monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

georgeob1

Mon 30 Dec, 2019 11:58 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Lovely. Any chance you'll answer the question I just put to you?

I assume this was the question;
Blatham wrote:
In the modern American Catholic world, who could you name who'd fit such a description
Well I don't claim to know much about "the modern Catholic world". Indeed this appears to me to be merely a vague and mindless generality. However, that said, I'm confident that there are a goodly number of narrow minded, intolerant Catholics out there. Same goes for Canadians.

I suspect the issue here is that the behavior of people has more to do with individual traits than their associations with various groups. This, of course, is a currently unfashionable idea, however it is true nonetheless.
coldjoint

Mon 30 Dec, 2019 02:08 pm
Quote:
Anyone Who Doesn’t Realize We Now Live in an Anti-White Reality is an Idiot

I expect they will be lining up shortly after they read this article.
Quote:
How does the media portray these antisemitic murders and attempted murders, though? How do many elected officials try to spin these events? Well, quite simply, they use them as a bludgeon against white people. Somehow, murderous blacks who think of themselves as the True Jews are the result of white supremacy, or just whites in general. It would be funny if it wasn’t so disgusting.

Who are the real racists?
Quote:
I consider myself as sort of a moderate, especially in the context of many of the guests we’ve had on the Killstream. But you don’t have to be a radical to realize that we now live in an Anti-White reality. The media trumpets propaganda meant to debase and demoralize white people on a daily basis, with the end goal being self-hatred and subservience. I have never been ashamed to be white, and never will be, but many people are not as strong willed. However, lots of folks are susceptible to this sort of social programming. So, what’s the answer?

https://theralphretort.com/anyone-who-doesnt-realize-we-now-live-in-an-anti-white-reality-is-an-idiot-12030019/
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 30 Dec, 2019 03:04 pm
@georgeob1,
Jesus. You do damage to my positive notions of Jesuit education. Some Catholic, you.

I envy you your experiences with the man personally. I've been aware of Scalia and a fan of his mind since I was around 20 and one TV station carried a weekly roundtable discussion at a university with smart dudes from across disciplines. Scalia was always top of the pile.

Watch this, george. This is a 2 minute piece by Stephen Colbert as a tribute to Scalia after he died. Both serious Catholics. Both geniuses. Both by all accounts I trust, quite wonderful people. That Scalia and Ginsberg remained close friends is evidence for the proposition.

But none of the above precludes him being a theocrat as a consequence of his faith.

coldjoint

Mon 30 Dec, 2019 03:37 pm
Quote:
An annual Gallup poll shows President Trump sharing the title of "most admired man" with former President Barack Obama for the first time.

That has to hurt, not me, I am fine with it. Cool
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-obama-tied-as-most-admired-man-for-first-time-poll
Builder

Mon 30 Dec, 2019 04:14 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:
An annual Gallup poll shows President Trump sharing the title of "most admired man"

Quote:
Monday, December 30, 2019

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Monday shows that 46% of Likely U.S. Voters approve of President Trump’s job performance. Fifty-three percent (53%) disapprove.

He's dropped 5% in Rasmussen's daily from two weeks ago.
coldjoint

Mon 30 Dec, 2019 04:27 pm
@Builder,
Quote:

He's dropped 5% in Rasmussen's daily from two weeks ago.

He never goes below 40% and people with 401K's have seen them almost triple. Come November there will be no hard feelings and votes will be cast with their wallets.
georgeob1

Mon 30 Dec, 2019 05:56 pm
@blatham,
Thanks for your reply. My remarks were a criticism of what you wrote here -and not of you, as I still regard you as a friend. Just what were your "positive notion" of Jesuit education? How did I violate them?

I was in Jesuit schools from the seventh grade thru High School. I have very good memories of it all, and enjoyed dealing with the challenges they put before us. I also learned a lot of poetry, thanks to them. The punishment for minor infractions in class was called, "JUG", which we were told, stood for, "Justice under God ", but as we students said, "there was goddam little justice in Jug. It consisted of about three hours after class, memorizing assigned poetry and/or various elocution pieces. If after the scheduled time you could recite it accurately, you could go home. If your parents objected they gave them the name of the family waiting for their son's seat. I can still recite Robert Ingersoll's "After visiting the Tomb of Napoleon", and Elija Kellog's "Spartacus to the Gladiators in Capua".

On graduation from high school I was destined to follow in my father's footsteps and go to Georgetown. I rebelled against that and got myself an appointment to the Naval Academy, only to later discover it was the same old ****. In fact I liked them both: the governing rule was you were judged by the results you achieved, and not the effort made to get there , and as for minor infractions, one wasn't guilty until he was caught.

I watched your clip of Colbert's story about Scalia. I enjoyed it, and found his description in character for Scalia - at least to the limited extent I know it. I had assumed Scalia figured high in your list of "Catholic extremists". He certainly had strong beliefs about originalism in the interpretation of the Constitution, and of freedom of Religion - views strongly opposed by most Progressives today.
Builder

Mon 30 Dec, 2019 09:08 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:
Come November there will be no hard feelings and votes will be cast with their wallets.

For all intents and purposes, the dems don't appear to be even slightly serious about 202o's election.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Mon 30 Dec, 2019 09:15 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Brilliant retort !

I don't have enough respect for you George to even try, the best I can offer to someone like you is pity. I might change my opinion if you ever express anything close to clever or brilliant.....snide and petulant don't count.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Mon 30 Dec, 2019 10:42 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

You are such a careless reader. Of course, I didn't voice anti-Catholicism in what I wrote above. I wrote about a small segment of your faith group who are, beyond any shadow of doubt, theocrats. Barr is one. Leonard Leo is another. Scalia another. Paul Weyrich another. Many other Catholics are not of this sort at all. As I also noted above, Stephen Colbert voices a faith stance I find not at all disagreeable.

Probably Masons too. Everyone knows how they rule the Illuminati, right Blatham?
glitterbag

Mon 30 Dec, 2019 10:47 pm
@McGentrix,
Oh crap, Illuminati???? Do you even know when the Illuminati existed???? Do you know what the common folks think illuminati is?
Builder

Tue 31 Dec, 2019 04:03 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Do you even know when the .......(snip)

Do you even know sarcasm, when it slaps you in the face?

You appear to be seeking recognition, where it's out of reach.
0 Replies

Brand X

Tue 31 Dec, 2019 08:34 am
Juan Cole

@jricole
12m12 minutes ago
More
Iraqi PM 'Categorically Rejects' Trump Admin. Strikes, as Shiite Militia Leader Pledges attacks on US Troops
revelette3

Tue 31 Dec, 2019 10:16 am
Poll: Biden edges Trump in Florida
0 Replies

revelette3

Tue 31 Dec, 2019 10:24 am
@Brand X,
Quote:
After “Sinful” Attack, Iraqi Gov’t “Reviewing” US Relationship, as Shiite Militias demand Expulsion of US Troops

Ann Arbor (Informed Comment) – Euronews Arabic reports that the Trump administration’s strike on three bases of the Kata’ib Hizbullah in Iraq and two in Syria has provoked widespread fury among politicians, students and the public.

Outgoing Iraqi Prime Minister Adil Abdulmahdi said Monday that he had attempted to dissuade the Trump administration from the bombing raids, about which he was informed only hours before they were launched, but had failed. His helplessness in the face of Trump demonstrated to many Iraqis that the US still has a colonial relationship with the country.

The Iraqi government of Abdulmahdi said that it is “reviewing its relationship” with the US in the wake of the American attacks. The Baghdad government said in a statement, “This sinful attack violates the goals and the principles for the sake of which the international coalition was formed, and impels Iraq to review its relationships and its frameworks for action and its policies and laws so as to safeguard the sovereignty and security of the country, protecting the lives of its children and promoting common interests.”

Iraq’s Cabinet-level National Security Council met and expressed alarm that the country was getting caught in the crossfire of other nations’ struggles, which has the potential to inflict extreme danger and great losses on Iraq.

(The US strikes were depicted by Secretary of Defense Mark Esper as against Iran-backed militias). The security council said that the unilateral American action, taken without the agreement of the Iraqi government, put all military bases in the country in danger, including American ones. It complained that the US struck precisely those forces guarding the Iraqi border with Syria from the remnants of the terrorist ISIL (ISIS) organization, thus exposing the security and sovereignty of Iraq to danger and threatened the security of everyone. Many of those killed or wounded, it said, had been heroes in the defeat of ISIL.

The US strikes killed 25 persons and injured 51, including fighters and commanders. The number of wounded is expected to rise as after-incident appraisals are made. Kata’ib Hizbullah is one of the Popular Mobilization Units that helped defeat the hyper-Sunni ISIL terrorist state. The Trump administration maintains that it is responsible for rocket and mortar attacks on sites where the some 5,000 US troops in Iraq are based.

Protest street crowds in Baghdad denounced the airstrikes as violations of Iraqi sovereignty, saying that they reject all sorts of foreign intervention in their country, from any quarter. In Basra, crowds chanted, “No America, no Iran!” Euronews interviewed students at Basra University who said that the university students universally condemned the American injury to Iraqi sovereignty.

The Kata’ib Hizbullah militia demanded the immediate withdrawal of “the US enemy” from Iraq. The League of the Righteous (Asa’ib Ahl al-Haqq), another hard line, Iran-backed Shiite militia, joined in the call for an American withdrawal, saying in a communique, “the American military presence has become a burden on the Iraqi state and the source of a threat to our forces. It is therefore incumbent on all of us to expend our utmost effort to expel them by every legitimate means.” The Badr Corps, the paramilitary of the Islamic Supreme Council of Iraq, echoed these sentiments, Euronews said.

These Shiite militias double as political parties, and form part of the Fath parliamentary block with 45 members of parliament. Fath is headed up by Hadi al-Amiri, who also leads the Badr Corps. Fath said in its communique, “The brazen attack by the American forces on security forces, targeting the 45th and 46th brigades of the Popular Mobilization Units in Qa’im is an attack on national sovereignty and on Iraqi honor, which rejects any violation of it.” It added, “This arrogant and criminal act will be met with an Iraqi response that is prepared to take on any challenge touching upon its dignity and sovereignty.” Fath’s statement continued, “we call upon national forces and political blocs in parliament take an urgent and bold decision to demand that the government expel all foreign forces from Iraqi soil–those forces that have become a dagger in the side of the nation.”

https://www.juancole.com/2019/12/government-reviewing-relationship.html

I admit I don't yet understand the ins-and outs of it all yet.

As additional reading:

2019: Americans Slept while Street Revolts Reshaped Iraq, Lebanon, Sudan and Algeria

Quote:
All the air in American politics seems to have been sucked up by Trump and his Power Tweets, so that cable television seemed to have little energy to spare for the big developments in the world that had the potential to affect the United States.

In 2011 the American public was mesmerized by the youth street revolts that overturned governments in Tunisia, Egypt, Libya and Yemen, and which plunged Bahrain into a further authoritarian miasma and kicked off an 8-year civil war in Syria. Yet they showed little interest in the similar movements this year.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 31 Dec, 2019 10:44 am
@McGentrix,
Quote:
Probably Masons too. Everyone knows how they rule the Illuminati, right Blatham?
You forgot to mention the Deep State, McG.

Aside from that, you'd have to do some study to familiarize yourself with this particular subject. If you were clarify the term "theocracy" then do do a careful read of Barr's speech at Notre Dame HERE then we could perhaps have a worthwhile discussion.
snood

Tue 31 Dec, 2019 11:00 am
@blatham,
Quote:
do a careful read

He won’t .

Quote:
we could perhaps have a useful discussion

You really think so?
You’re a better man than I am, Gunga Din.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Tue 31 Dec, 2019 11:38 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Oh crap, Illuminati???? Do you even know when the Illuminati existed???? Do you know what the common folks think illuminati is?

Do you??? The word harpy comes to mind.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 31 Dec, 2019 12:00 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Just what were your "positive notion" of Jesuit education? How did I violate them?
You are consistently undisciplined in argumentation. That would almost certainly not be the case had your education courtesy of a Jesuit institution continued beyond high school. For example, where Scalia would be eager to define terms critical to an argument/discussion for reasons that ought to be easily grasped, you refuse to do so. You ignore core arguments/claims/questions in posts to which you are responding and instead shift to other issues, irrelevant to what has preceded. Imagine Rush Limbaugh attempting to argue a case before the Supreme Court.

Quote:
I had assumed Scalia figured high in your list of "Catholic extremists".
Not high (other than as a consequence of his stature and influence) in relation to others like Leo or Barr but part of the problem. I do consider that he is, in a real sense, slightly insane as a consequence of his theology and as a consequence of his particular personality and how those two things interact. The following is from an interview he gave about a year before he died.
Quote:
You believe in heaven and hell?
Oh, of course I do. Don’t you believe in heaven and hell?

No.
Oh, my.

Does that mean I’m not going?
[Laughing.] Unfortunately not!

Wait, to heaven or hell?
It doesn’t mean you’re not going to hell, just because you don’t believe in it. That’s Catholic doctrine! Everyone is going one place or the other.

But you don’t have to be a Catholic to get into heaven? Or believe in it?
Of course not!

Oh. So you don’t know where I’m going. Thank God.
I don’t know where you’re going. I don’t even know whether Judas Iscariot is in hell. I mean, that’s what the pope meant when he said, “Who am I to judge?” He may have recanted and had severe penance just before he died. Who knows?

Can we talk about your drafting process—
[Leans in, stage-whispers.] I even believe in the Devil.

You do?
Of course! Yeah, he’s a real person. Hey, c’mon, that’s standard Catholic doctrine! Every Catholic believes that.

Every Catholic believes this? There’s a wide variety of Catholics out there …
If you are faithful to Catholic dogma, that is certainly a large part of it.

The notions of God, Satan, Heaven and Hell are ancient cultural artifacts with no empirical or rational basis to accept as true. They are simply taught and believed. They are identical to any other such artifacts which have arisen in any other culture such as the Maori legend that the Earth and the Sky were once in unison but got in a fight and separated from each other. Or eastern ideas of reincarnation. Or the poetic notions found in Ovid's Metamorphoses. Or, of course, Santa Claus.

It's not difficult to understand why humans in the pre-scientific past, with our pattern-seeking minds, would advance such theories in our attempts to understand what's going on. But to continue to hold these ideas with the tenacity that Scalia demonstrates says nothing good about the parts of his mind involved.

He says, in the quote above, that he believes Satan is a "person" because it is a key part of his church's dogma. That's just about the worst possible reason to believe anything.

None of that would be relevant or important to me if his faith and the consequences of it were limited to himself. But that's obviously not the case. Where he, or any other religious figure of any denomination seek to control the lives of others outside their own faith community (ie seeking to make abortion illegal, nationally institutionalizing preference for one particular faith, etc) then they are automatically my enemy.
georgeob1

Tue 31 Dec, 2019 12:23 pm
@blatham,
In moments like these you reveal your apparently deep-seated prejudices and fixed ideas about things you can neither prove nor disprove. (things which you habitually later deny) .

I did, however, observe that Scalia was very skilled at a calm and Socratic unraveling of the inflated posturings of self-important lightweights. You have given us an example. Unfortunately for you it appears that in your eagerness to get some phrases which might confirm your pre judgments, you missed the essential point.