monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

giujohn

Tue 21 Feb, 2017 09:01 am
@revelette1,
Well of course you do...How could you not.
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 21 Feb, 2017 09:02 am
@revelette1,
As its being rwported, this new rollout does seem like it accomplihes what Trump wanted but never got fully involve enough to QA the wording.

giujohn

Tue 21 Feb, 2017 09:07 am
@revelette1,
Notwithstanding The Nutty Nineths decision, the states have no standing, as any objective first-year law student will tell you, and will never withstand legal challenge at scotus.
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 21 Feb, 2017 09:15 am

This thread seems a lot nicer this morning for some reason. All the posters are able to think for themselves and are posting their own viewpoints.
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 21 Feb, 2017 09:17 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
Well, if we are on a kick of telling our wants, I want all those who complain about this thread to stop visiting it every day several times a day, or quit complaining.

On another note, I agree with all of hightor wants.

Ghostcrawler promised me a pony.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 21 Feb, 2017 09:18 am
Quote:
The irony of Flynn’s termination is that he was fired for lying while working in a house full of liars.
NYMag
And ain't that so.

Quote:
Among [Jonathan] Swift’s requirements of a good political liar are that “he ought to have but a short memory,” that he be ready and willing to swear to “both sides of a contradiction,” and that he never consider “whether any proposition were true or false, but whether it were convenient for the present minute or company to affirm or deny it.” The listener, faced with such a liar, is best served by abandoning any effort at verification or interpretation or sorting the true from the false: “[T]he only remedy is to suppose that you have heard some inarticulate sounds, without any meaning at all.”
oralloy

Tue 21 Feb, 2017 09:21 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
As its being rwported, this new rollout does seem like it accomplihes what Trump wanted but never got fully involve enough to QA the wording.

I'm not following the new rollout live. Tonight's evening news is sure to give an adequate summary of it.

But good. I'm glad to hear he's doing what he wanted to accomplish.
oralloy

Tue 21 Feb, 2017 09:22 am
@blatham,
oralloy wrote:
This thread seems a lot nicer this morning for some reason. All the posters are able to think for themselves and are posting their own viewpoints.

Darn. I jinxed it. Sad
farmerman

Tue 21 Feb, 2017 09:30 am
@oralloy,
This reinforces his impulsive personality (prt of his obvious ADHD spectrl display).

This is a relatively chicken-**** policy decision. What he going to do when his admin fucks up big time???
0 Replies

giujohn

Tue 21 Feb, 2017 09:30 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

oralloy wrote:

Darn. I jinxed it. Sad

Not your fault, it was inevitable... he can't help himself.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 21 Feb, 2017 09:44 am
Shave Pence's head bald and you have Mr Clean
Quote:
Indeed, it’s increasingly difficult to know quite what to make of Mike Pence’s role in this mess.

The vice president put his credibility on the line – twice. Pence told the nation that a top member of Team Trump did not discuss sanctions with Putin’s government in December, and that turned out to be untrue. Pence also told the nation that no one from the Trump campaign spoke to Russia before the election, and that was also apparently untrue.

And yet, despite these falsehoods, Pence has effectively positioned himself as some kind of victim. Trump’s people lied to the vice president, the story goes, and he only gave false information to Americans because the White House gave false information to him.

We are, by all appearances, supposed to see Pence as someone on the outside looking in when it comes to Trump’s inner circle, which, to borrow Iran-Contra framing, leaves the vice president “out of the loop.”

It’s possible, of course, that this version of events is accurate. Maybe Pence didn’t mean to mislead the country, and it really was Team Trump’s fault that the vice president ended up damaging his own credibility inadvertently.

But there are plenty of questions in need of answers. Why would Flynn lie to Pence directly? Why wouldn’t the White House let Pence know when officials had reason to believe Flynn’s claims weren’t true? When exactly did Pence learn the truth and what did he do in response?

After he learned the facts, why didn’t Pence make an effort to set the record straight? Did anyone at the White House ask the vice president to remain quiet? Did he volunteer not to say anything?
Steve Benen
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 21 Feb, 2017 09:51 am
Everything I've been able to read so far on McMaster as replacement for Flynn has been positive. Which makes him rather unique in the list of Trump appointees.
farmerman

Tue 21 Feb, 2017 10:10 am
@blatham,
I think T rex may be an asset.

Somebody's gotta be the adult to keep Der Herr and Der Deputat rom pushing too many buttons to prove out "what can possibly go wrong? "
blatham

Tue 21 Feb, 2017 10:23 am
@farmerman,
"T rex"? Assuming you refer to McMaster, me too.

Normally, we look to the civilian administration to keep a check on a zesty (nutty) Pentagon. That has now reversed.
farmerman

Tue 21 Feb, 2017 10:32 am
@blatham,
T rex i my name for Tillrson. Hes already told trump what he would or wouldnt do for Derr Herrn
maporsche

Tue 21 Feb, 2017 11:02 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

About some stuff yes, some stuff no. You need to bear in mind that a large part of society, part of which I am in agreement with, wants Trump to succeed because we agree with what he wants to do. We are against illegal immigration, we don't like Obamacare, we want the swamp drained, we want jobs in America, We want manufacturing to return to America, we want less regulation that stifles small business growth, we want less governmental intrusion, we want trade deals renegotiated, we want the rest of the world to pay their share of things, we want energy independence, we want less crime, we want lower taxes...

Can Trump get us of these things? Probably not but I can certainly tell you one thing, the Democrats will get us NONE of those things. The media is fighting tooth and nail to prevent Trump from doing things as is Congress it appears. We have a do nothing Republican side and the do less than nothing Democrat side.

It's pathetic.

Your daily posts of all the daily "news" about Trump does nothing to help America. I know I can simply give this thread a thumb down and then my day would be better, but then I miss all the talk.

If manufacturing comes back to America it's going to come back as a minimum wage job; barely better than working at McDonalds.

That can't be what you really want.
McGentrix

Tue 21 Feb, 2017 11:08 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

If manufacturing comes back to America it's going to come back as a minimum wage job; barely better than working at McDonalds.

But won't that be like $15 an hour if you guys get what you want? (Which is more than my wife currently makes as an accountant for the govt.) I would rather pay Americans minimum wage than Chinese laborers $0.25 an hour to get my manufactured goods.

Does it really matter how much they are paid though? Better than being unemployed.
maporsche

Tue 21 Feb, 2017 11:13 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

maporsche wrote:

But won't that be like $15 an hour if you guys get what you want? (Which is more than my wife currently makes as an accountant for the govt.) I would rather pay Americans minimum wage than Chinese laborers $0.25 an hour to get my manufactured goods.

Does it really matter how much they are paid though? Better than being unemployed.

$15 is much better than the $7.25 that we have as a minimum wage now, for sure. We don't have that yet though and your republican friends aren't going to let that happen anytime soon (are they?).

How about we target bringing better jobs to the unemployed? I have never understood the nostalgia for manufacturing jobs (which 30 years ago were among the shittiest jobs one could have).
camlok

Tue 21 Feb, 2017 11:19 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
I would rather pay Americans minimum wage than Chinese laborers $0.25 an hour to get my manufactured goods.

What do you have against free enterprise and American capitalism?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Tue 21 Feb, 2017 11:25 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

$15 is much better than the $7.25 that we have as a minimum wage now, for sure. We don't have that yet though and your republican friends aren't going to let that happen anytime soon (are they?).

How about we target bringing better jobs to the unemployed? I have never understood the nostalgia for manufacturing jobs (which 30 years ago were among the shittiest jobs one could have).

The thing about manufacturing jobs is that a lot of people can do them. They are, no malice intended, low skill jobs. Not everyone is cut out to work in healthcare or prisons which seem to be the 2 largest places of employment these days.

What are some examples of the better jobs you'd like to bring to the unemployed?