monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

blatham

Wed 23 Oct, 2019 01:35 pm
@hightor,
There really aren't many who can both think well and then get that down on paper coherently and engagingly. You're good at both. That's why I don't like you.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 23 Oct, 2019 01:47 pm
After yesterdays revelations, Fox and Republicans are going all out in their efforts to discount what was revealed and it's political and legal ramifications.

A prime example is this doozy from Keven McCarthy
Quote:
House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) shifted the goalposts for President Donald Trump again on Wednesday, insisting that there could not have been a “quid pro quo” in Trump’s interactions with Ukraine because Ukraine never buckled to Trump’s demands.

Here's the argument if stated honestly:
Trump personally, and using many other agents, tried to get the Ukraine to buckle under and dig up dirt on Biden Jr (or to just suggest they were investigating him wink wink nudge nudge) to help with his electoral campaign but Trump and his agents failed in this obscene and illegal bullying operation because the leader of the Ukraine acting honorably and bravely refused to go along and to all intents and purposes told Trump to go **** himself.

So that's a winner of an argument, ain't it.
blatham

Wed 23 Oct, 2019 01:50 pm
Here's another winner
Quote:
Cornyn Shrugs Off Diplomat’s Explosive Testimony: ‘I Don’t Know Bill Taylor from Adam

Notice how all relevant and salient points are carefully addressed.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Wed 23 Oct, 2019 02:00 pm
@coldjoint,
If you care that deeply and passionately about someone who changes his mind and returnsto a2k after saying hes leaving which is however you look at ig small potatoes, how can you possibly justify continuing to support a presiden g who is demonstrably a congenital liar who lets ou allies be slughtered who calls the condtitution phony who makes dumb decjjlisions on the spur of the moment and sticks with them no matter how stupid. If you codemn blatham endlessly for changing his mind but continue to support trump for lying and rank duplicitly then you have bone of the integrity you boast of.
blatham

Wed 23 Oct, 2019 02:02 pm
Quote:
In the summer of 2015, the House Select Committee on Benghazi was still chasing conspiracy theories, holding a series of closed-door hearings with officials and witnesses. As part of the investigatory process, other members of Congress that were interested in learning more were excluded -- and when former House Oversight Committee Chairman Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) tried to crash a deposition, Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.) blocked him.

...According to Bloomberg News, Donald Trump knew in advance about these far-right members' plan to barge into a secure hearing room -- and the president supported the scheme. In fact, The Daily Beast reported that Trump effectively encouraged them to obstruct the impeachment inquiry.
Benen

Big surprise, that last bit.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Wed 23 Oct, 2019 02:03 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

If you care that deeply and passionately about someone who changes his mind and returnsto a2k after saying hes leaving which is however you look at ig small potatoes, how can you possibly justify continuing to support a presiden g who is demonstrably a congenital liar who lets ou allies be slughtered who calls the condtitution phony who makes dumb decjjlisions on the spur of the moment and sticks with them no matter how stupid. If you codemn blatham endlessly for changing his mind but continue to support trump for lying and rank duplicitly then you have bone of the integrity you boast of.

I'm always leaving and changing my mind. I bet lots of us do that.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 23 Oct, 2019 02:11 pm
@MontereyJack,
Ignore him. He's pushing an ad hominem fallacy. I appreciate that you might have a degree of sympathy for someone who whimpers rather constantly but as Jesus said, "If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. If he slaps that cheek, turn back again. Do this eight times. If he continues, kick him really hard in the nuts." Gospel of Matthew
revelette3

Wed 23 Oct, 2019 02:35 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
There Was No ‘Quid Pro Quo’ Because Ukraine Didn’t Bend To Demands, McCarthy Argues

Quote:
'When you're in a hole, stop digging': Clinton lawyer Greg Craig to President Trump

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/hole-stop-digging-clinton-lawyer-greg-craig-president/story?id=66417523
BillW

Wed 23 Oct, 2019 02:39 pm
@blatham,
There's something else that Bill Taylor related in his testimony that haven't seen or read anyone bring up. This criminal act against Ukraine was premeditated and planned (ie, a conspiracy).

IMHO, the USA is now in the greatest Constitutional Crisis since the Civil War.
blatham

Wed 23 Oct, 2019 02:51 pm
@revelette3,
Of course, my advice to Trump would be the opposite.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 23 Oct, 2019 02:57 pm
@BillW,
Quote:
IMHO, the USA is now in the greatest Constitutional Crisis since the Civil War.
I don't doubt that proposition though I could possibly be corrected by a serious historian of US politics.

Trump's strategy of always working to gain wealth and power by creating maximal chaos through setting people at each other's throats could very well lead to much more serious levels of hateful, violent civil strife. Would he care? Obviously not. Far more likely he'd be thrilled. Sociopaths are not like the rest of us.
0 Replies

BillW

Wed 23 Oct, 2019 03:02 pm
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/will-trump-shut-down-government-fight-impeachment-n1070106

Quote:

Will Trump shut down the government to fight impeachment?

Analysis: Washington is bracing for the prospect that president may seek to let funding lapse in a bid to blame Democrats.

WASHINGTON — Impeachment, meet government shutdown.

With funding for federal operations set to expire Nov. 21, the political class here is beginning to plan for the possibility — or the likelihood, in the eyes of some — that President Donald Trump will shut down the government to try to turn public opinion against House Democrats and their push to impeach him.

"He used it for his almighty wall for the longest shutdown in history, so I don't put anything past him when it comes to this," Sen. Dick Durbin of Illinois, the Democratic minority whip, told NBC News.

It's not just Democrats who have learned that Trump has a tendency to add as many chips to the pile as he can in high-stakes political battles, particularly when things aren't going his way. Right now, according to an impeachment tracker by FiveThirtyEight.com, a plurality of Americans (48.6 percent to 43.3 percent) support removing the president from office.

Trump has a history of seeking dramatic means to alter storylines.
0 Replies

blatham

Wed 23 Oct, 2019 03:04 pm
Quote:
David Atkins
@DavidOAtkins
Remember that Trump and Giuliani weren't just doing this to get dirt on Biden, but to exonerate Putin over 2016.

There is still a deep, dark, very ugly and almost certainly criminal secret we still don't know about with Trump and Putin.

Bookmakers would overwhelmingly be on Atkins side here.
coldjoint

Wed 23 Oct, 2019 03:17 pm
@BillW,
Quote:
America has never been this weak <<<<sigh>>>>

Considering you only listen to the narrative you would have no idea just how strong we are. You are about weakening this country.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Wed 23 Oct, 2019 03:21 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
for changing his mind

Wrong, he broke his word. One of the few things that make someone worth talking to. He has no worth with me. In short, he is a liar.
0 Replies

BillW

Wed 23 Oct, 2019 03:28 pm
@blatham,
These facts have not escaped my perusal over the past weeks. It's just that there is so many acts of tyranny in this one action it is hard to keep all of them current in my mind at the same time. And, this is only one of the many criminal actions being committed by this jerk!
blatham

Wed 23 Oct, 2019 03:35 pm
@BillW,
No kidding. That multiplicity of offences has the effect of dimming our perception of and attention to each/any of them. "Baffle with bullshit". Trump psychopathology includes this strategy and it is employed every day.
blatham

Wed 23 Oct, 2019 03:39 pm
This tweet...
Quote:
Daniel Dale
@ddale8
Alert: The president said a couple minutes ago, "We're building a wall in Colorado. We're building a beautiful wall. A big one that really works."

gains this response from Kevin Kruse...
Quote:
And he's going to make New Mexico pay for it

Incomprehensibly stupid and dishonest, this guy.
BillW

Wed 23 Oct, 2019 03:43 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
.....exonerate Putin over 2016.

There is still a deep, dark, very ugly and almost certainly criminal secret we still don't know about with Trump and Putin.

Might I add, this is what Barr and Durham are flying all over the world to dig up fake fact to switch the 2016 election interference to Ukraine. So it goes.......
blatham

Wed 23 Oct, 2019 03:44 pm
God damn. The NYT fucks up again
Correction: Oct. 23, 2019
Quote:
An earlier version of this article described incorrectly an element of Hillary Clinton's recent comments about Representative Tulsi Gabbard. While Mrs. Clinton said that a Democratic presidential candidate was "the favorite of the Russians," and an aide later confirmed the reference was to Ms. Gabbard, Mrs. Clinton's remark about the “grooming” of a third-party candidate in the 2020 race was in response to a question about the Republicans’ strategy, not about Russian intervention.
0 Replies