monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

hightor

Mon 23 Mar, 2020 03:57 pm
Quote:
(...)

The basic formula for helping businesses is straightforward. The federal government needs to provide the money that companies are unable to earn or borrow because of the pandemic. In exchange, companies need to maintain employment and wage payments. That’s the necessary grand bargain — the standard any bailout package should be required to meet.

The Republican bill would let small businesses borrow up to $10 million, and those loans would then be forgiven for any business that avoids cuts in jobs or wages. That’s a fair deal.

But Republicans are proposing different rules for big businesses. Recipients of government bailouts would be required to avoid job or wage cuts only “to the extent practicable” — a loophole so large it amounts to a lack of any meaningful obligation.

The bill creates a $500 billion bailout fund for corporations. Most of the money would backstop the Federal Reserve’s broad-based emergency lending programs, but the Treasury would also get $75 billion for targeted bailouts. The Treasury undoubtedly needs resources and flexibility to confront the crisis. But it would be unpardonable folly for Congress to grant too much latitude to an administration that has repeatedly proved itself to be a careless steward of public resources. To take just one example, the bill would let the Treasury bail out hotels owned by Mr. Trump on whatever terms his administration might care to dictate — and Mr. Trump refused on Sunday night to pledge that he would refrain from taking any federal aid.

Senate Democrats want more from Republicans in other areas, too. They are pushing to deliver more funding for health care, and for state and local governments, and to expand unemployment benefits. These are worthy goals that deserve bipartisan support. Bringing the spread of the coronavirus under control remains the single best way to limit damage to the economy, and health care providers and local governments are on the front lines and running low on money. The need extends beyond public health: The crisis threatens the viability of critical public services, including transit systems. And expanding benefits for unemployed workers would provide aid to those who need it most.

(...)

nyt

McGentrix wrote:
This is what the left dreams about during a crisis of this proportion.

Were you equally critical of the right for holding up the Families First Coronavirus Response Act over the Hyde Amendment?
Quote:
Taking peoples guns from them.

Not across the board, silly — in special cases. At any rate, this could be a typical negotiating tactic. More funding for public healthcare and they drop H.R. 5715.
farmerman

Mon 23 Mar, 2020 03:57 pm
@McGentrix,
If that is the only thing, I will immediately get ahold of my Senators and give em some ****. Using an emergency as this to rewrite the Constitution should be off the fuckin table. e do need gun law change, NOT NOW!!
blatham

Mon 23 Mar, 2020 03:58 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
This is what the left dreams about during a crisis of this proportion. Taking peoples guns from them.
The bastards! Next, what will it be? Demanding homeowners surrender their god-given right to purchase and stockpile napalm?!
hightor

Mon 23 Mar, 2020 04:13 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
If that is the only thing...

You might want to get independent corroboration for this claim.
McGentrix

Mon 23 Mar, 2020 04:14 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
This is what the left dreams about during a crisis of this proportion. Taking peoples guns from them.
The bastards! Next, what will it be? Demanding homeowners surrender their god-given right to purchase and stockpile napalm?!

You are the queen of exaggeration for sure. Not napalm, just semi-automatic pistols, rifles and shotguns.
McGentrix

Mon 23 Mar, 2020 04:15 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
If that is the only thing...

You might want to get independent corroboration for this claim.

Dude, I linked the actual bill... What kind of independent corroboration do you need?
hightor

Mon 23 Mar, 2020 04:16 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
Not napalm, just semi-automatic pistols, rifles and shotguns.

If you represent a threat to others. What's wrong with that?
McGentrix

Mon 23 Mar, 2020 04:18 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
Not napalm, just semi-automatic pistols, rifles and shotguns.

If you represent a threat to others. What's wrong with that?

I don't. That's what is wrong with that.
hightor

Mon 23 Mar, 2020 04:19 pm
@McGentrix,
I know what the gun control bill is. It's been around for a while. What I don't know is whether it's being included in the economic relief bill under discussion and holding up the process.
hightor

Mon 23 Mar, 2020 04:20 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
I don't.

Then you're not in danger of losing your firearm.
McGentrix

Mon 23 Mar, 2020 04:23 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
I don't.

Then you're not in danger of losing your firearm.

You didn't read the bill.
hightor

Mon 23 Mar, 2020 04:37 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:

You didn't show me where it's holding up the stimulus plan.
coldjoint

Mon 23 Mar, 2020 04:40 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
this could be a typical negotiating tactic.

This hardly a typical time. Democrats continue to **** on Americans.
hightor

Mon 23 Mar, 2020 04:47 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:
This hardly a typical time.

So it's okay for the Republicans to **** on ordinary USAmericans and bailout the biggest corporations with total impunity?
coldjoint

Mon 23 Mar, 2020 04:51 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
So it's okay for the Republicans to **** on ordinary USAmericans and bailout the biggest corporations with total impunity?

How many people do they employ? Their well being directly effects a lot of Americans.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Mon 23 Mar, 2020 04:54 pm
Quote:
Pelosi And Schumer Play Politics While Americans Die

Quote:
Republicans understand that a national crisis calls for urgency and calls for bipartisanship,” GOP Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) said. “It’s time for Democrats to stop playing politics and step up to the plate… We’re at war with no ammo. Democrats are talking about this as if it is some juicy political opportunity. This is not a juicy political opportunity… This has got to stop and today’s the day it has to stop. The country is out of time.”

McConnell is right. Democrats like Nancy Pelosi (CA) and Chuck Schumer (NY) see this as just another chance to fatten the coffers of their pet radical groups and special interests. This while millions could go without jobs and paychecks. They are playing a dangerous game. They will likely lose.

https://thepoliticalinsider.com/pelosi-and-schumer-play-politics-while-americans-die/
coldjoint

Mon 23 Mar, 2020 05:21 pm
Quote:
Same day voter registration, a long-time Dem wishlist item, very relevant to addressing those businesses and working families about to go under from #COVID19.
View image on Twitter
11:18 AM - Mar 23, 2020

Whole list of what the bill is being held up for at link.
https://www.redstate.com/nick-arama/2020/03/23/dems-block-bill-again-want-even-more-crazy-pork-demands/
0 Replies

McGentrix

Mon 23 Mar, 2020 05:47 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:

You didn't show me where it's holding up the stimulus plan.

Are... are you ok? Like seriously. You've been having trouble following the conversations lately and I am getting worried.
0 Replies

Setanta

Mon 23 Mar, 2020 06:07 pm
@coldjoint,
People aren't going to work, unless their employment is seen as an essential service. The Democrats see no reason to bail out corporations, which is why they refuse to be suckered into another millionaire/billionaire bailout. Anyone worried about people temporarily thrown out of work need only support a bailout which pays Americans directly. According to Pew Research, there are more than 157,000,000 Americans employed. Make that figure 158,000,000 and you can pay them $2000.00 a month for four months, for less than the proposed Republican bailout for their corporate buddies/donors.

Your source, the Political Insider-dot-com, is described by Media Bias/Fact Check as follows:

Quote:
Overall, we rate The Political Insider Questionable based on Extreme Right Wing Bias, promotion of conspiracy theories, a lack of transparency and a few failed fact checks.

I suggest that you not try to piss down peoples' legs and tell them it's raining.
farmerman

Mon 23 Mar, 2020 06:11 pm
@hightor,
I know nothing about whats in the bailout. So a gun bill is NOT part of it? yet the facts as stated by Set are> HMMMMM. Is there a "Plain ENglish" version of this Bill??