monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

livinglava

Sat 30 May, 2020 06:09 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

I watched the trial & verdict on tv. Brelo stipulated to everything. The Judge rendered a Not Guilty verdict because although Timothy Russell was shot 23 times and Malissa Williams shot 24 times and Brelo shot 15 times directly into the windshield, there was no conclusive evidence which gun shot was the actual fatal one that killed them.

So he walked.

Why were the officers so on edge that they all had their guns drawn? Do you know what happened prior to them drawing their guns?
neptuneblue

Sat 30 May, 2020 06:15 pm
@livinglava,
Over zealousness and dereliction of duty.

You can look up all relevant data yourself: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Timothy_Russell_and_Malissa_Williams

livinglava

Sat 30 May, 2020 06:29 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

Over zealousness and dereliction of duty.

You can look up all relevant data yourself: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Timothy_Russell_and_Malissa_Williams

I was just asking you since you said you watched the trial.

I don't really enjoy discussing these things because I know this is a terrible world and I don't assume that there are no bad cops or that everyone who seems like an innocent victim necessarily is one. Still, I don't like speculating about people being criminals after they're dead, either; and even if they were criminals, that doesn't mean they deserved to die; but when guns are drawn and everyone is on edge, one startling sound can cause a trigger to pull and the moment gunshots ring out, everyone with a gun pulled is going to start firing to protect themselves. Obviously I don't know what happened, whether this was just some kind of organized crime execution or whatever, but when this madness happens it's just sad and you can't assume anything because if you do, you could be unwittingly taking sides with the liars; like when a bully provokes an innocent person into standing up for themselves so they can have an excuse to react with excessive violence and blame the other person for starting it and lie about their own role in provoking the conflict to begin with.
bobsal u1553115

Sat 30 May, 2020 06:42 pm
@livinglava,
Presumption of innocence kinda require a presumption of innocence, doesn't it???? I don't think being shot twenty time each out of a 160 rounds fire indicates much presumption of innocence, do you, especially in light of how many cops went to trial and more were fired after.

What's your problem???
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 30 May, 2020 06:50 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:
Timothy Russell and Malissa Williams were not on drugs, did not have drugs, weapons or any outstanding warrants.
Tell me why it's justified for a cop to stand on top of a hood of their vehicle, shoot 15 rounds through a windshield and be not convicted of anything?

I am not familiar with the case, but if he honestly believed that they were a threat, he would be justified in responding.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Sat 30 May, 2020 06:57 pm
@livinglava,
Until it hits home for you, you cannot fully understand exactly how it is.

I experienced a minor fender bender a little over two years ago. I was in Downtown Akron going past Akron U and a double right turn resulted in my entire passenger side being scraped. The young, African American driver swung wide and couldn't correct his vehicle away from mine.

We both pulled over. He immediately admitted fault, said he had insurance and asked me not to call the cops. I felt bad but insurance requires a police report for damage claims so yeah, I called the cops.

This kid was terrified. I mean shaking, almost in tears, very apologetic, well mannered. He was a college kid with practically no experience behind the wheel and he just didn't know what to do.

When the cop came, he asked us to get in the back, took both of our licenses and insurance cards. This kid of 19 was now shaking so badly he was shaking the entire back seat. He was so upset. I tried to assure him accidents happen and he's got insurance and everything will be ok.

That's when this kid, a 19 year old African American boy looked at me and whispered, don't let him kill me.

It was then, I finally understood.

The cop explained this could go one of two ways, write a ticket on the kid and his insurance picks up the tab to fix my car or not write a ticket and each of our insurance companies pays for it's own vehicle.

I choose to not have a ticket written. It only took a few minutes after that and the cop let us go. This kid was so shaken up he didn't know what to do. I asked him to call one of his parents and I talked to his dad. I volunteered to meet the dad half way so the kid didn't have to drive alone.

When we got to the meeting spot this kid completely melted down once he saw his dad. His dad put him in the car and thanked me for what I did.

I was only home 10 minutes before his insurance company called to set arrangements to fix my car.

I never saw or spoke to them again.

But now I know what it means to drive while black.

*true story

bobsal u1553115

Sat 30 May, 2020 09:58 pm
Kind words from folks in Canada....
Just found this tweet, kinda broke my heart and soothed it at the same time....

To the United States of America. I know you are going through a lot right now. Thinking other Countries are watching you and laughing. Right now, we are not. Right now we are worried, sad, and scared for you. Right now, we are thinking, how can such a great country be going 1/

through this. Your Government failed you, Politics failed you, money failed you but we will not fail you! We will stand with you and support you and carry you as far as you need. We are your friends we are your cousins, we are here for you. Your voice is our voice your fear is 2/

·

our fear. Canada and the US have been beside each other for everything. This is no different You are fighting a war, a war within your own country, in your home land We have seen other countries around the world do the same. We were there for them, and now we are here for you. 3/

I know people are feeling hopeless, that the cloud of doom surrounds them. But, I am here to say, you are not alone in this fight. This will get better because Americans are strong, and Americans are brave! Americans are not alone. We stand with you.

https://twitter.com/CanadianReports/status/1266555513715605504
coldjoint

Sat 30 May, 2020 10:17 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
Just found this tweet, kinda broke my heart and soothed it at the same time....

I don't believe you.
glitterbag

Sat 30 May, 2020 10:26 pm
@coldjoint,
Go take a poo poo in your Stetson....something is terribly wrong with you.
coldjoint

Sat 30 May, 2020 10:28 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Go take a poo poo in your Stetson

Don't wear hats. Nothing wrong with me, I don't believe him.
glitterbag

Sat 30 May, 2020 10:31 pm
@coldjoint,
OK, so you and the horse you rode in on.........What makes you think anybody cares what you think???
coldjoint

Sat 30 May, 2020 10:36 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
.What makes you think anybody cares what you think???

How many times have you asked me that? It does not work. Earth to GB.
MontereyJack

Sun 31 May, 2020 02:04 am
@coldjoint,
Other than the usual right wing lunatic fringe, how many positive responses do you think you've gotten?
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Sun 31 May, 2020 06:44 am
Dani Garavelli: Cheerleader for race riots Donald Trump creates perfect smokescreen

To watch the footage of George Floyd dying at the hands of a white US police officer is to shudder at man’s capacity for brutality. For Derek Chauvin to have kept his knee on the man’s neck even after he had passed out, even as bystanders begged him to check his pulse, is an act of depravity.

By Dani Garavelli
Sunday, 31st May 2020, 7:58 am

Sadly, neither the barbarity, nor the racism that fuelled it, is new. Floyd is the latest in a long succession of African Americans to die at the hands of police officers. Some of their names are well-known: Michael Brown; Tyrone West, Tamir Rice, Freddie Gray; many more have faded into obscurity. But the toll keeps mounting. As Chauvin was squeezing the breath from Floyd in Minneapolis, protesters were demanding justice over the killing of Breonna Taylor, shot dead by police in her house in Louisville in March.

Nor are the riots that have swept the US entirely unexpected. It is common for police killings to light a touchpaper in cities with pre-existing racial tensions. As in Los Angeles after the attack on Rodney King, Baltimore after the killings of West and Gray, so too in Minneapolis, where the police precinct was set alight and, Louisville, where demonstrators were shot. The trouble follows a familiar pattern: peaceful demonstrations turn violent, and – once the city is in turmoil – opportunists start looting.

What is unprecedented is that the president should do so much to create the context for the killing and then seek to inflame the violence. When, 72 hours after Floyd’s death, Donald Trump called the protestors “thugs” and told Minnesota governor Tim Walz the military were with him all the way; when he tweeted, “when the looting begins, the shooting begins” – a phrase first used by Miami’s police chief Walter Headley during civil rights unrest in 1967 – he was playing to his volatile alt-right followers, in exactly the same way as when he defended the armed anti-lockdown supporters in the Michigan Capitol earlier in the month.

From the moment Trump announced his candidacy, he has been courting the white supremacist vote. He may have disowned David Duke, but if your slogan is Make America Great Again and you talk about walls and deporting Muslims, then you shouldn’t be surprised by a KKK endorsement. And if your response to the killing of a protester at a Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville is to suggest “there are fine folks on both sides” you legitimise that rally and justify the KKK’s faith in you.

Furthermore if you tell law enforcement officers not to be “too nice” to suspects, adding that it’s ok to allow them to bang their heads, then you share the responsibility when black suspects die as a result of excessive force.

More:
https://www.scotsman.com/health/dani-garavelli-cheerleader-race-riots-donald-trump-creates-perfect-smokescreen-2869754
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Sun 31 May, 2020 08:19 am

May 29, 2020
[b]Newly Released Transcripts Show Michael Flynn Betrayed the United States
His lying is the least of it.
[/b]

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2020/05/newly-released-transcripts-show-michael-flynn-betrayed-the-united-states/

David Corn
Washington, DC, Bureau ChiefBio | Follow

Michael Flynn did something far worse than lie to the FBI. He betrayed the United States. That’s the major revelation of the just-released transcripts of the conversations he had during the presidential transition with Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak.

Trump and his crew tried to undo reality and whip up a baseless conspiracy theory that Trump has dubbed the “Obamagate” scandal, with a supposedly victimized Flynn in a starring role.

Up until now, the Flynn scandal has generally centered on his criminal case, in which Flynn, Donald Trump’s first national security adviser, was charged with—and pleaded guilty to—lying to FBI about his calls with Kislyak. Flynn told bureau agents that he had not discussed the sanctions imposed on Russia by the Obama administration in response to Vladimir Putin’s attack on the 2016 election. Well, he had. And Flynn had even encouraged the Russians to not retaliate severely, suggesting that when Trump took office things between Moscow and Washington could be smoothed over. The FBI knew this because US intelligence had intercepted those calls, presumably part of routine surveillance of the Russian official. Flynn took a deal, and he pleaded guilty to lying to avoid being charged for an unrelated crime (failing to register as a foreign agent for Turkey).

Case closed.

But then Trump and his crew tried to undo reality and whip up a baseless conspiracy theory that Trump has dubbed the “Obamagate” scandal, with a supposedly victimized Flynn in a starring role. They claimed Flynn was unfairly targeted by vengeful Deep Staters who “unmasked” him (by requesting his name, which was redacted in intercepts of his conversations with Kislyak, be revealed to US officials with authority to obtain this information) and who then somehow cooked up the charge that Flynn lied to the FBI. Both halves of this bogus controversy are not supported by facts. Unmasking is a routine action that happens thousands of times a year within the US government. There is no evidence that Obama administration officials were spying on Flynn. (Unmasking is not spying; when an official asks for an identity to be unmasked, he or she doesn’t know who that person is.) But the bottom line, as already noted, is that Flynn had indeed lied.

But here is where the president and his minions screwed up. To promote the Obamagate double-distraction—this phony scandal is meant to draw attention from Trump’s inept response to the coronavirus pandemic and from Russia’s attack on the 2016 election, which was mounted to help Trump—Trump and Co. called for the release of highly classified intelligence documents that would supposedly confirm Flynn was unmasked as part of an anti-Trump plot waged by outgoing Obama officials. On cue, then-acting Director of National Intelligence and ardent Trump partisan Richard Grenell released documents related to the unmasking. They showed no conspiracy against Flynn. That release, though, opened the door to a much more profound disclosure.

“Let’s keep this at a level that uh is, even-keeled, okay? Is even-keeled. And then what we can do is, when we come in, we can then have a better conversation about where, where were gonna go, uh, regarding our relationship.”

The next step was to make public the transcripts of Flynn’s conversations with Kislyak, which occurred in December 2016 and January 2017. Friday night, newly confirmed Director of National Intelligence John Ratcliffe released these documents—and they certainly reaffirm that Flynn lied to the FBI. In these calls, Flynn beseeched Russia not to over-react to Obama’s sanctions, noting that would make it tougher for the incoming Trump administration to work with Russia. For instance, on one call, Flynn says, “Let’s keep this at a level that uh is, even-keeled, okay? Is even-keeled. And then what we can do is, when we come in, we can then have a better conversation about where, where were gonna go, uh, regarding our relationship.”

But what is most scandalous and damning in these transcripts is what Flynn did not say.

At no point does Flynn castigate Kislyak for Russia’s intervention in the 2016 election. He does not confront the Russian ambassador for Putin’s covert operation to subvert American democracy. He does not tell Kislyak that Moscow will have to pay a price for hacking the Democrats and using the stolen information to influence the election for Trump’s benefit. Flynn, a former head of the Defense Intelligence Agency, does not warn Kislyak against any further Russian information warfare targeting the United States. As the Obama administration was trying to impose a punishment on Putin for that attack, Flynn, on behalf of the Trump gang, was sending an utterly different message: We don’t care about that.

Think about this perverse set of interactions: the incoming national security adviser was essentially telling a foreign adversary that the new president wasn’t concerned about an attack on the United States and, moreover, indicating that Trump didn’t intend to do anything about it. In fact, Flynn was signaling to Putin that once Trump took office, Trump wouldn’t be pursuing the matter and, instead, would be reaching out to Russia as a partner. (A few months later, Trump, in the Oval Office, would tell Kislyak that directly.)

There’s been a lot of screaming within TrumpWorld about Flynn being persecuted. Attorney General Bill Barr recently had the Justice Department drop the Flynn case after Flynn pleaded guilty. And Trump, who fired Flynn for having lied to Vice President Mike Pence about his conversations with Kislyak, has tried to transform Flynn into an Obamagate martyr. All this sound and fury is a deflection. Flynn is guilty as charged. But his true crime is against American democracy, and it reflects the original sin of the Trump presidency. The 2016 election was attacked by an overseas power. And throughout the campaign, Trump and his top advisers aided and abetted that attack by echoing Putin’s false denials. They said there was no attack under way and provided the Kremlin cover. And as soon as the election was over, Trump continued to discount the Russian intervention or deny it ever happened.

All this sound and fury is a deflection. Flynn is guilty as charged. But his true crime is against American democracy.

Trump and his henchmen let Putin get away with it. That’s what Flynn was doing during his conversations with Kislyak. He was dealing with the Russians as if there had been no attack. He was abandoning his obligation to defend the United States from foreign assault—as Trump has done. No doubt, Trump and his amen chorus will continue to argue about the details of Flynn’s legal case and insist, without evidence, that he was framed by an evil Obama cabal. But in a way, that’s a sideshow. Flynn’s fundamental transgression is much larger and deeper than his lies to the FBI gumshoes. The transcripts, released due to Trump’s bogus Obamagate chase, show a darker reality: Flynn double-crossed American democracy.
coldjoint

Sun 31 May, 2020 10:31 am
@bobsal u1553115,
My turn. Motherjones? Laughing Laughing Laughing What does the dailykoz have to say about this?
bobsal u1553115

Sun 31 May, 2020 10:36 am
@coldjoint,
Mother Jones vs Epoch Times?

Mother Jones is a highly respected source of investigative journalism. Epoch Times is a notorious purveyor of wooooo and misinformation as a mouth piece of Falun Gong.

Awards that Mother Jones has been awarded:

Awards and Accolades

Mother Jones recently won the prestigious 2017 National Magazine Award for Magazine of the Year. It has also been nominated for the National Magazine Award for General Excellence nine times in the magazine’s history, winning three times. MoJo continues to win awards for its reporting, illustration, and photography.

SPJ Northern California Excellence in Journalism Award (Investigative Reporting), Winner
“Undercover With a Border Militia”
Shane Bauer

ASME National Magazine Award (Social Media), Finalist
Mother Jones

Education Writers Association, Finalist
“Heavens to Betsy”
Kristina Rizga

John Bartlow Martin Award, Finalist
“Rigged”
Ari Berman

National Headline Awards, Finalist
“My Daughter Was Murdered in a Mass Shooting. Then I Was Ordered to Pay Her Killer’s Gun Dealer.”
Sandy Phillips With Abigail Pesta

American Illustration
“Heavens to Betsy” illustration
Tim O’Brien

South Asian Journalists Association Awards, Winner
“Inside the Growing Guest Worker Program Trapping Indian Students in Virtual Servitude”
Nikhil Swaminathan

News and Documentary Emmy Awards (Outstanding New Approaches: Current News), Nominee
“My Four Months as a Private Prison Guard”
Kevin Sullivan, Michael Schiller, James West, Cheryl Devall, Dave Gilson, Ike Sriskandarajah, Ivylise Simones, Jim Briggs, Shane Bauer, Al Letson

SEAL Environmental Journalism Awards, Winner
Rebecca Leber

Society of Publication Designers (Feature Video: News/Documentary)
James West and Ivylise Simones

Maggie Awards (Overall Magazine Category), Winner
Mother Jones

National Magazine Award (Magazine of the Year), Winner
Mother Jones

National Magazine Award (Best Reporting), Winner
Shane Bauer

National Magazine Award (General Excellence), Finalist
Mother Jones

American Psychoanalytic Award for Excellence in Journalism
“Inside the Race to Stop the Next Mass Shooter” and related coverage
Mark Follman

John Jay/Harry Frank Guggenheim Excellence in Criminal Justice Reporting Award
Shane Bauer

Goldsmith Prize for Investigative Reporting, Winner
Shane Bauer

GLAAD Media Award, Finalist
“The Methodist Church May Split Over LGBT Issues. Meet the Lesbian Bishop Caught in the Middle.”
Becca Andrews

Anthony Shadid Award for Journalism Ethics, Finalist
Shane Bauer

Ancil Payne Award for Ethics in Journalism, Finalist
Shane Bauer

American Small Business League Journalistic Excellence Award
“Giant Corporations Are Reaping Billions From Federal ‘Small Business’ Contracts”
Josh Harkinson

2017 Izzy Award,Winner
Shane Bauer

National Magazine Award (Best Reporting), Finalist
“The Fever”
David Ferry

SPJ NorCal Excellence in Journalism Award (Journalist of the Year)
Shane Bauer

James Madison Freedom of Information Award
Mother Jones

National Press Club Arthur Rowse Award for Press Criticism
“How the Media Inspires Mass Shooters”
Mark Follman

National Association of Black Journalists Salute to Excellence Award
“Black Deaths Matter”
Edwin Rios, Kai Wright, Justin Maxon

Folio Ozzie Award (Best Redesign)
Mother Jones

Association of Food Journalists (Best Food Column), Finalist
Tom Philpott

Association of Food Journalists (Best Writing on Beer, Wine, or Spirits)
“Heart of Agave”
Ted Genoways

The Media Consortium’s Impact Award
“The True Cost of Gun Violence in America”
Mark Follman, Julia Lurie, Jaeah Lee, and James West
coldjoint

Sun 31 May, 2020 10:48 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
Mother Jones is a highly respected source of investigative journalism.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Quote:
Liberal Rag ‘Mother Jones’: More Despotism Please

https://clashdaily.com/2014/02/liberal-rag-mother-jones-despotism-please/
0 Replies

revelette1

Sun 31 May, 2020 10:50 am
@coldjoint,
Mother Jones backed up by a real link to the original transcript.

UNCLASSIFIED
DIRECTOR OF NATIONAL INTELLIGENCE

Provided by Mother Jones. You got smiley faces signifying nothing.

revelette1

Sun 31 May, 2020 10:57 am
@neptuneblue,
Wow. terribly moving.
0 Replies