monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

old europe

Wed 15 Feb, 2017 03:26 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:
it was the Clinton's who sold access to the Lincoln Bedroom.

So you're saying it was completely fine that the Clintons "sold access to the Lincoln Bedroom?"
cicerone imposter

Wed 15 Feb, 2017 03:29 pm
@Baldimo,
The main point being that Trump doubled the membership fee at his resort based on commercializing the presidency. Hob job with the president for $200,000.
Baldimo

Wed 15 Feb, 2017 03:30 pm
@old europe,
No, I'm just letting the Trump haters that know that they shouldn't cast stones if they were ever a Clinton supporter.
old europe

Wed 15 Feb, 2017 03:31 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Relevant article:

Quote:
Mar-a-Lago membership fee doubles to $200,000

Mar-a-Lago, the Palm Beach resort owned by the Trump Organization, doubled its initiation fee to $200,000 following the election of Donald Trump as president.

People close to the Florida resort said the increase took effect Jan. 1. The resort had been considering an increase for some time, said those people, who declined to provide their names because they were not authorized to speak on behalf of the company.

A spokesperson for the Trump Organization did not respond to CNBC's request for comment. But the timing is likely to add to criticism that the Trump Organization is trying to benefit from the president's election.

Indeed, shortly after the fee hike was revealed, Barack Obama's former top ethics lawyer told MSNBC that the increase is a "not very subtle exploitation of the fact that the club's figurehead is now president of the U.S."

"This type of naked profiteering off of a government office is what I would expect from King Louis XVI or his modern kleptocratic equivalents, not an American president," Norm Eisen said.

[...]
ossobucotemp

Wed 15 Feb, 2017 03:33 pm
@old europe,
Crimini!
0 Replies

old europe

Wed 15 Feb, 2017 03:34 pm
@Baldimo,
No?

So are you at least the tiniest bit critical of a President who personally profits from selling membership - at a rate of $200,000 in membership fees, and $14,000 a year in annual dues - in exchange for personal access to his White House staff and himself?
Baldimo

Wed 15 Feb, 2017 03:39 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
The main point being that Trump doubled the membership fee at his resort based on commercializing the presidency. Hob job with the president for $200,000.

He did it for this reason? Prove it. It sounds like more crying from the likes of you.
Baldimo

Wed 15 Feb, 2017 03:43 pm
@old europe,
Quote:
So are you at least the tiniest bit critical of a President who personally profits from selling membership - at a rate of $200,000 in membership fees, and $14,000 a year in annual dues -

Unless the law changes, I don't see anything in the laws that says the President can't profit from his time in office. In fact every single modern President has left office wealthier, no poorer, well unless you are the Clintons...

Quote:
in exchange for personal access to his White House staff and himself?

This is the part that has no factual proof to go with it. Unless it is written into their membership contract, you are pulling stuff from your backside.
maporsche

Wed 15 Feb, 2017 03:47 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Quote:
So are you at least the tiniest bit critical of a President who personally profits from selling membership - at a rate of $200,000 in membership fees, and $14,000 a year in annual dues -

Unless the law changes, I don't see anything in the laws that says the President can't profit from his time in office. In fact every single modern President has left office wealthier, no poorer, well unless you are the Clintons...

I don't know that this is a legal issue here.

I do wonder how the right would handle it if Clinton were president...actually, no I don't. We all know what would happen.
cicerone imposter

Wed 15 Feb, 2017 03:48 pm
@Baldimo,
Not crying; Absolutely no interest in a membership that has anything to do with Trump. Just stating facts; promoting his business as president. Without the title, he'd have to give a discount to stay in business.
He just cheapened the presidency for the future of our country.

How about Trump advisors communicating with the Russians. You okay with that?
old europe

Wed 15 Feb, 2017 03:53 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:
Unless the law changes, I don't see anything in the laws that says the President can't profit from his time in office.

So you're cool with the fact that Trump has not divested the property, and is personally profiting from membership fees and annual dues?

You're critical of people who made a donation to the DNC being invited to stay at the Lincoln Bedroom, but Trump personally raking in what are most likely millions of dollars in private profits is nothing to be too concerned about?

Baldimo wrote:
This is the part that has no factual proof to go with it. Unless it is written into their membership contract, you are pulling stuff from your backside.

Oh yeah, you're right. If it's not in the contract, then it doesn't matter.

Of course, there is a lot of proof now that you might run into the President at Mar-a-Lago. Or that you might run into top ranking White House staff. Or that you might be able to take a selfie with the guy who carries the nuclear football. Or that you might personally witness how the President and his international partners react to an international crisis. Or that the President might come over to crash your wedding party and personally congratulate you.

As long as you paid your $200,000 membership fee and your $14,000 annual dues, of course.

But if it's not in a contract, then it's completely irrelevant. As irrelevant as the accusations against Hillary that a donation to the Clinton Foundation would grant anyone access to the Secretary of State.
maporsche

Wed 15 Feb, 2017 03:59 pm
@old europe,
old europe wrote:

Baldimo wrote:
Unless the law changes, I don't see anything in the laws that says the President can't profit from his time in office.

So you're cool with the fact that Trump has not divested the property, and is personally profiting from membership fees and annual dues?

You're critical of people who made a donation to the DNC being invited to stay at the Lincoln Bedroom, but Trump personally raking in what are most likely millions of dollars in private profits is nothing to be too concerned about?

Baldimo wrote:

Oh yeah, you're right. If it's not in the contract, then it doesn't matter.

Of course, there is a lot of proof now that you might run into the President at Mar-a-Lago. Or that you might run into top ranking White House staff. Or that you might be able to take a selfie with the guy who carries the nuclear football. Or that you might personally witness how the President and his international partners react to an international crisis. Or that the President might come over to crash your wedding party and personally congratulate you.

As long as you paid your $200,000 membership fee and your $14,000 annual dues, of course.

But if it's not in a contract, then it's completely irrelevant. As irrelevant as the accusations against Hillary that a donation to the Clinton Foundation would grant anyone access to the Secretary of State.

At least Clinton was meeting with people who typically have business with the Secretary of State...Trump crashed a wedding and bragged about how much the family had paid him (not to mention how much they donated to his campaign).
0 Replies

Baldimo

Wed 15 Feb, 2017 04:03 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
I do wonder how the right would handle it if Clinton were president...actually, no I don't. We all know what would happen.

It already happened, the Clintons were indeed selling access to the highest bidder even back then. They didn't have a foundation yet, they had the White House and an overnight stay in the Lincoln Bedroom. At least Trump owns his own business, the Clintons never did.
maporsche

Wed 15 Feb, 2017 04:04 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:
Quote:

It already happened, the Clintons were indeed selling access to the highest bidder even back then. They didn't have a foundation yet, they had the White House and an overnight stay in the Lincoln Bedroom. At least Trump owns his own business, the Clintons never did.

Let me guess...you were probably pretty upset when you found out Clinton did what they did right?
0 Replies

old europe

Wed 15 Feb, 2017 04:09 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:
Quote:

Clintons granting access to Lincoln Bedroom for DNC contributors - bad.

Trump personally raking in hundreds of thousands of dollars from selling access to himself at a private business he personally owns - good.
oralloy

Wed 15 Feb, 2017 04:15 pm
@old europe,
old europe wrote:
Clintons granting access to Lincoln Bedroom for DNC contributors - bad.

Trump personally raking in hundreds of thousands of dollars from selling access to himself at a private business he personally owns - good.

Sounds reasonable to me.
cicerone imposter

Wed 15 Feb, 2017 04:19 pm
@oralloy,
Trump name for business; bad. Scion name for Trump business; ?.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Wed 15 Feb, 2017 04:19 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Not crying; Absolutely no interest in a membership that has anything to do with Trump. Just stating facts; promoting his business as president. Without the title, he'd have to give a discount to stay in business.

I'm not sure about that, except for his Atlantic City properties, most of his business were doing ok prior to him winning the election. Sure some people decided to divest from his stuff, but how much of that is just being spiteful?

Quote:
He just cheapened the presidency for the future of our country.

You keep saying that. More spilt milk from you.

Quote:
How about Trump advisors communicating with the Russians. You okay with that?

Subject change?
cicerone imposter

Wed 15 Feb, 2017 04:22 pm
@Baldimo,
Too many subjects for you?
izzythepush

Wed 15 Feb, 2017 04:25 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:
you are pulling stuff from your backside.

Calm down. And wipe your chin.
0 Replies