monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Tue 7 Feb, 2017 02:57 pm
Quote:
...Sean Spicer, the president’s press secretary, told Fox News’ Brian Kilmeade yesterday that organized demonstrations against the administration and its agenda shouldn’t be taken seriously at all:
Quote:
KILMEADE: Do you sense, instead of being organic disruption, do you sense that there is an organized pushback and people are being paid to protest?

SPICER: Oh, absolutely. Protesting has become a profession now. They have every right to do that, don’t get me wrong. But I think that we need to call it what it is. It’s not these organic uprisings that we have seen through the last several decades. The tea party was a very organic movement. This has become a very paid Astroturf-type movement.

Spicer doesn’t appear to have any idea what he’s talking about. Much of the tea party activism in 2009 and 2010 was bolstered, at least in part, by wealthy conservative benefactors who invested considerable resources into the effort. For that matter, there’s literally zero evidence that any of the recent anti-Trump activism is being bankrolled by anyone on the left.
Benen

Benen gets all of this right. The Tea Party movement was funded and organized/coordinated by Freedom Works, which was founded by the Koch brothers and is funded by them. Dick Armey was in charge at that time until he resigned after demanding and getting $8 million bucks in severance (a patriot's wage).

Further, the movement was heavily promoted on a daily basis for months by Fox who provided updates on where protests would be held, who encouraged attendance and who also provided key staff to attend and function as cheerleaders. They also lied about the size of crowds.

As to protest movements and participants now, no evidence has been advanced by anyone I know of regarding protesters being paid. That's simply a lie. But the purpose for the lie is obvious.
MontereyJack

Tue 7 Feb, 2017 03:06 pm
@blatham,
What little mind Sean Spicer has, he is clearly out of it.
blatham

Tue 7 Feb, 2017 03:06 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Yes. Pretty much the entire tech community is standing up and fighting Trump/Bannon on the immigration EO and the promotion of fears and hatred that is the propagandist undercurrent in what this admin is up to. Good for them. The chances of an American being killed by an immigrant Muslim is about equal to the chances that an American citizen who is about to be eaten by a polar bear being saved when that polar bear is hit by a bolt of lightening that has bounced off a junked AMC Pacer.
blatham

Tue 7 Feb, 2017 03:08 pm
@MontereyJack,
No. He's just being trained to say whatever Trump wants him to say. His mind is fine. His soul is toasted.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Tue 7 Feb, 2017 03:08 pm
@blatham,
A friend had one of those... ugly thing. I think it was green, but that was a while ago.
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 7 Feb, 2017 03:12 pm
@blatham,
Based on what Ive been reading, the president hqas been gifted with a bunch of powers back in the 1950's . These have never been tested in the USSC so , the Dumpster may slide by and get his wish.
Theres precedent from Ike's admin
blatham

Tue 7 Feb, 2017 03:26 pm
Let's just acknowledge the uncomfortable fact that Trump has recently pointed out...

the court system has now become a threat to national security.

I think it's very important to grasp the sad truth and wisdom of Trump's position here. What Trump is implying was perhaps not obvious to many prior to Trump's voice of this fact but now we all have to confront it, head on and honestly. The court system, the judiciary and the operations of it, cannot be allowed to remain effectively complicit with terrorists' goals. The very survival of America, in this time of unprecedented existential threat, must not be placed in jeopardy by weak-kneed liberals who are scared to shake things up and act with all due aggression against radical Islamic terrorism.
blatham

Tue 7 Feb, 2017 03:29 pm
@farmerman,
You may well be right. I've seen voices making similar claims regarding the gradual facilitation of exec powers that, if things go wrong, could toss the US into something rather ugly. I've not dug into these matters though and can't speak on it with any worth.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 7 Feb, 2017 03:34 pm
@blatham,
If congress doesn't do anything while Trump sets new precedence for our country, it doesn't bode well for our future. The three branches of government doesn't seem to be working.
"Ban on Muslims" seems unconstitutional on its principle.
blatham

Tue 7 Feb, 2017 03:51 pm
@cicerone imposter,
So far, this GOP led Congress is operating in the mode of a well-paid whore or contract killer. They aren't going to change unless they perceive electoral threat.
cicerone imposter

Tue 7 Feb, 2017 03:52 pm
@blatham,
Can't they see that Trump's approval rating is in the dumps?
blatham

Tue 7 Feb, 2017 03:59 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Sure. But they apparently believe they have a period of time before they will need to do something serious about him. And they've got a lot to do to make America the way it was back in the golden years around 1900.
georgeob1

Tue 7 Feb, 2017 04:18 pm
In no particular order;

Sean Spicer's role as spokesman for the Administration is no different from that of his Obama Administration predecessor Josh Earnest (I believe). Both get similar reactions to spokesmen of the opposition party. Surprised???

The Tech community has a strong financial interest in a steady flow of imported labor on employment visas, and, as well, on our (and their) popular image abroad so they can sell their wares.

The toxological standards enforced by the EPA call for restrictions on substances having the potential for serious injury to one exposed person per million: exposure is not universal and the resulting annual mortality is far less than the average due to terrorist attacks over the last 17 years.

No resident of any foreign country has any constitutional right to reside in or enter this country. Admission is, here, and everywhere else, the sole perogative of the sovereign country admitting travellers and guests.

layman

Tue 7 Feb, 2017 04:23 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
The Tech community has a strong financial interest in a steady flow of imported labor on employment visas, and, as well, on our (and their) popular image abroad so they can sell their wares.

Yeah, they're today's plantation owners, eh, George? Once they get these chumps here on a work visa at a cheap-ass, wage-slave salary, they can't quit their job or work elsewhere without getting their visas revoked. It's indentured servitude, I tellya.

0 Replies

layman

Tue 7 Feb, 2017 04:29 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

So far, this GOP led Congress is operating in the mode of a well-paid whore or contract killer.

Don't go dissin no hos, now, Blathy, ya hear!?

Not no hitmen, neither.

It's misogynistic and anti-italian xenophobic racism, I tellya!
0 Replies

layman

Tue 7 Feb, 2017 04:35 pm
I'll take a good ho or hitman over congress, the lowest possible form of life, any ole day:

Quote:
"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that the only distinctly native American criminal class is Congress."

“Suppose you were a congressman. And suppose you were an idiot. But I repeat myself."

“If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a congressman."

[Mark Twain]

0 Replies

Debra Law

Tue 7 Feb, 2017 04:37 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Let's just acknowledge the uncomfortable fact that Trump has recently pointed out...

the court system has now become a threat to national security.

I think it's very important to grasp the sad truth and wisdom of Trump's position here. What Trump is implying was perhaps not obvious to many prior to Trump's voice of this fact but now we all have to confront it, head on and honestly. The court system, the judiciary and the operations of it, cannot be allowed to remain effectively complicit with terrorists' goals. The very survival of America, in this time of unprecedented existential threat, must not be placed in jeopardy by weak-kneed liberals who are scared to shake things up and act with all due aggression against radical Islamic terrorism.

I don't understand what you mean by the above. Why are you saying our court system is "complicit with terrorists' goals"?
giujohn

Tue 7 Feb, 2017 04:40 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

Quote:
I will give you one point. The second amendment was never about hunting... It was always about self defense, whether from hostile Nations, domestic tyrants, or everyday criminals.

Not to even mention them damn injuns, eh, John?

Heh heh heh
0 Replies

layman

Tue 7 Feb, 2017 04:40 pm
@Debra Law,
Heh.

Another no-laughin radlib, eh?
0 Replies

giujohn

Tue 7 Feb, 2017 04:53 pm
@hightor,
Your reasoning is not only specious it it twisted like a pretzel in order to fit you anti gun narrative. If you have any doubt as to the framers intent you will find their thinking in their contemporary writings.

Furthermore they never mentioned the Bill of Rights to be a "living document". It is timeless...That us their intent. They also thought of the possibility that not all things could be thought of or that they could know the future...THATS WHY WE HAVE THE AMENDMENT PROCESS.

0 Replies