monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

hightor

Sun 13 Sep, 2020 08:29 am
@oralloy,
Quote:

The only thing that you are capable of presenting in support of your position is childish name-calling.

I looked over recent replies on this thread and didn't notice any instances of this "childish name-calling". Maybe you don't like someone's tone of voice or style of debate but that's not the same thing as engaging in name-calling.
izzythepush

Sun 13 Sep, 2020 08:40 am
@hightor,
Oralloy has a very limited vocabulary, “childish name calling” is one of about seven responses.
justaguy2

Sun 13 Sep, 2020 08:50 am
@RABEL222,
Prosecuting trump will only be seen as nothing but yet another silly little political witch hunt, right, wrong or indifferent - probably a mixture of all three. And it will do nothing but cause even more division in your country, which is the last thing it needs. Assuming biden wins, he is already going to have his work cut out for him, and it's very likely that it will take longer than his term to "bring your country together", even if he does actually get some meaningful action done.

So in this case, you have to look at what's more important; yet another silly and pointless little witch hunt, or "bringing people together" and actually fixing your country's problems. It would seem to me that the latter is far more important.

Why are you Americans so sadistic? Just vote the narcissist out in November and move on, and actually start fixing your country's problems with meaningful action. Do the rest of the world a favor who is sick and ******* tired of hearing about trump and the rest of your clowns that you call "politicians", for **** sake! Why drag the whole ******* saga out even more??!
oralloy

Sun 13 Sep, 2020 09:06 am
@izzythepush,
@izzythepush,
You lie about me because you are too stupid to say anything intelligent.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sun 13 Sep, 2020 09:11 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
I looked over recent replies on this thread and didn't notice any instances of this "childish name-calling".

Here are two recent examples of Farmerman's childish name-calling in this thread.

"youre neither intelligent nor creative enough to come up with anything that indicates you're able to engage in interesting debate."

"You come in ohhhh, ,somewhere beneath whale ****."
snood

Sun 13 Sep, 2020 09:17 am
@justaguy2,
justaguy2 wrote:

Why are you Americans so sadistic? Just vote the narcissist out in November and move on, and actually start fixing your country's problems with meaningful action. Do the rest of the world a favor who is sick and ******* tired of hearing about trump and the rest of your clowns that you call "politicians", for **** sake! Why drag the whole ******* saga out even more??!

We’ve experienced criminal presidents getting pardoned before, and it took us a minute to absorb the choice to not pursue prosecution, but we heaved a collective sigh and got on with it.

Trump presents such a particularly long and egregious set of offenses against the public good - against democracy - against humanity itself. And beyond that, he’s lived a long life of breaking rules and laws without ever having to provide account. I don’t think “moving on“ with him skirting accountability again is something Americans can stomach.

I’m sick of hearing about Trump too. I think most of us are. But we’re sicker of him shitting on our constitution and our environment - on our country - without consequence.

I think a unified Democratic government ( fingers crossed we gain the Senate) is quite capable of doing both things at the same time - implementing policies and prosecuting Donald Trump et al.

Your generous advice to move on “for **** sake” is acknowledged.
justaguy2

Sun 13 Sep, 2020 09:23 am
@snood,
Well, and again, wasting time taking trump to court will only lead to yet more division.

So what's better; more division, or actually making some progress and maybe one day having a far better country for it?

I know which option I'd choose if it were up to me.
oralloy

Sun 13 Sep, 2020 09:35 am
@snood,
snood wrote:
Trump presents such a particularly long and egregious set of offenses against the public good - against democracy - against humanity itself.

Nonsense. Mr. Trump hasn't done anything wrong. He merely doesn't agree with you.

The Democrats' abuse of the law to persecute people who disagree with them is why it is so important to outlaw the Democratic Party.
MontereyJack

Sun 13 Sep, 2020 09:45 am
@oralloy,
trump's egregious misuse of power to demonize and destroy anybody who disagrees with him and his every whom, which includes the majority of the country is why we should outlaw him. voting him out of power in six weeks is a good way to start.
MontereyJack

Sun 13 Sep, 2020 09:47 am
@oralloy,
gee, sounds a lot like one if your usual posts, doesn't it?
oralloy

Sun 13 Sep, 2020 09:53 am
@MontereyJack,
No. It doesn't.

I rely on facts and logic instead of childish name-calling.
oralloy

Sun 13 Sep, 2020 09:54 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
trump's egregious misuse of power to demonize and destroy anybody who disagrees with him

Nonsense. Who has Mr. Trump destroyed?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sun 13 Sep, 2020 09:54 am
@justaguy2,
Nixon got away with it and the consequences are a mistrust of politicians and Watergate being brought up any time there is any form of scandal, the suffix gate being applied left right and centre.

What about the next would be dictator, he might be emboldened to go much further, and he’s less likely to be a complete morn like Trump.
Brandon9000

Sun 13 Sep, 2020 09:59 am
@snood,
snood wrote:
...Trump presents such a particularly long and egregious set of offenses against the public good - against democracy - against humanity itself...

Democracy is defined as a system of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised by them through periodically held free elections.

What has Trump done to indicate that he is against democracy? As far as I can see, it's the Democrats who don't accept election results.
oralloy

Sun 13 Sep, 2020 10:11 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
As far as I can see, it's the Democrats who don't accept election results.

Yep.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sun 13 Sep, 2020 10:12 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
Nixon got away with it

Mr. Nixon did nothing wrong. He was the victim of a progressive lynching.
Walter Hinteler

Sun 13 Sep, 2020 10:13 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
Democracy is defined as a system of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised by them through periodically held free elections.
The USA being 25th in the last ranking (2019) of the state of democracy in 167 countries.
justaguy2

Sun 13 Sep, 2020 10:18 am
@izzythepush,
Yes, true. But I think there always has been mistrust of politicians and always will be. The same as there will always be supporters of one party that don't trust politicians in the other main party.

We had an example here of a trump-like politician who not only started their own party, was basically our own trump, and who even won at least three or four seats in federal parliament being Clive Palmer. Who ripped off his own workers and is just as narcissistic as trump himself. In the end, not only did all but one of the elected politicians in his former party leave it, he got the ass at the ballot box in the following election after spending millions on advertising, and didn't even win one seat. About the only thing his money did do was help the federal Liberal/LNP party win Queensland, and therefore the election.

The point is, he can say what he likes, nobody gives a rat's ass what he says anymore, and he's no longer even in parliament, and therefore has no power anymore. So about the only thing he can do nowadays is, and apart from whinge and complain, sue state governments here (like Western Australia for one). He's nobody now politically speaking, and to most I know, he is a lair and a fraud. He got his just deserts at the end of the day - so who gives a **** about him anymore? Nobody I know, that's who.
justaguy2

Sun 13 Sep, 2020 10:21 am
@Walter Hinteler,
The USA is also listed as a "flawed democracy" too.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sun 13 Sep, 2020 10:29 am
@justaguy2,
Certain events highlight distrust and if nothing is done that distrust lingers.

We had real scandal over here a few years ago about MP’s expenses, and laws changed as a result but it only changed attitudes slightly, a lot more needs to be done before we get to where we were before.

Nixon got off Scot free while his underlings went to prison, that’s even worse than letting everyone off.

“It is considered useful now and again to shoot an admiral.” Voltaire in Candide.