monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

MontereyJack

Sat 9 Nov, 2019 12:17 am
@coldjoint,
Millennials love her, and by the time she's of age to run you'll likely be dead.
coldjoint

Sat 9 Nov, 2019 12:24 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
Millennials love her

The ones that could have worked at high paying Amazon jobs she ran out of NYC? She is going to be gone.
MontereyJack

Sat 9 Nov, 2019 12:45 am
@coldjoint,
"high paying Amazon jobs"?
Quote:
Amazon’s median pay works out to about $14 an hour, assuming a full-time worker at 52 weeks a year. That’s a solid wage in many parts of the United States and not so much in other parts. For comparison, Target Corp. recently announced plans to pay at least $15 an hour by the end of 2020.

You're stull living in the last century if you think $14 an hour is high paying..particularly in NY. The target push now for minimum wage adjusted to account for .inflation is $15 an hour. You righties really don't live in the real world. Amazon pays minimum wage, not exactly a prize employer. For $14 an hour you probably couldn't afford even one of slumlord Jared Kushner's rodent-infested apartments.
Builder

Sat 9 Nov, 2019 12:50 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
The target push now for minimum wage adjusted to account for .inflation is $15 an hour.

Kids working at Maccas get more than that in casual wages here in Australia. Good tradesmen get 55 an hour. Great tradesmen get 70.

MontereyJack

Sat 9 Nov, 2019 12:59 am
@Builder,
Well goodonya. Not in the States with Trump's economy.
Builder

Sat 9 Nov, 2019 01:40 am
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
with Trump's economy.

The US economy is rather stable, during this time of upheavals.

The "reserve" banks are being exposed for the ponzi schemes they've been operating, so a healthy economy at such a time is great.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Sat 9 Nov, 2019 02:35 am
@coldjoint,
Have you booked your flight to Moscow in May 2020...Comrade?
glitterbag

Sat 9 Nov, 2019 02:39 am
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
Millennials love her

The ones that could have worked at high paying Amazon jobs she ran out of NYC? She is going to be gone.

Oh my God, I'm busting a gut....hahahahahahahahahahahaha...stop it, I'll get a hernia you scamp.....hahahahahahahahahaha...gasp, gasp..hahahahahahaha, snort....High paying jobs at Amazon...hohohohohohoho. good one
hightor

Sat 9 Nov, 2019 05:27 am
@Baldimo,
Quote:
People like you haven't learned from history and don't really care about US Sovereignty.

Actually it's the lessons of history that taught me to devalue national sovereignty. The nation state is approaching obsolescence.
blatham

Sat 9 Nov, 2019 05:46 am
@revelette3,
Quote:
"I was forced and compelled to come here today," [Bannon] said as he climbed into a waiting SUV outside the courthouse.
Uh, yeah. Bannon, of course, clearly understands the function of a subpoena. Here he's just forwarding the "we Trumpies are all being unfairly victimized, our lives ruined" story.
0 Replies

hightor

Sat 9 Nov, 2019 05:53 am
Vladimir Putin Began ‘Targeting’ Donald Trump When He Was A Businessman, Russia Expert Fiona Hill Testifies
blatham

Sat 9 Nov, 2019 06:06 am
@revelette3,
Quote:
I think he might see an opening to take Biden's spot in representing the moderates
That appears to be the general consensus view. I don't find it entirely satisfying. His personal definition of "moderate" is not likely to match mine.

Quote:
We do need an acceptable centrist democrat
I'm not sure this true. Playing it safe has obvious advantages but it is certainly not always what voters respond to. If the last four years have taught us anything, it's that lesson.

0 Replies

blatham

Sat 9 Nov, 2019 06:09 am
@glitterbag,
Unless things go totally to hell we will probably one day find out what's really going on with Trump and Putin.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 9 Nov, 2019 06:12 am
@hightor,
Quote:
The nation state is approaching obsolescence.
Isaiah Berlin wrote compellingly about this 30 years ago. What's gone on since he died wouldn't have changed his mind.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 9 Nov, 2019 06:15 am
@hightor,
That's a great piece! Thank you.
0 Replies

blatham

Sat 9 Nov, 2019 07:01 am
Politico now has a piece up that's the best thing I've read on Bloomberg's latest shift.
Quote:
Bloomberg’s data gurus first noticed a sharp uptick in Democrats’ obsession with unseating Trump around Sept. 20. That’s when news broke that the president appeared to improperly threaten to withhold aid to Ukraine if the country didn’t open an investigation into Biden and his son Hunter.

Democratic leaders nationally embraced impeachment, and so did Bloomberg. He had been opposed to impeachment but then started to see a path to the nomination open for him — albeit an unorthodox one in which he would focus on the Super Tuesday states and largely bypass the crucial first four voting states.

“The data shifted after impeachment. Democrats were always focused on electability, but after Ukraine that impulse became even stronger. And the current field is not well-poised for success,” said Bloomberg’s adviser, Howard Wolfson, in explaining how the collision of forces caused Bloomberg to rethink his decision not to run.

I don't see any reason to doubt Bloomberg's zest to get Trump out of office. He's undoubtedly far more familiar with Trump's long history of corruption than any of us would be. And there's no question that many of his initiatives while in office and after (eg gun control) appeal to most of us on the left. But there's a LOT of other stuff that would rule him out too.

I don't see a realistic path for him. He's not going to go third party (I'm happy to make a substantial wager with anyone on this) because he and his people grasp that the Dems will suffer from that and that it could surely swing the election to Trump.

I think the greater danger here would fall out from the mainstream media's natural tendencies to conceptualize the current "center" as the safest position to write about and to tacitly support. In this framing, a Warren or a Sanders will be set in contrast and portrayed (in a knee-jerk, unthinking manner) as extreme and dangerous. That, of course, will be precisely the main thrust of right wing narrative.
blatham

Sat 9 Nov, 2019 07:08 am
Winner of this week's It Figures award
Quote:
Paul Manafort’s former son-in-law was sentenced to more than nine years in prison Friday for a wide-ranging series of fraud schemes the court said bilked victims out of more than $6 million.

As U.S. District Judge Andre Birotte Jr. imposed the sentence of nine years and two months on Jeffrey Yohai, the judge blasted the would-be real estate developer as a serial scammer whose “horrific” crimes posed a significant threat to the public, a spokesman for the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Los Angeles said.

Birottte said Yohai’s fraud spree demonstrated both “sophistication” and an “evil mind,” as well as Yohai’s belief that he “could do anything he wanted,” the prosecution spokesman said.
Politico

And yes, they were in business together.
0 Replies

hightor

Sat 9 Nov, 2019 07:27 am
Quote:
Even if scientists end up having lowballed their latest assessments of the consequences of the greenhouse gases we continue to emit into the atmosphere, their predictions are dire enough. But the Trump administration has made its posture toward climate change abundantly clear: Bring it on!

It’s already here. And it is going to get worse. A lot worse.

How Scientists Got Climate Change So Wrong
hightor

Sat 9 Nov, 2019 07:41 am
@blatham,
Quote:
I don't see a realistic path for him.

He's a septuagenarian — he's got that going for him.

If he really wants to see moderate candidate he should run to as a progressive, drawing votes from Sanders and Warren and giving the moderates a better shot. For starters, he could offer to fund Medicare for All.
blatham

Sat 9 Nov, 2019 07:43 am
@hightor,
Quote:
scientists “tend to underestimate the severity of threats and the rapidity with which they might unfold” and said one of the reasons was “the perceived need for consensus.”

Not the first time this human tendency has proved destructive or fatal.
0 Replies