monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

snood

Sat 11 Apr, 2020 06:29 am
@blatham,
But what if it’s.someone standing in the middle of a fairly crowded small room, pointing at everyone and shouting, “You (expletive) (insult) (disrespectful remark) people are harassing me and treating me unfairly, and I’m not going to stand for it!” Isn’t it a disruptive thing that needs addressing?

Sigh.

You’re right. The only sane option is to ignore it.
0 Replies

Brand X

Sat 11 Apr, 2020 06:43 am
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EVR_zvXXYAANQWs?format=jpg&name=large
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 11 Apr, 2020 06:43 am
Quote:
For Fox News hosts, the hydroxychloroquine controversy is fuel for the culture war

Tucker Carlson was in particularly high dudgeon Tuesday night, his brow wrinkled in rueful anger as he launched into a public scolding on his Fox News program.

“It is probably the most shameful thing I, as someone who has done this for 20 years, has ever seen,” he proclaimed. “It’s making a lot of us ashamed to work in the same profession as those people. So reckless and wrong in the middle of a pandemic, it really is, for real.”

The source of Carlson’s apparent regret? The fact that some “members of the media” — he didn’t offer any specifics — have criticized President Trump’s energetic touting of hydroxychloroquine as a coronavirus treatment.

Sean Hannity, whose program follows Carlson’s, was mad about it, too. The drug is showing signs of success, he said, “in spite of what the mob and the media is telling you,” he insisted Monday.

...“After hearing all of the stories where hydroxychloroquine is credited with saving lives, it is amazing that the left and the medical establishment is still in total denial about the potential of these decades-old drugs,” Laura Ingraham said on her program Thursday night.

...In touting the drug, Fox weekend host Jesse Watters denounced the “cherry-picking snakes, liars and backstabbing hypocrites” who have allegedly prevented people from receiving it. He added, “The president was hopeful but was savagely attacked in the media.”

...The framing of a fairly arcane medical question as a culture-war argument is part of a long pattern at Fox, where hosts often give “partisan cues” in discussing scientific questions, such as climate change, said Dan Cassino, a political science professor at Fairleigh Dickinson University who has studied the network.
WP

This has seemed a very odd issue for Trump and Fox to focus on. It's easy enough to see how Trump, a deeply uninformed person, might be attracted to a snake-oil "remedy" which, if it worked, would show him as a heroic savior. (And of course because he's a sociopath any negative consequences of widespread use would be of no importance whatsoever).

But he's been pushed by most at Fox to champion hydroxychoroquine and that's less simple to fathom. I think this reporting gets to a key motivation - promotion of and portrayal of the matter as a culture war matter that pits science/scholarship/expertise against "real down to earth Americans". That has always been a looming factor in Fox and right wing discourse.

Conflict gains eyeballs and thus advertiser dollars. For those "news" entities with no or few ethical boundaries, conflicts are created out of nothing (like the War on Christmas, as noted above). And such fake controversies do serve to distract attention from actual and important matters, like the Trump admin's failures right now. Obviously this forms part of Trump's motivations as well.

Really, it's just more gaslighting.
Brand X

Sat 11 Apr, 2020 06:45 am
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EVR_zveXgAEJRi6?format=jpg&name=large
bobsal u1553115

Sat 11 Apr, 2020 06:53 am
https://i.imgur.com/o4JI2i6.png
blatham

Sat 11 Apr, 2020 07:07 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I'd seen that on twitter. It is a brilliant analogy by Frum.

Frum is very definitely a conservative but he's one of the few remaining sane ones.
bobsal u1553115

Sat 11 Apr, 2020 07:10 am
@MontereyJack,
Curious isn't it? Trump was "exonerated" and Hillary Clinton is guilty after hours of grilling in front of their committees, with no charges resulting.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 11 Apr, 2020 07:15 am
@blatham,
Related to my post above...
Data show one of the strongest predictors of social distancing behavior is attitudes toward climate change.

The author addresses the issue of divergent perceptions/ideas about collective action but he does not get into the issue of the modern problem of a bifurcated media system which is profoundly relevant.
bobsal u1553115

Sat 11 Apr, 2020 07:15 am
@Builder,
BULL ****. Document your crap.

[yiutube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwP1LWMKOGo[/youtube]
bobsal u1553115

Sat 11 Apr, 2020 07:18 am
@coldjoint,
And Trump didn't say anything under oath or otherwise. He had plenty of opportunity.
0 Replies

Lash

Sat 11 Apr, 2020 07:22 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

My personal thoughts on all the above is that while we are in the midst of the most serious worldwide pandemic in our lifetimes and facing the most consequential and dangerous election perhaps in US history that our time here is probably not best spent in dozens - hundreds - thousands of posts regarding this one individual when dozens - hundreds- thousands of post of the same sort with this same individual have been invested over many years previously.

Appreciate the accurate estimate of thousands of ad hom posts about this same individual over many years.

Agree that ignore is best.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 11 Apr, 2020 07:34 am
During the pandemic, The Paris Review is opening pieces for viewing at no cost. Right now they've opened an interview with Fran Lebowitz from 1993. It's Here

0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Sat 11 Apr, 2020 07:42 am
@coldjoint,
The FBI puts no one under oath. Lying to the FBI is a felony. Ask Michael Cohen, John Manafort, Roger Stone, Mike Flynn ...
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Sat 11 Apr, 2020 07:44 am
@coldjoint,
can you say witch hunt?
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Sat 11 Apr, 2020 07:46 am
@coldjoint,
He shuttered the US pandemic support agency just as Wuhan hit the news. It is Trump's fault.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Sat 11 Apr, 2020 07:47 am
@blatham,
Conservative, but rational, like Bill Krystal is becoming, too.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Sat 11 Apr, 2020 07:49 am
@blatham,
Never thought about that possibility. Certainly explains the behavior of people around here.
bobsal u1553115

Sat 11 Apr, 2020 07:50 am
@bobsal u1553115,
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 11 Apr, 2020 07:56 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Makes sense, doesn't it.
bobsal u1553115

Sat 11 Apr, 2020 08:03 am
@blatham,
Unfortunately, yes it does.