monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

Walter Hinteler

Fri 13 Dec, 2019 02:20 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
But if Finn wants to make reference to the DSM or other credible social-science based source material, fine. [Now accepting wagers on the chances of this happening]
We use here the ICD-10 - there it is the "Diagnosis Code F60.2".
blatham

Fri 13 Dec, 2019 02:24 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Thanks for providing another source, Walter. I know Finn has the eager appetite.
0 Replies

BillW

Fri 13 Dec, 2019 02:31 pm
@revelette3,
revelette3 wrote:

Colins just came off looking a like a shrill weeny, I don't know how he ended up in the minority leadership role of the republicans. Surely they could do better than him.

Actually rev, he is a perfect poster child of the entire Republican party; a shrill, whining weeny!
blatham

Fri 13 Dec, 2019 02:57 pm
@BillW,
Throughout the hearings, most of the GOP committee members behaved in the manner of 12 year old boys on the street corner doing the loud bullying thing. I've been trying to figure out who they are using as a model.
coldjoint

Fri 13 Dec, 2019 03:06 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
most of the GOP committee members behaved in the manner of 12 year old boys on the street corner doing the loud bullying thing

They acted like adults. And since when is debate bullying? Is it because the Democrats are making the rules up as they go? The Democrats looked like spoiled children who got caught cheating the citizens of this country.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 13 Dec, 2019 03:28 pm
Well, golly. I wonder why the policy change?
Quote:
Fewer officials are allowed to listen in on President Trump’s phone calls with foreign leaders, according to a new report, after the political bomb the President detonated during his infamous July call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky.

Multiple White House sources told CNN in a Friday report that Trump’s senior aides have further limited the number of administration officials who listen to the President’s phone calls with foreign leaders and that the memos of the calls are being distributed to a far smaller group within the White House.
TPM

Quite a puzzle. This is the most transparent and honest administration in the history of the western world, after all.
0 Replies

hightor

Fri 13 Dec, 2019 03:35 pm
Quote:
The nemeses of the Trumpist movement are liberals — in both the classical and American sense of the world — not America’s traditional geopolitical foes. This is something new in our lifetime. Despite right-wing persecution fantasies about Obama, we’ve never before had a president that treats half the country like enemies, subjecting it to an unending barrage of dehumanization and hostile propaganda. Opponents in a liberal political system share at least some overlapping language. They have some shared values to orient debates. With those things gone, words lose their meaning and political exchange becomes impossible and irrelevant.

nyt/goldberg
BillW

Fri 13 Dec, 2019 03:46 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Throughout the hearings, most of the GOP committee members behaved in the manner of 12 year old boys on the street corner doing the loud bullying thing. I've been trying to figure out who they are using as a model.
theRump, of course..........but, I know your comment was rhetorical - I just couldn't resist.
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 13 Dec, 2019 03:47 pm
Anybody else think the vote was tabled last night because the Dems didn’t have the votes?

Cause that’s what I think.
BillW

Fri 13 Dec, 2019 03:55 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Anybody else think the vote was tabled last night because the Dems didn’t have the votes?

Cause that’s what I think.

Your such a hoot - everyone knows the vote was never in doubt. The vote was delayed for proper positioning:

1) Get an entire day of and compete the week with a positive vote to impeach.
2) Prevent the Republican party the ability to claim the vote was made in the dead ot night and is a very seeky, dark, unethical act.

But, nice try anyways Rolling Eyes
blatham

Fri 13 Dec, 2019 04:21 pm
@hightor,
Goddamn that is a brave piece of writing. A couple of months ago, as part of an interview for recently diagnosed sleep apnea, the doctor asked, "Do you ever get depressed?" I responded, "Are you kidding? Trump is the President". The doctor nodded and inquired no further.

Quote:
The nemeses of the Trumpist movement are liberals — in both the classical and American sense of the world — not America’s traditional geopolitical foes.

Yes. For some significant portion of the right, liberalism has long been conceived as a fundamental enemy of America. John Birch/libertarians and the religious right held this as central. Both of those cultural elements gained a big foothold in the Reagan period but Russia/communism still was the Big Bad Thing.

A major shift and expansion for anti-liberalism came with the fall of the Soviet Union/communism and the loss of that hugely important symbolic figure/entity that had anchored one side of their Manichean framing of the world. And right at this point, in 2000, we saw Pat Buchanan's campaign placing liberalism as THE force working purposefully towards the destruction of America. The rise of talk radio and then FOX and other right wing media only magnified this worldview out into the parts of American culture that were poorly equipped to evaluate it.

And if you read Bill Barr's speech at Notre Dame, you'll find this conceptual framing - liberalism as manifest evil - made explicit.
0 Replies

Lash

Fri 13 Dec, 2019 04:24 pm
@BillW,
Dude, if I knew my people had the vote locked up, I’d be a ******* idiot not to call for a vote—as would anybody else.

They ran into the night counting and wrangling votes.

They didn’t have enough.
blatham

Fri 13 Dec, 2019 04:35 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
They ran into the night counting and wrangling votes.

They didn’t have enough.

That makes just a ton of sense given that there wasn't a single defection.
hightor

Fri 13 Dec, 2019 05:03 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
That makes just a ton of sense given that there wasn't a single defection.

There was never any question of them not getting the votes. That's just absurd. They'd argued all day long. I can't even begin to imagine how intellectually frustrating it must have been — the minority was still suggesting that maybe Ukraine was behind the election meddling, for god's sake. Without an authority figure in the room the two sides basically constructed two different realities and there was no one to make a ruling as to what was the truth. It was bordering on the surreal. Much better, as BillW rightly points out, to separate the actual vote from the messy process.
BillW

Fri 13 Dec, 2019 05:11 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

to separate the actual vote from the messy process.

Exactly, I really like that phraseology!
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 13 Dec, 2019 05:17 pm
@hightor,
Yup.
0 Replies

NSFW (view)
coldjoint

Fri 13 Dec, 2019 05:34 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
And by the by... here's my fave christmas light display

That is nothing but arrogance in display. Again an understandable choice. Ridiculing the spirit and the work involved. I think the neighbor should sue the bastard.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 13 Dec, 2019 09:24 pm
Voices From The Right: episode 97231
Quote:
... Which is worse, bigotry or cowardice in the face of bigotry?

Whatever the answer, we should prepare ourselves for an especially ugly and destructive 2020 presidential election. Trump seems to believe, with some justification, that the cultivation of anger against outsiders won him the Republican nomination and the presidency in 2016. We should expect more of the same, and worse. The racism, misogyny and dehumanization — the assault on migrants, Muslims and refugees — have only begun. And those who enable it are equally responsible for it.
Michael Gerson
coldjoint

Fri 13 Dec, 2019 09:41 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
The racism, misogyny and dehumanization

The hyperbole, the drama, the hypocrisy, the repetition, and all of it from a proven liar.
0 Replies