monitoring Trump and relevant contemporary events

glitterbag

Mon 14 Oct, 2019 10:44 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

If you had any doubts that Liz Cheney is a lying sleezebag
Quote:
In an appearance on “Fox & Friends,” Cheney had said that “there was not an accident that the Turks chose this moment to roll across the border, and I think the Democrats have got to pay very careful attention to the damage they’re doing with the impeachment proceedings.”
WP

We have a dictator in the White House, and now his followers are pointing the finger at everybody who doesn't swoon over His Highness, the Baron of cowardice.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Mon 14 Oct, 2019 10:45 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Jesus. I just watched the video played at the Trump Doral Miami conference. It is much worse than I'd thought. Much worse.

I am starting to get very frightened.........He's a pig.
glitterbag

Mon 14 Oct, 2019 10:50 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

As I understand it, this videpo shows photoshopped trump massacring media figures and people who disagree with him. It was the feature attraction at a "values voter' conference held at a Trump property. Probable violation of the emoluments clause right there. What the **** kind of values voter condones a video of an apparent mass murder Why did it take trump three days to say he doesn't agree with it after it's shown at his property?r? What are the values of someone who goes for murder of those who disagree with you? Why does oralloy think this blatant movie brutal murderous propaganda is some sort of cultural literacy test? Another absolutely indefensible bit of rightist trash.

Because he's of no real consequence and thinks he would do better under an authoritarian regime. HAHAHAHAHAHA, if History repeats itself, and it will, for a very short time a few worms will flourish until they don't. These people worship hate and destruction..........akin to ISIS.
oralloy

Mon 14 Oct, 2019 10:53 pm
@glitterbag,
No. It's because I appreciate good movies.

I also appreciate some bad ones too. But in this case it's my appreciation of good movies that applies.
0 Replies

oralloy

Mon 14 Oct, 2019 10:55 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
blatham wrote:
Jesus. I just watched the video played at the Trump Doral Miami conference. It is much worse than I'd thought. Much worse.

I am starting to get very frightened.........He's a pig.

Certified Fresh by Rotten Tomatoes:

"Stylish, subversive, and above all fun, Kingsman: The Secret Service finds director Matthew Vaughn sending up the spy genre with gleeful abandon."

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/kingsman_the_secret_service/

What is it about good movies that frightens you?
glitterbag

Mon 14 Oct, 2019 11:15 pm
@oralloy,
You didn't see it did you? Or it gave you the jollies.
oralloy

Mon 14 Oct, 2019 11:22 pm
@glitterbag,
I've seen both the movie and the video where Trump's face was photoshopped into the church fight scene.

Both are good.
oralloy

Tue 15 Oct, 2019 12:46 am
@oralloy,
Did anyone else notice that they put Mitt Romney's face on the backstabber? Very Happy
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 15 Oct, 2019 01:11 am
the Trump/Kingsman video

I recommend setting the resolutions to at least 720p. The full version is available in 1080p.

Full Version

Abridged Version
snood

Tue 15 Oct, 2019 01:17 am
@oralloy,
I can’t tell if you really don’t see the danger in promoting stuff like this, or if you’re just pretending not to, for the pure evil hell of it.
izzythepush

Tue 15 Oct, 2019 01:19 am
Quote:
Iran's Islamic Revolution Guard Corps (IRGC) says it has arrested an exiled journalist for allegedly using a messaging app to stir up dissent.

Ruhollah Zam was "guided into the country" as part of a "complicated intelligence operation", the IRGC said.

It is not clear where or how Mr Zam, who was said to be living in Paris, France, was detained.

Mr Zam, 46, the son of reformist cleric Mohammad Ali Zam, has denied any links with foreign intelligence agencies.

He ran the Amadnews website, a popular anti-government online forum which Iran accuses of inciting the nationwide protests of 2017-18.

The news network, which has around 1.4 million followers on encrypted messaging app Telegram, shared videos of protests and damaging information about Iranian officials.

It was shut down by the Iranian government, which said it was fomenting an "armed uprising", but later reopened under a different name.

Mr Zam's arrest, announced on state-owned TV in Iran, was hailed as a victory over Western intelligence services.

The IRGC alleged that Mr Zam was "under the guidance" and protection of intelligence services in France, Israel and the US.

But using "modern intelligence methods and innovative tactics", the IRGC said it was able to "deceive" foreign services and arrest Mr Zam.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-50045089
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 15 Oct, 2019 01:51 am
@snood,
snood wrote:
I can’t tell if you really don’t see the danger in promoting stuff like this, or if you’re just pretending not to, for the pure evil hell of it.

Come now, be serious. Progressives and much of the media have acted pretty unacceptably towards Trump for the past three years.

This is just taking a scene from a famous movie and using it to express outrage at the way progressives and the media have been acting.

After all this impeachment crap, you guys want to complain about a fun video depicting the President fighting back?
blatham

Tue 15 Oct, 2019 03:12 am
@glitterbag,
@MontereyJack,
There's nothing to suggest it was a "feature attraction" or that Trump had anything to do with the video. But the broad denial of all involved in putting on the event that they knew anything about it is a stretch. Clearly no one stopped the showing. And to this point, there's no indication that anyone in the audience protested. It had been posted to youtube at an earlier date.

But all of that tells us a lot about what's happening in the world of the modern GOP.

Edit: the NYT has a piece on this today including...
Quote:
... the video had played on a loop in a conference room next to the resort’s Donald J. Trump Ballroom. Two small television screens were set up in the conference room, where people filtered in and out. The video was projected against a wall, according to one person who attended and shared a photo.

So, presumably it ran all day over and over with people coming in and out and NOBODY STOPPED IT.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 15 Oct, 2019 03:22 am
Those goddamn immigrants are messing up the country!
Quote:
CNN
@CNN
Immigrants have won 38% of the Nobel Prizes awarded to Americans in chemistry, medicine and physics since 2000, according to a recent report from the National Foundation for American Policy
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 15 Oct, 2019 04:33 am
I previously noted the radical theological rant from AG Barr in a speech at U of Notre Dame. Catherin Rampell has a piece up on it that's good until it gets silly as hell.
Quote:
On Friday, in a closed-door speech at the University of Notre Dame, Attorney General William P. Barr talked at length about a “campaign to destroy the traditional moral order.”

The alleged perpetrator of this campaign?

“Militant secularists,” who insist upon keeping government institutions free from the influence of any faith or creed.

To be clear: This was not merely an affirmation — delivered by a devout Catholic, while visiting a Catholic university — of how privately taught religious values can contribute to character development or stronger communities.

No. This appeared to be a tacit endorsement of theocracy.

Amid calling for greater freedom of religion, Barr also called for religion (his religion) to infiltrate government at all levels. He specifically decried the fact that “public agencies — including public schools — are becoming secularized.”

Militant secularism, he said, is to blame for the country’s greatest ills, including drug use, mental illness and “an increase in senseless violence.” Given such crises, Barr urged his audience to fight back against “so-called ‘progressives’ ” and others who insist upon respecting America’s pesky, constitutionally mandated separation of church and state.

“This is not decay,” Barr said. “It is organized destruction. Secularists, and their allies among the ‘progressives,’ have marshalled all the force of mass communications, popular culture, the entertainment industry, and academia in an unremitting assault on religion and traditional values.”

All of that is fine. The quotes are accurate and the charge of theocracy is fully warranted. But then she goes to this place...
Quote:
There are two ways to read these remarks, which were one of three speeches by administration officials in recent days on Christianity’s role in U.S. governance.

One reaction: They’re terrifying. This man who swore to uphold the Constitution has apparently forgotten its prohibition on state establishment of religion. Our nation’s chief law enforcement officer — the person ultimately responsible for ensuring equal treatment under the law — appears to be demonizing anyone who does not share his religious and political values.

But there’s also another, more encouraging way to interpret Barr’s comments: Maybe it was all just one giant, coded subtweet of the boss...

I'll let you read further here but I doubt you'll find her alternate take worth your while.

When we indict the Evangelical community in those many instances where they are more than willing to promote theocratic notions, we can forget that there is a significant and politically influential community within Catholicism that is quite as guilty as those Evangelicals.
izzythepush

Tue 15 Oct, 2019 04:45 am
@blatham,
We have a state religion over here.

As a result we have one of the least religious populations in the world and decent laws concerning women's reproductive rights.

What's really terrifying is the rise of the religious right over the other side of the pond.

I'm not saying state religions are a good thing, but I'm glad I live over here, and not over there.
blatham

Tue 15 Oct, 2019 04:55 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
We have a state religion over here.
Could you explain that to me?
snood

Tue 15 Oct, 2019 04:58 am
@oralloy,
I’ve suspected all along that you were hopeless. I’ve been interacting with you a bit lately just to see if I could detect any humanizing aspect, any hint of basic decency. You are one of the lowest forms of human life I’ve ever encountered and I will be very grateful if neither I, nor anyone I care a whit about never interact in any way with you again. I know I will experience temptation just to tell you what scum you are, but knowing your hopeless wretchedness I’m sure will allow me to resist wasting the effort.
Lash

Tue 15 Oct, 2019 05:00 am
@blatham,
The Church of England.
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 15 Oct, 2019 05:05 am
@snood,
Progressives sure don't like it when people stand up to them and their demented ideology.
0 Replies