monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Builder

Wed 18 Nov, 2020 02:19 am
@coldjoint,
Quote:
Your link means nothing

Isn't USA Today one of the "infotainment" shows?

Where if they get caught dealing in fake news, they shrug, and say they're not in the news industry?
MontereyJack

Wed 18 Nov, 2020 03:36 am
@Builder,
No. It's a well-established national newspaper with a good reputation, nothing to do with infotainment. Dumb post on hour part.. And those are knowledgeable people they're quoting, rather than the anonymous creators who invent the unverified lists the anti-biden wackadoodles are so fond of quoting.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Wed 18 Nov, 2020 03:46 am
@coldjoint,
If something is wrong, you deny it, and as those sources show, what you're claiming is truth is not, so the people who investigate and know it's not so deny it. That's why your "evidence" keeps getting thrown out of court. Biden is completely legitimate. Stop trying to steal the election.
BillW

Wed 18 Nov, 2020 04:14 am
@MontereyJack,
https://www.usnews.com/dims4/USNEWS/827cb3b/2147483647/resize/1200x>/quality/85/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia.beam.usnews.com%2Fa3%2Fde%2F4f48c87e431c9ad7cfb76f340016%2F20201116edstc-a.jpg
0 Replies

BillW

Wed 18 Nov, 2020 04:20 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

If something is wrong, you deny it, and as those sources show, what you're claiming is truth is not, so the people who investigate and know it's not so deny it. That's why your "evidence" keeps getting thrown out of court. Biden is completely legitimate. Stop trying to steal the election.

Not just once or twice, not just every once in a while - EVERY TIME!!!!!
Trump got his ass beat - PERIOD!!!!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Wed 18 Nov, 2020 05:47 am

are there any rational folks left who still think Biden stole the election?

Michigan's largest county certifies election results
after Republicans earlier blocked certification

The Wayne County Board of Canvassers initially deadlocked 2-2 on whether to certify the results,
with two Democrats voting to certify and two Republicans voting against it, citing concerns of
examples where Detroit precincts found discrepancies during their post-election review process.
That vote was immediately condemned by Democratic officials and nonpartisan experts, who
said the election in Detroit had been conducted cleanly.

Biden won Michigan by more than 148,000 votes, a victory made possible by a strong showing in
Wayne County, where he netted more than 322,000 votes over Trump...
snood

Wed 18 Nov, 2020 06:07 am
@Region Philbis,
I think you may give wa-ay yonder too much credit. It sounds like you suppose that there ever were people of good faith who thought Biden stole it. I think it was even evident to the mouth-breathers deep in their lizard brains that Biden kicked Trump’s ass, fair and square.

I think what we’ve been witnessing is cynicism that’s deep-seated enough to ignore facts and evidence, and even conscience. Cynicism that says “It looks like Biden won it, but let’s see if we can take it anyway.”

Just my opinion.
blatham

Wed 18 Nov, 2020 06:41 am
@glitterbag,
As justification for blocking Biden's bills I presume you mean?
blatham

Wed 18 Nov, 2020 07:06 am
@snood,
Quote:
It sounds like you suppose that there ever were people of good faith who thought Biden stole it. I think it was even evident to the mouth-breathers deep in their lizard brains that Biden kicked Trump’s ass, fair and square.

I've listened to many interviews with MAGA types who have clearly come to believe the election was stolen from Trump. The number of such people will be many millions. People like Cruz or McConnell or Limbaugh or Stone or Giuliani won't be among that number though as they aren't so stupid - they purposefully make citizens stupid through disinformation in order to gain or hold power.

I think it's critically important to get this right because if America (and the world) doesn't figure out means to minimize disinformation processes then indeed it is an Orwellian future.
Frank Apisa

Wed 18 Nov, 2020 07:18 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
It sounds like you suppose that there ever were people of good faith who thought Biden stole it. I think it was even evident to the mouth-breathers deep in their lizard brains that Biden kicked Trump’s ass, fair and square.

I've listened to many interviews with MAGA types who have clearly come to believe the election was stolen from Trump. The number of such people will be many millions. People like Cruz or McConnell or Limbaugh or Stone or Giuliani won't be among that number though as they aren't so stupid - they purposefully make citizens stupid through disinformation in order to gain or hold power.

I think it's critically important to get this right because if America (and the world) doesn't figure out means to minimize disinformation processes then indeed it is an Orwellian future.

I "love" my country as much as it is possible to "love" a thing like a country. BUT...my advice to anyone living in other countries is, "Do not trust America to "do the right thing."

Over 70,000,000 Americans voted to allow Trump a second term!

Folks, that says more about America...and whether or not you should actually trust it in any meaningful way...than all the lessons of history do.

Think about that. over 70,000,000 people actually voted (without a gun being held to their heads) to allow Trump to remain in office.

What he and his cadre of political sycophants are doing to overturn this recent election are abhorrent. But compared with the fact that over 70,000,000 people freely voted to retain him makes that look like someone enjoying an ice cream cone during hot summer weather.

America should hang its head in shame.

We won't.

But for those outside our borders...you should trust us about as far as any of you can throw a large train engine.
glitterbag

Wed 18 Nov, 2020 07:28 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

As justification for blocking Biden's bills I presume you mean?

Yes, there will breast beating and rendering of clothing while howling we have to reduce the debt and demands to trim social programs. It's only a matter of time before the alt right starts to cry foul over the cradle to grave give-aways.
blatham

Wed 18 Nov, 2020 07:31 am
By the way, all - Apple series Ted Lasso is bloody wonderful.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 18 Nov, 2020 08:04 am
@glitterbag,
Yup.
DrewDad

Wed 18 Nov, 2020 08:30 am
@blatham,
The lawsuit play for Trump is painfully obvious. Throw around a bunch of ridiculous lawsuits, plan your timing on appeals so that you can get to the Supreme Court just before elections would be certified. Get Republican local governments to assign Trump-friendly electors.

The question isn't if he's going to do it, the question is if it's going to be successful.
blatham

Wed 18 Nov, 2020 08:41 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
But for those outside our borders...you should trust us about as far as any of you can throw a large train engine.
There was a famous Canadian strong man who's most popular gimmick was using ropes to pull a train engine. But he's dead now so no hope there (useless additional knowledge - he was also involved in some of the original LSD experiments treating mental disorders)

Your point is well taken. The US, like any prior empire, has a mixed record of good and evil in the world. But from my personal experience, there's been no prior period where disdain for a US president has been so broad and sustained and which has brought about this present level of serious concern for American democracy and justice. I expect Walter and those of us who live elsewhere would say the same.

But there is a phenomenon visible here and, I think, across the western world of segments of those foreign populations being persuaded to think that authoritarianism and authoritarian leaders are the remedy for the complex, confusing and unjust world they perceive they are in. Partly this looks to be human nature but it is also the many temptations they have been provided to think this way by players like Trump or Bolsonaro or Putin or other "strong men" figures who actually regard their fans as entirely expendable and utilitarian means to social domination. And that dynamic is greatly enhanced by modern "information" dissemination technologies. Epistemic turmoil is both the route to power for such people and also a/the key means by which they gain and hold power.

So, up here in Canada, there is no small number of citizens who, though they may not be overly fond of Trump, repeat the sorts of ideas that Trump and other right wing, authoritarian types promote.
Frank Apisa

Wed 18 Nov, 2020 08:46 am
@blatham,
I get ya, Bernie.

Unfortunately, that kind of thinking is more wide-spread than most of us suppose.
0 Replies

revelette3

Wed 18 Nov, 2020 08:48 am
@DrewDad,
I really don't think the country would accept Trump hanging on for a second term when it is so clear he lost. I hope the Supreme Court surprises everyone and rejects to hear the case, failing that, reject Trump's evidence free charges. I don't think this election compares to 2000 as the final votes are not just contained by a slim margin in one state.

I think there would be a mass protest that would outdo all other mass protest in the past history of US voting if the Supreme Courts anoints Trump for a second term. Moreover, the all the evidence Trump's supporting republicans' and Trump's legal team are so obviously frivolous I honestly don't think the US supreme Court would actually do it for the sake of their own Supreme Court body credibility.
blatham

Wed 18 Nov, 2020 08:50 am
@DrewDad,
I think that's dead on. But I have to say that I think Trump has failed in that quest. He has 1 partial legal victory and 27 or so legal losses. However nuts Alito and Thomas might be, I think they understand very well what any move to overturn this election would cause. The better move for people like those dangerous assholes would be to continue playing a longer game and setting up conditions where Republicans can make electoral gains in two and four years.

Side note here... Charles Koch has recently said that he and his crowd really screwed up in that their actions had fostered great divisions in the country. But this claim of dawning revelation has no observable consequences I can see. He's shoving big, big money into holding the Senate.
0 Replies

oristarA

Wed 18 Nov, 2020 09:00 am
Biden will need to rebuild America with valor, vision and wisdom of George Washington.
snood

Wed 18 Nov, 2020 09:01 am
Rev scared me when she said the SCOTUS might “surprise everyone “ and not hear Trump’s case. Here I was thinking it was a foregone thing that they would reject it.

I’d like to hear (almost) everyone’s take - what do you think the chances are that Trump’s lawyers will get a hearing by the SC?

0 Replies