monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

coldjoint

Fri 17 Apr, 2020 11:28 am
@blatham,
Quote:
Trump’s denial of his coronavirus failings will be “one of the biggest propaganda battles in American history”

How about the MSM's denial of what they have said. As far as your post, who do you think is going to read all that garbage? It is biased and way to long to bother with.

Next time just say you hate Trump and you want to make others hate him too. Admit you need no reason other than hate. I know honesty is a strange and foreign concept to you.
coldjoint

Fri 17 Apr, 2020 11:47 am
Quote:
Elon Musk: 'What I find most surprising is that CNN still exists'

He is not the only one. Laughing Laughing Laughing Says quite a bit about credibility.
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2020/apr/16/elon-musk-what-i-find-most-surprising-is-that-cnn-/
MontereyJack

Fri 17 Apr, 2020 11:51 am
@coldjoint,
what I find surprising is that the Washington times still exists
MontereyJack

Fri 17 Apr, 2020 11:55 am
@coldjoint,
If you still think we hacve no reason to oppose trump you have spent four years with wax in your ears and your eyes tightly closed.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Fri 17 Apr, 2020 11:57 am
@coldjoint,
they were told as far back as December. criminal negligence. A situation we will recrify in November. Biden's up by eight, and the country's finally got trumps number (reputedly it's 666).
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 17 Apr, 2020 12:03 pm
Some of you will remember that Steve Bannon once described Trump's media strategy as "flooding the zone with ****". To put it another way, Trump's technique is to overwhelm the information ecosystem with continual falsehoods, misdirection and irrelevancies to prevent citizens from gaining any coherent sense of what is happening and what is actually true.

In the interview with Jay Rosen above, the same point is being made - Trump is always (or very close to always) setting out to cause confusion and then, under cover of that confusion, pushing his own personal interests. He is absolutely uncaring as to the consequences so long as he gains.

A week ago, he said he had total authority over the states as regards their decisions on how to go forward during the pandemic. Then yesterday he said to the governors, "You call the shots". Those two statements collide in opposition to each other. The first was unsustainable constitutionally but more importantly if he were to maintain it then he sets up a situation where he must inevitably take blame for what goes wrong. Above all, he seeks to avoid that.

Here's what he said this morning. Attend to this because it is important and very dangerous indeed.
Quote:
President Donald Trump posted several bellicose tweets on Friday about the states where some people, including his supporters, are protesting their governors’ stay at home orders.

Trump first tweeted “LIBERATE MINNESOTA,” followed by “LIBERATE MICHIGAN,” then “LIBERATE VIRGINIA.”

“And save your great 2nd Amendment. It is under siege!” he added in his tweet about Virginia.
TPM

He, along with allies at Fox etc, is working to bring about a high profile level of insurrection against any state's move to follow the advices of epidemiologists in holding down the spread of the virus. Why? Obviously, he/they are anxious of threats to his reelection from the economic turndown and from his criminal mishandling of the pandemic. That's why he/they are blaming everyone else but Trump. Those tweets are designed to forward the notion that others, not him, are to blame for conditions.

Also, he is seeking to foment anger and distrust and conflict as a means to fill up the media space with **** and further confuse citizens. He doesn't speak out in any meaningful way against white supremacists like the Proud Boys or the confederate flag wavers or the Bundys because he needs them as loud and visible agitators and as threats to civil equanimity and peace.

Could real violence come as a consequence? Of course. That is the inherent nature of what is being is being threatened even if the main purpose is to sew confusion and discontent and to misinform.
coldjoint

Fri 17 Apr, 2020 12:05 pm
Quote:
Political Elite Plays Its Last Card

Quote:
Desperation Time

The Democrats will be left hoping for a flare-up of the disease and advocating policies certain to prolong economic misery. They have been outmaneuvered, though that is not obvious because of the indignity of the president’s bear-baiting sessions with his media enemies.

Trump not only has the high ground and the burning cause of regaining prosperity, but he will also win the single combat war. The Democrats try to hide Joe Biden, and the lockdown has helped. But eventually, he will have to face Trump, and he is not remotely as forceful, accomplished, or formidable a chief. Trump has many infelicities and is an exhausting president, but he is quite effective and has been very successful, including in managing the greatest crisis the country has faced since the end of the Vietnam War.

Beyond that, whether this could be articulated by them or not, about half the country thinks the Democrats now are led and applauded by a media echo chamber of atheist elitists who want gays to dictate popular culture, regard abortion and childbirth as equivalent events, want to replace fossil fuels with wind and sun, eliminate defense spending and have a real dialogue with the world instead, mock and oppress all the churches except Islam (whose excesses assist in the forward march of paganism), and elevate barrio poseurs as guardians of a new intellectualism. It won’t fly.

The indestructible soul of America is not having it. The Bushes were unwitting enablers, the Clintons were corruptible opportunists, Obama was a fraud elevated because of the need to break the glass ceiling of color for the nation’s highest office. Biden is just a muddled amalgam of 40 years at the public trough, an arthritic wheelhorse in a machine that has broken down.

A little long but worth reading, unlike others.
https://amgreatness.com/2020/04/16/political-elite-plays-its-last-card/#.XpmJWHpXRdQ.twitter
coldjoint

Fri 17 Apr, 2020 12:08 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Could real violence come as a consequence?

Could real violence come anywhere but from the Left? So far they have been the violent ones. I do not think that will change.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Fri 17 Apr, 2020 12:11 pm
@coldjoint,
https://amgreatness.com/2020/04/16/political-elite-plays-its-last-card/#.XpmJWHpXRdQ.twitter

Seriously. That's nothing but "observation", "opinions". And that's all they claim to be, fer pete's sakes!

Next time I open one of your links I will wear gloves.
coldjoint

Fri 17 Apr, 2020 12:14 pm
@bobsal u1553115,

Quote:
Seriously. That's nothing but "observation", "opinions".

No different than the crap posted by many who oppose Trump. A lot of truth in there so your distress is understandable.
MontereyJack

Fri 17 Apr, 2020 12:22 pm
@coldjoint,
the first paragraph was total biased right wing opinion. Calling opinion fact, as you do, doesn't make it fact. Another clear example of your cites' GIGOness. Worthless, in other words.
coldjoint

Fri 17 Apr, 2020 12:26 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
the first paragraph was total biased right wing opinion.

Point out what makes it that way. Quote the parts you consider bias. Can you do that? I seriously doubt it. That is why I feel you do not belong in any serious discussion because all you do is spit back rhetoric.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Fri 17 Apr, 2020 12:38 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
what I find surprising is that the Washington times still exists

I know what you mean, it's demographic can't or won't read. I do understand is makes a superior wrap for garbage.
coldjoint

Fri 17 Apr, 2020 12:41 pm
@bobsal u1553115,

Quote:
I know what you mean, it's demographic can't or won't read. I do understand is makes a superior wrap for garbage.

I have shown how the NYT and WP lie. Show me an example from the Times.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 17 Apr, 2020 12:42 pm
AP has done some reporting on the organizations pushing these Tea Party style protests.
Quote:
Some of the protests have been small events, promoted via Facebook groups that have popped up in recent days and whose organizers are sometimes difficult to identify. Others are backed by groups funded by prominent Republican donors, some with ties to Trump. The largest so far, a rally of thousands that jammed the streets of Lansing, Michigan, on Wednesday, looked much like one of the president's rallies -- complete with MAGA hats or Trump flags -- or one of the tea party rallies from a decade ago.

...But the protests expose resilient partisan divisions, particularly in battleground Michigan. The protest there was organized by the Michigan Conservative Coalition, a group founded by a pro-Trump state representative and his wife, Meshawn Maddock, who is on the advisory board for an official Trump campaign group called "Women for Trump" and is also the co-founder of Michigan Trump Republicans. Their daughter is a field organizer for the Michigan Republican Party.

Another group that promoted the event, the Michigan Freedom Fund, is run by Greg McNeilly, a longtime political adviser to the DeVos family, who are prolific Republican donors and have funded conservative causes across the state for decades. McNeilly was campaign manager for Dick DeVos, the husband of current U.S. Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, during his failed bid for governor in 2006. The group, which does not have to disclose its donors, raised over $4 million in 2018, according to its most recent tax statements.

...Carol Hefner, who previously served as an Oklahoma co-chair of Trump's 2016 campaign, was a major organizer of the [Oklahoma City] event. Hefner, whose husband is part of the Hefner Energy empire and currently operates a company that makes Argentinian meat sauce, differentiated it from many of the others, characterizing it as a "rally" rather than a protest.

...Other gatherings have links to fringe groups. A protest Thursday in the Texas capital of Austin, where protesters chanted "Free Texas" and "Make America Free Again," was broadcast live by InfoWars TV, part of a company owned by conspiracy theorist and radio host Alex Jones.

The Ohio event earlier this week brought together a collection of anti-vaccine advocates, Second Amendment supporters, tea party activists and other anti-government activists. A Columbus Dispatch photo of Ackison and other protesters yelling through glass doors of the statehouse rocketed around the internet.
Here

That all these protests ramped up at the same time is not a coincidence, obviously. The pretense and the messaging is "grassroots" but as with the Tea Party, that's just a cover story. When the Tea Party phenomenon was beginning, I heard Dick Armey (then head of the Koch operation, Americans For Prosperity) in an interview and he threw in the term "grassroots" so repeatedly that half his sentences were utterly incoherent.
Setanta

Fri 17 Apr, 2020 12:44 pm
If violence comes from anywhere it will come from the right. A pack of hateful clowns parades around Charlottesville, with a cordon of morons carrying military-style rifles around them. They carry Nazi flags, and give one another the straight-arm salute. Was there violence? You betcha--one of the hateful morons drives into a crowd of counter-demonstrators, killing one woman. That was at the beginning of this crooked administration. What did the fat boy in the White House, the Moron in Chief have to say? That he is sure there are good people on both sides.

What a loathsome crew. What a true measure of American conservatives. They don't care how many Americans die, nor how they die.

Why do conservatives hate Americasns?
blatham

Fri 17 Apr, 2020 12:48 pm
@Bobsal and Monterey Jack

Making a request of you two here. Please take your fights with coldfall, layman and others to another thread (perhaps "progressives"... or start a new thread).

I specifically started this thread to avoid the sort of fights you guys are engaging and to instead develop a forum where we could share information and commentary from quality outside sources with discussion following such. I wanted something closer to a classroom than a schoolyard pissing contest.

Please.
blatham

Fri 17 Apr, 2020 12:49 pm
@Setanta,
amen
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 17 Apr, 2020 12:56 pm
@blatham,
Re above post on organizations pushing the protests...

If you'll recall, the Tea Party phenomenon was heavily promoted and facilitated by Fox personalities, going so far as to list on air all/any upcoming protests and encouraging viewers to attend.

So watch the role Fox plays now. It will be essentially the same as is already evident.
Quote:
President Donald Trump endorsed conservative protests against social distancing measures in three states immediately after Fox News aired a segment on the efforts, dumping gasoline on a movement that threatens the fragile consensus on steps public health experts say are preventing nightmarish death figures from the novel coronavirus.

Beginning at 11:19 a.m. ET, Fox’s America’s Newsroom ran a segment detailing a wave of protests against stay-at-home orders from governors of Michigan, Minnesota, and Virginia. Fox aired a package featuring footage from a protest in Virginia and another in Minnesota, with Fox News correspondent Mike Tobin quoting the group “Liberate Minnesota” calling the stay-at-home order “an overreaction.” Co-anchor Ed Henry then interviewed a Michigan sheriff who is defying Gov. Gretchen Whitmer’s order in that state.

Trump, who was apparently watching the segment, responded to it in real time by expressing support for the protests, sending multiple tweets saying, “LIBERATE MINNESOTA!,” “LIBERATE MICHIGAN!,” “LIBERATE VIRGINIA.”

Earlier this week, Fox hosts cheered on protests by conservative activists against Michigan’s stay-at-home order. As I noted at the time, “If Trump sees Fox’s protest coverage and endorses the effort, social distancing will become even more politically polarized. The hard-won progress in the fight against the virus could evaporate in an instant, leaving behind a shattered economy and an influx of COVID-19 deaths.”
MM
0 Replies

coldjoint

Fri 17 Apr, 2020 01:00 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
I specifically started this thread

Then left the thread. Then came back proving your word means nothing. The endless Twitter quotes and pages of copy and paste do not contribute anything either but propaganda and hate. Heal thyself. And try really leaving the thread.
0 Replies