monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

oralloy

Tue 24 Nov, 2020 11:46 pm
@BillW,
BillW wrote:
Vast numbers of 1st time voters! They are called out for a reason and they have a very high percentage of voting only for President - that's why they came out.

If voters only want to mark a single box on the ballot, they usually mark the "straight party ticket" box.
oralloy

Tue 24 Nov, 2020 11:48 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
White House just announced that Biden will start receiving the presidential daily briefing. Details of when he will receive first one not yet released.

January 20 sounds like a good first time for a briefing to me.
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 24 Nov, 2020 11:49 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:
A little comedy relief:
 https://iili.io/FVJg1e.jpg

The only whining that I've heard has been whining from the left over transition funds.

IMO Mr. Trump should have fired that GSA lady and kept the funds bottled up until January 20.
0 Replies

nimh

Tue 24 Nov, 2020 11:55 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

If voters only want to mark a single box on the ballot, they usually mark the "straight party ticket" box.

Few states allow straight-ticket voting nowadays. Some of the states that did still have it in 2016 have abolished it since (incl Pennsylvania, Iowa and Texas).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight-ticket_voting
oralloy

Wed 25 Nov, 2020 12:04 am
@nimh,
Michigan allows it. The Republicans tried to get rid of it, but the Democrats won that fight and forced the option to remain on the ballots.

So any "president only" ballots in Michigan are highly suspect.
coldjoint

Wed 25 Nov, 2020 12:07 am
@nimh,
Quote:
Few states

Let's talk counties. Biden only won 16.7%. The lowest ever, by far, for a winning candidate and he still managed to get the most votes than anyone in our history. How? Biden charisma? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Demographics or fraud? I will go with the latter
nimh

Wed 25 Nov, 2020 12:13 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

So any "president only" ballots in Michigan are highly suspect.

Biden got just 69 thousand votes more than the Dem Senate candidate in Michigan.

If, by some magic trick, you could delete them all — but then of course also delete Trump's surplus votes compared to the GOP Senate candidate — Biden would still win.

By close to 100 thousand and 2% of the vote, in fact. Since that's by how much the Dem Senate candidate won.
0 Replies

nimh

Wed 25 Nov, 2020 12:23 am
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:
Let's talk counties. Biden only won 16.7%. The lowest ever, by far, for a winning candidate and he still managed to get the most votes than anyone in our history. How? Biden charisma? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Let me introduce you to the fascinating phenomenon of ... cities. You know that 50% of Americans live in 5% of the counties, right?

Like I already said, realignment has the Dems gaining further ground in cities and suburbs, while the GOP gains further ground in rural America.

So Biden does even better than Hillary in the urban and suburban counties that are fewer in number but have large populations, and Trump does even better than last time in the many, many counties with small populations.

Not rocket science, this ;-)
nimh

Wed 25 Nov, 2020 12:27 am
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
Lots of red arrows... but also lots of blue arrows.

There are also numbers. Why don't you post them? That post was bullshit.

You want me to post the numbers for the literal hundreds of counties where Biden's margins were better than Clinton's? I've got a better idea: hover your mouse over literally any of the counties with a blue arrow and see for yourself: click "Shift from 2016" on this map.
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 25 Nov, 2020 12:29 am
@nimh,
Out here in rural Michigan Mr. Trump is certainly popular. We rural people like our civil liberties.
0 Replies

Wilso

Wed 25 Nov, 2020 12:47 am
I can see how the US government was able to spread “reds under the bed” propaganda so easily. These right wing nut jobs will believe anything that reinforces their prejudices, no matter how outlandish. It’s so pathetic that there are so many people who are are just so ******* stupid
0 Replies

coldjoint

Wed 25 Nov, 2020 12:58 am
@nimh,
nimh wrote:

coldjoint wrote:

Let me introduce you to the fascinating phenomenon of ... cities. You know that 50% of Americans live in 5% of the counties, right?

Like I already said, realignment has the Dems gaining further ground in cities and suburbs, while the GOP gains further ground in rural America.

So Biden does even better than Hillary in the urban and suburban counties that are fewer in number but have large populations, and Trump does even better than last time in the many, many counties with small populations.

Not rocket science, this ;-)

No, and it is not rocket science. And the unscientific win of Biden proves it. Fraud is obvious. You are sure they will not get caught. I do not think you care how Biden won, as long as he won. That, IMO, is just is not right and will destroy this country and make Trump our last legitimate president.
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 25 Nov, 2020 06:25 am
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:
There seems to be a growing idea among Trump supporters to boycott the Georgia runoff elections, which would be terrible for the GOP as they need to win those Senate seats and cannot lose any significant support.

Actually it might not make a huge difference. Moderate Democrats aren't going to be willing to pack the courts or violate the Second Amendment or confirm a radical extremist. Even with a 50/50 Senate split and a Democratic majority leader, the Republicans will still be able to prevent the Democrats from carrying out the progressive agenda.

That's not to say I have no preference in the outcome of the election of course.
Rebelofnj

Wed 25 Nov, 2020 07:44 am
@oralloy,
Another way to look at it is that due to Trump's projected loss, there is apparently a growing schism among Republicans, between Trump supporters and traditional conservatives.

Worse case scenario (for them) is Trump and his supporters starting a new political party, which would significantly weaken the Republican Party's chances to win another election.

That is what happened in the 1912 Presidential election: a disagreement on who should be on the ticket led to the Republicans nominating President Taft to run for a second term, while Theodore Roosevelt left the Republican Party and ran under a new party, The Progressive Party.

The result was Taft and Roosevelt split the vote among Republicans, allowing Democrat Woodrow Wilson to win the presidency.
snood

Wed 25 Nov, 2020 07:44 am
I was watching the news (shocker), listening to the tv talking heads describing how the conversation went, when several people supposedly confronted Trump in the White House to convince him to concede. It sounded for all the world exactly like some real wishy-washy parents bargaining with a preteen to get them to clean their room.

"You don't have to say the word 'concede' - you can just say something like 'I am allowing my team to begin doing what's necessary'"
... Sounded just like
"You don't have to dust or vacuum or put away anything - you can just pick your stuff up off the floor."
"You can stay on the same track you're on - 'keeping up the fight'; 'waiting to hear final results'"
... sounded to me like
" You won't be grounded and you can keep your cell phone and allowance and privileges."

I mean, WT actual F?

I will never forget the part that our media played in buoying up this man's madness and destruction. From the start, they wouldn't call him on a lie. They have bent themselves into ugly human pretzels, trying to keep lowering the bar, morphing any standards of common decency so as not to displease the toddler King.

The reason you've heard a thousand times "What if Obama had done that? Everyone would have lost their mind!" is because it's so painfully, undeniably true. This man has pretty much gotten away with murder in large part because our media sold its soul for ratings.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 25 Nov, 2020 08:05 am
Four months ago, Ted Cruz said
Quote:
"If it ends up that Biden wins in November — I hope he doesn't, I don't think he will — but if he does, I guarantee you the week after the election, suddenly all those Democratic governors, all those Democratic mayors, will say, 'Everything's magically better. Go back to work. Go back to school. Suddenly all the problems are solved.' You won't to have to wait for Biden to be sworn in. All they'll need is Election Day and suddenly their willingness to just destroy people's lives and livelihoods, they will have accomplished their task. That's wrong. It's cynical. And we shouldn't be a part of it."

Trump is not the only sociopath in the modern GOP.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 25 Nov, 2020 08:11 am
Some breathless reporting on how Trump is considering pardoning Michael Flynn.

Also, the sun today will rise in the East.
oralloy

Wed 25 Nov, 2020 08:12 am
@Rebelofnj,
I can't see Mr. Trump starting a new political party when he has a very good chance of winning the Republican nomination in 2024.

Maybe if he somehow didn't get the 2024 nomination. But only then.
Walter Hinteler

Wed 25 Nov, 2020 09:09 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Also, the sun today will rise in the East.
Fake news! (The sun only rises east [and sets west] on two days of the year: the spring and fall equinoxes!)
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 25 Nov, 2020 09:29 am
@oralloy,
Quote:

Maybe if he somehow didn't get the 2024 nomination
Hoping most of th really asshole GOPers will be dead by then or retired. II could stand a fiscal conservative but not some of these one issue douche bags who care only for themselves.
The Dems will have a new generation also, and the young folks will have us leaning more liberal .
Im still with Hickenlooper
0 Replies