monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

oralloy

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 04:33 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
giujohn wrote:
So let me ask you...Why in a catalog of individual rights that is the first ten amendments written by men who were Very wary of a central government who just went through an ARMED rebellion, why oh why would they give the right to keep and bear arms to only to a government entity??

Because by having organized citizen militias they wouldn't need to keep a standing army. Too bad the concept was seen to be unworkable by 1812.

That explains why they wanted the militia to be armed.

But the question was why they would want ONLY the militia to be armed. (i.e. Why in addition to arming the militia would they want to disarm the civilian public?)
blatham

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 04:44 pm
Quote:
Joe Conason ‏@JoeConason 3h3 hours ago
Trump doesn't dare to criticize Putin or Russia. Neither does Pence. Both terrified of what the Kremlin knows about them and their campaign.

We do have to allow that this may be true. Or that something else is known. Or that there are financial ties or debts that cannot be allowed to be revealed. Or something like those things. Pence's totally abnormal behavior today needs to be explained.
hightor

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 04:56 pm
@oralloy,
One obvious argument comes from the words of the amendment:
Quote:
... being necessary to the security of a free State...

The militia is concerned with state security — defense of the country from hostile forces (probably external). Nothing is stated concerning self defense, hunting, tax resistance, or recreational shooting — why? Because firearm ownership was simply part of the home economy if you were farming, homesteading, or living on the frontier. It didn't represent an "issue" — having a civilian army did represent something new. That was revolutionary.

I'd discuss more of your points in depth but I've gotta go — gotta practice musket loading down at the monthly militia meeting.
cicerone imposter

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 05:03 pm
@blatham,
There's also Mike Pence's hypocrisy. His Christian values has been thrown under the bus to become Trump's vp.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/chapman/ct-pence-trump-vp-hypocrisy-obama-perspec-0717-20160715-column,amp.html?client=safari
blatham

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 05:12 pm
@cicerone imposter,
That's a great piece, ci. Thank you! As noted, Pence gave this speech in 2010 and was obviously making slighting references to Obama. To see it now is hilarious:
Quote:
The presidency's "powers are vast and consequential, its requirements — from the outset and by definition — impossible for mortals to fulfill without humility and insistent attention to its purposes as set forth in the Constitution of the United States," declared Pence, his gaze steely and his jaw firmly set. Of power, he said, "Those who are entrusted with it must educate themselves in self-restraint."

"A true statesman lives in what Churchill called a continuous 'stress of soul,'" Pence informed his audience. "And that's why you must always be wary of a president who seems to float upon his own greatness."

Pence told a story to illustrate the humanity and humility of Calvin Coolidge. "A sensibility like this — and not power — is the source of presidential dignity, and it must be restored," he said. "It depends entirely upon character, self-discipline and an understanding of the fundamental principles that underlie not only the republic but life itself.

God I do despise these people.
blatham

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 05:32 pm
Hwy 61 re-revisited

Super Bowling Green Massacre

Just put some bleachers out in the sun
We'll have it out on Highway 61
0 Replies

layman

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 05:33 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
God I do despise these people.

No need to tell anyone . We already know. The HATE is evidenced in virtually every post you make.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 05:36 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Isn't that interesting. I was going to quote that as well to talk about what this entire thread is and has been.
Well damn, you clearly have me there. Truth-annihilation is my thing. It's why I quote liberals and conservatives here. It's why I always link to sources and why I note with ellipses or brackets where portions are omitted or where some word/phrase has been added for clarification. All standard misinformation techniques of the propagandist.

To get to "propaganda" the presence of a knowing and dedicated intention to misinform is necessary.

I believe your last stentence is erroneous. Propaganda can be (and usually is) judged by its content (or lack thereof). I believe McGentrix' characterization is indeed true of most of your posts and certainly true of their cumulative central tendency.

You appear to be hiding behind the facts that (1) most of your material isn't original: it is instead the selected and borrowed stuff of favored others whose opinions (or excerpts) you find favorable to views you wish to advance; and (2) that you generally are careful to identify the of sources from which you get most of it - almost all of which is contemporary commentary from sources with well-known perspectives and points of view, generally favorable yo your own
Your lack of originality and faithful references to sources are no defense to the charge of propaganda. You select those statements, facts and expressions solely to further the points and interpretations you wish to advance, and seldom, if ever, note or even acknowledge the existence or substance behind opposing views. Your only quotes from conservative sources are stuff taken out of context to serve as targets for attack. Nothing else is observed. Yours is decidedly not a search for understanding or interesting different perspectives on things. Instead it is a monotone, strident polemic devoted entirely to a single point of view and perspective regarding the internal affairs of a country not your own.

You also repeatedly indulge in sophomoric fantasies about the supposed subconscious intent behind the ordinary metaphors used by your political opponents with never an analogous curiosity exhibited towards those of those you favor - yet another identifiable hallmark of mere propaganda.

I find all of this a bit creepy. Why do you invest so much energy in this ****? What do you get out of it? Is prominence in this little teapot of particular importance to you?

Here's a definition of the term, "propaganda" from Wiki;
Quote:
Propaganda is information that is not objective and is used primarily to influence an audience and further an agenda, often by presenting facts selectively (perhaps lying by omission) to encourage a particular synthesis or perception, or using loaded messages or "loaded language" to produce an emotional rather than a rational response to the information that is presented.[2] Propaganda is often associated with material prepared by governments, but activist groups and companies can also produce propaganda

It fits your stuff to a "t".

Like many propagandists, of an authoritarian bent, you like to define such terms to further your ends, and you have devoted considerable effort to the meaning of the term propaganda as well. But that too was mere propaganda.

cicerone imposter

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 05:37 pm
@blatham,
It's good to see that the Trump/Pence administration's approval rating continues to hit new depths. I'm sure many who voted for them are now suffering buyer's remorse.

Even world leaders are speaking out against Trump's ban, and many of our allies.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/30/politics/trump-travel-ban-world-reaction/index.html

Beyond all that, it's against our Constitution to deny people of different religions entry into our country.
Quote:
Constitutional freedom of religion
In the United States, freedom of religion is a constitutionally protected right provided in the religion clauses of the First Amendment.

Freedom of religion in the United States - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_religion_in_the_United_States

There are laws against crime in the United States. Religion is not a crime.
layman

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 05:42 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
Here's a definition of the term, "propaganda" from Wiki;

Quote:
Propaganda is information that is not objective and is used primarily to influence an audience and further an agenda, often by presenting facts selectively (perhaps lying by omission) to encourage a particular synthesis or perception, or using loaded messages or "loaded language" to produce an emotional rather than a rational response to the information that is presented.[2] Propaganda is often associated with material prepared by governments, but activist groups and companies can also produce propaganda

It fits your stuff to a "t".

Exactly, George.
0 Replies

revelette1

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 05:48 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
gotta practice musket loading down at the monthly militia meeting

Thanks, needed a chuckle.
oralloy

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 06:25 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
One obvious argument comes from the words of the amendment:
Quote:
... being necessary to the security of a free State...

The militia is concerned with state security — defense of the country from hostile forces (probably external). Nothing is stated concerning self defense, hunting, tax resistance, or recreational shooting — why? Because firearm ownership was simply part of the home economy if you were farming, homesteading, or living on the frontier. It didn't represent an "issue"

Actually at the time the Constitution and Bill of Rights was created, we had already had the right to keep and bear arms for about 100 years, and it was very clearly a right that applied to the entire general populace.

hightor wrote:
having a civilian army did represent something new. That was revolutionary.

Actually at the time the Constitution and Bill of Rights was created, we had been using militia to defend ourselves for about 600 years.

hightor wrote:
I'd discuss more of your points in depth but I've gotta go — gotta practice musket loading down at the monthly militia meeting.

The Second Amendment applies to modern military weapons. Today that means M-16s (and not semi-auto-only variants) with under-barrel grenade launchers.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 06:27 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
hightor wrote:
gotta practice musket loading down at the monthly militia meeting.

Thanks, needed a chuckle.

Does the First Amendment apply only to text written with a quill and ink?
roger

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 06:48 pm
@oralloy,
No, they also had printing presses back then. Might not apply to radio, television, internet, audio/visual recordings, and cell phone usage. Same for the 4th Amendment, of course.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 07:34 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Beyond all that, it's against our Constitution to deny people of different religions entry into our country.

You are dead wrong on the facts here cicerone. Our constitution provides no protection whatever to thse who seek entry or residence in this country.
blatham

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 07:39 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Like many propagandists, of an authoritarian bent, you like to define such terms to further your ends, and you have devoted considerable effort to the meaning of the term propaganda as well. But that too was mere propaganda.

Yes dear.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 07:41 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Even world leaders are speaking out against Trump's ban, and many of our allies.

They are indeed. And citizen populations as well.
0 Replies

blatham

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 07:44 pm
Half time was possibly the most expensive satanic ritual performed outside of some early Vatican stuff.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 07:53 pm
@georgeob1,
Are you a Constitutional lawyer, george?
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/trump-anti-muslim-proposal-probably-illegal

Quote:
Assessing Trump’s plan, Stanford Law professor Jenny Martinez said “Excluding all people of a particular religion from entering the country on the sole basis of their religion would, in my view, clearly violate the Constitution’s guarantee of equal protection.”
cicerone imposter

Sun 5 Feb, 2017 08:17 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I should have added the second paragraph that applied to us Japanese Americans.

Quote:

Martinez, an expert in international law, added that the only legal support for such an approach comes in older, discredited cases. “To the extent there are precedents for this kind of blanket discrimination,” she told MSNBC, “they are ones, like the Japanese internment camps upheld by the Supreme Court in Korematsu, which all reasonable constitutional experts consider tragic mistakes that we should not repeat.”
0 Replies