monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 05:20 am
@farmerman,
I've been through the area a few times but don't know it well at all. Pretty scary situation for those affected. I've been keeping watch on it partly because I'm curious about what the engineering types are going to do before the next storm hits.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 05:26 am
From Michael Gerson. This is something worth reading.
Quote:
A White House Where No One Is In Charge

In early January, House Speaker Paul Ryan met on the issue of tax reform with a delegation from the president-elect. Attending were future chief strategist and senior counselor Stephen K. Bannon, future chief of staff Reince Priebus, future senior adviser Jared Kushner, future counselor Kellyanne Conway and future senior policy adviser Stephen Miller. As the meeting began, Ryan pointedly asked, “Who’s in charge?”

Silence.

It is still the right question. Former officials with deep knowledge of the presidency describe Donald Trump’s White House staff as top-heavy, with five or six power centers and little vertical structure. “The desire to be a big shot is overrunning any sense of team,” says one experienced Republican. “This will cause terrible dysfunction, distraction, disloyalty and leaks.”

Trump has run a family business but never a large organization. Nor has he seen such an organization as an employee. “Trump,” says another former official, “is ill-suited to appreciate the importance of a coherent chain of command and decision-making process. On the contrary, his instincts run instead toward multiple mini power centers, which rewards competing aggressively for Trump’s favor.”
WP
blatham

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 05:35 am
There aren't many who demonstrate so clearly the corruption of political office more than Chaffetz. This is a guy who conceives of his duties and responsibilities as "How can I best advance the political power of my party and damage the other party?" For him, this is governance.
Quote:
...Chaffetz, after his unending probes of the Obama administration and Hillary Clinton, hasn’t shown any appetite to examine, say, the Trump administration’s ties to Russia or its many conflicts of interest. But the chairman has shown determination to probe, without fear or favor, the threat to America posed by Sid the Science Kid.

The chairman of the powerful panel — the main investigative committee in the House — sent a letter to the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention demanding to know why, in an attempt to raise awareness of the Zika virus, “CDC appears poised to make a sole source award to the Jim Henson Company for $806,000 to feature Sid the Science Kid in an educational program about the virus.”
WP - more here
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 05:37 am
@blatham,
a management style that aided Hitler in his memorable yrs on earth.
He was "runnr-up" in a small global conflict
hightor

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 05:46 am
Damn Pollyanna...

Quote:
Don’t be fooled by the idiotic exertions of the Red team and the Blue team. They’re just playing a game of “Capture the Flag” on the deck of the Titanic. The ship is the techno-industrial economy. It’s going down because it has taken on too much water (debt), and the bilge pump (the oil industry) is losing its mojo.

Neither faction understands what is happening, though they each have an elaborate delusional narrative to spin in the absence of any credible plan for adapting the life of our nation to the precipitating realities. The Blues and Reds are mirrors of each other’s illusions, and rage follows when illusions die, so watch out. Both factions are ready to blow up the country before they come to terms with what is coming down.

What’s coming down is the fruit of the gross mismanagement of our society since it became clear in the 1970s that we couldn’t keep living the way we do indefinitely — that is, in a 24/7 blue-light-special demolition derby. It’s amazing what you can accomplish with accounting fraud, but in the end it is an affront to reality, and reality has a way of dealing with punks like us. Reality has a magic trick of its own: it can make the mirage of false prosperity evaporate.

That’s exactly what’s going to happen and it will happen because finance is the least grounded, most abstract, of the many systems we depend on. It runs on the sheer faith that parties can trust each other to meet obligations. When that conceit crumbles, and banks can’t trust other banks, credit relations seize up, money vanishes, and stuff stops working. You can’t get any cash out of the ATM. The trucker with a load of avocados won’t make delivery to the supermarket because he knows he won’t be paid. The avocado grower will have to watch the rest of his crop rot. The supermarket shelves empty out. And you won’t have any guacamole.

There are too many fault lines in the mighty edifice of our accounting fraud for the global banking system to keep limping along, to keep pretending it can meet its obligations. These fault lines run through the bond markets, the stock markets, the banks themselves at all levels, the government offices that pretend to regulate spending, the offices that affect to report economic data, the offices that neglect to regulate criminal misconduct, the corporate boards and C-suites, the insurance companies, the pension funds, the guarantors of mortgages, car loans, and college loans, and the ratings agencies. The pervasive accounting fraud bleeds a criminal ethic into formerly legitimate enterprises like medicine and higher education, which become mere rackets, extracting maximum profits while skimping on delivery of the goods.

All this is going to overwhelm Trump soon, and he will flounder trying to deal with a gargantuan mess. It will surely derail his wish to make America great again — a la 1962, with factories humming, and highways yet to build, and adventures in outer space, and a comforting sense of superiority over all the sad old battered empires abroad. I maintain it could get so bad so fast that Trump will be removed by a cadre of generals and intelligence officers who can’t stand to watch someone acting like Captain Queeg in the pilot house.

That itself might be salutary, since only some kind of extreme shock is likely to roust the Blue and Red factions from their trenches of dumb narrative. If the Democratic Party had put one-fiftieth of the effort it squanders on transgender bathroom privileges into policy for mitigating our tragic misinvestments in suburban sprawl, we might have gotten a head-start toward a plausible future. Instead, the Democratic Party has turned into a brats-only nursery school, with the kiddies fighting over who gets to play with the Legos. The Republican Party is Norma Desmond’s house in Sunset Boulevard, starring Donald Trump as Max the Butler, working extra-hard to keep the illusions of yesteryear going.

Kunstler
blatham

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 05:48 am
@farmerman,
Stalin also found grovelling competition for his affections among subordinates a useful tool. I'm not sure what level of catastrophe is going to finally lead Trump's followers to get to the realization that he is a very dangerous guy.
farmerman

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 05:58 am
@blatham,
hes got all the donut eaters giddy as little girls. They seem to have no abilities at distinguishing leadership v narcissistic sociopathy. Perhaps being a bit punctillious is a bugaboo of the ;liberal mind.
blatham

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 06:00 am
@hightor,
Quote:
All this is going to overwhelm Trump soon, and he will flounder trying to deal with a gargantuan mess.

I like a bleak and hopeless assessment of the future as much as the next guy but I think the chap is a bit too certain. The timeline suggested in this quote being an example.
farmerman

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 06:00 am
@hightor,
I used to follow Kuntsler's blog to read about WHAT NOT TO DO in my garden.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 06:03 am
@farmerman,
We liberals = Fake meticulosity!
0 Replies

hightor

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 06:04 am
@blatham,
Quote:
The timeline suggested in this quote being an example.

I know exactly what you mean. I've been watching his moving goalposts for years. But I do enjoy the "pox on progress" perspective.
blatham

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 06:08 am
I do think this assessment is spot on.
Quote:
If there is one silver bullet that could fix American democracy, it’s getting rid of gerrymandering – the now commonplace practice of drawing electoral districts in a distorted way for partisan gain. It’s also one of a dwindling number of issues that principled citizens – Democrat and Republican – should be able to agree on. Indeed, polls confirm that an overwhelming majority of Americans of all stripes oppose gerrymandering.

...While no party is innocent when it comes to gerrymandering, a Washington Post analysis in 2014 found that eight of the ten most gerrymandered districts in the United States were drawn by Republicans.
WP

And that is why I found the announcement from the end of last year that Holder and Obama were going to center on this issue very encouraging. The forces pushing to keep things as they are will be enormous but this is the place to put maximal effort.
blatham

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 06:12 am
@hightor,
Quote:
But I do enjoy the "pox on progress" perspective.

Indeed. I'm sooo pissed at the Old Testament God for making that dumb promise about no more floods. But He can't change His mind now without getting all sorts of flak so He now has to limit Himself to his bag of poxes.
0 Replies

hightor

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 06:15 am
@blatham,
And, on the impeachment front:
Quote:
Among legal scholars, there isn’t much debate: President Trump is violating the Constitution.

Since Trump decided to retain full ownership of his business empire, he has been receiving a stream of payments from foreign governments, which is prohibited by Article 1, Section 9 of the Constitution.

The trickier question is how to hold Trump accountable.

The most straightforward way is impeachment. Virginia Governor Edmund Jennings Randolph, in a debate over the provision, known as the Emoluments Clause, in 1788 put it bluntly: “If discovered he may be impeached.”

Impeachment, however, is an unlikely remedy while Republicans maintain an iron grip on Congress and show little interest in holding Trump accountable for anything.

An obscure legal tactic could be used to hold Trump accountable for illegal acts without involving Congress, Jed Shugerman, a professor at Fordham University Law School, tells ThinkProgress.

The Quo Warranto solution
(In case anyone cares, I'm not a proponent of pushing impeachment at this time.)
blatham

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 06:17 am
It probably wouldn't have mattered if Trump had won or Rubio or Cruz or most of the others. That is to say, it wouldn't have mattered given GOP control of Congress. Because in this situation, a lot of long-time ideological goals can be realized. And those goals have no concern at all for the well-being of 99% of citizens.

Quote:
Republicans to predatory companies: Grab as much as you can

The White House may be in chaos. But at least Congress is addressing the issue Americans care about most: making it easier for the finance industry to rip them off.

Last week, Jeb Hensarling (R-Tex.), chairman of the House Financial Services Committee, circulated an outline of his latest plan to repeal Dodd-Frank. Dodd-Frank, you may recall, was put in place after the financial crisis to reduce our chances of having another one.

The law isn’t perfect, but it did have at least one critical, mostly popular component: It created an agency dedicated solely to helping consumers fight back when financial institutions cheat or mislead them.
WP
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 06:17 am
@blatham,
Yah, but it gooes the opposite and its just as evil hen don by the Sems. Marylqnd is such an example. It has entire districts thatcreate cloud pictures of elephants and miriqui monkeys . the Pa legislature is pretty much lost to anything other than the GOP except for th governorship, which happens every other regime. The GOP hqs its fvorite slush fund recipients (like big oil and col mining) that it never would propose any legislation that is good for the overall population.
The GOP wants to not ovrpopulate the "Albama" districts of Pq with new immigrants and then allow them to vote. This would be disaster .
Voters got fucked many years ago with the 1980 census tract.
blatham

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 06:21 am
@hightor,
I think it likely that grounds for impeachment will grow. Probably also the desire of the GOP establishment to rid themselves of the guy. But I'm with you that it's premature at this point, not to mention functionally impossible.
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 06:22 am
@hightor,
everything involving Quo Warranto hs the possibilities of speeding up a coming Constitutional Crisis with the Blue tates v the Red States v the Feds.

Oy, better stock up on cans of chicken noodle soup
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 06:28 am
@farmerman,
Gotcha. A revealing point in all this relates to the current RW story that what is needed to get things proper again in America is to "shake things up", to drain the swamp, etc.

There really would be no better way I can conceive of to actually make real progress, democratically, than eviscerating the gerry-mandered borders.

But the very last people who would be willing to do this is the GOP for the reasons we all know. Fake draining!
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 14 Feb, 2017 06:30 am
There really are a lot of ugly people in Trump world.
Quote:
Conflict and controversy seem to follow Omarosa Manigault, who stirred up plenty of both as a reality-TV star and a longtime associate of President Trump.

Manigault, who is now a communications official in the Trump administration, got into a heated argument with a White House reporter just steps from the Oval Office last week, according to witnesses. The reporter, April Ryan, said Manigault “physically intimidated” her in a manner that could have warranted intervention by the Secret Service.

Ryan also said Manigault made verbal threats, including the assertion that Ryan was among several journalists on whom Trump officials had collected “dossiers” of negative information.

Manigault, a onetime friend of Ryan’s, declined to address Ryan’s accusations on the record, offering only this emailed statement: “My comment: Fake news!” She did not specify what she considered false.
WP
0 Replies