monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Wed 8 Apr, 2020 09:56 pm
Because modern Republicans have come to hold as a certainty that liberalism is an illegitimate political philosophy - regardless of what citizens desire - then anything they can or might do to ensure Republican power is axiomatically a moral good. That's if they even think in moral terms. Otherwise the motivation is greed, power and domination of others.

Quote:
The Coronavirus Has Not Halted Trump’s Power Grab

Both the president and his party are committed to a long-term project of impunity from both the law and the electorate.

...Although the pestilence that has killed more than 10,000 Americans and shut down the U.S. economy is understandably dominating the headlines, the Trump administration’s efforts to erode democracy and the rule of law have not subsided. The authoritarianization of the federal government has hampered its response to the pandemic, squandering scarce resources on shoring up the president’s lies and pursuing his political interests at the public’s expense. This is the predictable result of an authoritarian logic in which the preservation of the regime takes precedence over the safety of its own citizens, because the leader is the incontestable expression of popular will.

...Shortly after the passage of the $2 trillion stimulus package in late March, Trump declared his intention to not comply with its oversight provisions. Then, on Friday, he appointed a White House attorney, Brian Miller, to oversee the $500 billion fund set aside for stabilizing large corporations. Although Miller has previously worked as a government watchdog, his most recent job was as part of the legal team defending Trump from impeachment. On Tuesday, Trump also fired Glenn Fine, the lead watchdog overseeing a panel of inspectors general who are in turn overseeing the overall stimulus package.

...The president and the institutional GOP are executing parallel, complementary campaigns: Trump is attempting to undermine the rule of law for personal and political gain; keeping him in office is crucial to the Republican Party’s larger goal of locking its opponents out of power by narrowing, restricting, or altering the franchise to insulate the party from a changing electorate....
Adam Serwer gets this all absolutely right.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 8 Apr, 2020 10:12 pm
WTF?
Quote:
All Things Considered
@npratc
· 7h
The federal government will end funding for coronavirus testing sites on Friday. While some sites will transition to being state-managed, others will close as a result. This as criticism continues that not enough testing is available.
https://n.pr/2y35sNu
0 Replies

Builder

Wed 8 Apr, 2020 11:52 pm
One death in ten million in India, versus 300 deaths in one million in Spain.

Either every single death is being written off as from COVID-19, or this whole self-isolation gig is total bullshit.

MontereyJack

Wed 8 Apr, 2020 11:55 pm
@Builder,
or the indian statistic is total denialist fantasy.
Builder

Thu 9 Apr, 2020 12:04 am
@MontereyJack,
You can check all of the third world nations, if you like. I'm highly curious as to how living in a first world nation, with apparently world-class medical facilities, can actually result in such terrible statistics, compared to dirt-poor nations.

Indonesia, Thailand, even South Africa, all have figures below the one in ten million mark.

You can look for yourself. Doesn't make sense to any rational person.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Olivier5

Thu 9 Apr, 2020 01:03 am
@Builder,
You think the Indians carefuly record each and every death and its cause?
Builder

Thu 9 Apr, 2020 01:17 am
@Olivier5,
But the Italians and Spanish do, right?
Olivier5

Thu 9 Apr, 2020 01:22 am
@Builder,
They do it better than the Indians, yes.
Builder

Thu 9 Apr, 2020 01:34 am
@Olivier5,
And Japan, the Phillipines, Malaysia, Mexico, Indonesia, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Egypt, and New Zealand (to name just a few) are all crap at head counts of their dead? Morocco is shite too?

Like most of your input here, I'll accept it as coming from a troll.
MontereyJack

Thu 9 Apr, 2020 02:20 am
@Builder,
Olvier makes sense, you generally make nonsense. If there's a troll here, you're among the first in line.
Builder

Thu 9 Apr, 2020 02:27 am
@MontereyJack,
Then you'd be happy to point out where I "make nonsense" for the rest of our readers, right?

I post verifiable evidence of the numbers of deaths across nations, and it gets fobbed off as bad counting.

Now it's your turn to look like an idiot. Don't get too used to it.

Olly is enough for one forum like this.
MontereyJack

Thu 9 Apr, 2020 02:33 am
@Builder,
You seem to have come up with some statistic nobody else is using which had no obvious explanation. Ten million population in the country? Why is that relevant? If not that, what? and why?
Builder

Thu 9 Apr, 2020 02:44 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
You seem to have come up with some statistic nobody else is using which had no obvious explanation

You think these stats are my making? LOL.

I'm quoting from the government's statistics. Here they are again.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
MontereyJack

Thu 9 Apr, 2020 02:52 am
@Builder,
I will ask again. Which of the many statistics there are you quoting nd why do you think it's relevant. and how are you comparing countries which are at many different stages of the disease, many of which have extremely rudimentary health care systems and rudimentary diagnostic capabilities and reporting standards,
Builder

Thu 9 Apr, 2020 03:13 am
@MontereyJack,
I guess if you're not familiar with how charts work, I'm not here to hold your hand and walk you through it all.

China is done with it, yes? Two deaths per million people.

You think Japan is a third world nation? Rudimentary health care?

I am aware that Americans are often ignorant of the workings of other nations, but you're surely familiar with Germany, yes?

How about Canada?

I guess they're all backwoods ghettos to you, right?

Walter Hinteler

Thu 9 Apr, 2020 04:35 am
@Builder,
So far, one can only estimate the so-called lethality rate of Covid-19. The main problem is that no one knows how many people are really ill.

In Italy, for example, the virus initially spread unnoticed. People were not tested for the virus until the first deaths occurred - but by that time a huge number of people had already been infected. The chains of infection could no longer be traced. The result: the clinics are overburdened.
In Germany it was different: a lot of testing was done from the beginning, many cases were discovered - and there was still a chance to identify contact persons. But thus the number of confirmed infected persons is correspondingly high.
This is an important aspect for the analysis of case numbers: A higher number of officially confirmed infected persons does not necessarily mean that a country is more severely affected - perhaps testing is simply better.

One thing is clear: the official case numbers are always only those that the authorities know. In fact, considerably more people will be affected. This is mainly because the majority of known infected persons show only very mild symptoms.
blatham

Thu 9 Apr, 2020 04:47 am
If you can't steal a bunch of all that bailout money for yourself and your friends, what the hell is a pandemic for anyway?
Quote:
Tucked into the recent recovery bill was a provision granting the Federal Reserve the right to set up a $450 billion bailout plan without following key provisions of the federal open meetings law, including announcing its meetings or keeping most records about them, according to a POLITICO review of the legislation.

The provision, the existence of which has not been previously reported, further calls into question the transparency and oversight for the biggest bailout law ever passed by Congress. President Donald Trump has indicated he does not plan to comply with another part of the new law intended to boost Congress’ oversight powers of the bailout funds. And earlier this week, Trump dismissed the government official chosen as the chief watchdog for the stimulus package.

The changes at the central bank – which appear to have been inserted into the 880-page bill by sympathetic senators during the scramble to get it approved -- would address a complaint that the Fed faced during the 2008 financial crisis, when board members couldn’t easily hold group conversations to address the fast-moving economic turmoil.

The provision dispenses with a longstanding accountability rule that the board has to give at least one day’s notice before holding a meeting. Experts say the change could lead to key information about the $450 billion bailout fund, such as which firms might benefit from the program, remaining inaccessible long after the bailout is over...
politico
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 9 Apr, 2020 04:59 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Over here deaths in care homes aren’t routinely included in the figures.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 9 Apr, 2020 05:37 am
Quote:
Trump Is Pushing a False Argument on Vote-by-Mail Fraud. Here Are the Facts.
As the coronavirus pandemic accelerates a national trend toward voting by mail, experts say it can be conducted safely, despite Republican claims of corruption.
NYT
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 9 Apr, 2020 06:11 am
Quote:
It seems when [Trump's] not battling the pandemic, he is waging war on voting reform. “They have to be very careful because you know the things with bundling and all of the things that are happening with votes by mail where thousands of votes are gathered and I’m not going to say which party does it, but thousands of votes are gathered and they come in and they’re dumped in a location and then all of a sudden you lose elections that you think you’re going to win. I won’t stand for it,” Trump said. As only Trump can.
Gail Collins

Geniuses talk this way. The talking is very strong. No fakeness in the strong coherency. Those trucks, those really big trucks, I know a lot about trucks. They couldn't carry the strongness of this.
0 Replies