedy Library in Boston after orders from Mrs. Kennedy that they would remain secret for 50 years after her death.

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/jackie-kennedy-blamed-lyndon-b-johnson-for-jfk-murder-127220093-237788131
izzythepush

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 06:23 am
@blatham,
Let's hope so, and let's hope for a "disaster."
0 Replies

layman

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 06:31 am
@layman,
An interesting summary here:

Quote:
Emerging consensus that LBJ killed JFK

Three books published in the time leading up to the 50th anniversary of the assassination present a common narrative that JFK was killed by a conspiracy led politically by Lyndon Johnson, and operationally by the CIA and J. Edger Hoover.

In them, we learn about a rush to advance the lone gunman narrative, about how evidence was mishandled and destroyed by the cleaning and refurbishment of the limousine, and how two mishandled autopsies on JFK's body forever buried evidence that could explain much of what happened....

We learn how the FBI, on authority by LBJ himself, would handle the cover-up, and how LBJ would then appoint a blue-ribbon commission who would confirm the cover-up of the prearranged narrative.

Lyndon Johnson was a loutish psychopathic willing to do anything to advance his rise to power. His rise was fueled by graft, corruption, and murder. Yes, murder. LBJ's hitman, Malcolm Wallace, had killed seven other people in Johnson's rise to power, including LBJ's own sister, Josefa Johnson.

http://www.renewamerica.com/columns/lukens/140331
Olivier5

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 06:37 am
@layman,
Wasn't 2017 the year when all JFK-related government documents were supposed to be released?
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 07:00 am
Marsha Blackburn is part of the christian movement who were successful in lobbying god to cancel the "Thou shalt not bear false witness" commandment.
Quote:
There is no evidence that either of these popular elements of the ACA “were Republican provisions,” as Blackburn claims. In fact, Blackburn is on record as promoting the concept of federally funded “high-risk pools” even on the eve of the House vote for the Democratic bill that included a robust provision to bar insurance companies from refusing to cover preexisting conditions. Similarly, the Obama White House and House Democrats were the prime movers of the under-26 provision.

Blackburn earns Four Pinocchios.
WP
0 Replies

McGentrix

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 07:08 am
@Debra Law,
Debra Law wrote:

There appears to be no coherent right-wing policy concerning "state's rights" issues. It's all very willy-nilly.

Huh. You've actually written something I agree with. I'd better write that down on a calendar.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 07:12 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

The changes are amazing. The one that really catches my attention is 'Dissatisfaction with government' which is the primary problem identified in the most recent polling. It has never been as high as it is right now (some years polled, it doesn't even show up as a concern at all).

Yeah, Congress has done little to quell people's fear's and concerns. Trump is turning that around though. Maybe his speech tonight will light a fuse under their collective asses.
McGentrix

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 07:16 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Danish Companies Seek to Hire, but Everyone’s Already Working
NYT
Those goddamn social democracies of Europe. Would someone please tell them that America is exceptional.

I'll do a Walter for you here.

Quote:
Unemployment Rate in Denmark increased to 4.30 percent in December from 4.20 percent in November of 2016. Unemployment Rate in Denmark averaged 4.91 percent from 2007 until 2016, reaching an all time high of 6.20 percent in July of 2010 and a record low of 2.40 percent in June of 2008.

Quote:
In Denmark, the average household net-adjusted disposable income per capita is USD 26 945 a year, less than the OECD average of USD 29 016 a year. But there is a considerable gap between the richest and poorest – the top 20% of the population nearly four times as much as the bottom 20%.

Not everyone is working, but good for them. But, at the same time, it's not all wet dreams and roses over there.
blatham

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 07:16 am
@McGentrix,
I'm not sure how or when you arrived here on earth, McG. I do know, however, that I will not be travelling to your home planet.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 07:18 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

blatham wrote:

The one that really catches my attention is 'Dissatisfaction with government' which is the primary problem identified in the most recent polling. It has never been as high as it is right now (some years polled, it doesn't even show up as a concern at all).

After 8 years of Obama, what else would anyone expect? That's why Trump was elected.

Awww, I should have read further. I'm changing my answer to this one.
blatham

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 07:19 am
@McGentrix,
Good clarification, McG. Now let's look at the stats in the US
Now that's exceptional
blatham

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 07:21 am
@McGentrix,
You guys sure have causation right. And the proof of that is in the wildly divergent approval ratings between Trump and Obama.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 07:25 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Good clarification, McG. Now let's look at the stats in the US
Now that's exceptional

Huh, I see that unemployment is down in America. That's great! Maybe you should be more concerned about this though?

Quote:
The unemployment rate in Canada declined to 6.8 percent in January of 2017 from 6.9 percent in December and below market expectations of 6.9 percent. Employment rose by 48.3 thousand, beating expectations of a 5 thousand decline for the second month. Unemployment Rate in Canada averaged 7.71 percent from 1966 until 2017, reaching an all time high of 13.10 percent in December of 1982 and a record low of 2.90 percent in June of 1966.
blatham

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 07:39 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
Huh, I see that unemployment is down in America. That's great! Maybe you should be more concerned about this though?

Unemployment is down in the US and that is good. Denmark's unemployment is lower and Canada's is higher which is a drag but I have no idea why this is so (assuming all these figures are approximately accurate).

But as you possibly suspect, Canada's unemployment rate isn't going to have serious consequences outside of the families and communities affected.

The US, Trump and this administration along with movement conservatism, on the other hand, have consequences of magnitude for the rest of the world. Which is why my attention is where it is.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 07:46 am
Winner of today's "Of course they did" category
Quote:
House Republicans voted en mass to block a resolution that would have forced Trump to turn his tax returns over to Congress on Monday night.
Think Progress
Because honesty.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 28 Feb, 2017 07:51 am
Boldly re-defining the meaning of "no one"
Quote:
“Paul Ryan: ‘We Know Russia Meddled in the Election, No One Is Disputing That.’ ”
mediate
0 Replies