monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

longjon

Wed 13 Jan, 2021 04:21 pm
Not a single person here can point to an impeachable offense from Trump.

Not one.
snood

Wed 13 Jan, 2021 04:21 pm
Two things I hate about the news coverage and commentary every time there is disgusting behavior by someone or other in politics:
One is the repeating of the mantra “ this is not who we are as a country”. I mean for instance, white supremacist violence may not be one of our best attributes as a country, but it is certainly a part of “who we are”. When they repeat that mantra it just sounds like denial. We can’t grow unless we see our mirror image accurately.

The other thing is when they solemnly intone that “history is going to remember (him/her/them) badly”. As if this will act as a warning that will get people to behave. The American History that’s taught in public schools is partly a reflection of the desires of those in power in school boards and school administrations. I was living in Texas when school boards were actively limiting mentions of things like ‘slavery’ in high school history books. So chances are just as good that history is going to depict asshole politicians as swell people.

Besides that, the people that are behaving badly likely don’t give two shits about the “legacy” of history. I think the bad actors in politics aren’t concerned with how they’ll be remembered, or at least not nearly as much as they are concerned with serving their own self interests right now.

Thanks for allowing me to rant.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 13 Jan, 2021 04:23 pm
@farmerman,
Yep. Or dove in head first.
0 Replies

BillW

Wed 13 Jan, 2021 04:26 pm
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

Damn, ‘Australia doesn’t exist’.

It did, it just fell off as the Earth became flat - look at any globe, it's way down there on the bottom!
farmerman

Wed 13 Jan, 2021 04:33 pm
@BillW,
its all plate tectonics. Pasrt of the plate broke an fell on the floor.That was Austria
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 13 Jan, 2021 04:36 pm
Now that Trump has been the first president ever to be impeached twice, I expect he will award himself the Presidential Medal of Honor.
blatham

Wed 13 Jan, 2021 04:58 pm
Some weird, if predictable, **** going on over at Fox. See Here But one voice gets it right (this guy is a Fox contributor and the political editor at Townhall)
Quote:
Guy Benson
@guypbenson
5h
I can confirm this.

I spoke with a GOP member moments ago, asking if it is true that there are House Republicans who favor impeachment but fear for their lives/physical safety if they follow through with that vote.

Answer: “Yes.”

Fear of MAGA types, to be clear.

0 Replies

MontereyJack

Wed 13 Jan, 2021 04:58 pm
@longjon,
since 237 of the people, including 10 republicans who do in fact determine what is an impeachable offense have decided that his attempts at sedition and incinciting insurrection are in fact impeachable offenses,, and since you are niether a lawyer nor a constitutional expert and hence possess only worthless opinions, you have lost all contact with reality.
oralloy

Wed 13 Jan, 2021 05:04 pm
@MontereyJack,
Appeals to authority are logical fallacies.
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 13 Jan, 2021 05:05 pm
@longjon,
longjon wrote:
Not a single person here can point to an impeachable offense from Trump.
Not one.

Progressives are strangers to facts and reality.
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 13 Jan, 2021 05:06 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:
Gaetz speech was particularly nauseating.
he's quite the Junior Nazi...

Godwin's Law.

A well-deserved victory for Mr. Gaetz, whoever he is.
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 13 Jan, 2021 05:07 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:
the second impeachment is now official --

I was hoping that Mr. Biden would be the first to be impeached twice. Maybe he can be the first to be impeached five times.

The Republicans should put off the trial until after Mr. Trump leaves office. That way the Senate will be stuck holding a long trial instead of working to confirm Mr. Biden's appointments. With any luck the Democrats will drag this out and occupy an entire year of the Biden Administration.
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 13 Jan, 2021 05:08 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
This type of behaviour can be found in people of all persuasions.

It doesn't seem to ever work out that way. It's always progressives who declare holy war on anyone who doesn't agree with them.
glitterbag

Wed 13 Jan, 2021 05:12 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

I do not agree that Israel had anything to do with 9/11.

And nothing to do with the 'Liberty'????
oralloy

Wed 13 Jan, 2021 05:13 pm
@glitterbag,
Friendly fire is unfortunate, but it happens.
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 13 Jan, 2021 05:14 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
According to the BBC a simple majority is all that’s needed in the Senate to stop Trump running for office again.

They are wrong. Nothing will happen without a 2/3 vote to convict.
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 13 Jan, 2021 05:16 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:
kudos to the ten R's who voted to impeach --

Primary them.

Even if this works out so a long impeachment trial paralyzes an entire year of the Biden Administration, these traitors still need to be primaried just on principle.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Wed 13 Jan, 2021 05:18 pm
@glitterbag,
Note he’s not got the bottle to take it up with Builder.
glitterbag

Wed 13 Jan, 2021 05:19 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

Gaetz speech was particularly nauseating.

he's quite the Junior Nazi...

Gaetz is a flaming asshole, he the one who barreled into the SCIF with his cellphone and ordered pizza acting as if the whole thing was a joke. The only joke in the Gaetz family is the one his mother played on his father. Reckless, feckless and totally untrustworthy.
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 13 Jan, 2021 05:34 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Note he’s not got the bottle to take it up with Builder.

I've always politely stated my disagreement when someone (Builder included) says something that I don't agree with.

Why do you have to lie all the time?