It worked in the prior election,

No it did not, Clinton lost.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Wed 20 Nov, 2019 12:00 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
Now it's an integrity crisis.

There is no integrity in Washington DC, try again.
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 20 Nov, 2019 12:03 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
Now it's an integrity crisis. We have a complete confession that the administration was engaged in bribery/extortion and it wasn't on the down low, everyone was aware.

There is no reason to think that the President was accepting bribes.

Pressuring other countries to do what he wants is perfectly reasonable. The President did nothing wrong.

engineer wrote:
It will come down to each senator ranking their allegiances between (1) the constitution, (2) their reelection and (3) Trump. My guess is a lot of senators will go 2 then 3. I doubt they really care about one.

The Constitution is on Trump's side.

Republicans certainly care about the Constitution. It's the progressives who hate our Constitution.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 20 Nov, 2019 12:06 pm
@hightor,
Good question. I have no idea whether there is a rule in place that necessitates a vote or what time frame might be mandated.

Of course, if they don't bring it to a vote, that leaves the door wide open for the right to yell loudly that the Dems aren't because there's no evidence and it was all a farce.

I'm also not sure in the ways that McConnell is constrained in ways that would damage his goals. So I don't have a clear view of how a Senate trial itself (not conclusion) might work damage on either side.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 20 Nov, 2019 12:07 pm
@engineer,
I'm afraid so. There's damn little evidence these people haven't gone fully to justifying their own corruption. Not yet, anyway.

America is in desperate need of senior Republicans who retain some shred of ethics, self-dignity and love of country to begin stepping forward.
hightor

Wed 20 Nov, 2019 12:11 pm
Ken Starr on the Sondland testimony: 'It's over'

Quote:
Ken Starr, the former solicitor general who headed the investigation that led to the impeachment of former President Bill Clinton, called Wednesday's testimony by U.S. Ambassador to the European Union Gordon Sondland "obviously ... one of those bombshell days."

Speaking on Fox News, Starr agreed with the hosts that things now do not "look good for the president substantively." Sondland's testimony, Starr said, confirmed that there was a quid pro quo between Trump's administration and the Ukrainian government — which would be "bribery," in the jargon of impeachment. Sondland also said that the orders to push Kyiv to open an investigation into Trump's political rivals had come directly from the Oval Office.

Starr focused specifically on the question of Trump's alleged contempt, noting that Sondland had spoken "vehemently and bitterly about his lack of access to records to help him." Additionally, the Democrats' line of questioning made clear that Sondland's attempts to refresh his memory for the testimony had been denied by the administration, which could build the Democrats' case for obstruction.

"There will be articles of impeachment," Starr said. "I think we've known that, it was just confirmed today. Substantively, what we heard from the chairman just now is: It's over. We now know — this is his position — we now know that the president in fact committed the crime of bribery." Watch below. Jeva Lange

Ken Starr on Fox News: "It doesn't look good for the president, substantively." pic.twitter.com/kDBdx0DapS

— Kyle Griffin (@kylegriffin1) November 20, 2019

theweek
coldjoint

Wed 20 Nov, 2019 12:26 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
we now know that the president in fact committed the crime of bribery." Watch below. Jeva Lange

The bribery the founders talk about is someone (foreign power or special interest) bribing the president to do their bidding, not the president bribing someone. No cigar.
0 Replies

oralloy

@hightor,
I've certainly seen no evidence that the President has accepted any bribes.
0 Replies

hightor

Donnie's crib sheet from today's press conference on the White House lawn:

https://int.nyt.com/data/chatblog/uploads/CQNM1JKKN/1574270415.337200.jpg
coldjoint

Wed 20 Nov, 2019 12:30 pm
@hightor,
The source of that picture is the NYT. So it is very likely a fake. They are just not credible when it comes to Trump. View the image info it tells you the source.
hightor

Wed 20 Nov, 2019 12:31 pm
@coldjoint,
Ha ha ha!

https://preview.redd.it/1f4dldn5lvz31.png?width=770&auto=webp&s=61bd2a64caffc8b43c81c6b7728da68f458b00cb
coldjoint

Wed 20 Nov, 2019 12:33 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
Ha ha ha!

That proves nothing. It could have been doctored. Show me a picture of the president letting someone take that picture and I will believe it.
BillW

Wed 20 Nov, 2019 12:34 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Now the game will be to go full bore propaganda until a Senate trial and then to count on McConnell's amorality to make it toothless and shut it down fast.

It's going to get very, very ugly.

I'm also not sure in the ways that McConnell is constrained in ways that would damage his goals. So I don't have a clear view of how a Senate trial itself (not conclusion) might work damage on either side.

McConnell is up for elect next year. The Dem's need to make his election a priority - starting right now! Appealing to all Kentucks the wrongs of tRump and the backing Mitch is giving him. Put the pressure on, now!
revelette3

Wed 20 Nov, 2019 12:42 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
America is in desperate need of senior Republicans who retain some shred of ethics, self-dignity and love of country to begin stepping forward.

You said it, it would work to bring this country together in the long run.
revelette3

Wed 20 Nov, 2019 12:45 pm
@BillW,
Oh please, appealing to all Kentuckians? We who have elected McConnel all these years over our interest? According to the last governors vote in KY, the better chance would be to appeal to urban Kentuckians. (Of which I am not; so my vote hardly counts. My particular county is very red (neck) and votes republican even though they are registered democrats.)
0 Replies

hightor

Wed 20 Nov, 2019 12:48 pm
@coldjoint,
Trump reads comically large notes declaring 'I want no quid pro quo' amid Sondland testimony
coldjoint

Wed 20 Nov, 2019 12:51 pm
@hightor,
Again you link to an opinion and interpretation of events by a source that is in on this hate fest. No credibility again. Also where do you see the pinkish background in your big picture ?
0 Replies

BillW

Wed 20 Nov, 2019 12:56 pm
Sondland's testimony has furthered a charge that I have noted during tRump's entire Presidency and is now being discussed by some pundits for this Impeachment proceeding; that is, will there be a RICO charge added. This charge dispels the Repub argument that the pres hasn't said anything that is a quid pro quo, that Rudy (the consigliere) gave the orders and the pres's Secretaries are his Capos.

Will the Dems have the courage to add a Rico charge. Perry and Rudys actions with Ukraine shows further mob actions. It brings in the entirety of the last three years also.
coldjoint

Wed 20 Nov, 2019 12:59 pm
@BillW,
The RICO charges are coming but it will be the DNC indicted, not Trump.
0 Replies

Brand X

Wed 20 Nov, 2019 01:02 pm
Get ready for it to drag on through March 2020.