monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Frank Apisa

Thu 10 Sep, 2020 04:28 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

‘We’re No. 28! And Dropping!’

A measure of social progress finds that the quality of life has dropped in America over the last decade, even as it has risen almost everywhere else.

Quote:
This should be a wake-up call: New data suggest that the United States is one of just a few countries worldwide that is slipping backward.

The newest Social Progress Index, shared with me before its official release Thursday morning, finds that out of 163 countries assessed worldwide, the United States, Brazil and Hungary are the only ones in which people are worse off than when the index began in 2011. And the declines in Brazil and Hungary were smaller than America’s.

“The data paint an alarming picture of the state of our nation, and we hope it will be a call to action,” Michael Porter, a Harvard Business School professor and the chair of the advisory panel for the Social Progress Index, told me. “It’s like we’re a developing country.”

The index, inspired by research of Nobel-winning economists, collects 50 metrics of well-being — nutrition, safety, freedom, the environment, health, education and more — to measure quality of life. Norway comes out on top in the 2020 edition, followed by Denmark, Finland and New Zealand. South Sudan is at the bottom, with Chad, Central African Republic and Eritrea just behind.

The United States, despite its immense wealth, military power and cultural influence, ranks 28th — having slipped from 19th in 2011. The index now puts the United States behind significantly poorer countries, including Estonia, Czech Republic, Cyprus and Greece.

“We are no longer the country we like to think we are,” said Porter.

The United States ranks No. 1 in the world in quality of universities, but No. 91 in access to quality basic education. The U.S. leads the world in medical technology, yet we are No. 97 in access to quality health care.

The Social Progress Index finds that Americans have health statistics similar to those of people in Chile, Jordan and Albania, while kids in the United States get an education roughly on par with what children get in Uzbekistan and Mongolia. A majority of countries have lower homicide rates, and most other advanced countries have lower traffic fatality rates and better sanitation and internet access.

The United States has high levels of early marriage — most states still allow child marriage in some circumstances — and lags in sharing political power equally among all citizens. America ranks a shameful No. 100 in discrimination against minorities.

The data for the latest index predates Covid-19, which has had a disproportionate impact on the United States and seems likely to exacerbate the slide in America’s standing. One new study suggests that in the United States, symptoms of depression have risen threefold since the pandemic began — and poor mental health is associated with other risk factors for well-being.

Michael Green, the C.E.O. of the group that puts out the Social Progress Index, notes that the coronavirus will affect health, longevity and education, with the impact particularly large in both the United States and Brazil. The equity and inclusiveness measured by the index seem to help protect societies from the virus, he said.

“Societies that are inclusive, tolerant and better educated are better able to manage the pandemic,” Green said.

The decline of the United States over the last decade in this index — more than any country in the world — is a reminder that we Americans face structural problems that predate President Trump and that festered under leaders of both parties. Trump is a symptom of this larger malaise, and also a cause of its acceleration.

David G. Blanchflower, a Dartmouth economist, has new research showing that the share of Americans reporting in effect that every day is a bad mental health day has doubled over 25 years. “Rising distress and despair are largely American phenomenon not observed in other advanced countries,” Blanchflower told me.

This decline is deeply personal for me: As I’ve written, a quarter of the kids on my old No. 6 school bus in rural Oregon are now dead from drugs, alcohol and suicide — what are called “deaths of despair.” I lost one friend to a heroin overdose this spring and have had more friends incarcerated than I could possibly count; the problems are now self-replicating in the next generation because of the dysfunction in some homes.

You as taxpayers paid huge sums to imprison my old friends; the money would have been far better invested educating them, honing their job skills or treating their addictions.

That’s why this is an election like that of 1932. That was the year American voters decisively rejected Herbert Hoover’s passivity and gave Franklin Roosevelt an electoral mandate — including a flipped Senate — that laid the groundwork for the New Deal and the modern middle class. But first we need to acknowledge the reality that we are on the wrong track.

We Americans like to say “We’re No. 1.” But the new data suggest that we should be chanting, “We’re No. 28! And dropping!”

Let’s wake up, for we are no longer the country we think we are.

nyt/kristoff

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.3tGIaLVXvEx_ZvoiAtO1zAHaHa%26pid%3DApi&f=1

Or...as Aaron Sorkin put it:

0 Replies

hightor

Thu 10 Sep, 2020 04:31 am
@Builder,
Quote:
The one that's been attacking him since before he was elected?

They attack him for his consistent lying; I suggested that he tell the truth.
Quote:
Like a lot of your " patent solutions", they're from the back of a cereal box, right?

Why the hostility? I haven't posted a lot of "patent solutions", nor have I ever seen any political analyses on the "back of a cereal box".
oralloy

Thu 10 Sep, 2020 05:03 am
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:
Not wanting to panic anybody is noble, but that's not what he did.

Sure it is.

neptuneblue wrote:
He outright LIED and now 180,000 are dead. Maybe you should consider that.

Those people were killed by the Democratic Party.
Builder

Thu 10 Sep, 2020 05:21 am
@hightor,
Quote:
They attack him for his consistent lying;

I suggested that he tell the truth.

Suggestions are always great, mate.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Thu 10 Sep, 2020 06:07 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
neptuneblue wrote:
Not wanting to panic anybody is noble, but that's not what he did.
Sure it is.
neptuneblue wrote:
He outright LIED and now 180,000 are dead. Maybe you should consider that.
Those people were killed by the Democratic Party.

Ok Oralloy, your rhetoric is getting old. Just for grins & giggles and arguments sake, let's play your silly game and say Trump was too "preoccupied" in January and February by the Impeachment to handle the Covid crisis effectively.

I might have even given you March, just because I'm a benevolent kind of person. But even that doesn't work because:
https://thehill.com/policy/finance/486817-trump-budget-chief-holds-firm-on-cdc-cuts-amid-virus-outbreak

Along comes April, spring is now in the air. And Trump parties: https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/investigations/2020/04/09/instead-prepping-coronavirus-trump-partied-golfed-held-fundraisers/2941076001/

May? Well, May was good, Trump killed even more legislation. Too bad it was for the healthcare workers. No biggie, right? https://www.npr.org/2020/05/26/862018484/trump-team-killed-rule-designed-to-protect-health-workers-from-pandemic-like-cov?utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=npr

Ah, June, true summer breaks out. More golf: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/27/trump-visits-private-golf-course-us-battles-rapid-surge-coronavirus-cases

July, Independence Day, let's celebrate by not social distancing, wearing masks or even telling people the truth. https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-july-4-celebration-amid-rising-covid-19-cases-2020-7#attendees-who-were-seated-on-the-white-houses-south-lawn-appeared-to-be-grouped-close-together-and-without-masks-though-public-health-experts-have-recommended-keeping-distance-and-wearing-face-coverings-to-prevent-coronavirus-transmission-3

August marks the return to school. Not that Trump has any plan to keep children safe or healthy, just send them to another school if theirs is closed. https://www.chalkbeat.org/2020/8/12/21365758/trump-devos-school-reopening-safety

Now it's September. Trump has lied the entire time, hasn't taken a cohesive step to actually lead, do the right thing, or help the Country heal with a myriad of issues.

He even actually sparred with a reporter to take off a mask: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/09/08/coronavirus-trump-tells-reporter-remove-mask-white-house-event/5744708002/

So, when you say it's the Democrats fault that 190,000+ are dead, you are being notoriously stubborn. Vote for the idiot if you want, you'll stay bunkered down for the rest of your life.
oralloy

Thu 10 Sep, 2020 06:17 am
@neptuneblue,
While Mr. Biden is busy promoting the rape and murder of white people, Mr. Trump is taking steps to put a stop to the pandemic.

https://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2020/08/27/trump-administration-will-deploy-150-million-rapid-tests-in-2020.html
Quote:
Today, as part of an historic initiative led by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and the Department of and Defense (DOD), the Administration awarded a contract for $760 million to Abbott for delivery of 150 million rapid, Abbott BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card Point of Care (POC) SARS-CoV-2 diagnostic tests to expand strategic, evidence-based testing in the United States. Testing will be potentially deployed to schools and to assist with serving other special needs populations.

"The introduction of Abbott's antigen test is another incredibly valuable result of President Trump's all-of-America approach to constructing our world-leading COVID-19 testing capacity," said HHS Secretary Alex Azar. "By strategically distributing 150 million of these tests to where they're needed most, we can track the virus like never before and protect millions of Americans at risk in especially vulnerable situations."

The Abbott BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card recently received emergency use authorization from the Food and Drug Administration, does not require instrumentation, and will deliver COVID-19 test results in 15 minutes or less. The Administration has laid the groundwork for this program with months of collaborative work, paving the regulatory and innovation pathways.

So now we'll be able to quickly track down who does and doesn't carry the virus and get them all isolated.

Good job Mr. President!
oralloy

Thu 10 Sep, 2020 06:18 am
RABEL222 wrote:
You are Moran.

Rabel fell out of the stupid tree and hit every branch on the way down.
hightor

Thu 10 Sep, 2020 06:35 am
@oralloy,
somebody wrote:
While Mr. Biden is busy promoting the rape and murder of white people, Mr. Trump is taking steps to put a stop to the pandemic.

Biden isn't promoting the rape and murder of anyone. And protecting the population of the USA from threats is the president's ******* job. So we're going to give him credit for some step like this and ignore the fact that he did virtually nothing about the pandemic until April? And no, the porous "travel ban" allowed potentially infected people to return to the USA from China without being tested or quarantined, as disembarking travelers from Europe infected the NY metro area.
snood

@oralloy,
Can you provide a quote or citation to support your repeated claim that Biden promotes the rape and murder of white people? I mean that’s a pretty big ugly matzoh ball just hanging out there, with only your word to support it.
neptuneblue

@oralloy,
Yes, you've used that article quite frequently.

The key here is "will deploy."

Exactly WHEN will that be?

hightor

Thu 10 Sep, 2020 06:47 am
@neptuneblue,
Quote:

Right.

And how effectively will testing be implemented? Recently a decision was made not to test people who aren't showing signs of the disease. And before that, Trump himself was attacking the whole testing process because it affected the "numbers".
0 Replies

snood

Thu 10 Sep, 2020 07:17 am
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

Yes, you've used that article quite frequently.

In two weeks, of course. That’s also when he’s going to sign his fantastic healthcare bill and reveal his unbelievably huge plan for infrastructure restoration.

Also when the murderous caravans will begin arriving from south of the border.

Also when he will release his tax returns.

Also when he will do a press conference explaining Melania’s immigration status.

And the wall - the big beautiful wall will be complete. Or started. Or something.

Just two weeks. Be patient.
oralloy

Thu 10 Sep, 2020 07:23 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
Biden isn't promoting the rape and murder of anyone.

Sure he is. He supports BLM goons, and that's what they support.
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 10 Sep, 2020 07:24 am
@snood,
snood wrote:
Can you provide a quote or citation to support your repeated claim that Biden promotes the rape and murder of white people?

Here he is fraternizing with BLM goons:
https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1267216045246382082
McGentrix

Thu 10 Sep, 2020 07:25 am
@snood,
Biden has been in politics for 50 years and has done jack ****. Trump has been in politics for 3 years and has accomplished more of his campaign promises than 90% or politicians.
McGentrix

Thu 10 Sep, 2020 07:27 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

somebody wrote:

Biden isn't promoting the rape and murder of anyone. And protecting the population of the USA from threats is the president's ******* job. So we're going to give him credit for some step like this and ignore the fact that he did virtually nothing about the pandemic until April? And no, the porous "travel ban" allowed potentially infected people to return to the USA from China without being tested or quarantined, as disembarking travelers from Europe infected the NY metro area.

Touching and smelling little girls is NOT the President's job though and we don't need that in office.
McGentrix

Thu 10 Sep, 2020 07:30 am
@oralloy,
It is known.
oralloy

Thu 10 Sep, 2020 07:32 am
@McGentrix,
The name-calling that I engaged in today is a bit beyond my comfort level, but enough is enough. I felt like I had to stand up to him.
hightor

Thu 10 Sep, 2020 08:31 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
Touching and smelling little girls is NOT the President's job though and we don't need that in office.

How puerile. Explain to us all how Biden's avuncular affection for children will affect his work as president.

Watching TV most of the day is NOT the president's job either.
neptuneblue

Thu 10 Sep, 2020 08:41 am
@oralloy,
I've noticed you're abnormally quiet on the release date "Abbott for delivery of 150 million rapid, Abbott BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card Point of Care (POC) SARS-CoV-2 diagnostic tests."

I've noticed you'll bypass an answer and change the subject to Biden, BLM or anything else that captures your attention - BESIDES ANSWERING WHEN these tests will be delivered and implemented.

If you don't have an answer, just say so. You can also admit Trump doesn't know either.