monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

izzythepush

Tue 15 Oct, 2019 09:18 am
@blatham,
Punch wasn't a bad magazine. I was a bit upset when it closed down.

I've got some bound editions of collections from the 1890s. They turn up now and again at car boots.
blatham

Tue 15 Oct, 2019 09:23 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
They turn up now and again at car boots
Along with, I presume, Cliff Richard and The Shadows LPs and bullet-riddled bodies of Brexit opponents.
izzythepush

Tue 15 Oct, 2019 09:35 am
@blatham,
This is what you see most of.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/6162NrJnJ4L._SL1000_.jpg

Anything by Baylis and Harding. People get gift sets which cost about £20 which they then sell on for 50p or even a quid.

I don't know why they bother manufacturing anymore. They can buy up their stock for a fraction of the price then resell it, and keep the circle spinning.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 15 Oct, 2019 09:37 am
@blatham,
Brexit is far from over, but you're right we do get more than average at car boots. There are some vendors I won't deal with. Brexit has given the racists and bigots a new lease of life.
coldjoint

Tue 15 Oct, 2019 09:55 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Brexit has given the racists and bigots a new lease of life.

Anyone who cares about British culture and sovereignty is a racist or bigot is an intellectually lazy answer. But quite understandable when you look at its source.
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 15 Oct, 2019 05:27 pm
House Democrats decide not to launch impeachment inquiry

http://www.politico.com/news/2019/10/15/house-democratic-leaders-impeachment-vote-047136

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Builder

Tue 15 Oct, 2019 07:21 pm
@oralloy,
Too many skeletons in their closet, I reckon.

Just because what Biden did in the Ukraine was "sanctioned" by his colleagues, does not make it right.
glitterbag

Tue 15 Oct, 2019 07:30 pm
@Builder,
Does it hurt?
oralloy

Tue 15 Oct, 2019 07:36 pm
@glitterbag,
Why would it be painful for him that the Democrats decided not to launch an impeachment inquiry?
0 Replies

Builder

Tue 15 Oct, 2019 07:49 pm
@glitterbag,
If you had a grasp on reality, you'd understand how easily you're being played by Pelosi and Biden, so try asking yourself that question.

Impeachment was never going to happen.
Just Pelosi's way of admitting they've got nothing.
glitterbag

Tue 15 Oct, 2019 07:55 pm
@Builder,
I just want to know if it hurts?
oralloy

Tue 15 Oct, 2019 08:02 pm
@glitterbag,
Speaking for myself, the Democrats' failure to launch an impeachment inquiry is more funny than anything else -- certainly not painful.

If I had to characterize my feelings on the matter, I'd characterize my feelings as "derisive contempt".
Builder

Tue 15 Oct, 2019 08:02 pm
@glitterbag,
Comprehension was never your strong suit.
0 Replies

Builder

Tue 15 Oct, 2019 08:03 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
the Democrats' failure to launch an impeachment inquiry is more funny than anything else -- certainly not painful.

Exactly. It's a laugh a minute.

Between Pelosi and Biden and Pokahontas, there's plenty to giggle at.

They could try to assemble a comprehensive platform (not just "It's Time") to persuade voters that they have something to offer the nation.

But that seems like hard work, right?

Meanwhile, the prez is fulfilling election promises, and ticking off the bucket list.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Wed 16 Oct, 2019 01:11 am
Quote:
A British family detained in the US after crossing the border from Canada expect to be released and sent back to the UK by Wednesday.

David Connors, 30, and his wife Eilieen, 24, were arrested on 3 October after, they said, they accidentally drove across the border.

The couple and their young baby have been held in a Pennsylvania jail.

In emails to BBC News on Tuesday, the couple said the experience has left them "scarred emotionally".

After their arrest, the family was moved across the country from Washington state to Pennsylvania, to be housed in a family migration detention centre.

"This has been a nightmare, especially for the baby," the Connors wrote in an email to BBC Washington correspondent Chris Buckler on Tuesday.

"To be treated like this is just insane," they wrote, adding that they had visited the US many times previously for holidays.

"We never asked to be here; we should have never been here," they said.

"We are definitely going home in the morning," they continued.

They added that they had no definite plans to return to the US after their release, but hoped to one day take their son to Disney World in Florida.

But Adriana C. Zambrano, Legal Assistant with the Catholic Legal Immigration Network Inc, said the couple had been told before they were going to be released, only for there to be a change of plan.

"So again today they told them that they would be released, but they don't know who to trust, they don't know who to believe, because they were told that before and they were not released.

"That is part of the brutality of immigration detention, is that most of the people who are in immigration detention don't have an idea of when they're going to be released - it is indefinite… there's really no telling of when they're going to be free."

The family's attorney, Bridget Cambria, of Aldea, the People's Justice Center, said the couple had been driving south of Vancouver on 3 October when they took a detour to avoid an animal on the road.

The family said they did not realise they had strayed over the US border.

They were stopped by a police officer who did not read them their rights, nor allow them to "simply turn around" and go back to Canada, according to the complaint.

At first the young family said they were separated - with David Connors being held in a male-only cell, and Eileen Connors and their infant son in a women's cell.

Later, the husband was taken to a detention centre in Tacoma, Washington, while his wife and their baby son were taken to a budget hotel near Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, according to the complaint.

The following morning they say they were driven to the airport, which raised their hopes that they were being flown back to Canada or the UK.

"But that was not the case," Eileen Connors said in a sworn statement. Instead, they were flown to Pennsylvania - on the other side of the country.

They were taken on 5 October to Berks Family Residential Center (BFRC), one of three immigration detention centres in the US that can accommodate families.

US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) have confirmed the family was in detention at the BFRC facility in Leesport, Pennsylvania.

A spokesman for the agency told the BBC that BFRC "provides a safe and humane environment for families as they go through the immigration process".

"Reports of abuse or inhumane conditions at BFRC are unequivocally false," he added.

The couple's sworn statement said the cells were "frigid", and staff had refused to turn the heating on until the end of next month.

"When I ask how I am supposed to keep my baby warm in this horrible cold, all they tell me is to put a hat on him," Mrs Connors said in the statement.

"My baby can't wear a hat all the time, he feels uncomfortable with hats and mittens and starts to cry."

Staff, she added, confiscated her son's formula for three days, as well as his teething powder, and would only provide "disgusting" blankets that smelled "like a dead dog".

They said the baby's skin was now rough and blotchy and he appeared to have an eye infection.

"We have been treated like criminals here, stripped of our rights, and lied to," Mrs Connors said. "It is not right.

"We have been treated unfairly from day one. It is undoubtedly the worst experience we have ever lived through.

"We have been traumatised and it has even damaged our relationship. No one should have to suffer this kind of treatment."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50061122
Walter Hinteler

Wed 16 Oct, 2019 05:14 am
@izzythepush,
The USA has largely excluded Turkey from the international military coalition against the "Islamic State" (IS) because of the invasion of northern Syria.

According to information from several media, the Pentagon ordered on 9 October that Turkey no longer receive any reconnaissance or operational data from the alliance at the headquarters of the "Counter Daesh" coalition in Qatar's Al Udeid. On that day, the Turkish military had flown the first air raids in northern Syria and fired artillery at Kurdish positions.

In fact, the USA has thrown Turkey out of the Washington lead coalition by taking this step. (The exchange of information is at the heart of the coalition. It now has more than 50 states, but only a few participate in military operations against the IS.)
Walter Hinteler

Wed 16 Oct, 2019 06:23 am
@Walter Hinteler,
On Thursday, US Vice President Pence and Secretary of State Pompeo are expected in Ankara for talks on the situation in Syria. But Erdogan does not want to receive them - he will only speak to Trump personally.
revelette3

Wed 16 Oct, 2019 09:26 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I just heard on MSNBC, he changed his mind. I don't know what good it will do in any event unless they are actually able to stop the slaughter. Doing something now seems like trying to chase the horses after deliberately leaving the barn door open.

Trump just said, "not our problem if Turkey goes into Syria."
0 Replies

revelette3

Wed 16 Oct, 2019 09:34 am
@izzythepush,
I am ashamed for my country for not only the British family's horrible detention but for all the people being held under Trump's immigration policy in horrible detention centers. I only have a small hope that a democrat in the White House gets elected and works towards fixing that mess and releasing families/children from those detention centers.
oralloy

Wed 16 Oct, 2019 10:00 am
@revelette3,
It was a Democrat named Obama who built those detention centers.
0 Replies