monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

snood

Mon 20 Jan, 2020 09:00 am
@blatham,
I was wrong about them being in State Capital grounds. Reports say they’re just “close”. But there appears to be a lot of them. Thousands.

You think the Dotard followers going to pretend that this taking place on MLK day is just a scheduling coincidence?

The same kind of scheduling coincidence that has the *president with nothing planned to observe MLK day?
blatham

Mon 20 Jan, 2020 09:12 am
@snood,
I can't argue that isn't a factor.
blatham

Mon 20 Jan, 2020 09:13 am
Quote:
LOLGOP
@LOLGOP
Rick Santorum tried to tell you same-sex marriage would lead to the New York Times endorsing two women.
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 20 Jan, 2020 09:20 am
Alex Jones and militia this morning

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EOuosybW4AAQVGI?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Because of course.

Today's news will be focused on Virginia. For good reasons. But watch for what McConnell might get up to under cover of this fog of media focus distraction.
0 Replies

snood

Mon 20 Jan, 2020 09:28 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

I can't argue that isn't a factor.

But don’t you think a lot of rightwingers will try to claim one thing has nothing to do with the other?
blatham

Mon 20 Jan, 2020 09:34 am
Quote:
McConnell Mulls ‘Kill Switch’ for Impeachment Trial
January 20, 2020 at 8:46 am EST By Taegan Goddard 63 Comments

“Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell reportedly is close to finalizing a rule that would allow President Trump’s team to move to dismiss the articles of impeachment in the Senate quickly after some evidence has been presented, as a sort of safety valve in case Democrats try to drag out the trial for weeks,” Fox News reports.

Sen. Josh Hawley to Axios: “I am familiar with the resolution as it stood a day or two ago. My understanding is that the resolution will give the president’s team the option to either move to judgment or to move to dismiss at a meaningful time.”
politicalwire

There will be many reasons that McConnell is keeping the rules secret. This is a key reason. He has already admitted on Fox that the fix is in so that part is no surprise. Restricting or cancelling TV feeds and isolation of reporters/Senators has a similar goal - prevent press and citizens from accurately perceiving what's going on here.

Edit: Ought to add that McConnell and Trump want this over fast so they can regain control of media content negative to Trump/GOP. This becomes even more critical given the emergence of new and more incriminating evidence against Trump re Ukraine.

The goal then will be to carry forward with a broad propaganda campaign running across all significant right wing media which will carry this message:

"The impeachment failed. Trump is fully and completely exonerated. The coup didn't work. It's over. The Dems were shown to be faithless liars, still crying about losing the election. Now we will get on to the important business of running the nation and protecting citizens. Anyone who continues this baseless charade/witch trial against our proven innocent president is verging on traitorous acts"
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 20 Jan, 2020 09:37 am
@snood,
Oh yes.
blatham

Mon 20 Jan, 2020 09:50 am
Politico headline
Quote:
Bloomberg’s massive ad campaign hikes TV prices for other candidates

Undoubtedly, this is true. And such huges monies coming into media entities for elections particularly as expenditures by campaigns increase means that a key barrier to election finance reform will inevitably come from media itself (aside from all the other entities making the big money)
0 Replies

McGentrix

Mon 20 Jan, 2020 09:55 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Oh yes.

In Virginia, this day is referred to as "Lobby Day" and has traditionally been a day to redress grievances against the government.

Quote:
[urlhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobby_day]Lobby Day[/url] (also known as Advocacy Day) is a name used by non-governmental organizations (NGOs) for select days, often annual, when lay members meet politicians or public servants at various levels to advocate and explain support for legislation relevant to the NGO. While a national lobby day may be held by the national leadership of an organization, its regional or local affiliates may hold their own separate lobby days in order to not compete with the lobby.

You guys are so full of hatred and bile you are blind to what is happening. Living in your online bubble, surrounded by sycophants... geez I have edited this post so many times so as to not have it deleted...

it has nothing to do with racism, it has nothing to do with nazi's, it has nothing to do with whatever other bullshit you are piling upon it. This is what America is, people fighting the government to have their voices heard and to affect change.

izzythepush

Mon 20 Jan, 2020 10:00 am
Quote:
Two Iraqi protesters were killed on Monday in Baghdad's Tayaran Square after security forces fired live ammunition and tear gas as angry demonstrators took to the streets in force.

One protester was shot by a live round in the head while the second was hit by a tear gas canister, security sources said. Both succumbed to their wounds at the hospital. Dozens of people were also wounded.

The Iraqi government did not confirm the deaths. Al Jazeera's Osama Bin Javaid, reporting from the Baghdad demonstration, said activists took video showing seriously wounded protesters being carried away after the fierce clashes.

The violence came as security forces tried to clear roads in Iraq's capital after hundreds of protesters took to the streets to express their anger at the embattled government's slow pace of reforms.

Demonstrators a week ago gave the government until Monday to act on their demands, which include the holding of a snap poll under a new electoral law, the appointment of an independent prime minister and the prosecution of officials suspected of corruption.

The UN envoy to Iraq urged Iraqi political elites to resume pushing for reforms and for protests to remain peaceful.

"Any steps taken so far to address the people's concerns will remain hollow if they are not completed," said Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert in a statement issued by the UN. "Violent suppression of peaceful protesters is intolerable and must be avoided at all costs."

Starting Sunday and continuing on Monday, young demonstrators in Baghdad and the south began sealing off highways and bridges with burning tyres.

"We blocked the road to demand our rights ... the rights of young people to get a job," said one of the protesters in the capital, who asked to remain anonymous.

"We demand the central government go to early elections and the nomination of a new independent prime minister. If that doesn't happen, we will escalate and block all the highways and centres of the city."

Another demonstrator decried the violent tactics used by security forces to disperse the crowds.

"For months no one has listened to our demands. They are killing us. It's just bloodshed," protester Hassan Ali told Al Jazeera.

Three-wheeled taxis rescued tear gas victims and brought them to makeshift hospitals near the demonstrations.

Medics at the scene treated dozens of people who suffered from the effects of tear gas.

Jamal, a medic in Baghdad, told Al Jazeera: "We went to Tayaran Square in Baghdad. People wanted me to help them, I was also attacked by tear gas. I fell down as the security forces were using tear gas and live ammunition."

A statement from the Baghdad Operations Command said 14 officers were wounded by a group of rock-throwing "inciters of violence " while trying to secure the entrance to Tahrir Square, the epicentre of the protest movement.

"Despite these actions our forces continued to exercise restraint and follow up on the security duties assigned to them," it said.

A security official said at least nine arrests were made after the National Security Council authorised security forces to detain demonstrators blocking main thoroughfares and roundabouts.

Protests also broke out in southern Iraq, including in the cities of Nasiriya, Karbala and Amara, where demonstrators burned tyres and blocked roads.

In the southern city of Nasiriya, protesters blocked the highway linking the city to the southern oil-rich province of Basra. At least six protesters were wounded when an unknown gunmen fired at them from a speeding car, a medical official said.

The call for action by protest organisers came amid fears that spiralling regional tensions in the wake of top Iranian military commander Qassem Soleimani's assassination by the United States in early January would put an end to the momentum of their months-long movement.

The uprising began on October 1 when thousands of Iraqis took to the streets to decry rampant government corruption, poor public services, and a scarcity of jobs. Protesters are also demanding an end to Iraq's quota-based political system, introduced after the US-led invasion in 2003.

Hundreds of people have been killed since the protests first erupted, with rights groups accusing security forces of using excessive force against the demonstrators.

"They should stop shooting and aiming, who are they and who we are? Both sides are Iraqis. So why are you killing your brothers?" said one woman who did not give her name.

Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi resigned nearly two months ago, but political parties so far have failed to agree on a successor and he has continued to run the government as a caretaker.

Demonstrators have publicly rejected the names circulating as possible replacements and are furious that other sweeping reform measures have not been implemented.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/01/iraq-baghdad-police-tear-gas-live-fire-protests-rage-200120094313266.html
revelette3

Mon 20 Jan, 2020 10:02 am
@snood,
Quote:
You think the Dotard followers going to pretend that this taking place on MLK day is just a scheduling coincidence?

The same kind of scheduling coincidence that has the *president with nothing planned to observe MLK day?

Agreed on both points, the first should be stressed. These people make me sick. I gave up on the Prez having any humanity some time ago.
0 Replies

revelette3

Mon 20 Jan, 2020 10:04 am
@snood,
Quote:
But don’t you think a lot of rightwingers will try to claim one thing has nothing to do with the other?

I know they will, they know it does, but they don't care neither do those who claim to believe it. No one else is fooled.
0 Replies

hightor

Mon 20 Jan, 2020 10:04 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
This is what America is, people fighting the government to have their voices heard and to affect change.

And some of those people are racists and some are neo-nazis. No doubt there are plenty of concerned gun-owners as well. But you can effectively air these views without showing up in childish camo costumes and armed to the teeth. The intimidation factor can't be overlooked.
revelette3

Mon 20 Jan, 2020 10:10 am
@izzythepush,
Makes it hard to know whose side to be side to be on. I just wish, Iran would leave them alone and just be content with their own country and let those who are protesting have their grievances addressed and a true democracy free from outsiders would finally commence in Iraq. Might be a Pollyanna dream from a know nothing outsider.
izzythepush

Mon 20 Jan, 2020 10:13 am
Quote:
The newly appointed commander of Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps' (IRGC) Quds Force has said the United States killed his predecessor, Qassem Soleimani, "in a cowardly way", promising to "hit his enemy in a manly fashion".

Esmail Qaani made the remarks on Monday at an introduction ceremony held for him by top IRGC commanders to mark the formal beginning of his tenure.

"They [US] hit him [Soleimani] in a cowardly way, but with God's grace and through endeavours of freedom-seekers around the world who want vengeance over his blood, we will hit his enemy in a manly fashion," he said.

Soleimani's assassination in a US air strike in Baghdad on January 3 pushed the US and Iran to the brink of war, but fears of an all-out conflict eased when retaliatory Iranian strikes against US targets in Iraq on January 8 concluded without any fatalities.

Iran's Supreme Leader Ali Hosseini Khamenei has since called for the expulsion of all US troops from the region.

The Quds Force is part of the 125,000-strong IRGC, a paramilitary organisation that answers only to Khamenei.

The IRGC oversees Iran's ballistic missile programme, has its naval forces shadow the US Navy in the Persian Gulf, and includes an all-volunteer Basij force.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/01/iran-quds-force-leader-vows-manly-revenge-soleimani-200120144819073.html
0 Replies

McGentrix

Mon 20 Jan, 2020 10:29 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
This is what America is, people fighting the government to have their voices heard and to affect change.

And some of those people are racists and some are neo-nazis. No doubt there are plenty of concerned gun-owners as well. But you can effectively air these views without showing up in childish camo costumes and armed to the teeth. The intimidation factor can't be overlooked.

Some priests molest children, do you condemn them all then?

The Virginia State Constitution has this about guns:
Quote:
State Constitution Article I, Section 13
That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people,trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state,therefore, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided as dangerous to liberty; and that in all cases the military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power.

Americans are free to be racists, Americans are free to be dumb, Americans are even free to be liberals. Virginia is trying desperately to change the long standing laws around guns and the people are irate about it. They are protesting the change in hopes of keeping the laws as they are.

How they protest, so long as it is done legally, is up to them.

revelette3

Mon 20 Jan, 2020 10:31 am
@McGentrix,
Actually a lot of those people are from places other than Virginia.
0 Replies

hightor

Mon 20 Jan, 2020 11:00 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
Some priests molest children, do you condemn them all then?
As a matter of fact, I do.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Mon 20 Jan, 2020 11:14 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

@georgeob
Fair enough. Perhaps you don't attend to Fox, though I would be curious why you don't if you don't. Maybe you just don't watch TV news at all.

But the fact of the matter is that Fox, more than any other right wing operation, sets the tone and establishes the content of most other right wing media operations and voices.

Why don't you and I, as an exercise in honesty and transparency, take note of all news sources we attend to over the next week and share them here. I'm happy to do this. I won't lie or omit anything I attend to. I'll trust you to do the same.

Are you willing to be this forthright?

I'll tell you now. In the first place I spend roughly 30 minutes daily watching the news and (because they are on adjacent channels) split my time between Fox and CNN, mostly to note the different slants they take on the same stories. The monotone story lines and partisanship of both are roughly equal and a bit tiresome and depressing, but I do find the degree and intensity of obvious hyperbole and illogical, almost paranoid speculation on CNN to be worse than that on Fox. For financial reporting (on whish I spend a bit more time) I use FOX and Bloomberg mostly because they are better focused on my interests than the others

Beyond that I take serious note of the policies the various parties advocate and the actions they take to pursue them, evaluating it all based on my experience, understanding of human nature and knowledge of history and the past results of analogous actions. I don't claim to be a master of a these things (though I do read a great deal of history), but it is an accurate description of how I form my views.

In general I spend more time daily in both reading and working out at a nearby gym than watching TV. I work from home and use the TV (and posting on A2K) merely as a break from work in my office.

RABEL222

Mon 20 Jan, 2020 11:32 am
@revelette3,
Its not politics, its religion. Just as in the us religion pushes violence between different religions.
0 Replies