monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

farmerman

Tue 13 Oct, 2020 08:53 am
@hightor,
"winner-take-all is one of them, along with "populationally driven disenfranchisement of voters".
The EC must, at least be mad more equitable and "Winner..." be torn down.
coldjoint

Tue 13 Oct, 2020 08:55 am
Quote:
CAUGHT: YouTube Is Manipulating Joe Biden’s Video Count

Quote:
Now a TGP reader caught YouTube manipulating Joe Biden’s video count in real time!

I just thought you guys would be interested in this. The Biden campaign has just uploaded new ads on his channel and I happened to be refreshing the channel as the videos were being uploaded. The videos had between a few thousand to over 100,000 views within seconds of being uploaded. I wonder if they read the piece you had just put out on the topic? Screenshot from a minute or two after I saw it. Hope you guys can do something with the information. I’d prefer not to receive any credit for providing it

The imaginary Blue wave.
Quote:
Last week Joe Hoft at The Gateway Pundit reported that Joe Biden and Kamala Harris have 3% of the views online as President Donald Trump at his campaign events!
This is an enormous number!
And, once again, it proves what we all know is true — Donald Trump is WINNING and WINNNING BIGLY!

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/10/caught-youtube-manipulating-joe-bidens-video-count/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_campaign=websitesharingbuttons
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 13 Oct, 2020 08:58 am
@hightor,
quote from Ollie
Quote:

I thought the original purpose was to ensure that only the wisest people would decide who the next president would be

That was a hybritical presumption. The FF were not free of feeling theiramour propre
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 13 Oct, 2020 08:59 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
That's because the country was predominantly rural at the time. The preference wasn't explicit but the E.C. came to have that effect.

I don't see how it has such an effect. Large urban areas get more electoral votes than sparse rural areas.

hightor wrote:
It was also designed to protect the physically smaller states against the large ones -- NJ vs Virginia, for example.

How was it supposed to do that?

hightor wrote:
The rise of mega-cities, was of course, never envisioned. But restricting the vote to white, land-owning men -- and allowing slaves to be counted as 3/5 of a person -- effectively gave large agricultural states more representation.

Any disparity of influence arising from restricting the vote to white landowners and allowing slaves to be counted as 3/5 has ended long ago.

hightor wrote:
Over time, however, the density of population increased in small states with urban manufacturing areas and westward expansion led to geographically large states with small populations.

States still receive electoral representation based on their population.

hightor wrote:
The compromises and deals which went into the formation of our government reflected the conditions of the time. Some of them were lofty and showed foresight and wisdom; some weren't. The E.C. was never perfect. Its anti-democratic features have only increased over the years.

What anti-democratic features??

I see only features that preserve and protect democracy.
oralloy

Tue 13 Oct, 2020 09:01 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
"winner-take-all is one of them,

Winner-take-all is just one way of doing things. There is nothing particularly bad about it.
oralloy

Tue 13 Oct, 2020 09:03 am
@hightor,
nyt/stephens wrote:
February 2017: Infuriating movement conservatives, Trump resubmits 64-year-old Merrick Garland's nomination to the Supreme Court, saying he wants to uphold the principle -- denied to his predecessor -- that a president has the right to nominate a candidate to fill a vacant judgeship at any point in his administration.

But he does so as part of a deal in which one of the court's older conservative justices steps down from the bench in favor of Neil Gorsuch, 49. The subsequent retirement of Anthony Kennedy and the death of Ruth Bader Ginsburg mean the court regains its conservative majority, with three younger justices, by the end of Trump's first term.

I'm not sure that I agree with that math. Justice Roberts is a closet progressive.

Also, confirming Merrick Garland would have let the Democrats get away with their mass blocking of W's nominees in 2007-08.

nyt/stephens wrote:
October 2017: Following the massacre of some 60 people (and the injury of more than 800) by a lone gunman in Las Vegas, Trump delivers a prime-time address on the subject of gun control. He observes that, at the time the Second Amendment was written, a skilled marksman could fire, at most, three or four rounds a minute.

"The right to bear arms cannot become a license for American carnage," he says, borrowing a line from his inaugural address. "We're either going to get serious about regulating the ability of just about anyone to get access to high-powered, rapid-firing weapons,

Civilian ownership of rapid-firing weapons has already been heavily restricted for the past 86 years. Additionally, civilians can only own a rapid-fire weapon if it was manufactured and registered more than 34 years ago.

nyt/stephens wrote:
or we're going to start requiring every gun owner to spend every other Sunday doing drills in their local 'well-regulated militia' -- just like it says in the Constitution."

Militiamen have the right to have full-auto rifles, grenades and grenade launchers, and 84mm bazookas. And they have the right to keep them at home.

By all means make everyone in the nation an official militiaman so I can go buy a closet full of 84mm bazookas.

nyt/stephens wrote:
May 2018: In the face of a migration crisis on the U.S.-Mexico border, Trump proposes a grand-immigration bargain with congressional Democrats: full funding for a border wall, in exchange for a path to citizenship for Dreamers. Later, he expands the proposal to a $2 trillion infrastructure bill with "Buy American" provisions, in exchange for expedited environmental reviews for federal projects and a repeal of the Jim Crow-era Davis-Bacon Act, which has long inflated the labor costs of public works.

Mr. Trump was willing to make a deal to get funding for his wall.

It was the Democrats who screwed over undocumented immigrants and said no to a deal.
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 13 Oct, 2020 09:07 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
Then he drives an assault weapon ban through Congress.

Wrong. The article proposed a politically incorrect president.

Only progressives like to violate people's civil liberties for no reason.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Tue 13 Oct, 2020 09:30 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

"winner-take-all is one of them, along with "populationally driven disenfranchisement of voters".
The EC must, at least be mad more equitable and "Winner..." be torn down.

Indeed something must be done with the EC. Twice in recent years it has thwarted the will of the majority in deciding who will become president.

I hope something is corrected during the next four years.
coldjoint

Tue 13 Oct, 2020 09:33 am

I like his nickname for Kamala, "headboard Harris". He points out some facts that make Biden's lead disappear. The media did the same dishonest job in 2016.
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 13 Oct, 2020 09:33 am
@Frank Apisa,
The Electoral College is fine as it is. It is good that progressives are prevented from cheating.
Walter Hinteler

Tue 13 Oct, 2020 09:44 am
@Frank Apisa,
When you read the history of the EC, you'll notice that it was supposed to work without political parties and without national campaigns.

The idea of electing the president by direct popular vote was not widely promoted as an alternative to redesigning the Electoral College because ... he physical and demographic circumstances of the country had not changed that much over decades.
oralloy

Tue 13 Oct, 2020 09:49 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Is the Chancellor of Germany elected by direct popular vote?

How about the Prime Minister of the UK?
hightor

Tue 13 Oct, 2020 10:01 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
Large urban areas get more electoral votes than sparse rural areas.

Not in a contingent election.
Quote:
How was it supposed to do that?

By restricting the number of votes per state in a contingent election.
Quote:
Any disparity of influence arising from restricting the vote to white landowners and allowing slaves to be counted as 3/5 has ended long ago.

True — but it favored large states in the South at the time we're discussing.
Quote:

States still receive electoral representation based on their population.

Not in a contingent election.
Quote:

What anti-democratic features??

Among others, it thwarts the popular vote and restricts all states, regardless of size, to having one vote in a contingent election for president in the House.
Wikipedia wrote:
The contingent election process was first established in Article Two, Section 1, Clause 3 of the United States Constitution. It was subsequently modified by the 12th Amendment in 1804. The phrase "contingent election" is not actually found in the text of the Constitution itself, but has been used to describe this procedure since at least 1823.

Walter Hinteler

Tue 13 Oct, 2020 10:02 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
After the federal election, a candidate as chancellor is proposed by the Federal President, as provided for by the Basic Law.
The election is then held exclusively among the members of the German Bundestag (parliament, lower chamber), who vote in a secret ballot without any prior debate. The candidate requires an absolute majority in Parliament.

The Federal Convention, the largest parliamentary convention of Germany. Its sole function is to elect the Federal President.
The Federal Convention consists of all Members of the Bundestag and an equal number of members elected by states' parliaments.
The number of representatives which the individual states may send to the Federal Convention is calculated based on the population of each Land.
Frank Apisa

Tue 13 Oct, 2020 10:15 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

When you read the history of the EC, you'll notice that it was supposed to work without political parties and without national campaigns.

The idea of electing the president by direct popular vote was not widely promoted as an alternative to redesigning the Electoral College because ... he physical and demographic circumstances of the country had not changed that much over decades.

Yup.

The dynamics behind the EC have changed remarkably in recent times. The notion that a 3,000,000 vote advantage should be nullified by the EC has to be eliminated.

Mind you, both parties went into the election in 2016 (and are going into the new election now) with the EC rules in place. Those rules have to prevail. I do not argue that we should disregard them.

But I do argue that we ought to be doing something to update a feature that is no longer a benefit...but a liability.

Trump COULD lose the popular vote in November by as much as 5,000,000 votes...and still win the election. That is totally unfair...and has to be remediated as soon as possible.
izzythepush

Tue 13 Oct, 2020 10:26 am
@Frank Apisa,
It was always a system the Fascists used to subvert the will of the people. That’s why Dakota is two states instead of one.
oralloy

Tue 13 Oct, 2020 11:36 am
@izzythepush,
Does this mean that the UK is fascist?

Last I knew the UK doesn't choose their prime minister based on direct popular voting.
oralloy

Tue 13 Oct, 2020 11:37 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
Among others, it thwarts the popular vote and restricts all states, regardless of size, to having one vote in a contingent election for president in the House.

Contingent elections are pretty rare and extreme scenarios.

Contingent elections are voted on by Congress, not by the Electoral College.

Even if there is a case against allowing contingent elections (and I do not see such a case), I don't see how that's also an argument against the Electoral College.
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 13 Oct, 2020 11:38 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:
oralloy wrote:

After the federal election, a candidate as chancellor is proposed by the Federal President, as provided for by the Basic Law.
The election is then held exclusively among the members of the German Bundestag (parliament, lower chamber), who vote in a secret ballot without any prior debate. The candidate requires an absolute majority in Parliament.

The Federal Convention, the largest parliamentary convention of Germany. Its sole function is to elect the Federal President.
The Federal Convention consists of all Members of the Bundestag and an equal number of members elected by states' parliaments.
The number of representatives which the individual states may send to the Federal Convention is calculated based on the population of each Land.

So in other words, no.
oralloy

Tue 13 Oct, 2020 11:39 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
Yup.The dynamics behind the EC have changed remarkably in recent times. The notion that a 3,000,000 vote advantage should be nullified by the EC has to be eliminated.

There is no such need. If progressives can't win elections, they need to work to make themselves more appealing to the voters instead of trying to cheat.

Frank Apisa wrote:
Mind you, both parties went into the election in 2016 (and are going into the new election now) with the EC rules in place. Those rules have to prevail. I do not argue that we should disregard them.
But I do argue that we ought to be doing something to update a feature that is no longer a benefit...but a liability.

Preventing progressives from cheating is a benefit, not a liability.

Frank Apisa wrote:
Trump COULD lose the popular vote in November by as much as 5,000,000 votes...and still win the election. That is totally unfair...and has to be remediated as soon as possible.

It is perfectly fair. The same dynamic could also work in favor of the left. It's just how the system works.
0 Replies