monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Leadfoot

Mon 11 Jan, 2021 06:16 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Most people don’t need hate, it’s something they can do without.

If my true enemy does not hate me, I’d wonder if I was being honest.

You don’t usually have a problem with that.
Leadfoot

Mon 11 Jan, 2021 06:26 am
@snood,
Quote:
Glitterbag correctly pointed out that your rendering of the quote warped the original meaning when you included some notion about “I will fight you to death”, which is not only not part of the original quote, but it’s also mangled syntax.

Bullshit Snood. I think you already know that the essence of the quote is that the speaker would uphold the rights of others to say anything they wanted, even to the point of dying to defend that right, even if they disagree with what is being said. THAT WAS MY POINT.

Now either admit that or be as hypocritical as glitterbag.

I’ll listen to any defense you might have of a different MEANING of the quote. I was quite candid about the possible inaccuracy of the wording.
izzythepush

Mon 11 Jan, 2021 06:32 am
@Leadfoot,
Why do you need a true enemy?

Why not just try to do the right thing?

Hate involves a lot of emotional effort, do you think some anonymous avatar warrants that?

Nothing personal, I don’t hate anyone on A2K. There are some I hold in contempt, but you’re not one of those, not by a long chalk.
snood

Mon 11 Jan, 2021 06:36 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
Glitterbag correctly pointed out that your rendering of the quote warped the original meaning when you included some notion about “I will fight you to death”, which is not only not part of the original quote, but it’s also mangled syntax.

Bullshit Snood. I think you already know that the essence of the quote is that the speaker would uphold the rights of others to say anything they wanted, even to the point of dying to defend that right.

Now either admit that or be as hypocritical as glitterbag.

I’ll listen to any defense you might have of a different MEANING of the quote. I was quite candid about the possible inaccuracy of the wording.

Is English your first language?

“I will fight you to death” (your rendering) does not mean the same thing as "I will defend your rights to the death"
Are you saying those two phrases have the same meaning?

Or, close enough? We aren't playing horseshoes.
Words have meaning in the order and the context in which they are used.

Damn, dude. You just got the freaking quote wrong. that's all. Is that too big a motzo ball for you to swallow?

izzythepush

Mon 11 Jan, 2021 06:36 am
@hightor,
Exactly, it’s something I’ve only heard from some Americans and a few geriatrics who still think we have an empire and have never been abroad.

There are lots of other countries I could happily live in that are in many respects superior to my own. Denmark and the Netherlands spring to mind, but not America, sorry, not with the gun violence and lack of universal health care. I wouldn’t want to live there.
Leadfoot

Mon 11 Jan, 2021 06:43 am
@snood,
Quote:
Damn, dude. You just got the freaking quote wrong. that's all. Is that too big a motzo ball for you to swallow?

I already admitted up front that it was paraphrased, and yes, it was as mangled in wording as my friend farmerman's typing.

Simply put, I don’t believe anyone here missed my meaning in that post, mangled as it might have been.
snood

Mon 11 Jan, 2021 06:44 am
You know what's funny? Trump can't do anything on his mobile phone except make phone calls and send texts. No Twitter, No Instagram, No Facebook, No Youtube, No Snapchat.. The most useful app on his phone right now might be the dang calculator.

hightor

Mon 11 Jan, 2021 06:48 am
@snood,
What is he even doing? It's kind of creepy.
Leadfoot

Mon 11 Jan, 2021 07:01 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Why do you need a true enemy?

Why not just try to do the right thing?

Hate involves a lot of emotional effort, do you think some anonymous avatar warrants that?

Nothing personal, I don’t hate anyone on A2K. There are some I hold in contempt, but you’re not one of those, not by a long chalk.

I didn’t say I needed a true enemy, but it would be foolish to pretend I don’t have one when I do.

Having an enemy does not preclude 'doing the right thing'. Sometimes you can’t even know what the right thing is if you don’t know your enemy.

Yes, hate does require a lot of energy, it diminishes my enemy. My mentor said that loving them is the better way.

And I hope nothing I said made anyone here think that they were my enemy. 'We struggle not against flesh and blood but powers and principalities...'
<quote paraphrased, again>
0 Replies

snood

Mon 11 Jan, 2021 07:15 am
@hightor,
I know! I can’t believe he’s just sitting someplace quietly, awaiting his fate. Much easier to imagine him hatching his next shitty scheme.
0 Replies

NSFW (view)
revelette3

Mon 11 Jan, 2021 09:05 am
@hightor,
Well Tuesday he going to visit his border wall which upsets me on many levels.

Trump coming to Texas
revelette3

Mon 11 Jan, 2021 09:19 am
Quote:
Speaking to The Washington Post on Sunday, Steven Sund said he worried that the protest would turn violent, and was unable to get help until the violence was at its peak.

"We knew we would have large crowds, the potential for some violent altercations," he said.

Four protesters and one police officer died as a result of Wednesday's attack, which plunged Washington into chaos and prompted calls for President Donald Trump to be impeached for inciting the violence.

From 1 p.m. on Wednesday, as the violence was beginning at the perimeter of the Capitol complex, Sund made a string of requests for backup, he told The Post.

Here are the six calls he described; four of which were denied, and two of which approved. Only the first brought immediate help:

At around 1 p.m. Sund called Robert J. Contee, the chief of police for Washington, DC, and 100 officers were deployed.

At 1:09 p.m. Sund called House Sergeant at Arms Paul Irving and Senate

Sergeant at Arms Michael Stenger to get permission to deploy the National Guard. The pair told Sund they would "run it up the chain, but he didn't hear back.

After that Sund called Irving and Stenger for an update, but got none.

At 2:10 p.m. Sund got approval from Irving to call the Guard; but was blocked again at the next step.

At 2:26 p.m. Sund joined a call with Pentagon officials and asked them to deploy the National Guard. He was told no by Lt. Gen. Walter E. Piatt, the director of the Army Staff.

Sund recalled telling Piatt: "I am making an urgent, urgent immediate request for National Guard assistance. I have got to get boots on the ground."

In response, Sund said that Piatt responded: "I don't like the visual of the National Guard standing a police line with the Capitol in the background."

Insider contacted the US Army for comment.

During the call, Sund repeated several times that the situation was "dire," John Falcicchio, chief of staff to Washington Mayor Muriel Bowser, told The Post.

Jonathan Hoffman, a Pentagon spokesman, said that Capitol Police did not request help until after the protest started.

"We rely on Capitol Police and federal law enforcement to provide an assessment of the situation and based on that assessment that they had, they believed they had sufficient personnel and did not make a request," he said, per the Post.

The National Guard were eventually deployed by Christopher C. Miller, acting defense secretary, at 3:10 p.m., according to a Department of Defense timeline, The Post reported.

Those troops only arrived at the Capitol at 5:40 p.m., long after the violence had ceased, The Post said.

Sund also warned of the threat of violence days before, the Post said.

On Monday, Sund asked House and Senate security officials if he could request that that the National Guard be placed on standby, the Post said. He was denied.

Irving, the House Sergeant at Arms, told Sund he didn't like the "optics" of declaring an emergency ahead of the demonstration, Sund said.

"If we would have had the National Guard we could have held them at bay longer, until more officers from our partner agencies could arrive," he told the Post.

After speaking with Irving that day, Sund called Major General William J. Walker, the head D.C. National Guard, and was told that, if called on, 125 troops could come quickly.

Sund announced his resignation on Thursday after widespread criticism of the official reponse to the attack. His last day is due to be January 16.

BI
0 Replies

revelette3

Mon 11 Jan, 2021 09:48 am
Giuliani May Be Expelled From New York Bar Group Over Capitol Riot

Quote:
A New York lawyers group is exploring removing Rudy Giuliani from its membership over his role in the Washington protest that turned into a violent raid on the U.S. Capitol.

The New York State Bar Association announced the probe on Monday. The group does not control admission to practice law in New York, which falls under the courts’ authority. But the NYSBA, along with Association of the Bar for the City of New York, are prominent groups that speak for the state’s legal community.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 11 Jan, 2021 10:17 am
@revelette3,
The footprint of the wall is 40 miles longer than it was before Trump took office - truly a reason to celebrate.
snood

Mon 11 Jan, 2021 10:49 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

The footprint of the wall is 40 miles longer than it was before Trump took office - truly a reason to celebrate.

Better than nothing, I guess.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Mon 11 Jan, 2021 10:52 am
How Online Sleuths Identified Rioters At The Capitol

Quote:
The riot at the Capitol appeared to be almost all chaos and anarchy. But as private researchers and ordinary individuals scrutinized online video and photos, they identified some of those who took part and assisted law enforcement.

John Scott-Railton from Citizen Lab at the University of Toronto focused on individuals who seemed to have a real purpose amid the mob — like two men who were spotted with plastic handcuffs that could be used to detain people or take them hostage.

"I kept finding footage of men wearing body armor, communicating with each other and moving with purpose," Scott-Railton told NPR. "It made me think there were people in there who had specific ideas of what they wanted to accomplish and had come prepared to execute on them."

As he gathered clues, Scott-Railton put out calls for help to people he already knew, as well as strangers, creating a spontaneous army of online sleuths that numbers in the hundreds, if not the thousands.

Crowdsourcing

"This kind of crowdsourcing is not the same thing as a formal investigation. It's certainly not a replacement for the investigations done by the judicial system," he said. But, he added, "it's an excellent mechanism for surfacing clues."

One of the men holding the handcuffs was photographed in the Senate chamber wearing a combat helmet and body armor, which included a number of military insignias and the Texas state flag.

Scott-Railton and his informal team of volunteers went to work and soon found a stream of social media that identified the man as retired Air Force Lt. Col. Larry Brock from Texas.

The other man with the handcuffs — as well as an apparent can of tear gas — turned up in a photo as he was hopping over a rail. He had gone to great lengths to disguise himself, dressed head-to-toe in black camouflage. He had a black face scarf and gloves, as well as a black baseball cap that read "Black Rifle Coffee."

Initially, it looked like a challenging case, Scott-Railton said. But he and his helpers found a photo of the man earlier in the day, standing next to a woman in a plaid shirt with a military vest. That led to an even earlier video at the Washington Grand Hyatt Hotel, where the man was in the same gear, with the same woman — but with his face uncovered.

At that point, he was traced to his social media posts and identified as Eric Munchel from Tennessee.

"Some of the pictures were pretty disturbing, including a shot of him holding a short barreled shotgun up in the air mugging in front of a television showing President Trump," Scott-Railton said. "There were some very sharp-eyed people on Twitter who really helped surface that identity."

Two arrests

Scott-Railton, who says he shares his work with law enforcement, used his Twitter feed to disclose the evidence and he identified Brock and Munchel. On Sunday evening, the U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Columbia announced that both men had been arrested — Brock in Texas and Munchel in Tennessee.

Overall, about 90 people have been arrested in connection with last Wednesday's riot at the Capitol, according to The Associated Press.

Many were charged with violating a D.C. curfew imposed at 6 p.m. on that day. Federal authorities have announced more than 20 arrests, and the acting U.S. attorney for the District of Columbia, Michael Sherwin, told NPR that "hundreds" could eventually face charges.

Since many of those involved have returned home, the FBI has been tracking them down around the country, making arrests in Alabama, Florida and Arkansas.

Investigators have been aided by the many clues that the rioters, mostly white men, left behind.

Many posted videos and photos of themselves while in the Capitol. Many did not wear masks to protect against COVID-19, which made it much easier to identify them. Their cellphones left digital traces placing them at the Capitol during the time of the riot.

Five people, including one police officer, died during the riot. Authorities say the toll could have been much worse. One of those arrested was an Alabama man who parked his pickup truck, with guns and Molotov cocktails, just a block from the Capitol.

Calls for armed rally

As law enforcement works through the aftermath, authorities are also looking ahead for any potential trouble in the runup to President-elect Joe Biden's inauguration on Jan. 20.

The extremist, pro-Trump ecosystem online is calling for an armed rally this Sunday with more to follow.

Washington Mayor Muriel Bowser as well as federal law enforcement say they are looking at potential security threats, and large gatherings are expected to be banned. In addition, Biden's inauguration will have almost no crowds due to COVID-19.

However, Jen Golbeck, a professor at the University of Maryland who follows extremists online, said she is most worried about an individual or a small group seeking to cause trouble.

"It's easier to protect against a big group than a few individuals who are really committed to doing violence and who can't be deterred," she said. "That is language that I'm seeing a lot of online, not from thousands of people, but from dozens of them."

She said the inauguration and landmark buildings in Washington will be well protected, and therefore many not be targeted. But plenty of other places have drawn the ire of the far right and need to have strong security in place, she added.

Last week, some of those taking part in the Trump event posted online maps that provided the locations of many leading media organizations in Washington.

And outside Washington, she added, targets could include state capitols. With some tech companies suspending Trump's social media accounts and those of his supporters, Silicon Valley could become a target. Golbeck even worries about Amazon delivery drivers, since the company's web services stopped hosting Parler, the social media site that attracts many on the far-right.

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/11/955513539/how-online-sleuths-identified-rioters-at-the-capitol
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Walter Hinteler

Mon 11 Jan, 2021 12:43 pm
Internal FBI bulletin details calls for ‘storming’ of buildings and courthouses if Trump is removed from power before inauguration.

FBI reportedly on alert for armed pro-Trump protests in 50 states and Washington
0 Replies

glitterbag

Mon 11 Jan, 2021 12:45 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:

I already admitted up front that it was paraphrased, and yes, it was as mangled in wording as my friend farmerman's typing.

Simply put, I don’t believe anyone here missed my meaning in that post, mangled as it might have been.

It's not actually paraphrasing, trumpeting killing people for what they 'do' versus standing up for the right of people to express themselves are two different things. Wildly different things.......You know I'm right you just don't like it because I was the one who pointed it out. That's why you are doubling down, it's your ego and perceived infallibility that trips you up.