monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Thu 27 Feb, 2020 09:04 am
@georgeob1,
Still waiting for you sourcing on the earlier post.

Quote:
I sometimes get the impression that you may still be motivated by deep hostilities, implanted perhaps in childhood or early youth.
You are suggesting some degree of anti-Catholicism arising from a Mennonite/anabaptist upbringing? That wouldn't be accurate. And I'm not anti-Semitic nor anti-Buddhist or anti-Muslim and I'm fine with Whirling Dervishes doing their whirling.

But I do deplore the fanatics where ever they appear. There is even a species of atheist which I despise. Barr is in this category.
hightor

Thu 27 Feb, 2020 09:07 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
Most people in their adult lives develop an appreciation for the complexity of human nature...

Apparently some don't:

Quote:
Overwhelming numbers are found on the questions of whether Catholics believe in hell and the devil. Some 81% of all Catholics believe in hell, and 79% believe in the devil; and of those who believe in the devil, 79% say the devil is not merely a personification or a symbol of evil but is a fallen angel.
0 Replies

hightor

Thu 27 Feb, 2020 09:10 am
@blatham,
Quote:
Barr is in this category.

The Attorney General is a Catholic — I assume you mean he's in the fanatic category?
blatham

Thu 27 Feb, 2020 09:13 am
@hightor,
That's helpful. It's a dilemma I think about often. Trump is a tragic manifestation, it seems to me, along with those who so cavalierly voted for him. Just running a small community of some hundred thousand must surely be, for someone trying to get it right, a near overwhelming task requiring all sorts of personal characteristics in some abundance. I'm sure I'd fail at it.

What about leading 300 million people in a modern context? Inconceivably complicated for anyone. Very high levels of intelligence and integrity are just basic requirements.

But populists seem to be little aware of or concerned with such things and clearly tend to behave in ways which humans have evolved as social animals operating in rather small groups.

The road ahead is going to be unpleasant.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 27 Feb, 2020 09:20 am
@hightor,
Quote:
The Attorney General is a Catholic — I assume you mean he's in the fanatic category?
Precisely my meaning. I suspect I'm a bigger fan of Francis than george might be. And as I've stated many times, I have a far greater respect for traditions of Catholic self-investigation than what most Protestant communities have managed (though Anglicans do this with far more integrity than North American evangelicals). But there is a coterie within the Catholic community who are fanatics and Barr is in that camp.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 27 Feb, 2020 10:21 am
@hightor,
If the Doctor from the government wants to detain your family how do you know if it's for medical or political reasons?
izzythepush

Thu 27 Feb, 2020 10:24 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

and I'm fine with Whirling Dervishes doing their whirling.

There's a bit more to it than that.

https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1347742638i/914743._UY400_SS400_.jpg
hightor

Thu 27 Feb, 2020 10:42 am
@izzythepush,
Because they're ill.
RABEL222

Thu 27 Feb, 2020 11:42 am
@hightor,
I am an 84 year old Catholic and no one asked me about my beliefs. Polls go over my head. They can be conducted to get the result one wants. Everyone where I live, Trump country, know I hate Trump and am shamed by the fact my church supported him. Even worse is the fact that so many supreme court justices distort Catholic beliefs into republican consertive dogma. Do you believe Christ would be a Trumpie. He would be one of the money changers thrown out of the temple. It just shows how human nature can be twisted to justify opinions. I know of no Catholic priest who condemns an immigrant as does Trump. My church believes abortion is the most important issue, I do not. While I deplore it, it is not something that should drive all other issues from ones mind. Abortion is between god and the people involved. Religion should stay out of politics and when perceived should be removed by voting the perpatrator out.
hightor

Thu 27 Feb, 2020 11:58 am
@RABEL222,
Quote:
Even worse is the fact that so many supreme court justices distort Catholic beliefs into republican consertive dogma.

Catholic intellectuals have honed their rhetorical and reasoning skills through the rigorous study of Catholic theology and are adept at fashioning convincing arguments which sound perfectly rational. (I was a theology major in a formerly Catholic university and was schooled by Jesuits.)
coldjoint

Thu 27 Feb, 2020 12:00 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
There's a bit more to it than that.

Islam all has the same goal no matter what sect. World domination through jihad and hegira. Any means necessary.

The founder of the Muslim Brotherhood was a Sufi. The MB is a terrorist organization.

Quote:
In addition to his early exposure to Hanbali puritanism, Hassan al-Banna was inspired by Rashid Rida's magazine, Al-Manar. He was also heavily influenced by Sufism as a youth in Mahmudiyya. He attended weekly Hadra and was a member of the al-Hassafiyya Sufi order.[
7]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hassan_al-Banna
Do not listen to bullshit. It is a distraction to avoid the reality of Islam.
snood

Thu 27 Feb, 2020 12:03 pm
@coldjoint,
Do you know any Muslims personally?
coldjoint

Thu 27 Feb, 2020 12:29 pm
@snood,
Quote:
Do you know any Muslims personally?

I talk about Islam not individual Muslims. And the question is irrelevant. The religion speaks for itself.
snood

Thu 27 Feb, 2020 12:53 pm
@coldjoint,
I’ll take that as a no.
coldjoint

Thu 27 Feb, 2020 01:16 pm
@snood,
Quote:
I’ll take that as a no.

I'll take that as you think what Muslims say about Islam is true. If they say Islam is peaceful do you believe them? Their literature says the opposite and has declared eternal war against all non-Muslims. Though that should be plain by the actions of the Muslim minority in host countries, using civil rights to get religious rights. That is what supremacists do. That and acts of terror.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Thu 27 Feb, 2020 01:16 pm
@coldjoint,
And what it says is not one thing, no.matter what some Muslim theologians say MUST be done, any more than all Christian's all dowhat some xian theologians say must be done because the bible says so. It's not a unitary faith and only a small minority are jihadis. Islamophobia is misguided
E
izzythepush

Thu 27 Feb, 2020 01:23 pm
@hightor,
You don't know what it's like to grow up in a country where people genuinely fear the government, neither do I for that matter. That's why I wouldn't be so quick to judge the motives of those breaking quarantine.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 27 Feb, 2020 01:23 pm
@izzythepush,
Sure. But personally, I like whirling.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 27 Feb, 2020 01:25 pm
@hightor,
Had no idea. But not surprised at all.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Thu 27 Feb, 2020 01:32 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
It's not a unitary faith and only a small minority are jihadis.

You have never heard of the ummah? Not surprised. And any devout Muslim is a jihadi. Jihad is the greatest deed. It is not always violent. Non participation in jihad keeps a Muslim out of paradise.
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/ummah
Jihad can be a lie to advance Islam. It can be a textbook that whitewashes a terrible religion. It can be a business forced to give prayer breaks. It can be ignoring zoning violations. It most certainly the force behind lawsuits that claim discrimination or offense based on religion. Islam demands special treatment.
0 Replies