monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

coldjoint

Wed 12 Feb, 2020 06:19 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
I'm sure you wouldn't describe your wife, an employee of the federal government that way.

Not many men are prepared to say anything bad about their wives, they (wives) are there in the morning.
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 12 Feb, 2020 06:22 pm
@InfraBlue,
Of course, the chief magistrate is elected, not appointed. You didn't get the memo? This is the United States. Eliminating the Electoral College would marginalize those states with small populations, which is what the Electoral College was created to avoid. While you are bloviating, perhaps you could explain what any of that had to do with slavery.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Wed 12 Feb, 2020 06:32 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

That is an amazingly broad statement. Do you actually know any of these people? I do and they don't fit your description. Are you sure you were a Navy Nuc? I worked with a lot of government folks in my Navy days and certainly didn't come off with that opinion.

My entire career was DoD...we were not union..we couldn't belong to a union or participate in a labor strike. That being said, we did benefit from union negotiated agreements like pay raises, cola increases......However, we did not receive overtime unless Congress approves.. In other words, if all hell breaks out somewhere, many employees will be put on 12 hour shifts...or round the clock 8 hour shifts.....You didn't receive overtime until Congress agreed. And it never happened quickly...and you didn't get retroactive overtime. This was strictly for the civilian workforce, military personnel don't receive overtime pay.

When we were recruited, responsibilities and obligations were explained...We could be sent anywhere in the world if management ordered us. The only way you could turn down the assignment was by resigning. If you worked in DC you were probably were better paid than if you worked somewhere in Tennessee for the Dept. of Agriculture. But, the skill set you need for intell work is different, Intel Agencies employ mathematicians, crypto linguists, engineers, polyglots, ELINT, FISINT, and probably a whole ton of new "--INTS". It doesn't mean Agriculture is less important or their employees aren't skilled, they also employ scientists and a ton of other skilled people.

DOD personnel also submit to routine polygraph exams, routine background checks and our financial records are scrutinized. I don't know what type of people George deals with or dealt with....however, I find it hard to believe.

coldjoint

Wed 12 Feb, 2020 07:06 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
DOD personnel also submit to routine polygraph exams, routine background checks and our financial records are scrutinized. I don't know what type of people George deals with or dealt with....however, I find it hard to believe.

Trump should let the people know who are replacing the ones he fires that is part of the job. I'm sure the DOD needs an attitude adjustment too.
glitterbag

Wed 12 Feb, 2020 07:18 pm
@coldjoint,
I can't decipher what it is you trying to say. I guess you are in a rush to say something scathing......give yourself a few beats more...one of these times you might actually do it.
coldjoint

Wed 12 Feb, 2020 07:33 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
I guess you are in a rush to say something scathing.

I rushed nothing. Obama emasculated the military, Trump is fixing it.
0 Replies

Builder

Wed 12 Feb, 2020 08:32 pm
Quote:
Instead of marginalizing those states with small populations, the Electoral College has marginalized voters in states with large populations.

Still butthurt re the "popular vote" not cutting the custard for Clinton, hey?

The EC did not marginalize states with small populations at all.

It leveled out the playing field, as it was intended to do.

If you think California is the only state which matters, what part of "united" are you having trouble comprehending?
snood

Wed 12 Feb, 2020 08:39 pm
@Builder,
What is your main argument against counting everyone’s vote as ‘1’?
Builder

Wed 12 Feb, 2020 08:43 pm
@snood,
The same as the founding "father's" reason.

The major population centres would always decide the outcome of a national election.

In today's political climate, I think it's rather pointless to have a single elected representative, vis-a-vis a president, per se, but look to northern European examples, and have several disparate parties "in charge" and use direct democracy to help decide major issues affecting every citizen.

The two-party system (in short) is outdated, and untenable.
oralloy

Wed 12 Feb, 2020 08:58 pm
@snood,
If you still divide the vote up into electoral districts, there is no objection against doing it.

If you mean to do it by abolishing the electoral college though, the argument against it is that it allows Democrats to cheat and manipulate elections, which is bad.
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 12 Feb, 2020 08:59 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
The problem with the Electoral College is that it has disenfranchised large numbers of voters for the sake of the interests of small states. Changing the policy of winner-take-all might counter the effect of Electoral College disenfranchisement.

I presume that you are referring to the disparity in voting weight between small and large states.

The disparity between large and small states stems from the fact that each state is guaranteed one congressman no matter how small the state is. If a state's population is only large enough to award them a tenth of a congressman, they still get one entire congressman.

Getting rid of winner-take-all would not address that issue in any way whatsoever.

However, ratifying the Apportionment Amendment would solve the problem. The Apportionment Amendment would dramatically increase the number of congressmen so that the US would have thousands of congressmen, each serving a much smaller congressional district.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congressional_Apportionment_Amendment

Dividing congressional representation into much smaller slices would eliminate the problem of congressional districts being larger than a small state.

Another source of the problem is the fact that states get two senators no matter how small they are. But this too would be resolved by the Apportionment Amendment.

If the Apportionment Amendment is ratified, high-population states will have so many congressmen awarded to them that the number of senators will be trivially small compared to the number of congressmen.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Wed 12 Feb, 2020 10:02 pm
@engineer,
She works with a person that purposefully did not do a report because if they did, they would not get help doing it in the future. It takes 30 minutes to complete and was 2 weeks over due.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Wed 12 Feb, 2020 10:56 pm
@Builder,
It's not about your Clinton fixation. It's about marginalizing voters in heavily populated states for the sake of less populated states.

Yeah, like I said, the EC did not marginalize states with small populations at all, it marginalized voters in states with large populations.

It didn't level the playing field, it skewed it in favor of the small states.

This isn't about California. What's beyond your grasp is the fact that "united" comprehends California.
Olivier5

Thu 13 Feb, 2020 01:49 am
@Builder,
Quote:
The major population centres would always decide the outcome of a national election.

This argument is ridiculous. Population centers don't vote. People vote. A system where all votes are equal is evidently fairer than one where some votes are 'more equal than others'.
Builder

Thu 13 Feb, 2020 01:52 am
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
It's not about your Clinton fixation

It was more about Obama's insolence, and him blaming his "poor judgement" on his SoS than any kind of fixation in your imagination. It's not my place to be thinking about your fixation on my posts. Sorry 'bout that.

Quote:
It didn't level the playing field, it skewed it in favor of the small states.

The EC does not skew the decision in any one direction. Your claim was that it gives the small states greater influence, when clearly it does not. You still haven't justified that claim, despite ten attempts now. Knock yourself out.

Quote:
This isn't about California.

If your focus is on the popular vote, then it most certainly is about
Cali.

Quote:
What's beyond your grasp is the fact that "united" comprehends California.

Why would comprehending Cali be beyond my grasp?

Extrapolate on that claim of yours.
glitterbag

Thu 13 Feb, 2020 02:13 am
Olivier5 wrote:

Since you're back, you've kept insulting perfectly fine people and tried to pick a fight with a number of others, including moi. I feel sorry for you. Maybe you should see a therapist.

Can you just deal with the topic and not resort to personal insults? And, really!! what do you hope to accomplish by calling someone honey?.....

Don't feel sorry for others, get your own house in order......having a different opinion is not the same as picking a fight...

Builder

Thu 13 Feb, 2020 03:44 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Can you just deal with the topic and not resort to personal insults?

Who is this? Did you steal glitter's puter?
0 Replies

Olivier5

Thu 13 Feb, 2020 03:50 am
@glitterbag,
In my mind, there's a difference between speaking tongue in cheek and downright insulting people. But folks raised by a pack of wolves may disagree.
Olivier5

Thu 13 Feb, 2020 03:54 am
What are you trying yo say, Builder? That Australia goes by the principle of one person = one vote? Why, good for you.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 13 Feb, 2020 04:16 am
Quote:
Incidents of white supremacist material being spread across the US rose by 120% in 2019, according to the Anti-Defamation League (ADL).

It was the second year that the circulation of racist and nationalist posters and banners more than doubled, the hate monitoring group said.

One Texas-based group was responsible for two-thirds of all propaganda.

The ADL found that white supremacists held 20% fewer events, "preferring not to risk the exposure" to the public.

The ADL Center on Extremism's report released on Wednesday documented 2,713 cases of propaganda in the past year, compared to 1,214 cases in 2018. The cases amounted to an average of seven reported incidents per day.

University campuses were frequent targets, the ADL found, with all but seven out of 50 states reporting incidents of banners, posters and flyers.

"The data is unmistakable. White supremacists are doubling down on their efforts to promote messages of hate and recruit new members," said the ADL, which was founded in 1913 to combat anti-Semitism.

"The barrage of propaganda, which overwhelmingly features veiled white supremacist language with a patriotic slant, is an effort to normalise white supremacists' message and bolster recruitment efforts while targeting minority groups including Jews, Blacks, Muslims, non-white immigrants and the LGBTQ community," the statement added.

Center on Extremism Director Oren Segal told the Associated Press that the groups are making an effort to emphasise "patriotism" in an attempt "to make their hate more palatable for a 2020 audience".

Last week, FBI Director Christopher Wray acknowledged that racist extremists in the US are now considered a "national threat priority" presenting the same danger as foreign terror organisations such as the so-called Islamic State.

About 90% of all incidents came from three groups - Patriot Front, American Identity Movement and the New Jersey European Heritage Association.

The Texas-based Patriot Front - responsible for around 66% of racist propaganda - was formed in August 2017. The ADL describes it as "formed by disaffected members" of the white supremacist organisation Vanguard America after the Charlottesville rally in 2017, in which a counter-protester was killed by a white supremacist.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51480500