monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

bobsal u1553115

Fri 17 Apr, 2020 01:06 pm
@blatham,
I've stopped answer any of their insults, I don't insult them. I will respond to their misinformation.

I agree with you. The personal insults have got to stop.

There's a bunch here who think free speech is unfettered speech. Free speech is speech without prior restraint.

That said, there is no guarantee to unfettered speech here and I have NO problem with that. I am surprised by what does get by here from four or so folks. I moderate on another site and I guarantee it just does plain not happen there.

Moderation there is transparent and the rules are uniformly enforced and I know those four would not have made it to 10 posts before being culled from the herd.

If someone would have pulled that "Pocahantas" crap there he'd have that post hidden and he'd have been "one and out" in about ten minutes. That site by the way has over 25,000 active members, and since 2001 has had over 25,000,000 posts. And its much more civil than here with the "four" spouting their stuff.

If it would make you feel more comfortable I will flat out not respond to those four anymore. Now how do we get others to join in?
roger

Fri 17 Apr, 2020 01:07 pm
@blatham,

blatham wrote:

A week ago, he said he had total authority over the states as regards their decisions on how to go forward during the pandemic. Then yesterday he said to the governors, "You call the shots". Those two statements collide in opposition to each other. The first was unsustainable constitutionally but more importantly if he were to maintain it then he sets up a situation where he must inevitably take blame for what goes wrong. Above all, he seeks to avoid that.

I have a different takeaway. He didn't want to be challenged on that 'total authority' thing, so he kind of, sort of dropped it. Notice that he never went so far as to concede that that total authority was indefensible. He merely allowed the states to make their decisions. In other words, he graciously gave the states what they already had.
blatham

Fri 17 Apr, 2020 01:22 pm
Jon Chait starts of a column with one of the best introductory sentences I've ever read...
Quote:
President Trump has two basic modes of governing: abnegation and abuse. Throughout the coronavirus pandemic, Trump has alternately — and, at times, simultaneously — claimed absolute authority and zero responsibility for the crisis. On Thursday, he seemed to lurch back toward abnegation, telling governors they could “call their own shots” about when to reopen public spaces, and they are also “going to lead the testing.”

Today, he is lurching back toward abuse. In a series of wild, all-caps tweets, he called for unspecified revolutionary activity against three states with Democratic governors:
Quote:
@realDonaldTrump
LIBERATE MINNESOTA!
8:21 AM - Apr 17, 2020

@realDonaldTrump
LIBERATE MICHIGAN!
8:22 AM - Apr 17, 2020

@realDonaldTrump
LIBERATE VIRGINIA, and save your great 2nd Amendment. It is under siege!
8:25 AM - Apr 17, 2020

The source of Trump’s peripatetic swings is his inability to competently manage the pandemic. He wants to ease up on social-distancing rules soon, but public-health officials have unanimously insisted that doing so requires an effective testing system. (Otherwise, those states could be vulnerable to new outbreaks that could spread before state authorities have the chance to stop them.) But despite Trump’s absurd lies that the United States has the best tests in the world, and that other countries are trying to copy our tests, the testing system has been in a state of shambles all along.

That failure necessitated his decision yesterday to throw all responsibility to the states. Administration officials tell the Washington Post this posture “is largely designed to shield himself from blame should there be new outbreaks after states reopen or for other problems.”

Only political desperation could account for this “strategy.” The federal government has several innate advantages over the states in responding to a national pandemic. First, Washington has a large, specialized bureaucracy for handling public-health and disaster management (think the CDC, NIH, FEMA, Department of Homeland Security). Scientists are still racing to understand basic facts about the novel coronavirus, and the concentration of national (and international) medical expertise is a distinct advantage.

Second, the national government has the ability to allocate resources where they’re needed. It would make no sense to have every state devise its own defenses against a foreign invasion. (If the enemy lands all its forces in, say, Georgia, you would want to concentrate the defense there, rather than having each governor defend territory that hasn’t been invaded.) Likewise, it makes no sense for every state to mobilize against a pandemic disease that is bound to strike some states much harder than others.

Third, states are required to balance their budgets annually, while Washington can borrow almost without limit. This is the most important reason why Trump’s states-first posture is so irrational. The recession is throwing states into a fiscal crisis, as their revenue stream dries up and more people need social services.

What makes it especially irrational is that Trump’s Republican partners are obstinately opposing federal fiscal aid for state governments. If we take as a given that Trump’s administration is hopelessly inept, it might make sense as a desperation measure to let the governors handle everything on their own. But there is no world in which it makes sense to devolve authority to the states and then let the states collapse into fiscal ruin.

It is not only irrational from the standpoint of the national interest, but it is irrational from the standpoint of Trump’s political interest. The president wants and needs states to reopen their economies as quickly as possible. They can’t do that without having measures in place to flag and contain new coronavirus outbreaks.

Rather than either accelerating the federal government’s production of coronavirus testing or giving states fiscal room to handle it themselves, Trump is doing neither. He is promoting anti-social-distancing protests against Democratic governors as a blunt weapon to compensate for his managerial incompetence. If he cannot provide the conditions to allow states to relax social distancing while following public-health guidelines, he will try to force them by whipping up angry mobs.

There is nothing remotely strategic about this course of action. Polls show the governors he is attacking, and the social-distancing measures they are currently enforcing, are popular. Trump is fomenting anarchy in his own country, undermining the prospects for the orderly recovery he needs in order to win reelection, and creating the risk of a violent tragedy. (The Confederate-flag-waving protesters blocking the entrance to a hospital in Michigan yesterday is the sort of episode that, if repeated, could go very badly.) He is raging angrily against the system because he is hopelessly out of his depth.
NYMag

That last sentence I've bolded is, I think, less accurate/perceptive as Jay Rosen's take that Trump purposefully sews confusion and does this as a continuing strategy to weaken any forces that might arise to challenge him. It's a conman's game and the same game Fox plays.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 17 Apr, 2020 01:25 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
If it would make you feel more comfortable I will flat out not respond to those four anymore. Now how do we get others to join in?

Yes, please. Responding only supports their presence and what they are up to. As to others, we can ask they do the same. Most will and do.
blatham

Fri 17 Apr, 2020 01:32 pm
@roger,
Quote:
I have a different takeaway. He didn't want to be challenged on that 'total authority' thing, so he kind of, sort of dropped it. Notice that he never went so far as to concede that that total authority was indefensible. He merely allowed the states to make their decisions. In other words, he graciously gave the states what they already had.

That's definitely an element to what he's done, sure. He really had to play it that way. But notice how this all falls in the pattern that Jay Rosen identifies - purposefully creating confusion wherever/whenever he can which is pretty much always.

Here's the Mayo Clinic's description of the symptoms of a sociopath (or anti-social personality)
Quote:
Symptoms
Antisocial personality disorder signs and symptoms may include:

-Disregard for right and wrong
-Persistent lying or deceit to exploit others
-Being callous, cynical and disrespectful of others
-Using charm or wit to manipulate others for personal gain or personal pleasure
-Arrogance, a sense of superiority and being extremely opinionated
-Recurring problems with the law, including criminal behavior
-Repeatedly violating the rights of others through intimidation and dishonesty
-Impulsiveness or failure to plan ahead
-Hostility, significant irritability, agitation, aggression or violence
-Lack of empathy for others and lack of remorse about harming others
-Unnecessary risk-taking or dangerous behavior with no regard for the safety of self or others
-Poor or abusive relationships
-Failure to consider the negative consequences of behavior or learn from them
-Being consistently irresponsible and repeatedly failing to fulfill work or financial obligations
LINK

It's really spot on, isn't it?
coldjoint

Fri 17 Apr, 2020 01:35 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Yes, please. Responding only supports their presence and what they are up to. As to others, we can ask they do the same. Most will and do.

Yes please make this forum a left wing echo chamber oblivious to the real American reality. You are doing no one any favors by telling half the story. It is as good as lying.

You have demonstrated your hate regularly by wishing people dead or wishing horrible things would happen to half the people in this country. How do you promote unity? You don't, it is the last thing you want and now you wish to drag everyone down to your level of obvious hate for America.

Aint going to happen.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Fri 17 Apr, 2020 01:39 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Here's the Mayo Clinic's description of the symptoms of a sociopath (or anti-social personality)

You are beating a dead horse. This **** has been posted by you for almost three years. No one new is going to believe it. Minds were made up quite a while ago.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Fri 17 Apr, 2020 01:58 pm
Quote:
Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer: Abortions are ‘life-sustaining’

Not for everyone.
Quote:
You can't make this stuff up

This no response stuff should work out very well.
https://www.theblaze.com/news/michigan-whitmer-abortion-life-sustaining
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 17 Apr, 2020 02:11 pm
We've been very fortunate with immigration over here. We're lucky enough to have this comedy legend to help us through the difficult times. With any luck he'll be the next prime minister.

https://image.tmdb.org/t/p/w500/agTqKr2ZcJe4iyLJiM3uCyxcepc.jpg
coldjoint

Fri 17 Apr, 2020 02:12 pm
Quote:
Acting DNI Grenell Is Succeeding, Angering Susan Rice and Adam Schiff

Quote:
Grenell’s appointment as acting DNI was widely condemned by the foreign policy establishment as well as current and former intelligence officers who claimed he would politicize the ODNI.

But they were really concerned that Grenell would depoliticize American intelligence, uncover intelligence community’s political efforts to undermine the Trump administration, and make U.S. intelligence more efficient.

As a result, it's no surprise that Grenell’s loudest critics are Trump’s political opponents who have used U.S. intelligence as a weapon to destroy the Trump presidency: former National Security Adviser Susan Rice, former DNI James Clapper former CIA Director John Brennan, as well as House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff.

Rice, who called Grenell a "hack," accusing him of turning the intelligence community into a Trump re-election tool, undoubtedly is worried he will look into how senior Obama officials — including the Obama administrationcNational Security Council — leaked sensitive National Security Agency (NSA) intelligence.

Maybe we should call the critics homophobic like the Left would.
https://www.newsmax.com/fred-fleitz/oversight-intelligence-dossier-steele/2020/04/17/id/963325/
0 Replies

coldjoint

Fri 17 Apr, 2020 02:13 pm
@izzythepush,

Quote:
We've been very fortunate with immigration over here.

There are thousands of English girls that disagree. They are rape victims and a direct result of your immigration policies.
neptuneblue

Fri 17 Apr, 2020 02:20 pm
@coldjoint,
Stop that.

Rape isn't an immigrant issue, it's a crime against women issue. For you to portray that as any thing other than that show lack of commitment to end it.
coldjoint

Fri 17 Apr, 2020 02:28 pm
@neptuneblue,
Quote:
Rape isn't an immigrant issue,

The majority of rapists are immigrants, or second generation immigrants. Islamic immigrants. The stats are hidden by the UK government.
Quote:
it's a crime against women issue.

It sure as Hell is, and the UK authorities did nothing about it for over a decade because they did not want to be called racist. And the punishments are still lax. The do not even deport racists. Those girls lives have been ruined. Izzy supports this to appease Islam, the Hell with the children..
neptuneblue

Fri 17 Apr, 2020 02:33 pm
@coldjoint,
I'll give Izzy a chance to respond. He knows better than I do what's happening in his own country.

However, you aren't doing anything besides being an ass because it's not like the good ole USA has done much to prevent even legal citizens from assaulting women.
coldjoint

Fri 17 Apr, 2020 02:35 pm
@neptuneblue,
Quote:
I'll give Izzy a chance to respond.

He won't respond to me. I really do not care what he says to you.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Fri 17 Apr, 2020 03:30 pm
How Stephen King Predicted Trump's Rise Decades Ago.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 17 Apr, 2020 03:33 pm
@neptuneblue,
I have a simple rule, only talk to those with ape like intelligence or greater.

I have better things to do with my time than argue with gormless Nazi idiots.

I’m sure your time could be better spent too.
Brand X

Fri 17 Apr, 2020 04:21 pm
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EV1qsgAU8AAjqYK?format=jpg&name=small
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 17 Apr, 2020 04:32 pm
I bet you guys missed this subtle thing
Quote:
John Whitehouse
@existentialfish
· 55m
Fox News host attacks Michigan governor for calling out swastikas at yesterday's protest against social distancing, saying that they were being displayed ironically

Right? How did we pretentious educated liberals miss this sophisticated use of irony? William Shakespeare and Trump would have got it. The jewish people, known for their learning and humor, would have got it, for sure.

It's really the same as when I was making jewelry and crafted a series of earrings using acrylic-coated 8 month old fetuses.
blatham

Fri 17 Apr, 2020 04:38 pm
Quote:
Greg Sargent
@ThePlumLineGS
· Apr 16
Something very important is happening in Virginia.

The Dem takeover of state government, fueled by anti-Trump fervor, is now allowing for the first big reversal of what the Tea Party wave wrought:

* Voting rights
* gun reforms
* ACA expansion

New piece:
https://washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/04/16/heres-state-thats-quietly-reversing-tea-partys-damage/

Amen!
0 Replies