monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 08:35 am
@revelette3,
Quote:
It just blows me away. It blows me more away that not much is made of Trump doing it.
I think the problem is that Trump does so many horrid things every day (and has been since before he began running) that every new horror no long stands out. As Bannon said, "Flood the zone with ****".
bobsal u1553115

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 08:38 am
A study in contrasts.

https://www.archives.gov/exhibits/picturing_the_century/images/century_088_v137.jpg

LBJ over 40,000 dead in Viet Nam

https://marypatriotnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/mp_534289_0_0jpg.jpg

Donnie Two Scoops announcing a possible 200,000 dead in the US as some sort of victory.

When Johnson realized he'd been mistaken in his policy, he announced he would not run again. Trump just tries to rewrite what happened and suggests he just might run for a third term.

revelette3

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 08:45 am
@blatham,
Depressingly true. Plus we all know the uselessness of getting worked up over all of Trump's objectionable and truly awful behavior. It is beyond me to know if Trump broke any law with his tweets, but it is just so irresponsible to encourage people while people are still sick and dying by horrible numbers to defy those who are trying to actually control the virus. He is supposed to keep us safe, not encourage our deaths.
bobsal u1553115

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 08:49 am
President Donald Trump used Sunday's White House briefing to repeat some of his favorite false claims about the coronavirus crisis and to make some new ones.

Trump falsely claimed, again, that he "inherited" a defective coronavirus test; the faulty test was developed this year. He falsely claimed, again, that "nobody ever thought" there would be a crisis like this; there were years of warnings. And he falsely claimed, again, that his travel restrictions on China and Europe, for which he exempted large groups of travelers, amounted to a complete "ban."

Trump also claimed that all of the people protesting against pandemic restrictions have stood six feet apart from each other. Some have not. And he claimed that a critical component of coronavirus tests, the reagent, is "so easy to get," though governors from both parties and public health officials in multiple states say it is not.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/19/politics/trump-briefing-fact-check-april-19/index.html
0 Replies

livinglava

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 08:52 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

When Johnson realized he'd been mistaken in his policy, he announced he would not run again. Trump just tries to rewrite what happened and suggests he just might run for a third term.

Was there a concerted effort to get Johnson out of the White House the way there is with Trump?

When people are actively targeting you for removal from a position because your position there obstructs them from manipulating the global economy, do you really think it's a good idea to give them their way?

Oh wait, you will answer yes to that because you want the US to be malleable to global economic manipulations.
blatham

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 08:55 am
@revelette3,
I know rev. But he is a sociopath. We aren't used to nor prepared for such an individual to be in the WH. Once we confront that, things make more "sense". And it helps us prepare for how much ugliness he is likely to create ahead.
bobsal u1553115

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 08:56 am
@livinglava,
Well, yes, there was. The Mobilization to End the War, "Hey, Hey LBJ, how many kids did you kill today"? The protests at the White house ....

I guess you needed to be there, I was.

Quote:
Oh wait, you will answer yes to that because you want the US to be malleable to global economic manipulations.

Again with the insults. I'll be ignoring you again.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 09:13 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Well, yes, there was. The Mobilization to End the War, "Hey, Hey LBJ, how many kids did you kill today"? The protests at the White house ....

I guess you needed to be there, I was.
Those were the days, full of lively demonstrations, here, too.
blatham

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 09:23 am
@Walter Hinteler,
For some inexplicable reason, my memories of those days feature girls a lot.
bobsal u1553115

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 09:37 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
Those were the days, full of lively demonstrations, here, too.

It seemed like we could make changes, some we did make, some we didn't. I felt so close to so many many people back then. I felt part of an international movement that was so incredibly in tune.

We did end the war.

I still listen to the music, too. I was listening to Can and Amon Düül II this weekend. Eclectic mix - included Sun Ra, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Soft Machine, Miles Davis, Caravan, Henry Cow ...
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 09:38 am
@blatham,
And that, too. Movement women were strong and interesting.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 09:40 am
@blatham,
Threat of expulsion from school (because I knew (and passed on) the text of the draft resolution for the emergency laws ("Notstandsgesetze") even long before they were published), first contact with a police water cannon ... oh, yes, and girls, girls, girls (mainly by listened to the Beach Boys, of course!)
blatham

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 09:58 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Clearly the three of us (and more) share similar histories. Of course, I authored the Port Huron Statement. The original version not the watered down second draft.
Walter Hinteler

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 10:06 am
@blatham,
It was quite funny - in the retrospective: there were some discussions about the possibility of the Emergency Acts in the media, and we discussed it during lessons at school. I wanted to know what it really was about, wrote to a federal permanent secretary (distant family acquaintance), got the draw written by him ....
The water canon thing was stupid: was on my way to England by train, knew from the years before that the train stopped nearly an hour in Cologne main station, went out to watch the demonstration ... wrong place, wrong time.
But the girl in England later wasn't related to the Beach Boys!
blatham

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 10:10 am
Perhaps from here on out, we can all respond to posts by the you-know-whos with any or all of the following:

Bang!
Pop!
Pfft (silencer)
tinggggggg (richochet)

We will refer to these as first amendment remedies.
snood

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 10:14 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Perhaps from here on out, we can all respond to posts by the you-know-whos with any or all of the following:

Bang!
Pop!
Pfft (silencer)
tinggggggg (richochet)

We will refer to these as first amendment remedies.

Ooh... I like it!
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 10:18 am
@Walter Hinteler,
It helped that we knew we weren't named on Death's list of those to be harvested.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 10:25 am
@blatham,
I used to post the Port Huron Statement yearly here and on another site, it still stands up well. Emmett Grogan was there with some of the west coast Diggers and it was the only time I thought he was a distraction and no help at all. He ended walking out and he should have done it sooner.

We need the Weathermen now more than ever. It sure feels like Trump is siccing the armed mouth breathers on us.
bobsal u1553115

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 10:28 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I remember Bader Meinhoff, too. At least in the beginning I could understand their motives as I was uncomfortable with their methods.
0 Replies

hightor

Mon 20 Apr, 2020 10:32 am
@blatham,
The bomb-throwers I associated with authored the alternative "Port Authority Statement"!