monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

oralloy

Mon 11 Jan, 2021 10:12 pm
@Wilso,
Wilso wrote:
So many of us from the actual free world consider the ability to go to a cinema or send our children to school free of the risk of some ******* lunatic with an AR15 gunning us down as the true definition of freedom. I don't live with the fear of getting shot, I get free health care, and hey, the weather is better where I live. So pbbbt. I win.

It is rather silly of you serfs to say that the absence of freedom is freedom.

It is also silly of you to pretend that your lack of freedom somehow makes you safer.
oralloy

Mon 11 Jan, 2021 10:13 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
I gave him a few gimmes a few years ago. Thy went right over his head.

You're lying again. You don't have even a tenth of my knowledge of nuclear technology.
0 Replies

longjon

Mon 11 Jan, 2021 10:43 pm
@Wilso,
Hate speech against conservatives should be treated the same as any other hate speech. It's exactly the same thing as calling someone the N word.
neptuneblue

Mon 11 Jan, 2021 10:51 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Wilso wrote:
So many of us from the actual free world consider the ability to go to a cinema or send our children to school free of the risk of some ******* lunatic with an AR15 gunning us down as the true definition of freedom. I don't live with the fear of getting shot, I get free health care, and hey, the weather is better where I live. So pbbbt. I win.

It is rather silly of you serfs to say that the absence of freedom is freedom.

It is also silly of you to pretend that your lack of freedom somehow makes you safer.

Except I doubt you've ever experienced fear in that manner.

oralloy

Mon 11 Jan, 2021 10:56 pm
@neptuneblue,
What does it matter? It's still a fact that his lack of freedom does not make him any safer.

Statistics are quite clear that gun availability has little impact on homicide rates.
neptuneblue

Mon 11 Jan, 2021 11:06 pm
@oralloy,
Your answer indicates you've not experienced fear in this manner.

So, point blankly, have you or have you not faced imminent death due to gun violence?
oralloy

Mon 11 Jan, 2021 11:09 pm
@neptuneblue,
If you convince me that your question is relevant, I might be inclined to answer.

So long as I can perceive no relevance to the question, I am not so inclined.
neptuneblue

Mon 11 Jan, 2021 11:14 pm
@oralloy,
Just answer the question.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Mon 11 Jan, 2021 11:17 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

Your answer indicates you've not experienced fear in this manner.

So, point blankly, have you or have you not faced imminent death due to gun violence?

His biggest actual fear is not being able to get good reception in his parents basement.
neptuneblue

Mon 11 Jan, 2021 11:22 pm
@glitterbag,
Being cast as a fraud might tip that one.
Builder

Mon 11 Jan, 2021 11:38 pm
@Wilso,
Quote:
I don't live with the fear of getting shot,

Dissidence will soon be criminalised in Australia. What they do with that "law" we're yet to witness, but we've all seen what they've used the AFP for lately; personal attack dog squad.

Barely a journo with the balls today to call them out on anything. Paul Bongiorno being the last I heard of, and even the "opposition" no longer willing to put their necks on the block.

Quote:
I get free health care

Unless you're a career welfare case, you'd know that there's no such thing as a free lunch, or health care. We pay a small percentage of our taxable income, over and above a threshold, and many of us opt for private health care, so we're not on the end of a very long queue, should the need for actual surgery arise.

Pharmaceuticals are also not "free" again, unless you're a career welfare case. While we are party to government concessions on medications, and generic products are quite cheap, they're not free. Not be a long shot.

Quote:
the weather is better where I live.

The land of droughts and flooding rains. Hottest Spring on record, and hopefully some more rain, so we don't have fires large enough to evacuate whole regions, with thousands of people losing their homes and/or lives to fires.

0 Replies

Wilso

Tue 12 Jan, 2021 01:34 am
Seriously, framing your liberty purely on the ability to buy an assault weapon is probably the single saddest and most pathetic thing I’ve ever heard. Only one word can clearly express my feelings. LOSER.
Builder

Tue 12 Jan, 2021 01:40 am
@Wilso,
Making out like you're a winner, for imaginary things you (and the rest of us) don't have, isn't any better.

We're living in very interesting time, Wilso.

Keeping your head in the sand won't make the bad things go away.

Being armed to the teeth isn't the answer, either, but bowing to a criminal "elite" isn't going to go down too well, for you, or me.
0 Replies

hightor

Tue 12 Jan, 2021 03:13 am
Quote:

Quote:
farmerman wrote:

I gave him a few gimmes a few years ago. Thy went right over his head.

You're lying again. You don't have even a tenth of my knowledge of nuclear technology.

Quote:

10. I'm a million (billion, trillion) times smarter than you
11. Liar!

0 Replies

coluber2001

Tue 12 Jan, 2021 03:42 am
0 Replies

Builder

Tue 12 Jan, 2021 03:53 am
It's red or blue, when we both know it's five hundred shades of mauve and grey.

Sad that this forum is so rigid and inflexible in outlook.

I also note, that while you repeatedly say not to respond to certain non-complicit members, that's all you ever seem to accomplish here.

It's like a wound clock, running backwards.
hightor

Tue 12 Jan, 2021 05:07 am
One in 2000 million people on earth is not allowed to talk in Germany!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EreKVnHXAAE8i_7.jpg

Richard J. Evans wrote:
After the events of 9 November 1923 [Beer Hall Putsch]... Despite the fact that the participants in the putsch had shot dead four policemen and staged an armed and (in any reasonable legal terms) treasonous revolt against a legitimately constituted state government, both offenses punishable by death, the court sentenced Hitler to a mere 5 years in prison for high treason, and the others [co-conspirators] were indicted on similar or lighter terms. The court grounded it's leniency in the fact that, as it declared, the participants in the putsch 'were led in their action by a pure patriotic spirit and the most noble will.
Walter Hinteler

Tue 12 Jan, 2021 06:24 am
@hightor,
Actually the caption reads (in translation): "He alone of two billion people on earth may not speak in Germany."

This cartoon from the NSDAP magazine "Der Stürmer" referred to the Bavarian government's ban on Hitler speaking in public from 30 April 1925.
(Hitler was stateless from that onward - until 1932.)
The ban lasted until 1927.
hightor

Tue 12 Jan, 2021 06:26 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Danke, Walter...I knew you'd come through.
0 Replies

maporsche

Tue 12 Jan, 2021 07:24 am
@Builder,
Builder wrote:

I also note, that while you repeatedly say not to respond to certain non-complicit members, that's all you ever seem to accomplish here.

The problem Builder, is that A2K used to have intelligent conversations on topics with people who were willing to have a good-faith discussion on the 500 shades of grey.

Now it seems we have Qanon supporters, posters who can't stop saying the same 5 things over and over and over and over, and people reducing others to nothing more than caricatures.

You express sadness that this forum has become so rigid. I wonder if you have considered how rigid you yourself may have become.