monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Sat 4 Feb, 2017 01:44 pm
@farmerman,
I do. The only stipulation is that you put up the courier and his family for on year.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 4 Feb, 2017 01:47 pm
I rant a lot about Jay Rosen. If you'd like to watch/here him, the following link is to a talk he just gave at St Michaels College. You can attend to the intro or just go right to Jay at 4:40 (time indicator bottom right)
HERE
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Sat 4 Feb, 2017 01:54 pm
@blatham,
Bernie, I just now read the Garry Wills piece on Trump hair. It brightened my day.

artifact - reminds me of my days reading slides in a dark room w/fluorescent microscope. Fluorescent, another possible Trump descriptive.

https://www.nybooks.com/daily/2017/02/01/emperors-hairdo-trump/

adds... I see I already mentioned my microscope days earlier in the flow of posts, oops.
giujohn

Sat 4 Feb, 2017 02:24 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Quote:
I suggest rat poison
Ive always said that cops were one nucleotide away from the criminals they arrest

Yes, yes, we know...You're a cop hater...So next time you're in trouble call a liberal.
0 Replies

giujohn

Sat 4 Feb, 2017 02:37 pm
@Frugal1,
Frugal1 wrote:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C31CKxlUMAAjeCE.jpg:large

This one bears repeating...That is some funny ****.
0 Replies

giujohn

Sat 4 Feb, 2017 02:42 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

This AM I was at an antiques fair in Coastal Maryland. The big topic of conversation had the key phrae
"I think weve made a deal with the devil" when vendors would speaak with customers.

Most antique dealers arent in the business full time. They are usually retirees who do this for entertainment or to supplement thir incomes. Most have wisely survived with thir investments during the 2009 through the present. When they heard that Der umpster was going to eviscerate Dodd-Frand, they mostly greeted that with horror.
"I thought he was for the little guy"? Now here he is in bed with Wall Street. Isnt that the same thing he accused Hillary"??

WEVE MADE A DEAL WITH THE DEVIL--Many of those who voted for Trump are now second thinking.

Oh bullshit...That's just wishful thinking on the part of you snowFLAKES. And ya know what ya got with that in one hand and **** in the other, right?

The reality is when ever he goes there is standing room only and deafening cheers. What do people do when you come round? Nevermind...I pretty much can guess.
0 Replies

giujohn

Sat 4 Feb, 2017 02:44 pm
@Frugal1,
Frugal1 wrote:

I'm starting to catch on to this phenomenon:
liberals think everyone hates Trump because liberals only talk to each other....

Or to themselves.. Mostly.
0 Replies

giujohn

Sat 4 Feb, 2017 02:48 pm
@blatham,
Response moderated: Personal attack. See more info.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Sat 4 Feb, 2017 02:55 pm
@farmerman,
Vey ist mir

Please don't take my facile (on occasion) use of yiddish as ever any kind of taunt.

Some of....... oh, never mind.

Bannon is a nightmare and daymare in person and in power.
glitterbag

Sat 4 Feb, 2017 03:16 pm
@ossobucotemp,
My family came from Baltimore and I was exposed to many languages and of course Yiddish. Even Irish grandmothers used Yiddish words.....sometimes it was the best way to make a point. And everyone knew the correct pronunciation of Chutzpah, unlike poor Michelle Bachmann, that shmendrik (an't remember the word for female)
blatham

Sat 4 Feb, 2017 03:17 pm
@ossobucotemp,
I've been a Garry Wills fan for a long while. Anything he writes that I come across, I'll read. The NYRB has an archive you can look through for earlier pieces by an author (or by subject). Much is behind a paywall but lots is accessible for free too.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 4 Feb, 2017 03:19 pm
Just finished listening to the Jay Rosen talk. It is really bright. So I encourage folks to take the hour and attend.
layman

Sat 4 Feb, 2017 03:29 pm
@Frugal1,
Frugal1 wrote:

Nothin' but love for these brave Muslim people - stay safe.

Some Muslims are doing more than many Americans to fight Islamic terrorism

I'd like to read the rest of that, but I aint gunna subscribe. The author's credentials are interesting:

Quote:
Frumentarius is a former Navy SEAL and a former Clandestine Service officer with the Central Intelligence Agency's Counter-Terrorism Center. He has a Bachelor's degree in International Politics and a Masters in History. He is currently a professional firefighter.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sat 4 Feb, 2017 03:34 pm
@blatham,
Borders Reopen to Banned Visa Holders; Trump Attacks Judge.
Majesty Trump is trying to run this country like it's his kingdom.
layman

Sat 4 Feb, 2017 03:38 pm
@Frugal1,

Quote:
I suspect the “lone wolf” moniker will disappear as we enter the “Age of Trump”, the media has no real use for it now that he is in office.

He got that right. From now on the left will scream that "Trump can't protect us from ISIS!"

Naw, what was I thinking? They will scream: "We TOLD you that you were gunna piss them off! You're endangering all Americans by trying to resist them."
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 4 Feb, 2017 04:20 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yes, he is.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 4 Feb, 2017 04:21 pm
A couple of days ago, ehBeth send me a link to a CBC radio interview with David Frum. It is excellent!
http://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/the-current-for-february-2-2017-1.3962070/how-trump-can-build-a-u-s-autocracy-david-frum-1.3962090
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Sat 4 Feb, 2017 04:26 pm
@glitterbag,
I get you.
0 Replies

layman

Sat 4 Feb, 2017 04:31 pm
Someone, Blathy, no doubt, but I don't care to check to confirm that, suggested that Trump was failing to show "proper respect" when characterizing the judge as a "so-called" judge.

Well, yeah, but, then again, he gave him all the respect he was entitled to, I figure.

Bannon reportedly saw Andrew Jackson in Trump. I have made similar observations before hearing Bannon's comparison.

But, here, Trump was much more "respectful" to the court than Jackson would ever be.

When the U.S Supreme Court made a ruling he didn't like (and had no intention of obeying) Jackson reportedly said:

"So that's their ruling, eh? OK, now let's see those candyass motherfuckers try to ENFORCE it."
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Sat 4 Feb, 2017 04:42 pm
@glitterbag,
Especially in Los Angeles. An uncle, irish, plopped down in LA in some time re 1920 and much happened after that. In my childhood, we had jewish friends.
My take, from here now long ago is that this all varied. Sure, a lot of using, but not all. That was not my favorite uncle.

0 Replies