monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Mon 16 Dec, 2019 05:52 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Re: izzythepush (Post 6938129)

Boris Johnson threatens BBC with two-pronged attack
Here in Canada, there has been a decades-long project by the right to diminish the influence of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation spearheaded by a constant messaging strategy that the CBC is marked by liberal bias and support for the Liberal Party. This has had significant success in terms of funding cuts and shifting public consensus.

In the US, the PBS has, of course, also been the target of such propaganda campaigns along with manipulation through targeted delivery of or withholding of funding by wealthy libertarian donors such as the Kochs.
blatham

Mon 16 Dec, 2019 05:55 am
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Pelosi some time ago expressed the view that Impeachment, if it occurs, must have a clear criminal foundation and there must be a level of bipartisan support for it. Now they are proceeding without meeting either condition .
I have no knowledge of such a claim by her. Can you provide a link?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Mon 16 Dec, 2019 06:02 am
@blatham,
The only public broadcasters in Germany (we've got nine regional and two national tv services plus some dozen radio programs by those regional broadcasters), which are not (heavily) criticised, are the foreign public broadcasters AFN and BFBS.
blatham

Mon 16 Dec, 2019 06:03 am
Quote:
No More Nice Dems

...So why do [Republicans] keep winning state races? To put it another way, why do Democrats—the party of prosperity—keep losing to them? Can this be changed? How much does it matter?

Meaghan Winter’s All Politics Is Local: Why Progressives Must Fight for the States looks into these questions with remarkable clarity and tenacity.

...Winter’s starting point is that effective political engagement at the state level is not only intrinsically desirable but that, “especially ahead of redistricting, there is no way for a political party or social movement to win long-term without building strategic power in cities and states.”

This might seem obvious. The maps of most congressional districts are determined by state legislatures. After the midterm election of 2010, Republicans used their state-level wins to ensure dramatic partisan overrepresentation in Wisconsin, North Carolina, Texas, Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Georgia, Virginia, Indiana, New York, and Michigan. This guaranteed a Republican majority in the House of Representatives that could be undone only by an election like the 2018 Blue Wave. Gerrymandering was also applied to statehouses. This gives the GOP a continuing advantage, in states like Wisconsin and Ohio, in the redistricting that will follow the 2020 census.

Nonetheless, the importance of regional politics hasn’t been obvious, or obvious enough, to the Democratic powers-that-be: as Winter writes, “for years, it has been an open secret in political circles that Democrats and progressive interest groups have prioritized federal candidates and policy at the expense of the states.”

Winter suggests that this is because, first, there has been a generational conviction among baby boomers that federal politics is the most instrumentally effective. And second, the liberal political apparatus is “largely guided by the moral whims of rich people.” She gives the billionaire presidential candidate Tom Steyer as an example. Liberal megadonors with private foundations are reluctant to invest in uncharismatic, long-haul grassroots projects. They are typically afraid of appearing “political.” Instead, they favor ameliorating the plight of the visibly needy:

Quote:
As David Callahan, founder of Inside Philanthropy, said, most foundation grant makers end up “thinking like a social worker instead of thinking like a Bolshevik,” the very opposite of the approach taken by those doling out the Koch and Mercer fortunes.

Thus the problem isn’t money: “The annual spending of centrist and left-leaning foundations far exceeds the annual spending of the conservative Heritage Foundation or the Scaife Family Foundation.” The problem is that, for around half a century, right-wing donors have spent their money more productively. They have created and supported entities (the American Legislative Exchange Council, or ALEC, the State Policy Network, Americans for Prosperity, the Federalist Society, etc.) dedicated to developing durable structures of power and fanaticism. Most significantly, they have gradually taken control of state offices—the offices responsible not only for redistricting but for elections and voter registration, for state jurisprudence, and for the local regulation of abortion, health care, workers’ rights, and gun safety.

It can’t be disputed that this effort has worked. Indeed, it has produced a kind of Bolshevik dreamland in which a few billionaire hypercapitalists and libertarian extremists oversee a sizable cadre of professional ideologues and organizers who do the boring, technical, and persistent work of radicalizing, training, rewarding, and controlling conservative legislators, policy theorists, media figures, propagandists, administrators, evangelists, and judges. This produces a self-sustaining vanguard with real power, real expertise, and a ferocious dedication to victory that increasingly surpasses any allegiance to the ethical and civic norms associated with a modern democracy. Gerrymandering, voter suppression, intellectually dishonest judicial rulings, and systematic disinformation are now essential Republican tactics. There’s a reason why the GOP, for all its substantive uselessness, is such a formidable political foe. It plays to win...

0 Replies

Brand X

Mon 16 Dec, 2019 06:08 am
Pelosi didn't push for impeaching Bush for war crimes because she would have implicated herself due to her being on the intel committee and having knowledge of the torturing program.

In this vid she is on CNN telling on herself and at the same time twisting in knots 'justifying' no impeachment for Bush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP_vhf3W7lU
0 Replies

blatham

Mon 16 Dec, 2019 06:12 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Thanks, Walter. I had no idea what the situation was in Germany.

Our national broadcasting system was and remains something of a necessity here given our geography, size and the spread of small communities across the country and up through the very sparsely populated northern regions. It has served to educate citizens about all these distant members of the national community and thus tie us together.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Mon 16 Dec, 2019 07:59 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Hightor has proven himself to be a conservative Republican.

What? That is outlandish.
hightor

Mon 16 Dec, 2019 08:13 am
@McGentrix,
No, McG, it's been proven!
izzythepush

Mon 16 Dec, 2019 08:16 am
@hightor,
You're definitely conservative by our standards.
hightor

Mon 16 Dec, 2019 08:32 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
You're definitely conservative by our standards.

And what standards might those be? The only operational "standard" I can see is that anyone who posts an article you happen to disagree with must himself be presumed to hold that identical position...and is a "fascist".

I don't expect you to take the time to actually list the positions I've personally put forward which you would label as "definitely conservative". But I'm curious as to how you (and my other accuser) arrived at that conclusion. Because I spelled "Labour" wrong?

izzythepush

Mon 16 Dec, 2019 09:21 am
@hightor,
British standards. European standards.

You seem to be completely unaware of the fact that politically America is a lot further to the right than the rest of the developed World.

It's not rocket science.
izzythepush

Mon 16 Dec, 2019 09:23 am
@hightor,
You quoted a far right poster who rubbished Corbyn and lied about him. That's what fascists do. You can always stop acting like a fascist.

You may be overjoyed that Trump will be gutting the NHS and killing British people, but I'm not.
tsarstepan

Mon 16 Dec, 2019 09:23 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

British standards. European standards.

You seem to be completely unaware of the fact that politically America is a lot further to the right than the rest of the developed World.

It's not rocket science.

Ironically, by Martian standards? They're far far more conservative than any earthling regime ... AND ... their politics involves literal rocket science. #gofigure!
0 Replies

hightor

Mon 16 Dec, 2019 09:53 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
You quoted a far right poster who rubbished Corbyn and lied about him.

So what? I actually left out most of Stephens's criticism of Corbyn. The point I wished to stress was that it's easy to underestimate the political appeal of people like Johnson (and Trump) and to overestimate the attractiveness of someone like Corbyn. The result of the election should speak for itself. It wasn't even close.

You can blame the BBC, the press, or the millionaires if you want. Anything but admit that the ideologically purer of the two candidates failed to rally the electorate to his support. The Scots rejected Johnson and so did Northern Ireland. So why did England support the Conservatives? It's obvious that they didn't like the Labour program, supported Brexit, and were content to hand the victory to Johnson.

Quote:
You may be overjoyed that Trump will be gutting the NHS and killing British people, but I'm not.

That's really stupid of you to say. Juvenile, in fact. I've never expressed any joy at the prospect of the UK becoming the 51st state and I've never criticized the NHS or supported killing British people. You act like such an overemotional simpleton at times.

Quote:

I'm well aware of that. I live here. That doesn't mean I like it — but I'm not so idealistic to believe that European solutions can be successfully imposed on a conservative population like ours.
izzythepush

Mon 16 Dec, 2019 10:01 am
@hightor,
That wasn't the point he made, he did a hatchet job.

You may know Trump, but you don't know Johnson. He was a Media darling for years before he entered politics, if you consider working for the Telegraph and Spectator not being in politics that is.

He appeared on shows like Have I Got News For You for years. He's likable and affable, lots of Labour members I knew actually liked him, although this was before his true nature came out.

People still like him, he is still affable, but there's only so much bullshit you can spout before you have to deliver. He can't deliver.

Corbyn was long vilified by the right wing press as being on the 'loony left' before he even ran for head of the party, so he was at even more of a disadvantage than other Labour leaders.

The point you were trying to make is a load of bollocks.

When you post far right commentators it's natural to assume you share those opinions, especially as you've already expressed your opposition to UHC.
McGentrix

Mon 16 Dec, 2019 10:07 am
@blatham,
**** that, I will NOT have my culture appropriated like that.

Circle Game

A game for two or more players in which one player makes a circle with his/her hand (sort of like an "OK" sign, or similar to the American Sign Language letter F) below their waist and attempts to get the other player(s) to look at it. If at least one other player looks at the person's hand in while it's making this sign below the waist, the person who got the others to look at their hand gets to punch all of the players who saw the circle, generally in the arm/shoulder area. This is generally a game that's played all day and out of the blue. The idea is to catch the other player(s) off guard and get them to look at the "circle" below your waist to get the privilege of punching them.
izzythepush

Mon 16 Dec, 2019 10:28 am
@McGentrix,
I always thought your culture was the biscuit game.
0 Replies

hightor

Mon 16 Dec, 2019 10:28 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Corbyn was long vilified by the right wing press as being on the 'loony left' before he even ran for head of the party, so he was at even more of a disadvantage than other Labour leaders.

Why did the party choose him as its leader? Was he as left as Red Ken? Was it just a reaction to the leadership of Tony Blair?
Quote:
The point you were trying to make is a load of bollocks.

Not evidenced by the result of the election.
Quote:
...especially as you've already expressed your opposition to UHC.

Oh really? UHC should be instituted in every civilized society. The idea that industries should profit from the fact that human beings get sick, grow old, and die is one of the most basic critiques of capitalism. The implementation of such a program in the USA will not be simple, however, for cultural and economic reasons. So if some candidate runs on a platform of "universal unrestricted free healthcare" it's unlikely to be a winning idea and, should the candidate win, it's unlikely to be implemented or upheld in the courts should it pass. I'd rather see incremental improvements until our society further evolves and demonstrates sufficient maturity to undertake a wholesale transformation of one sixth of the economy.
izzythepush

Mon 16 Dec, 2019 10:36 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Why did the party choose him as its leader? Was he as left as Red Ken? Was it just a reaction to the leadership of Tony Blair?

How am I supposed to know why a group of individuals voted as they did? Your use of pejorative terms like Red Ken shows you're not interested in serious debate.

I didn't vote for Jeremy Corbyn as leader, I voted for Andy Burnham. There was a large youth membership drive and they all voted for Corbyn. I still believe I was right, but after Corbyn took May's majority off her I decided to give him a chance.

The Labour Party manifesto was wonderful, but Johnson and the right wing press made it about Brexit. This has been dragging on for three years and when Johnson said he would 'get it done,' they believed him although it won't be any way near as straightforward as he has made out.

See how Johnson fares in 3 years time when the Nissan factory in Sunderland shuts its doors.
izzythepush

Mon 16 Dec, 2019 10:39 am
@hightor,
UHC is a moral position. Either you're happy with allowing people to die because they are poor or you're not.

Nobody outside of America would claim to be opposed to UHC and still think that doesn't make them a conservative.

You're more right wing than Margaret Thatcher.

If you're against UHC you're in favour of state sponsored murder.