0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
BillRM

Sun 17 Jan, 2021 02:21 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Censorship is never good.

When out right lies that are used to whip up a mob that
then resulted in deaths and the interfered with the legal functions of our government by force like hell it is not time to put a stop to it.
hightor

Sun 17 Jan, 2021 03:26 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Censorship is never good.

But soapboxing is?
oralloy

Sun 17 Jan, 2021 03:51 pm
@hightor,
Every single person in the political threads is "soapboxing" including you.
oralloy

Sun 17 Jan, 2021 03:54 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
When out right lies that are used to whip up a mob that then resulted in deaths and the interfered with the legal functions of our government by force like hell it is not time to put a stop to it.

In other words, progressives hate freedom and civil liberties.

The 9/11 hijackers hated our freedom and civil liberties too.

I guess we're all lucky that progressives no longer have the power to have truth-tellers dragged off and killed like they did under their hero Stalin.
0 Replies

Wilso

Sun 17 Jan, 2021 05:19 pm
There are millions of businesses with signs stating conditions under which they will refuse service. Twitter is not a signatory to any free speech conventions. It's a business which has the right to deny service to those who break it's rules. Conservatives only support their own ideology when it suits them - like the hypocrites they are.
oralloy

Sun 17 Jan, 2021 05:21 pm
@Wilso,
The next time the conservatives are in charge of the government, they should break up companies like Twitter and Facebook.
Rebelofnj

Sun 17 Jan, 2021 06:01 pm
@oralloy,
The Democrats are planning to introduce new regulations on tech companies in the coming months, so you got your wish. No need to wait for conservatives to assume control.

Quote:
In the months to come, some Democrats now are promising to use their powerful new perches — and their control of the White House and Congress starting in a matter of days — to proffer the sort of tough new laws and other punishments that tech giants have successfully fended off for years. Their seething anger could result in major repercussions for the industry, opening the door for a wide array of policy changes that could hold Facebook, Google and Twitter newly liable for their missteps.
Democrats increasingly have come to see the decades-old protections as too lenient on social media giants, allowing Facebook, Twitter and other companies to skirt accountability for failing to crack down on harmful content, including election misinformation, incitements to violence and hate speech. Republicans share a growing skepticism about Section 230, though GOP lawmakers — led by Trump — have focused their attention instead on penalizing Silicon Valley over unproven allegations of political bias.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2021/01/08/facebook-twitter-congress-trump-riot/
Leadfoot

Sun 17 Jan, 2021 06:21 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Quote:
The Democrats are planning to introduce new regulations on tech companies in the coming months, so you got your wish. No need to wait for conservatives to assume control.
I can never figure out why 'liberals' are so in love with 'Control'.
oralloy

Sun 17 Jan, 2021 06:38 pm
@Leadfoot,
Well someone needs to crack down on these big tech thugs.
oralloy

Sun 17 Jan, 2021 06:39 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:
The Democrats are planning to introduce new regulations on tech companies in the coming months, so you got your wish.

I hope they succeed.
nimh

Sun 17 Jan, 2021 06:48 pm
An endless thread on Twitter which identifies the people who were arrested, or fired, after their participation in the mob storming the Capitol was confirmed is really quite enlightening. The latest tweet right now is at https://twitter.com/Cleavon_MD/status/1350942385056997377, but there will probably be new ones when you check, and you can scroll back up for dozens and dozens more. Very hard for anyone to read through and insist that the rioters were "secretly Antifa" or whatever, and it also gives you quite a view of what kind of people all took part.
nimh

Sun 17 Jan, 2021 06:49 pm
@nimh,
Or, to put it more pithily:

Quote:
Impressive how the “anything bad that happens is Antifa” stuff survives 1000 videos of people saying “I am a Trump supporter here in the Capitol to overthrow the government, here is my face and social security number”

https://mobile.twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1350462501364920323
Rebelofnj

Sun 17 Jan, 2021 07:20 pm
@oralloy,
So, in at least this one instance, you are in agreement in what progressive Democrats want to do. They have been critical of Google and Facebook's actions for some time, and have criticized Biden for hiring a former Facebook executive as White House staff secretary.

Quote:
Hertz is one of the highest-ranking aides serving Biden who recently was in the employ of a Big Tech company.

Her selection stirred anger from both the right, which wants to see the power of Big Tech curtailed, and activists on the far left, who have tried to argue that tech executives should be forbidden from administration positions.

https://www.vox.com/recode/22206646/joe-biden-jessica-hertz-facebook-staff-secretary-big-tech
oralloy

Sun 17 Jan, 2021 07:38 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I agree with the Democrats on all sorts of policy issues actually. Why do you think I call myself a Democrat?

As one example, I think the Iran nuclear deal should be given a chance to succeed, and am hopeful that Mr. Biden will revive it.

If the deal fails and Iran starts developing nukes, I am for bombing Iran to prevent them from getting nuclear weapons. But my first choice here is for the deal to succeed.

As another example, I favor higher taxes on the wealthy. I'd like some of that extra revenue to go to our military, but I'm all for having a stronger social safety net too.
BillW

Sun 17 Jan, 2021 08:08 pm
Less than 100 hours to go! Actually, less than 63! Hurry, hurry, hurry....
Builder

Sun 17 Jan, 2021 08:26 pm
@BillW,
Looks like the focus is back on Biden jnr, and just how he managed to be such a huge earner, from Chinese nationals, and Ukrainian oligarchs, after being booted from the services for drug addiction.
oralloy

Sun 17 Jan, 2021 08:31 pm
@Builder,
It's not too late for Mr. Trump to appoint an independent prosecutor to get to the bottom of it all.
glitterbag

Sun 17 Jan, 2021 08:31 pm
@Builder,
Just for you sparky, just for you.
0 Replies