monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

revelette3

Fri 24 Jan, 2020 10:41 am
@blatham,
Wow, pretty clear we are not wanted there. We made the mess, I think in a way we are responsible. We may have to leave enough of a special troops there to help in the fight of ISIS, (should have stayed in Syria, maybe with a new democrat President, that can be corrected?)but otherwise, I think we should stay out of their internal political/government life.
izzythepush

Fri 24 Jan, 2020 11:16 am
@revelette3,
revelette3 wrote:

(should have stayed in Syria, maybe with a new democrat President, that can be corrected?)

No. The Syrian president Assad is supported by Russia, and they're not going to let democracy take root.

0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 24 Jan, 2020 11:16 am
@revelette3,
We sacrificed a lot in order to topple an evil dictator and give them democracy.

They made the mess.

We don't owe anybody anything.

Cut a deal with Islamic State that as long as they leave the West (including Israel) alone, we'll leave them alone. Then, so long as they leave us alone, leave them alone.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 24 Jan, 2020 11:57 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
It's got to be better than this.

No argument from me.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 24 Jan, 2020 12:03 pm
@revelette3,
I don't have good answers for these complex problems. But I think Greenspan got it right when he said that it's unfortunate we can't admit that the war in Iraq was about oil. And that applies, it seems, to most of the West's involvement in the middle east. The least we can do is try to assess such motivations honestly.
oralloy

Fri 24 Jan, 2020 12:15 pm
@blatham,
That's OK. I provided the answers. All you really need to do is yell "Hey look everyone! I think what Oralloy thinks!" and you'll be all set.
0 Replies

hightor

Fri 24 Jan, 2020 12:29 pm
@revelette3,
Quote:
We may have to leave enough of a special troops there to help in the fight of ISIS, (should have stayed in Syria, maybe with a new democrat President, that can be corrected?)...

This is another example of potential problems for a Democratic president following Trump. Besides attempting to reinstate environmental, labor, and financial regulations (which will be extremely difficult), raise taxes to shore up the big social programs left seriously imperiled by Trump's irresponsible deficit-raising tax cuts (close to impossible), a sizeable redeployment of troops to face an emergency in the Mideast will be pretty impracticable as well. Some will say we should just sit on our hands, it's none of our business. I wish it were none of our business, but the fact is our interference is at the base of much of the regional conflict in the area.
oralloy

Fri 24 Jan, 2020 12:36 pm
@hightor,
No. We are not in any way responsible for Arab aggression and malfeasance.

Their problems are not our problems. The only thing we should worry about in the Middle East is protecting and defending Israel.

And the Democrats don't need to worry about managing things after Mr. Trump. The voters are going to elect another Republican to carry on his legacy when he leaves office in 2025.
Sturgis

Fri 24 Jan, 2020 12:44 pm
@oralloy,
In truth oralloy, the U.S. Is very much responsible and involved. The U.S. has been sticking its nose and fingers into the Middle East (and elsewhere) for a long time) dangling incentives such as cash and weapons. Installing "leaders" (some of whom we later declare to be the enemy).
oralloy

Fri 24 Jan, 2020 12:47 pm
@Sturgis,
That is incorrect. We are not responsible for Arab malfeasance.

If Democrats want to get a bunch of American soldiers killed in the Middle East because of some sense of phony responsibility, that's one more reason to vote for Mr. Trump.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Fri 24 Jan, 2020 12:49 pm
@Sturgis,
Trump Dismisses Troops’ Possible Brain Injuries as ‘Headaches’

Trump Downplays U.S. Soldiers' Head Injuries, But Combat Brain Trauma Can Be Serious

Trump to American Troops in Iraq: Your Brain Injuries Aren’t That Bad
Quote:
President Donald Trump downplayed the possible traumatic brain injuries suffered by nearly a dozen US troops earlier this month after Iran fired missiles at two military bases in Iraq. “I heard that they had headaches, and a couple of other things,” he told reporters at the World Economic Forum in Davos. “But I would say, and I can report, that it is not very serious.”

Last week, the Pentagon confirmed that 11 soldiers at Ain al-Asad air base in western Iraq had suffered concussions and were being screened for traumatic brain injury, contradicting Trump’s initial assessment following the attack that “no Americans were harmed.”

That number is up to 34 according to the NY Times.
34 Troops Have Brain Injuries From Iranian Missile Strike, Pentagon Says

Walter Hinteler

Fri 24 Jan, 2020 12:52 pm
@Walter Hinteler,

34 Troops Have Brain Injuries From Iranian Missile Strike, Pentagon Says
Quote:
WASHINGTON — The Defense Department said Friday that 34 American service members have traumatic brain injuries from Iranian airstrikes on Al Asad Air Base in Iraq, contradicting President Trump’s dismissal of injuries among American troops earlier this week.

Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman told a news conference that eight of the affected service members have returned to the United States from an American military hospital in Germany.

Mr. Trump on Wednesday dismissed concussion symptoms felt by the troops as “not very serious,” even as the Pentagon acknowledged that a number of American service members were being studied for possible traumatic brain injury caused by the attack.

“I heard they had headaches,” Mr. Trump told a news conference in Davos, Switzerland. “I don’t consider them very serious injuries relative to other injuries I have seen.”

The comments of the president, who avoided the Vietnam War draft thanks to a diagnosis of bone spurs, drew swift criticism from veterans groups.
izzythepush

Fri 24 Jan, 2020 12:53 pm
@Sturgis,
It's bigger than that, they don't think the same way. It's not so much about nation states as Western Imperialism. As far as they're concerned America was involved in the Crusades. You never got a clean sheet from the Arab World when you declared independence.

America is responsible for the Crusades, and the actions of the British and French Empires in the last couple of centuries. From their point of view the only thing that's changed are the accents.

That's the mindset you're dealing with.
blatham

Fri 24 Jan, 2020 12:56 pm
@tsarstepan,
This is a PR problem for the sociopath. As if he gives a damn about those soldiers or any other soldiers. Is there any evidence from this man's past that demonstrates empathy for others? I don't know of it. But the examples of him bullying, seeking vengeance, insulting others and always working towards his own advantage are countless.
Sturgis

Fri 24 Jan, 2020 01:01 pm
@izzythepush,
True.

If only more folks could comprehend this and acknowledge as well. The never ceasing crowing by the U.S. of how it is somehow superior to all other nations (and probably galaxies and universes as well) with never a smidgen of humility, does not endear us to others.
blatham

Fri 24 Jan, 2020 01:01 pm
Quote:
White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham said Friday that she hopes “for the country” that Trump’s impeachment trial wraps up by the end of next week with no witnesses being called.

During an appearance on Fox News, Grisham was asked if she agreed with the assessment of an earlier guest, Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio), that the trial will be wrapped up by this time next week without having heard from witnesses.

“I hope so, I do hope so. I hope so for this country,” Grisham said.

She's on Fox. Of course she's on Fox. That's the only place this "press secretary" ever appears. Because she can propagandize without challenge.

And she's really worried about the country. She cries at night when she's not praying for the country. She loves the country so much. Heck, she loves the country with such sincerity and passion that she would turn her back on Trump in an instant if he did something, you know, really bad or unethical or deceitful. That's how deep her love of country is.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Fri 24 Jan, 2020 01:02 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
But the examples of him bullying, seeking vengeance, insulting others and always working towards his own advantage are countless.

Sounds more like the garbage you post using everyone of those things you accuse the president of. Your projection and hypocrisy is well known. Only hardcore useful idiots have any interest in what you say.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Fri 24 Jan, 2020 01:05 pm
@tsarstepan,
Thanks for posting something from the fascists known as the TYT. It shows you understanding of any issue is seriously lacking.
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 24 Jan, 2020 01:40 pm
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Last week, the Pentagon confirmed that 11 soldiers at Ain al-Asad air base in western Iraq had suffered concussions and were being screened for traumatic brain injury,

Should we retaliate against Iran?
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 24 Jan, 2020 01:41 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Quote:
WASHINGTON -- The Defense Department said Friday that 34 American service members have traumatic brain injuries from Iranian airstrikes on Al Asad Air Base in Iraq,

Same question: Do you think we should retaliate against Iran?
0 Replies