Mon 13 Jan, 2020 07:42 pm
@Builder,
Another sign of the Apocalypse.

I agree with Builder about something.
oralloy

Mon 13 Jan, 2020 07:59 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
The Gulf States are a prime example of Western neo colonialism. In this respect America is only continuing the policies of Britain and France.

The oil wealth should belong to the people but instead it's in the hand of a tiny group of royals. They use this wealth to run the country without the need for any form of accountability. If you don't need to raise taxes you don't need a parliament or any form of legislature.

These royals then spend their wealth on Western weapons to keep the locals under control. It's bad enough in countries like Saudi Arabia where the rulers and population are mostly Sunni Muslims, but in somewhere like Bahrain where a tiny Sunni elite rules over a Shia population the cracks are showing.

This anti Democratic process naturally fuels resentment which is why we have a rise in extremists, because they're the only ones who have constantly stood up to Western Imperialism.

The enemy isn't Islam, it's rampant Capitalism and Neo Imperialism.

What imperialism? How is the internal situation in Arab nations the fault of the US?

Just because we sell them weapons? Things would be little different (and even worse perhaps) if they bought their weapons instead from Russia and China.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Mon 13 Jan, 2020 08:16 pm
@izzythepush,
Blasphemy,blasphemy!! Capitalism is the ultimately perfect form of commerce.Ask any billionaire.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Mon 13 Jan, 2020 08:17 pm
@Builder,
Ant gonna happen.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 14 Jan, 2020 01:56 am
Quote:
Twenty-one members of the Saudi military are being expelled from the US after a cadet carried out a mass shooting at a air base last month.

The servicemen are not accused of aiding the 21-year old Saudi Air Force lieutenant.

But US Attorney General William Barr said the cadets were found to have had jihadist material and indecent images of children in their possession.

Three sailors were killed and eight wounded in the 6 December attack.

Training for Saudi servicemen was put on hold in the US after the attack.

Mr Barr told a news conference on Monday that the shooting at Naval Air Station Pensacola had been an "act of terrorism".

He said he had asked Apple to unlock two iPhones that belonged to the gunman, who was killed by police in the attack. The gunman fired a bullet into one phone in an effort to destroy it, Mr Barr said, but FBI investigators were able to restore the device.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51095771
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 14 Jan, 2020 02:13 am
Quote:
Israeli police have arrested a rabbi who is suspected of holding around 50 women and children in conditions of slavery.

The arrest follows a raid on a complex in Jerusalem, where the alleged victims are believed to have been kept isolated from their families.

The women had been punished in various ways and had money stolen from them, police said.

The suspect, in his 60s, has denied doing anything wrong.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-51098770
glitterbag

Tue 14 Jan, 2020 02:31 am
@izzythepush,
For some reason, I started to hear that old song "Give me that old time religion, it's good enough for me". Does anybody really think their mothers, sisters or daughters should be enslaved? This seems to happen in every fundamentalist form of religion, Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Mormonism, Scientology, and practically every other worship system or cult.....So what's really happening here folks?
Builder

Tue 14 Jan, 2020 04:14 am
@snood,
Quote:
Another sign of the Apocalypse.

I agree with Builder about something.

It pays to keep an open mind, (but not so open your brains fall out).

The Pelosi Schiff fiasco needs to either bear fruit, or those two apologize to the nation for wasting everybody's time and money.

If there's witnesses to call, then do it legally, and prosecute those who refuse to participate.

Take this impeachment seriously, and get the **** on with the process, or withdraw all charges, and stand down.

Those are the two options.

From the outside, looking in (we have mudrock press, and not much else) it looks like Schiff is covering his own tracks, by creating a stir, and Pelosi is being forced to follow suit, or bomb out with the party faithful.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 14 Jan, 2020 05:03 am
@glitterbag,
That song was the opening song to the film about the Darwin trial. I'd not heard it before then.

I think Yeates put it best.

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

It works for every ideology, religious and political.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 14 Jan, 2020 05:15 am
Here's what America's ally Egypt is up to.

Quote:
Egyptian-American Moustafa Kassem has died after more than six years in custody in Egypt, according to officials.

Egypt's attorney general said in a statement that the dual citizenship holder died in a hospital in Cairo on Monday, a day after being transferred there from prison. An autopsy was ordered to determine the cause of death.

According to Kassem's daughter, Dima, his health deteriorated after launching a hunger strike inside the prison to protest against his arrest during a 2013 crackdown by security forces against supporters of former President Mohamed Morsi after the army toppled him. Kassem had long insisted he was falsely charged and had no links to any opposition groups.

Speaking to Al Jazeera, Dima alleged that her father had suffered from a case of intentional medical negligence, which led to his death. She also said that Kassem was first imprisoned for a period of five years without being formally charged.

Kassem had reportedly been on a liquid-only hunger strike since being convicted in September 2018 and four days ago ceased drinking fluids.

The United States confirmed his death and said it would continue to raise concerns over Egypt's human rights record, which rights groups have repeatedly criticised over the government's treatment of political detainees, dissidents, journalists and human rights defenders.

"I am deeply saddened to learn today the death of US citizen Moustafa Kassem who'd been imprisoned in Egypt," the US assistant secretary for Near Eastern Affairs, David Schenker, told a State Department briefing on Monday.

"His death in custody was needless, tragic and avoidable," Schenker said. "I will continue to raise our serious concerns over human rights and Americans detained in Egypt at every opportunity."

Commenting on the news, US Senator Chris Murphy said in a Twitter post that Kassem should have "never been detained".

"[Mike] Pompeo must remind Egypt that military aid is legally tied to releasing prisoners, including at least 6 US citizens," Murphy said, referring to the US secretary of state.

Egypt has long enjoyed military and economic aid from other countries, including the US.

Sahar Aziz, a professor at Rutgers University, said Kassem's death was "just another tragic" one among political prisoners in Egypt.

"The fact that a person would rather starve to death than stay in an Egyptian prison, speaks volumes of just how horrendous the conditions are in those prisons,” Aziz told Al Jazeera.

"I think the fact that he was an Egyptian American also speaks to [US President] Trump's dehumanisation of Arabs and Muslims, and so one wonders if he had been of American or European decent, Trump and Bennett would be more aggressive," she added.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/01/egyptian-citizen-dies-years-egypt-custody-200114071031993.html
oralloy

Tue 14 Jan, 2020 05:42 am
@izzythepush,
What would you have us do?

Cut Egypt off from the west so that they turn to the Chinese government and become a major Chinese outpost in the region?

Invade Egypt to topple their dictatorship and try to set up a democracy in its place? Like we did in Iraq in 2003?

I'm not interested in sending American troops in to invade and occupy Egypt, but if the UK wants to send their ground forces in to conquer the country and set up a democracy, I would be in favor of the US parking a couple Nimitz carriers off the shore to back them up.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 14 Jan, 2020 07:37 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
This seems to happen in every fundamentalist form of religion...So what's really happening here folks?

My three cents (better value than a mere two cents)...

I don't think this is a faith-generated phenomenon. Many (most?) such instances of capture and enslavement of other humans, particularly women captured by men, happen in a secular context.

My guess is that this has more to do with the authoritarian mindset which some percentage of any human population will manifest in some manner.

But religious communities may well be relevant if it's the case that authoritarian types are drawn to the more orthodox versions of faith. And I think that is the case (noting that authoritarianism has two faces - those who need to dominate others and those who find comfort in being dominated).

The gender aspect is, I'm quite sure, a consequence of our biology and evolution as primates. That will, of course, be reflected in how cultures get shaped.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 14 Jan, 2020 07:44 am
Quote:
Russian spies hacked Ukrainian gas company at heart of Trump impeachment trial, company says
WP

Russian hackers working to get Trump elected? That's unpossible. Never happened before. Russians are to be trusted.
revelette3

Tue 14 Jan, 2020 09:02 am
@glitterbag,
It could simply be that they guy happens to be Jewish but also a Jerk. Because people are religious it doesn't automatically follow that they are good people.

Also, one bad (or however many) apple doesn't mean all the apples are bad. You have to wade through a lot of bad apples to find the good ones, but they are there.

My Two cents worth. Wink
0 Replies

revelette3

Tue 14 Jan, 2020 09:04 am
@blatham,
I wonder at what or whose direction they were led to hack that particular company? I also wonder what kind of information is going to be released from it and whether that information will be doctored and would there be a way to tell?
revelette3

Tue 14 Jan, 2020 09:16 am
@revelette3,
I just remembered, didn't Giuliani take a trip to Ukraine right in the middle of the impeachment hearing? Hm, curious.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 14 Jan, 2020 09:19 am
@revelette3,
The existing power structures in Russia far more likely responsible than something random. Doing damage to any threat to Trump being the goal.

They'll look for anything that can be presented as damning evidence on the Bidens. Truthfulness won't matter of course but that's how it would be presented.

Anything that is faked or misrepresented might not be immediately evident (they'll have that expertise). The goal will be to present some negative story and then get it shoved into media coverage in the US to disrupt and to encourage possible Dem voters to becomes disillusioned and apathetic and then staying home rather than voting.
blatham

Tue 14 Jan, 2020 09:26 am
Quote:
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
....and, if Republicans win in court and take back the House of Represenatives, your healthcare, that I have now brought to the best place in many years, will become the best ever, by far. I will always protect your Pre-Existing Conditions, the Dems will not!
5:39 AM - Jan 13, 2020

An example of The Big Lie. Trump is saying:
"I'm responsible for your medical coverage you didn't have before."
"I will protect coverage for pre-existing conditions."
"Dems want to take away your coverage."

And we can expect millions to buy these lies even if the right wing media they attend to has been loudly campaigning non-stop to destroy Obamacare since even before it was put into place and even while the administration is pushing cases in the courts which have destruction of the ACA as the goal.
snood

Tue 14 Jan, 2020 09:28 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

The existing power structures in Russia far more likely responsible than something random. Doing damage to any threat to Trump being the goal.

They'll look for anything that can be presented as damning evidence on the Bidens. Truthfulness won't matter of course but that's how it would be presented.

Anything that is faked or misrepresented might not be immediately evident (they'll have that expertise). The goal will be to present some negative story and then get it shoved into media coverage in the US to disrupt and to encourage possible Dem voters to becomes disillusioned and apathetic and then staying home rather than voting.

And judging from the direction that attacks took before, my guess is one tact they will take will likely be something that makes him appear racist, to cause splintering amongst his pretty loyal black constituency.
blatham

Tue 14 Jan, 2020 09:32 am
@snood,
That's a smart point snood.
0 Replies