monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

edgarblythe

Sat 26 Nov, 2016 06:02 pm
A person I know refused to vote, because he hated both candidates. Lately he is warming to Trump. "He seems to be like Reagan" for a reason related to his not taking bullshit. Then he launched into illegal immigrants. "It's all about upholding the law," he said at one point. But, it turns out, he means law just for illegals, as the misdemeanor crime of crossing the border would be met by him with the felony act of murder as they came across. These be ugly times.
wmwcjr

Sat 26 Nov, 2016 06:13 pm
@roger,
You may have misunderstood me. Of course, both Hillary and Bill Clinton have had moral deficiencies. In 1992 I didn't vote for anyone, and in 1996 I voted for Dole because of the Clinton scandals and becase, unlike many other conservative Republicans, Dole had actually supported civil rights legislation when he was a Congressman. Besides, he told funny jokes. In this presidential election, I cast a protest vote for Evan McMullin; but I knew, just knew that Trump would win.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 26 Nov, 2016 06:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
"It's all about upholding the law,"

Ain't that one a dilly. First, there's the matter of what becomes law. For example, here in BC our drug laws were first legislated coincident with Chinese immigration. Some dude passed out in an alley near the liquor outlet was sort of unpleasant but a Chinaman unconscious in an opium den was frighteningly alien.

Then there's the matter of when breaking laws aren't really worth attending to or are really quite excusable, like cheating on your taxes or torturing people or such.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Sat 26 Nov, 2016 06:22 pm
@blatham,
I agree.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Sat 26 Nov, 2016 06:25 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

And more on DeVos

As I said earlier, this appointment is a sop to the religious right (one of the extreme ends of it). Whether her name was pushed by Jim DeMint or someone else, it is another manifestation of movement conservatives frightening level of power in DC now. None of us has any reason to believe that Trump cares a whit about education as he's displayed no interest in it (or in the children and adolescents in the system). The motivation here is consolidation of his power through appeasing the modern hierarchy of power/influence in the party/movement.

Do you claim to know Trump's inner thoughts about the effectiveness of America's public schools? If so what is your basis for such claims ?

You have the very bad habit of dressing your unfounded imaginings up with the currently fashionable words & phrases apparently borrowed from the bloggers you frequent. You certainly don't know Trump's motives or those of anyone else for that matter. Certainly the very dismal results achieved by our very expensive public schools and the very contrasting results achieved by charter schools is enough evidence to persuate any intelligent obdserver, and constitute a far more plausible explanation than the nonsense you have been offering us here.

I increasingly find very little evidence of anything but intense prejudice and a preconceived perspective in your offerings on these matters. Certainly they contain very little reporting of facts or evidence of curiosity about new events, and even less intelligent analysis or accurately labeled spectulation about them. Most of it is cut and pasted opinion of others, combined with your own overheated imaginings, all involving the same very shopworn theories about "movement conservastism" etc. and none of it ever balanced with consideration of simiular things in other contexts. I find no intellectual content in them if that is your conceit. Do you actually think that stuff constiututes a meaningful contribution to any intelligent discussion?

blatham

Sat 26 Nov, 2016 06:29 pm
@georgeob1,
Well, my degree is in education. Both brothers were educators and administrators, both functioned as consultants with the provincial government and were well versed in educational projects and results in many states and nations.

But aside from that, feel free to ignore what I write, george.
0 Replies

layman

Sat 26 Nov, 2016 06:31 pm

Who cares if we fail to secure our borders, eh? Aint no thang.
0 Replies

layman

Sat 26 Nov, 2016 06:36 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

I increasingly find very little evidence of anything but intense prejudice and a preconceived perspective in your offerings on these matters. Certainly they contain very little reporting of facts or evidence of curiosity about new events, and even less intelligent analysis or accurately labeled spectulation about them. Most of it is cut and pasted opinion of others, combined with your own overheated imaginings, all involving the same very shopworn theories about "movement conservastism" etc. and none of it ever balanced with consideration of simiular things in other contexts. I find no intellectual content in them if that is your conceit. Do you actually think that stuff constiututes a meaningful contribution to any intelligent discussion?

Says it all, George. Very astute.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 26 Nov, 2016 06:41 pm
From the piece on education noted above:
Quote:
With so much incentive to make money and so little regulation or oversight, fraud and graft are inevitable. Just this past summer, the founder of the Pennsylvania Cyber Charter School admitted that he had stolen $8 million from the company for his own use. Cyber charters are amazingly lucrative and unpoliced. The largest of them, K12 Inc., was founded by ex-financier Michael Milken and is listed on the New York Stock Exchange. Its academic results are poor, but it is very profitable. Each student gets a computer and an online teacher. The company collects full state tuition, even though it has none of the expenses of a real school, like custodians, transportation, a library, a social worker, groundskeepers, heat, or other utilities.

A for-profit cyber charter in Ohio—the Electronic Classroom of Tomorrow (ECOT)—is known for very poor performance. It has the lowest graduation rate of any high school in the nation (20 percent), and it recently fought in court and lost, trying to prevent the state from auditing its attendance rates, which were grossly inflated. The state is now trying to recoup at least $60 million from the school for students who never logged on to their home computers. The owner of ECOT is one of the state’s biggest donors to elected officials who control state government, and until now, has never been held accountable for either attendance or the quality of education it provides.

And:
Quote:
In his final chapters, Abrams offers Finland as a nation that has chosen a different path and avoided school choice. It performs well on international tests, even though its students seldom encounter standardized tests. Its national goal is to make every school a good school. Teaching is a highly respected profession, requiring five years of education and preparation. While many American schools have abandoned recess to make more time for testing, Finnish schools offer recess after every class. While American students begin learning their letters and numbers in kindergarten or even in pre-kindergarten, Finnish students do not begin formal instruction in reading and mathematics until they reach the age of seven. Until then, the focus in school is on play. The schools emphasize creativity, joy in learning, the arts, and physical education. Child poverty is low, and children get free medical care. Teachers are trusted to write their own tests. Critics say that American society is too diverse to copy a nation that is homogeneous, but it is hard to see why racial and social diversity cancels out the value of anything done in Finnish schools to make children healthier, happier, and more engaged in learning.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 26 Nov, 2016 06:51 pm
I suppose we ought to toss in the Jill Stein recount thing because it looks likely to cause a lot of heat (already started).

First, I don't know why the hell she's doing this but it seems a rather silly initiative. Results of the election won't change.

But it would be entirely valid, and necessary I think, to do investigations looking into whether and how either voting totals were effected by hackers and whether and how American citizens were misled by hackers, particularly if they were working out of Russia. There's certainly compelling evidence that these hacks were meant to influence the outcome of the election and that's no small thing at all.
blatham

Sat 26 Nov, 2016 07:36 pm
Quote:
David Frum ‏@davidfrum 5h5 hours ago
Trump won according to the rules, but if I were his team, I'd go ixnay on "the people have spoken" bit. Reality is just the reverse

Frum's right, of course, given the popular vote. So why would Trump's team and its supporters forward that notion?

Possibly because they want to pretty much erase the last century of social and political progress in the nation. Such an agenda has gotta be attended by a mythology of massive consensus.
ehBeth

Sat 26 Nov, 2016 07:38 pm
@blatham,
more and more I want to see Sarah Palin and her snowmobile arrive in D.C.
reasoning logic

Sat 26 Nov, 2016 07:39 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Results of the election won't change.

Do you have evidence for this claim?
georgeob1

Sat 26 Nov, 2016 07:46 pm
@reasoning logic,
I'm inclined to agree with the proposition. There is no specific evidence of fraud - only some differences of uncertain statistical significance between results from precincts in PA with paper ballots and those with voting machines. Moreover the probability of a reversal in all three states is both vanishingly small and insufficient.

However I'm happy to see the recount continue. It delays any constructive resassessment on the part of Democrats and makes them look bad while it continues.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 26 Nov, 2016 08:23 pm
Ronald Brownstein
‏@RonBrownstein Ronald Brownstein Retweeted Dave Wasserman
HRC pop vote lead now moving toward 2 percentage points, 2.5 million (or more) votes.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 26 Nov, 2016 08:24 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
more and more I want to see Sarah Palin and her snowmobile arrive in D.C.

Delicious notion. She was Bannon's great white hope prior to Trump.

Alternately, if she and family were to pour out of their Hummer, beer bottles in hand, and start beating on media people...
blatham

Sat 26 Nov, 2016 08:29 pm
Quote:
But a closer look reveals that some of the biggest fake news providers were run by experienced political operators well within the orbit of Donald Trump’s political advisers and consultants.

Laura Ingraham, a close Trump ally currently under consideration to be Trump’s White House press secretary, owns an online publisher called Ingraham Media Group that runs a number of sites, including LifeZette, a news site that frequently posts articles of dubious veracity. One video produced by LifeZette this summer, ominously titled “Clinton Body Count,” promoted a conspiracy theory that the Clinton family had some role in the plane crash death of John F. Kennedy, Jr., as well as the deaths of various friends and Democrats.
...Another LifeZette video, picking up false claims from other sites, claimed that voting machines “might be compromised” because a voting machine company called Smartmatic, allegedly providing voting machines “in sixteen states,” was purchased by the liberal billionaire George Soros. Soros never purchased the company, and Smartmatic did not provide voting machines used in the general election.
http://bit.ly/2gtLiSd
What the heck. Free speech and all that.

ps... lots more like that at link. Do attend if you give a crap about emerging propaganda techniques.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sat 26 Nov, 2016 08:30 pm
@blatham,
The cognitive dissonance in the GOP right now has got to be shattering a few minds.

Elected Mr. Super-Elite to help Joe the Plumber.

Most excellent.

I quite like it.

__

Truthfully, I'm not interested in Mr. Trump or what happens to the US overall over the next 3 - 6 years. Time for all parties to get themselves sorted with people under 30. Buncha old white people - they're dying out and becoming increasingly irrelevant.

We've seen it happen up here - and I really like the results. Wait til you see me cheerlead for my old buddy, Charlie Angus. Smile
ehBeth

Sat 26 Nov, 2016 08:38 pm
oldish (but perfect) assessment of the Pence/Hamilton giggity giggity

http://www.vulture.com/2016/11/why-the-hamilton-pence-incident-matters.html

Quote:
Don’t underestimate the degree to which a black man, poised and unflappably calm, speaking truth about the hopes of a nation to a white politician is exactly the kind of nightmare from which some of Trump’s voters thought they were finally awakening.

<snip of some good stuff to read>

Quote:
anybody who walks through the doors of a theater should be prepared to have preconceptions challenged, beliefs questioned, certitudes shaken, ideas adjusted, worldviews broadened, and perspectives shifted. People who consider that a threat to their safety should probably stay away from theater and the rest of popular culture altogether. For the rest of us, that’s not only safe, it’s essential.

You can do two things if you’re on a stage: Show or tell. There are those who feel Hamilton should have stuck with the first; instead, the cast and production team chose, for one night, to do both. While this is going to be a very long and ugly fight, I'd award them a narrow victory-by-decision in Culture Wars, Round One. They saw an extraordinary circumstance looming before them, they stood up, they represented themselves and others with firmness and dignity, and they sparked plenty of meaningful, non-distracting dialogue by doing so. Chances to speak truth directly to power, even when power turns its back and starts walking up the aisle, may be rarer than we would wish in the next four years. When the opportunity comes along, there’s much to be said for not throwing away your shot.
blatham

Sat 26 Nov, 2016 08:43 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
The cognitive dissonance in the GOP right now has got to be shattering a few minds.
Elected Mr. Super-Elite to help Joe the Plumber.

What knocks me sideways is how little of this I am witnessing. That's scary. There's a memory hole here that would have boggled Orwell.
Quote:
Truthfully, I'm not interested in Mr. Trump or what happens to the US overall over the next 3 - 6 years.

In this, I envy you. "buncha old white people". Yes. And to think I used to be proud of being a boomer.

Confess I had to look up Angus. Read a piece today on Kellie Leitch. She's repugnant and following the US conservative playbook down to the letter.