monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

layman

Sun 12 Feb, 2017 04:39 am
@blatham,
"Troll:" Anybody who don't chow down on the propaganda Blathy spews all over the channel.

Don't get me wrong. I aint even sayin I aint no troll.

Just sayin ya best not take Blathy's spew as a gauge of who is, and who aint, a troll, that's all.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Sun 12 Feb, 2017 04:41 am
http://i.imgur.com/XFVhKOg.jpg
lmur

Sun 12 Feb, 2017 04:43 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Laughing Fake news!
layman

Sun 12 Feb, 2017 04:44 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

I think layman is trolling.

Gent asked me a legitimate question, and I gave him a legitimate answer.

Not the kinda thing you would approve of, I know, but, still....
0 Replies

hightor

Sun 12 Feb, 2017 04:50 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
Obama really was signing executive orders adding large numbers of law-abiding citizens to the list of people barred from having guns.

Not an issue.
Quote:
The language of federal gun laws restricts ownership to people who are unable to manage their own affairs due to “marked subnormal intelligence, or mental illness, incompetency, condition, or disease” – which could potentially affect a large group within Social Security, the LA Times reported.

Well gee, that's awful.
Quote:
The guy just flat-out hates the Constitution and civil rights.
Voting rights and reproductive rights are under a greater threat.
layman

@McGentrix,
By the way, Gent, did you see my answer?

See what I'm gettin at?

Do you disagree?
0 Replies

blatham

@lmur,
That was funny, Imur.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sun 12 Feb, 2017 04:53 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Quote:
"I am so proud of my daughter Ivanka. To be abused and treated so badly by the media, and to still hold her head so high, is truly wonderful!" Trump tweeted.
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/trump-media-abused-ivanka-234933
Strategy or mental imbalance? I'm actually not sure.

Neither. He's proud that his daughter is dignified in the face of the hate that thugs like you spout at her.

Interesting that Politico also has a current article about Obama Administration blubbering over their executive orders getting abolished. Always nice to see the bad guys suffering.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sun 12 Feb, 2017 04:54 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
I think layman is trolling. I think you have a rather better heart. That's why I have him on ignore and not you.

Now that's a load of BS. I'm not saying McGentrix doesn't have a kind heart. I'm sure he does. But your characterization of YOUR motives is completely untrue.

You routinely embrace the most malign of hearts when it suits you, and the main reason why you put people on ignore is because they post facts that are inconvenient to your demented ideology.

And while I'm at it, the notion that "posting things you don't agree with is trolling" is equally as ludicrous.
0 Replies

layman

Sun 12 Feb, 2017 04:59 am
So, there ya are, just some ordinary high school kid, taking a shower with the rest of the guys after P.E. class, when in comes this thing.

Yesterday, you knew it as "Judy," but today he/she is "Butch."

The school administrators, on orders from Obama, are telling you that you must accept the "fact" that she is what you can clearly see she aint.

Who's "mental health" is being adversely affected here, I ask ya? They're acting like you're the crazy one if you don't believe the emperor has beautiful clothes on, eh?

blatham

Sun 12 Feb, 2017 05:10 am
At the state level where the GOP has pretty much unfettered power:
Quote:
When Republicans in Kentucky seized total control of the state government last year, Damon Thayer, the majority leader in the State Senate, began asking around for advice from counterparts in other capitals where the party already dominated both the legislative and executive branches.

How should we handle all this power? he wanted to know.

One answer impressed him, Mr. Thayer said, from a senior Republican lawmaker in Wisconsin: “Move quickly.”

Kentucky Republicans have done just that, swiftly passing laws to roll back the powers of labor unions and restrict access to abortion. But they are only getting started, Mr. Thayer said in an interview: They also plan to make sweeping changes to the education and public pension systems this year.

And they have plenty of company.
NYT
Politics at the state level is pretty discouraging for Dems. The right has been much better organized and funded (and you all really should read Mayer's Dark Money or Hacker and Pierson's Winner Take All Politics to grasp the dimensions of the problem here). The Koch brothers and their vast array of cooperating entities were going to put a billion into the federal election but because Trump was the candidate, they didn't. But they shifted much of that to ongoing projects across the states where they already have had a very strong presence for decades.

Getting rid of unions is a long time goal of the GOP because that party represents business interests primarily and unions have always been an institution that limits what corporations and smaller money-grubbing business people can do. And because unions have traditionally been an organizing and funding base for Dems. Those are the same reasons why Planned Parenthood is being targeted. Defunding and disempowering the left is what most of this is all about and the goal is (if they were to speak honestly) one party rule through restructuring institutions, changing laws, voter suppression tactics, etc. That is the game.
layman

Sun 12 Feb, 2017 05:13 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
Defunding and disempowering the left is what most of this is all about and the goal is (if they were to speak honestly) one party rule through restructuring institutions, changing laws, voter suppression tactics, etc. That is the game.

Exactly. You just now figurin that out?
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 12 Feb, 2017 05:21 am
Ross Douthat has a column up this morning with the following headline:
Quote:
Can This Presidency Be Saved?

A ways down into the piece, he writes:
Quote:
right now his presidency is in danger of being very swiftly Carterized
NYT
Again, what's so incredibly unusual and remarkable here is that he is only three weeks in! Three weeks and he's Jimmy Carter?
0 Replies

oralloy

Sun 12 Feb, 2017 05:27 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Obama really was signing executive orders adding large numbers of law-abiding citizens to the list of people barred from having guns.

Not an issue.

The widespread violations of our Constitutional rights is very much an issue.

That Democrats think that grave civil rights violations are not an issue, however, is exactly why it was so important for the nation to vote the Democrats out of office before Hillary could enact her diabolical plot to overthrow our freedom.

If Hillary had won, right now we'd be well on our way to abolishing the Second Amendment.

hightor wrote:
Quote:
The language of federal gun laws restricts ownership to people who are unable to manage their own affairs due to “marked subnormal intelligence, or mental illness, incompetency, condition, or disease” – which could potentially affect a large group within Social Security, the LA Times reported.

Well gee, that's awful.

It may well be. Even the language of that law might be way too broad to comply with the Second Amendment. And the disturbingly flip way you dismiss the potential violations of people's rights shows just how important it is to vote the Democrats out of office.

However, the text of that law is not the immediate issue here. Obama's executive orders go way beyond the language of that law. Obama banned guns from all disabled people who do not manage their own finances for any reason whatsoever.

And the next executive orders would have gone even farther. Banning guns from people who wear glasses for instance.

Thankfully we got the Democrats out of power just in time. And now we voters need to keep them out of power.

hightor wrote:
Voting rights and reproductive rights are under a greater threat.

Obama was enacting executive orders that would have begun the widespread violation of the Second Amendment.

The fact that Democrats think it is OK when they violate the Constitution does not serve to lesson the magnitude of their violations.
layman

Sun 12 Feb, 2017 05:27 am
https://static01.nyt.com/images/2017/02/12/opinion/sunday/12Douthat/12Douthat-master675.jpg

Bannon absolutely refuses to play the "suit" role. For cheese-eaters, I'm sure that alone proves to them that he is crazy. Conformity is their most treasured mandate.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 12 Feb, 2017 05:33 am
There's a must-read editorial at the Times today.
Quote:
Given the increased political power Republicans won in the last elections, from Washington to red-state legislatures, voters might expect the party to feel that the nation’s voting procedures are working quite well. Yet this is far from the case, as triumphant Republicans are using their enhanced clout to continue their campaign playing up the mythical threat that voter fraud abounds in the nation.

The newest and loudest zealot in this cause is, of course, President Trump, with his scurrilous claim that millions of illegal ballots cost him a popular vote majority. His baseless claim only encourages the renewed efforts at voter suppression reported to be underway in a score of Republican-dominated statehouses intent on making it harder for citizens to register or vote.

Mr. Trump is trying to sell the false idea that he was fraudulently denied a clear mandate. Republican state legislators, in turn, are no more convincing but just as cynical in insisting that elaborate new ballot protections are needed — protections that effectively target poor people, minorities and students, who tend to favor Democratic candidates.

These include proposals requiring voters to produce new or tighter voter identification documentation and photos at the polls. Other measures would eliminate the convenience of Election Day registration, which invites more turnout. Some measures make it more difficult for college students to claim residency to vote near their colleges; others shorten early voting periods that encourage greater participation.
NYT
Consumers of right wing media, many or most of them, now believe voter fraud is a real thing because they've been told it is for a long while. And being as isolated in that media universe as they now are, the facts seldom penetrate. I suspect that quite a few GOP politicos, particularly at the state level, also believe there is significant voter fraud because they too are immersed in the same media universe. But at higher levels, many understand quite well that this is just a propaganda push which is working well for them in carving off significant numbers of probable Dem voters to have very real electoral consequences in this highly polarized environment.

But of course, this whole project is deeply anti-democratic. Which should not surprise you, if it does, because these folks and the modern ideology they hold considers democracy as a bug in the American (or probably any) political system.
blatham

Sun 12 Feb, 2017 05:40 am
Good piece on Stephen Miller if you'd like to get to know him better:
Quote:
But Mr. Miller’s peacock confidence has served him well with Mr. Trump, who first got to know him in 2015, when Mr. Miller helped bring Mr. Sessions, now the attorney general, into the Trump fold.
NYT
0 Replies

layman

Sun 12 Feb, 2017 05:43 am
@blatham,
Quote:
There's a must-read editorial at the Times today.

You couldn't have picked a better example to prove the claim that, for you, every piece of filthy, lying, left-wing crap is a "must-read" item.
blatham

Sun 12 Feb, 2017 06:00 am
I love this man
Quote:
The solar panels — 3,852 of them — shimmered above 10 acres of Jimmy Carter’s soil where peanuts and soybeans used to grow. The panels moved almost imperceptibly with the sun. And they could power more than half of this small town, from which Mr. Carter rose from obscurity to the presidency.

Nearly 38 years after Mr. Carter installed solar panels at the White House, only to see them removed during Ronald Reagan’s administration, the former president is leasing part of his family’s farmland for a project that is both cutting edge and homespun. It is, Mr. Carter and energy experts said, a small-scale effort that could hold lessons for other pockets of pastoral America in an age of climate change and political rancor.
NYT
Reagan of course was ill so we couldn't expect him to be an active voice for betterment of human conditions after his presidency. I don't recall Gerald Ford doing much but I might be forgetting stuff. Bush Sr did (and may still) put his shoulder to the wheel often to help out where he could (as with the Pacific tsunami). Clinton too had done much and still is. Bush Jr not so much, yet at least (I suspect he felt pretty beat up after his eight years most of which he was walked over by Cheney, Addington, and Rumsfeld and the bad war and plummeted popularity).

But Carter just has never quit trying to help both in the US and around the world. Here in our little town in BC, my brother and I have both committed to helping with a Carter-based program to help families with housing.

He was America's first evangelical President. But no one of the sort who believes Jesus wants them to have fat bank accounts and a holstered weapon, or to cheer at environmental policies that kill off thousands of biological species, or to draw clear lines between who is and who is not God's children, or to carry megaphones to scream at women who have cause to get an abortion.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sun 12 Feb, 2017 06:04 am
@layman,
layman wrote:
You couldn't have picked a better example to prove the claim that, for you, every piece of filthy, lying, left-wing crap is a "must-read" item.

That's the thing with Blatham. He doesn't think for himself. Ever.

What he does is point at other liberals that he deems to be smart, and say "I think what they think! Look everybody! I think what they think!"

If you ever have the misfortune of posting something that would require Blatham to think for himself, he will viciously attack you in order to distract from his inability to do so.