monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Wed 15 Feb, 2017 05:08 pm
Should have added this bit from last link (TPM)
Quote:
Trump called leaks from his administration "a criminal action" and claimed that they are being used to "cover up for" Hillary Clinton's election loss.

He does this a lot too. And many right wing folks here do as well.

The premise is that Trump and his administration is getting flak only as a consequence of residual anger from Hillary supporters that Trump won. Any criticisms of him or what he's been up to is a tantrum which arises only out of this jealously.

Trump has always used insult in this way. Before his campaign, through the campaign and now. But it isn't just crude grade-school bullying, it's a technique to distract and to reject ANY criticism from anywhere. As we all understand, no presidential candidate has gained such a broad opposition from his own party (Goldwater the only close comparison). And this continues to be the case now. There are very few GOPers who wished Hillary to win but there are huge swaths of the party at the highest levels who have and continue to criticize Trump and his administration and, certainly Flynn.

blatham

Wed 15 Feb, 2017 05:11 pm
@old europe,
It is a something to behold, no question. The old cliche of the lunatics taking over and running the asylum suddenly seems to have a real world instance.

PS... and all the "concerned about the real issue here which is leaks" was the predictable propaganda line. We knew they'd push it out and obviously, reading here, the folks who we think might gobble it up have done so. But the press won't. They are going to keep digging because they know this congress won't.

And of course, much of the embarrassing leaks are coming not from civil servants but from people in the WH.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Wed 15 Feb, 2017 05:13 pm
@camlok,
It's leftist
Finn dAbuzz

Wed 15 Feb, 2017 05:14 pm
@camlok,
Yes

Serving one's country doesn't make one a brilliant, unerring saint.
camlok

Wed 15 Feb, 2017 05:17 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Aren't you the gentleman who just made a grand plea for everyone to stop this tribalism?

Should then that not include you addressing the points Haaretz described instead of simply passing them off with a tribal chant?
old europe

Wed 15 Feb, 2017 05:18 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:
Should I feel some sort of moral outrage about it like you do?

You can feel however you want about it, Baldimo. If you're happy with the President selling access to millionaires and billionaires and personally profiting from it, that's you're prerogative.

Likewise, if the President fills cabinet positions with Wall Street execs, with former Goldman Sachs employees, with unqualified multi-million dollar contributors, with multi-millionaires and billionaires, you can feel happy about this or not. Completely up to you.

Baldimo wrote:
Are we a nation of laws or aren't we? If what he is doing isn't against the law, then why should it not bother me?

I'm not going to tell you that you should be bothered by it. It's fine to have low standards. Saying "hey, at least it's not literally against the law" is at least a standard.

Let's see if you're going to stick to it.
camlok

Wed 15 Feb, 2017 05:19 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
But he is not the only one. Again, you are being tribal.
blatham

Wed 15 Feb, 2017 05:20 pm
Well, this is cool. I wanted DeVos to fail but didn't get that.

Puzder is withdrawing as Labor nominee. That's very good. Not many people would have been a worse choice (though Trump/Pence might yet find one).

This is a key goal of the modern party and movement - kill unions and damage one of the fundamental organizing and funding sources of the Dems. Better for corporate income and better for the GOP's zest for permanent domination.

Not sure, of course, but I suspect the withdrawl was in the manner of Flynn's "resignation" - not really either individual's choice. Puzder's nomination looked to be in trouble and this "saves face" for Trump et al.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Wed 15 Feb, 2017 05:23 pm
@old europe,
I love that the problem isn't that the house is on fire. The problem is that the smoke alarm sounded.

Turns out some people realized that was a stupid ploy.

cicerone imposter

Wed 15 Feb, 2017 05:27 pm
@blatham,
Baldimo still doesn't get it. Trump's tax plan will benefit the wealthy more than everybody else - like Baldimo. oooops! Maybe, Baldimo is rich!
Still doesn't understand that Trump is a con.

http://www.politicususa.com/2015/09/28/media-trumps-tax-plan-con-benefit-rich.html
farmerman

Wed 15 Feb, 2017 05:30 pm
@ehBeth,
This thread is not interesting to me any more. Its getting really depressing.
blatham

Wed 15 Feb, 2017 05:30 pm
Of course Trump is now going to hold another rally on Saturday. Of course he is.

The thing of it is that this is so normal. Every past president has kept doing rallies in the weeks and months after winning an election. Every one of the. It is certainly not that the man cannot go more than few weeks without swooning adulation from big crowds of people he doesn't actually give a **** about. Not to mention narrative change.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 15 Feb, 2017 05:35 pm
@farmerman,
I'll keep plugging away. Pop in whenever you like.
cicerone imposter

Wed 15 Feb, 2017 05:37 pm
@blatham,
Me too!
Here's another con from Trump.
http://www.politicususa.com/2015/09/28/media-trumps-tax-plan-con-benefit-rich.html

Baldimo et al who loves Trump can't get enough of him! LOL
Baldimo

Wed 15 Feb, 2017 05:40 pm
@old europe,
Quote:
You can feel however you want about it, Baldimo. If you're happy with the President selling access to millionaires and billionaires and personally profiting from it, that's you're prerogative.

I'm not working under the assumption that he is selling access to these people, you are, for now I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. What would be interesting to know is who was or wasn't a member of the club prior to the election? That would be telling if corruption were to take place. As for increasing the price, I would do the very same thing. Why not, if people are already paying a certain price and are willing to pay a higher price for the same thing, why not raise the price. It's not like he is selling medicine...

Quote:
Likewise, if the President fills cabinet positions with Wall Street execs, with former Goldman Sachs employees, with unqualified multi-million dollar contributors, with multi-millionaires and billionaires, you can feel happy about this or not. Completely up to you.

How I feel about this is a different question. It has seemed for some time that political insiders/lifers have pretty much ruined our system of govt. I have for some time thought that we should maybe get people in there who don't have all of the "Washington" experience but have business experience and have been successful. I don't hold the same misgivings about CEO's and corps that most on the left do. Do I think some of his picks have been questionable? Sure I do, but as I've noted before, I'm giving him the same 2 year grace period I gave Obama. I wanna see what they are going to do, there is always time to change course and if the GOP can't keep Trump in check, then the Dems will win back seats in Congress and momentum will shift, no second term for Trump and the deck gets shuffled.

Quote:
I'm not going to tell you that you should be bothered by it. It's fine to have low standards. Saying "hey, at least it's not literally against the law" is at least a standard.

Let's see if you're going to stick to it.

It's not low standards at all, I honestly don't think it would have mattered which candidate from the right won, I think the left would still be doing the same exact thing they are doing now, Trump is only unique in that he wasn't a politician so the things for the left to be "concerned over" are expanded.

blatham

Wed 15 Feb, 2017 05:41 pm
Quote:
President Donald Trump on Wednesday continued his streak of calling only on conservative-leaning outlets at his bilateral press conferences with foreign leaders.

During his press conference with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu Wednesday afternoon, Trump called on David Brody of the Christian Broadcasting Network and Katie Pavlich, the editor of TownHall.com.
Politico[url]

Nothing authoritarian in this.
blatham

Wed 15 Feb, 2017 05:43 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yup. Poor suckers are real slow in perceiving the bait and switch.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Wed 15 Feb, 2017 05:48 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Baldimo still doesn't get it. Trump's tax plan will benefit the wealthy more than everybody else - like Baldimo. oooops! Maybe, Baldimo is rich!
Still doesn't understand that Trump is a con.

You guys say that about every right of center candidate. "IT'S ONLY FOR THE RICH, IT'S GOING TO SCREW THE LITTLE GUY". It really does get tiring. I wonder if he is going to move forward with his plan or go with something from Congress, only time will tell.

For the record I'm not rich or even close, I make under 100k a year and thanks to my ex-wife, I have almost no retirement left and won't for another 6 years when I no longer have to pay alimony. Paying out 40% of your pay to someone else is a real pain in the ass.
blatham

Wed 15 Feb, 2017 05:49 pm
I wonder what this man would say if you asked him what might be the definition of "relevant response to a question"?

Quote:
President Donald Trump, during a joint news conference Wednesday with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, bragged about his Electoral College victory in the 2016 election when asked a question about an increase in anti-Semitic incidents since Trump’s political rise.

“I just want to say that we are very honored by the victory that we had, 306 Electoral College votes,” Trump said. “We were not supposed to crack 220, you know that, right? There was no way to 221; then they said there’s no way to 270. There was tremendous enthusiasm out there.”
Politico
0 Replies

McGentrix

Wed 15 Feb, 2017 05:51 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
President Donald Trump on Wednesday continued his streak of calling only on conservative-leaning outlets at his bilateral press conferences with foreign leaders.

During his press conference with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu Wednesday afternoon, Trump called on David Brody of the Christian Broadcasting Network and Katie Pavlich, the editor of TownHall.com.
Politico[url]

Nothing authoritarian in this.

Now, THIS is very interesting. 187 times now.